Author Topic: Cosplay Maintenance  (Read 1684 times)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Maintenance
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:52:08 pm »
I don't know if this belongs in the Cosplay or the Help section.

I'm at a point where most of my cosplays are in need of restoring and others are only half done.

I don't want to show up to an event without one, but I also don't want to show up with a sloppy and ragged old one.
Anyone else been in this situation? If so, what did you do about it?
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cosplay Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:00:23 pm »
Why don't you just finish, or fix your cosplays?~
That's what I would do. -Shrug- :3

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:23 pm »
Yeah... I've never been in that situation, so I can't help (sorry! >.<) but in order to keep my costumes in good condition, I wear them very gently and then hang them in the closet in the paper/plastic covers that you get when you pick up your clothes from the dry cleaner~ To cure costumes that aren't finished...well... finish them! xD

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:45:40 pm »
Yeah the best thing would be to take the time to finish them and make them look as good as they possibly can.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:35 pm »
Yeah, that really is your best bet. If you want to cosplay, you've just got to find the time to get it done to the best of your abilities and resources. There is always more time after the con to update and tweak things, also.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:58:12 pm »
Always make sure to keep them in good condition. If you find a rip, don't wait to fix it. If there's a stain, immediately get at it with a scrubby brush. Always hang things up. Treat your cosplays like regular clothes.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:41:00 am »
So would one, big, well done cosplay at only one event per month work better than struggling, floundering and dying, trying to keep up with everyone else and staying active?

I know it's impossible to come to everything but...but the events I do come to, I don't feel like I tried hard enough, when apparently I'm trying too hard. I can't help tearing my hair out having to miss an event waiting forever to finish a cosplay, then when it's finally done, hope and pray that it looks presentable. I really don't have any friends nearby to help me that I know of. If there are, I don't have a cell to randomly call and meet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 02:19:38 am by TurboSaiyanJason »

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:16:10 am »
I think it's better to have one well done cosplay, than to struggle to have many, just because others have them.

I was the same way. I started with only going to do one, but then I wanted to do characters from the same series that my friends are doing, so now I have 5 cosplays that I'm doing. I'm doing my best to do them justice, but I probably should have stayed with one or two.

Though, also, once you get the hang of searching and making stuff, it just goes faster and still looks really good. I guess that's really what happened with me. But, if you find that you're struggling to finish and you're not proud of what you have, than I'd say just stick with one or two and be happy with those!
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 02:59:26 am »
The I have had the same delemma. Most of my cosplays are of characters from Inuyasha, Dragon Ball and an attempted Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon, these shows that i call "the old relics." While I'm one of the few that cosplays them, most everyone else is busting out Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Kingdom Hearts 2 which I finally have, and the other games of FF7 while I only had the pleasure of playing through the one, original game and finally watching the Advent Children movie.

I thought I was being looked at for not having one of the "in" themed cosplays and wearing relics of days long past, than how fast and clumsily I pulled it together from unusual combinations of clothing. Inuyasha had some fans at Sakuracon, and Red the ninja had a brief spotlight at MEWcon, but never anywhere else have I gotten praise for my attempts.

Actually I also cosplay as Inuyasha, not just because I love the series, but because I feel the same way he does. "Not really an outsider, not dedicated to one thing. There's no place for me, so I had to make one for my own. Then I realized, I had a place, but I was the only one in it." I would also cosplay as Cloud if I had the money and patience to wait for the online orders, not just because I'm a fan, but because he fits my profile. In a way, Naruto does too, but Sasuke gets all the fangirls and has easier parts to find.

I know what needs to be done now...my old wigs are going to be looked at for possible help. Meanwhile, I'll just get new ones from the same store I bought them before. And I keep forgetting that I'm going to come, guns blazing as Goku for K-con.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:10:32 am by TurboSaiyanJason »

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 03:09:32 am »
The characters that I'm cosplaying aren't only because it's from the same series as my friend's cosplays, but also because I love those characters! I couldn't care less if I'm cosplaying a reconizable character or not, and if I am, than good for me. I like the praise, but only if it's because of what my cosplay looks like, and not just because of the character I am (though it's always fun to find other fans!).

I'd say you should cosplay the people you want to cosplay, and not just because they're popular. Just have fun with it! And I'll make sure to hunt you down at con ^^
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 03:34:28 am »
If you can catch a ninja! Mwahahaha! Or if I'm Goku and I'm Super saiyan 4...I could catch you while you'd be in mid glomp. Also what am I saying? The next event isn't until August 8th! I still have some time left.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 03:35:18 am »
Yes! When we're bowling for ninjas ^^
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 03:48:01 am »
And now I return to my lair, where I shall plot big plots! Then awaken to my forge, where a thousand cosmoses will rise and fall and trumpets will blare a thunderous blast at the might of my hands and...*ka-bump* _-_zzzzzzzz

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 03:51:08 am »
Uh....