Author Topic: Official Mochitsuki 2008 thread  (Read 11033 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Official Mochitsuki 2008 thread
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:06 am »
Kumoricon is a Community Partner for Mochitsuki, a Japanese American New Years Celebration and cultural fair.

We'll be hosting a promotional table at the festival. Visit our table to pre-reg for the con, and also for some cosplay crafts and activities (exact activities to be determined).

This event takes place on Sunday, January 27:

Portland Community College, Sylvania Campus
College Center
12000 SW 49th Ave
Portland, OR 97219

Google Maps

Mochitsuki web site

Imagine sweet, pounded mochi rice cakes, taiko drumming and hula. That's right hula dance. This year when the annual Japanese celebration, Mochitsuki 2008, kicks off the Year of the Rat, it will take a Hawaiian twist.

The Portland area Japanese American community invites the public to join in its lively celebration. We welcome the New Year with a stage program of taiko drumming, hula, traditional Japanese folk dance, and storytelling, and a Cultural Fair featuring a community stage, displays, and hands-on activities for all ages on Sunday, January 27th, on the Portland Community College Sylvania Campus.

Storyteller Alton Chung will emcee 'Mochitsuki with Aloha' at the 1pm and 3:15pm performances in the Performing Arts Center. The exuberant Asian American drum performance group, Portland Taiko and their youth group, Tanuki Taiko, will deliver heart-pounding rhythms. This year's program will also include Robert Kikuchi-Yngojo's poetically playful storytelling and Japanese folk dance by Sahomi Tachibana's dance troupe and Fujinami-Kai. It wouldn't have aloha without some hula dance by Aukai Laa and Kaau Ahina.

As part of Kumoricon's involvement, we are selling tickets to the stage performances. We need to sell at least 10 tickets as a Community Partner so if you plan on attending this event, please visit our online order form at here. (The deadline has passed for mail-in ticket purchases.)

Performances are at 1pm and 3:15pm on January 27th. Tickets are $12 for adults, $9 for seniors and students, and $5 for children ages 2 to 11 (plus a processing fee of about $1.25 per ticket).

Online ticket order form

We have updated the ticket purchase link so you still buy them online past the previous deadline! They are now purchased from Brown Paper Tickets instead of from Kumoricon's ticketing service, and there is now a small processing fee (about $1.25) added per ticket. However, these are the same tickets as sold online previously. If you plan on attending Mochitsuki, please buy a ticket for the stage performance as our promotion of these tickets is what makes our participation in the cultural fair possible. Also, if you buy these tickets online because you learned about it through Kumoricon, please post in the thread or let us know at publicity@kumoricon.org because we'd like to get an estimate of the number of ticket sales that we were able to promote.

All tickets that were sold at the January 12 general meeting or online through Acteva are will call. If purchasing through Brown Paper Tickets, we recommend choosing will call due to the short amount of time until the event.

At the Cultural Fair in the nearby College Center, Japanese American and Hawaiian community groups will come together to showcase their culture and traditions from noon to 4pm. Food and entertainment always go hand-in-hand at these festivals. The PCC Food Service Department will open its sushi bar and serve Japanese and Hawaiian specialties for the event while the Community Stage will feature local performing groups and clubs. Activities such as calligraphy, flower arranging and crafts provide hands-on opportunities and complement community organizations' informational booths. There is a suggested donation of $2 for adults and $1 for children for entrance into the Cultural Fair. Tickets for Mochitsuki with Aloha include fair admission.

One essential delicacy of any Japanese New Year celebration is mochi, a sticky rice cake. Traditionally, the rice is pounded into soft dough in a mortar, the usu, with a large wooden mallet called a kine. Pounding mochi requires a team effort and timing, with one person wielding the kine and another brave person flipping over the mound of hot, steaming rice between the impacts of the mallet. Once the rice has reached a smooth, consistent texture, the dough is pinched off into individual servings and shaped into a smooth round. Traditional mochi pounding demonstrations will take place at the Cultural Fair.

Now in its 12th year, Mochitsuki draws a crowd of more than 2,500. Mochitsuki is supported by the Japanese Ancestral Society, the Japan-America Society of Portland and the Consulate General of Japan and sponsored by Japanese American Citizens League, Oregon Nikkei Legacy Center, Portland Community College Multicultural Center and Portland Taiko.

Updated news: The event organizers plan on showing the anime film Nitaboh, sponsored by the Consulate General of Japan. It is planned to start at 1:45pm and last about 2 hours. (Perhaps a little less as the running time of the movie is reported as 90 minutes.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:45:01 pm by JeffT »
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: Official Mochitsuki 2008 thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:36 am »
We are looking for volunteers to help with our booth. Although the event runs from 12:00noon to 4:00pm, table setup begins at 10:00am and teardown ends at 6:00pm. If we have more people, then our volunteers can rotate giving others a chance to explore the event and perhaps attend the stage performances.

As a community partner, we are encourged to offer some simple craft-style activities for attendees of the cultural fair at our table. A natural fit for us is cosplay-related activities, such as cat-ear making. Another possibility is art-related activities.

If you would like to contribute ideas, supplies, or help run some activities at the booth--or just to help with setup and registration--please post in this thread or contact publicity@kumoricon.org. We'd like to get several ideas!

This will be the first year we've participated in Mochitsuki so it'd be awesome to make a great first appearance. We typically get many registrations at Japanese cultural events so with our booth activities we can attract even more attention.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:08:43 am »
if we buy the tickets thru k-con where do we pick them up?

chris and i should be able to help yay we are finaly at this fun event
hmm time to figure out fun activities for the booth
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:16:39 am »
The tickets can be picked up right at the festival. We'll be posting more info about the exact process as it gets closer.

We didn't want to mail the tickets because once the reg deadline passes, it's only two weeks until the event so it's not as much leeway in case something is lost or delayed in the mail.

Thanks for offering to help! Once we have a few volunteers we'll make more detailed plans.

Offline TsukikoAiko

• Chibi
    • The Guilty Brigade
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »
I'm already going to be there helping PCC's Japanese language program booth, but only for about 45 minutes. (I haven't been emailed with my exact time yet) When I'm not helping them out I have no problem helping you guys.
Sakuracon 09- A.B.A or S-ko, Subaru, & Sophitia
Kumoricon 09- Guilty Gear, Who knows, & SECRET!!!

THE GUILTY BRIGADE COSPLAY GROUP!
http://www.myspace.com/guilty_brigade

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »
Jeff I have the official street team "cart of doom" and I have that day off so count me in for volunteers, so please just send me a PM with instructions on if I have to buy a ticket or what to do, I'm excited though!!  I made need to carpool however because I have never been there hmm

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:25:47 pm »
dont worry leashy chris and i are going, we have tickets for the 1:00 showing too, its pretty easy to find
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »
I've updated the original post with two new pieces of information:

You can purchase stage performance tickets past the original deadline using this link: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/21964. There is now a processing fee added of $1.21 or $1.29 depending on the ticket type.

The Mochitsuki organizers will be showing the anime film Nitaboh at 1:45pm, lasting from 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I'll be contacting those who have volunteered for this event this weekend! Thank you everyone!

Offline Mecha Mecha Media

• Sailor Scout
    • Mecha Mecha Media
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:51:13 pm »
I enjoyed visiting the table and seeing all the enthusiastic cat-ear makers. I think that was a great PR idea.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:53:41 pm »
It was great. I think you got a lot of potential con goers!

There was a table selling yummy onigiri! ♥

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:07:18 pm »
I love this event. Makes me so happy.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl