Author Topic: The General Populus and You!  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
The General Populus and You!
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:02:31 pm »
The con is creeping upon us like some sort of predatory animal and soon you will be venturing out into the big city of Portland to find yourself nourishment in your costume. So I'd thought I list out a few good Protips for when you do.

1. Leave the huge props at the hotel room/car.
Despite the interesting looks you'll get from people who did not know what's with the person in the hooded leather coat with the giant key. It is not worth the risk of breaking it or local hoodlums messing with you.

2. Leave the crazy wigs too.
Once again things can and will go wrong.

3. If it's late go with a group.
This is just common sense, Portland at night is not always the safest place in the world.

4. Tying in with #3, If you're costume is rather revealing, cover it up.
Coats and jackets are your friends ladies. Portland is known for it's weirdos.

5. If your costume is a gigantic dress, bring pants to wear when leaving the hotel grounds.
Portland is a busy place and people will not care if they step on your Bridal gown Rinoa's dress trail thing.

6. If people ask what's with the costume, answer them quickly and concisely.
Most people do not want to hear the complete story of your favorite show when asking a question. But if they do show interest by all means direct them to google.

7. If you are in a mascot costume leave it at the hotel.
As cool as it would be to see a giant Moogle running around the streets of Portland, it does take up alot of space.

8. If you do not have a place to store your costume pieces, sent out a friend to get your food.
Less hassle and worry that way.

And there you go 8 tips to make you convention time a grand time.

Feel free to add more if you think of one.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:36:26 am by Man of the Public »

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
Re: The General Populus and You!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:10:00 pm »
I would suggest not wearing anything that would completely cover your face. Whether it's makeup, a mask, or anything else. If you're going into a restaurant or something the employees, if unaware of the convention's presence, could assume that you're up to no good and you could get yourself into serious trouble. No matter how cool it makes you look, robberies do happen and even if that's not your intent people can jump to conclusions rather easily.

Just a thought though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:17:45 pm by Romo »
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:04 pm »
You actually are not allowed to wear anything covering your face in most stores, I know Alyssa had to take off her Gaz head when we were in the Hotel lobby at the Doubletree, and at the mall we got stopped by security and she was asked to remove it.
I miss 2010.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:50:18 pm »
very nice, they do make a lot of sense, and are good to know.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »
All excellent things to remember. :D
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:46:25 pm »
Of course, remembering them and applying them are two different things...

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:54:28 pm »
nice advice xD I dunno sometimes its fun to take teh crazy wigs but only occasionally if your daring : )

and I agree with a lot of your points. Downtown Portland is WAY different from where we were last year. Were going to be in the heart of the town, which is MEGA crowded so there will be a LOT of people around.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 03:26:29 pm »
nice advice xD I dunno sometimes its fun to take teh crazy wigs but only occasionally if your daring : )

and I agree with a lot of your points. Downtown Portland is WAY different from where we were last year. Were going to be in the heart of the town, which is MEGA crowded so there will be a LOT of people around.
Well wigs are fine, I was talking about crazy huge or ones with a bunch of stuff in them.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:19:40 pm »
Be polite.

No, really.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:20:06 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:49:06 pm »
I only have one thing to say to people, and it's this:

REMEMBER, your behavior reflects on ALL of us, not just you, so BEHAVE. Be nice, be courteous, be polite. Don't be rude and loud and obnoxious just because you're having a little too much fun. If someone has a bad experience with a cosplayer, they're probably not going to be too friendly to the rest of us.

Yep.