Author Topic: explaining kingdom hearts to a non anime/video gamer peep ?  (Read 5973 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
explaining kingdom hearts to a non anime/video gamer peep ?
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:13:39 am »
Okay I have this co-worker who is the biggest winnie the pooh fan and a while back she told me she found funny pictues of winnie the pooh (she loves pooh) online and told me the other day that she thinks its from a game (she was hopping it was a movie),  now leaves me to explain kindom hearts and how it involves pooh bear, yaa, i know the first game pretty well but not the second, and this peep doesnt really now the concept of many world co-existing and such
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
Re: explaining kingdom hearts to a non anime/video gamer peep ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:20:15 am »
It's fun and it involves Disney characters?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:23:38 am »
more like the story cuz she dosent have a ps2 and prob never will

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:17:45 pm »
wikipeadia is the answer to everything.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:18 pm »
wikipeadia is the answer to everything.
Unless it's April Fools day when people tend to attack it.

Gah, wish I could give a summary of the story but I haven't completed the game yet.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:17:43 pm »
www.gametrailers.com is a good place for her to see videos, too.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »
it's a contrived piece of drivel designed to separate raging FF fanbois/gurls from their cash? And it works?
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:21:45 pm »
In my cranky yet partially tongue-in-cheek opinion,
explain it like a bicycle with training wheels:

The Disney characters are the training wheels.
Donald Duck and Goofy are the wheels, and you should be embarrassed to associate them with anime. You want to 'grow out of them' as quick as possible.

So you transition to Ghibli studio stuff (Miyazaki+Disney=still too kiddie/cheezy) and then to mixed production (half-breed) works like Transformers or Vampire Hunter D  -  non-Japanese studios or creators still partially present in the mix, that's like when you raise the training wheels up a notch or two so they're not always on the ground.

You could then call English dubs another notch up (or down - depends on your opinion.)

Once you're on-board with subtitled, fully-Japanese animation: Gonzo, Madhouse, Pony Canyon, Broccoli, Studio Pierrot, Gainax, ... and you're starting to pick up vocabulary, grammar, and cultural notes that won't work in English - the training wheels are off.

Kudos, a gold star, and a pair of snappy-looking Spandex bike shorts if you made it through this phase and can name some of your favorite seiyuu, but cannot name a single English voice actor.

Then when you graduate to watching raws - that's a unicycle!

PS: Air Bender and Invader Zim would be tricyles: 0% Japanese content = not even beginning to be anime.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:32:48 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 04:56:01 pm »
Okay, except there was nothing about anime in the first place. It was about a person who likes Disney and a picture they saw that looked like a VIDEO GAME...

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:12:56 pm »
Okay, except there was nothing about anime in the first place. It was about a person who likes Disney and a picture they saw that looked like a VIDEO GAME...
But the word 'anime' appears in the subject line... Guess that threw me...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 01:33:08 am »
In my cranky yet partially tongue-in-cheek opinion,
explain it like a bicycle with training wheels:

The Disney characters are the training wheels.
Donald Duck and Goofy are the wheels, and you should be embarrassed to associate them with anime. You want to 'grow out of them' as quick as possible.

So you transition to Ghibli studio stuff (Miyazaki+Disney=still too kiddie/cheezy) and then to mixed production (half-breed) works like Transformers or Vampire Hunter D  -  non-Japanese studios or creators still partially present in the mix, that's like when you raise the training wheels up a notch or two so they're not always on the ground.

You could then call English dubs another notch up (or down - depends on your opinion.)

Once you're on-board with subtitled, fully-Japanese animation: Gonzo, Madhouse, Pony Canyon, Broccoli, Studio Pierrot, Gainax, ... and you're starting to pick up vocabulary, grammar, and cultural notes that won't work in English - the training wheels are off.

Kudos, a gold star, and a pair of snappy-looking Spandex bike shorts if you made it through this phase and can name some of your favorite seiyuu, but cannot name a single English voice actor.

Then when you graduate to watching raws - that's a unicycle!

PS: Air Bender and Invader Zim would be tricyles: 0% Japanese content = not even beginning to be anime.
This whole post just kind of seems to be out of the blue.  It vaguely relates to Kingdom Hearts in one sentence, and doesn't at all seem to match the topic.  I don't even see where you could have just read the subject line and punched out a rant.  You might as well have just posted a new topic for the sake of ranting. :/
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:07 am »
Guycan rant if he wants to, I have felt that way at my work before usaly when they look at me crazey when i mention somthing  this was actual dialog at my work
 worker A to b c and jaz "I have been so busy its been like a time warp!"
jaz "lets do the time warp again!"
worker a b c looks at me like i just sprouted a second head
jaz "its just a jump to the left?"
see last responce
jaz "sigh"

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »
Quote from: DancingTofu
This whole post just kind of seems to be out of the blue.
Yes, well, I can get random at times, especially after a long, hard day... But all was meant in good fun.

Quote from: DancingTofu
It vaguely relates to Kingdom Hearts in one sentence, and doesn't at all seem to match the topic...
My basic reaction was 'Oh noes,' we already have Disney contamination in anime, and now (from the first line of the first post) we have contamination threats from Winnie, Eyore, etc...
Deflector shields - MAX POWER!!!! ( as a comicly exaggerated spazz panic...)

Anyways that was the cognitive association I made, just like S-jaz when you make a cosmic tangent association and not everyone jumps on board with you...

I guess, in the context of cons and this blog, I react similarly to topics of game characters and topics of TV, movie, or story characters. Kinda reminds me of a Sakuracon around 2002 - someone saw a Yuna cosplay and I overheard her say "Final Fantasy? I thought this was an anime con - why are there game characters here?"

Hope everyone is having a good weekend...
I'm getting more nibbles and interviews on the job front...
feels like it's getting close...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 02:50:16 pm »
Okay.  I was just kind of wondering where all that was coming from.  Basically, I think this is what was left out of all of that:
"I'm bothered by how Kingdom Hearts blurs the lines between distinct interest groups, and makes those observing it from the outside have a faulty understanding of the real fandom."
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 12:43:41 pm »
Or,
"I'm bothered by how I enjoy lampooning and otherwise pointing out how Kingdom Hearts blurs the lines between distinct interest groups, and makes those observing it from the outside have a faulty understanding of the real enjoy creating lists implying a series of stepping stones to solid platinum fandom, whatever that may be"

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 02:36:55 pm »
Wow, it certainly is rather rage/vendetta in here.

But if you want to explain it to someone who has no knowledge of the game or anime, Jaz, then I would suggest as such:

"Oh, that's from a game about a kid that has to save the universe with the help of Donald Duck and Goofy Goof, and in the process he visits a bunch of classic Disney movies and children's books. At one point he visits the Book of Pooh."

And that's all there is to it. If they ask for clarification on the save the universe bit, just say he fights with a selection of over-sized keys (maybe throw in a brief explanation that little monsters are eating people's hearts) and that usually shuts up the people that ask me.