Author Topic: How do you prep for cosplay?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
How do you prep for cosplay?
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:05:15 pm »
I saw this on cgl and I wanted to bring it here too. The night before and the morning of a convention how do you prepare? Some people shave their legs and paint their nails.

If I am cosplaying a girl I will typically shave my legs. And I always put on a facial mask the night before to prevent pimples. If the character has a certain nail color I will paint it the night before.

Does anyone have any beauty tips? Like a conditioner for your hair or anything like that?

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: How do you prep for cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:08:52 pm »
I don't do anything special for my hair; cough, cause I wear wigs, but I always paint my nails yellow~ x33 (Len's nails are yellow. ;D)
I also do what you said and cleanse my face really well to stop anything bad from popping up. oxo;;

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »
The proactive refining mask works really really well. I have sensitive skin and this mask is tough enough to stop pimples but gentle enough to not severely dry out my skin.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:17:28 pm »
Ah, I also use the proactiv refining masks before cons! :33
I think another way to prep is to make sure you get to bed pretty early, so that your eyes aren't all red and baggy. o 3 o

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:24:19 pm »
Not that I can sleep the first night. After day 1 I am able to sleep just fine, just not the night before day 1 x.x

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »
Roll in garbage the day before a con so I smell like HEAVEN.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »
Genious.
Speaking of scents, I like to use really good smelling scrup like mango or strawberry scented~!

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:35:06 pm »
Roll in garbage the day before a con so I smell like HEAVEN.
Oh you too?

Offline Aero

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:05 pm »
With my procrastination, I'm finishing my cosplays til' 1 the night before. xD If not, I make sure they are all neat, and packed up as to make sure they don't mess up or wrinkle. Also I do the same thing with my skin everyday up to con, which usually is for weeks before. I have my friends stay the night because we share a room. I take a shower with the nicest products I can afford, which is Aussie and Olay products. Which are awesome if you were raised off crap Suave.
CREATER OF T.P.C. COSPLAY GROUP - Based in Gresham , wanna join ? Pm me . 8D
Alois is set for Sakura-con !!! HUZZZAH !

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 12:24:21 am »
I eat a lot, take a nice long bath/shower, set out everything I'll be putting on in the morning, set an alarm clock and try to get to bed before midnight. In the morning I'll get up nice and early, thoroughly wake myself up so as to avoid mistakes, and then stand around in my underroos and do my makeup.

During this entire process I stab myself in the eye at least once.

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 01:24:43 am »
Oily hair + wig caps = FFFFFF

Oh I know this terror all too well... that's what I get for having super thin hair. Anywho I pretty much follow the same routine as everyone else, I'll shave my legs, use a nice facial scrub and other girly bath goodies to smell nice and fresh, and do nails if needed. I'll put on my costumes and wigs one last time and then TRY to get to bed at a decent time.
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 01:45:18 pm »
Sleep, at least 6-7 hours. :) I finish all my cosplays well in advance.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 02:02:54 pm »
I usually go to sleep early, and wake up equally so.
I wash my face, put on enough make up so it's mostly unnoticeable.
When it comes to hair, I usually prefer to keep in the wig on for the full day, so I don't do anything with my hair.
Depending on how much skin the costume shows, I will or will not shave my legs, as for some it is relevant and others not so much.
I do wear perfume, but not enough that it makes other people (or me for that matter) gag and die.

Then, I get in the car, and drive three hours to see you guys.
Yup.
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 05:56:43 pm »
the night before i always get into character and my family thinks its really odd seeing me like that

Offline Sevonne

• Cabbit
    • Ronnen @ DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18:25 pm »
HUMMMM...well, last year my friends all came over and crashed at my house. We danced around in our costumes and did a mini photoshoot, finished up our extras, gathered our things into piles, and then my buddies crashed. I, on the other had, stayed up til like 1AM-2AM finishing my cosplay and my husband's. We went as Tetris blocks last year--incidentally, barely anybody knew what Tetris was and many thought I was a |?| block from mario. O_O I HAD NO "?".
We all got up really early, I picked up a friend who couldn't stay the night, got coffee, went back to my apartment, applied our makeup, and LEFT FO THE CON! 8D

Anyhoo, this year, my friends and I are working steadily on our costumes NOW. We've gotten quite a bit finished, in fact. ;) I'm about 30% finished on my Mia outfit, just need to make some purchases for contacts, hair extensions, etc.

Usually if I'm preparing for an event that I'm required to look above presentable at, I'll start off with a hot bath with fragrant oils and (sometimes) candles. I then shave my legs, wash up, and lotionize with something that moisturizes amazingly and smells nice. I'll then either blowdry my hair or put it up so that it's easy to style in the morning. I get up early, apply my makeup, do my hair, eat a small breakfast, and DO MY THANG O YEAH. xD
Also, the night before I try to eat a light meal that's not high in sodium so I don't wake up bloated the next morning. ><;

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 01:49:10 am »
I just get all pumped up (by running around and being random)

China bound!!!

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 09:55:35 am »
Griff I do the same thing

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 12:58:42 pm »
I don't like putting wet hair under a wig, though I do it sometimes, so I shower the night before. And shave at that time too. I also iron my costumes the night before, so they're all nice and presentable when I want to wear them! And I try to get a good amount of sleep, because cons require energy, and if all the life is sucked out of your face it's just not good. Well, unless you're going for that effect... But it's not really controllable so I wouldn't recommend it. :D

I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »
xD i shower/bathe and shave... a female with a short skirt andhairy legs just isnt nice to look at xD!

i triple check to make sure i have everything for the next days costume(s), eat a decent sized dinner (because i forget to eat at cons sometimes) and try my hardest to get some sleep. next morning i put on the costumes under clothing and do my hair/makeup, put on the costume and if it requires one the wig is the last thing to go on. then check to make sure i have all the acceseries and GO! xD... oh and if it fits the char dab on a little smell-good spray so i dont smell horrid
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)