Author Topic: Which Samurai Champloo series should I buy?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
Which Samurai Champloo series should I buy?
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:23:46 am »
I don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes.

I rented the first four episodes of Samurai Champloo to see if I'd like it, since I'm trying to see if I'd like some anime shows (I'm just getting started). It was great stuff, so I'm interested in buying the series now.

However, there are a few different box sets out there.

One is newer looking and looks like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220481837371

It's also a tad more expensive.

Then there's this one, which is much much cheaper, and makes me wonder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Samurai-Champloo-Complete-tv-series-anime-DVD-eng_W0QQitemZ110437530285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b696faad&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Finally there is this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANIME-Samurai-Champloo-DVD-TV-Series-NEW-ENG-ANIME_W0QQitemZ260480701272QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca5dc1358&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's also relatively cheap.

So, any suggestions? The characters spoke English in the version I rented, and that works for me.

Thanks!

Offline fhqwhgads41185

• Cabbit
    • Myspace
Re: Which Samurai Champloo series should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:40:53 am »
I would buy the second one you mentioned. I'd recommend the third one but I am a bit concerned with it saying "NEW ENGLISH." Does it mean its in English and the box set is new? Or does it mean it was dubbed by different voice actors? I felt the original English voice actors did very well in that series. I didn't read too much on those ebay sites. Another thing to look for is whether or not they are import. I myself buy import because they're cheaper, but you're also more likely to get a disk that doesn't work sometimes that way.
If music be the food of love, play on; give me excess of it that, surfeiting, the appetite may sicken and so die.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:34:29 pm »
Is everything E-Bay?

Did you look for recommendations form such as anidb.net? Or animeondvd.com or animenewsnetwork.com ? I just say this, as they give more comprehensive answers than I would ever dream.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:08:30 pm »
No, this is the first place I went, since I'm just getting into anime, I don't know many other options.

Yes, all 3 were on ebay.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »
Me personally, I am just way leary of buying used from anywhere, let alone E-Bay. For one, I ended up buying the mini cd versions, or whatever those things are, I think to play on PSPs or something.

You may go for the recent release, it seems that it's just cheaper, as the show is older. I cannot verify anything different about it, from a quick look through animenewsnetwork

Have Fun

Jay

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »
Yeah, all 3 links though were new (on ebay).. Thanks for the anime dvd links though, I'm looking into it now.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:26:29 pm »
Then think about getting Samurai 7. and then...lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline fhqwhgads41185

• Cabbit
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 12:48:09 am »
If you're considering buying at another place I would also recommend looking into animemax.net Its an import site, but its the cheapest place I've found for new anime. They have a wide selection, unfortunately its not a stable collection. What I mean is, they may have Samurai Champloo available one month, and not even on their site the next. You also have to keep an eye out for the words "English Dubbed." If it doesn't have that specifically written by the title then it isn't.
If music be the food of love, play on; give me excess of it that, surfeiting, the appetite may sicken and so die.