Author Topic: The internet is not srs bzns  (Read 3294 times)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
The internet is not srs bzns
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:17:08 pm »
Before i delve into another lecture, let me just say that i apologize to all of those who i may have offended, ticked off, or even "trolled" on this forum.

To me the internet is a place where people don't need to worry about things like stress, drama, and bullies, so i see people that do worry about these things on the internet as weak. If you let things get to you that easily, maybe you should not be here.

Now once again, as i say in all of my controversial lectures; don't get me wrong.
I'm not saying that everyone who has ever been trolled, or has taken offense to something on the internet is doing something wrong, i just feel that they should suck it up and deal with it.

This thread is not meant for anyone specific to read, it is not meant to be a personal attack, and it is not meant to be offensive, so please don't take it that way. This thread is but a healthy reminder that the internet is not real life, and should not be treated as such. Treating the internet as if it were real life can result in many things that could be harmful to you, or the people around you.

So next time somebody is calling you names, offending you, trolling, or whatever, just sit back, relax and remember:

THE INTERNET IS NOT SRS BZNS.

Discuss.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
Re: The internet is not srs bzns
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »
Internet is leisure time.
Someone should not have to put up with negativity when they are relaxing. No one should ever have to 'just deal with it' not on the internet, not in real life. These are real people, the internet changes nothing.
I miss 2010.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:04 pm »
So does this mean you are Mustach's brother?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:43 pm »
Internet is leisure time.
Someone should not have to put up with negativity when they are relaxing. No one should ever have to 'just deal with it' not on the internet, not in real life. These are real people, the internet changes nothing.

Anyone who has any experience on the internet knows how to deal with a troll. If they don't, they either need to learn or GTFO.

Let's face it. Everyone gets trolled at least once. How they handle it is up to them, but honestly, don't you think its stupid for somebody to get depressed over something that happens online?

The internet is a place where people go to have fun, and relax, i can definitely agree with that, so if they can't relax on the internet, why don't they just leave?

No matter what you do or say, trolls will always be there. There is no way of stopping it, so people like that need to learn to live with it.

No im not mustash's brother, i just have similar ideals.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:25:45 pm »
I don't deal with crap and I don't think I should have to, sorry.

Especially with this forum, this isn't just an internet forum, these are people we've met and spent time with, honestly this is the only place I visit online anymore because what our society deems acceptable is not acceptable to me.

Trolling has never been tolerated on these forums, and it shouldn't ever be.

Addition:

This thread shouldn't exist. I hope some mod will take it upon themselves to disband it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:27:00 pm by DemonSpawn »
I miss 2010.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:29:46 pm »
I don't deal with crap and I don't think I should have to, sorry.

Especially with this forum, this isn't just an internet forum, these are people we've met and spent time with, honestly this is the only place I visit online anymore because what our society deems acceptable is not acceptable to me.

Trolling has never been tolerated on these forums, and it shouldn't ever be.

Addition:

This thread shouldn't exist. I hope some mod will take it upon themselves to disband it.

Ok, so what you are saying is that this thread should not exist, and we should not talk about the issues of the forum, and we should not try to solve the problems that are existent here?

you say that this is the only place you come too anymore, and that trolling should be dealt with, but you are trying to shoe away the issue here.

Nothing can be dealt with, without talking about it, and this is a fine place to do so.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:29:57 pm »
Hey xcthulhux Animeman73 here. I've been bushwhacked on this site myself over in Official Photos section. Out of courtesy I won't name names but I'll say this sometimes the only thing you can do is ignore the so and so that are throwing bad vibes your way. But if they continue to do so or even get worse that's when you contact the moderators and let them take care of business. Me I not only write a blog over on Wordpress.com I'm also it's administrator, and it's quite liberating because it means if I ever get any trollers, and I expect one of these days I will, I have the power to delete their comments and get them out of my life. And as for the trollers all I have to say is  :P.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:33:39 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:02 pm »

Ok, so what you are saying is that this thread should not exist, and we should not talk about the issues of the forum, and we should not try to solve the problems that are existent here?

you say that this is the only place you come too anymore, and that trolling should be dealt with, but you are trying to shoe away the issue here.

Nothing can be dealt with, without talking about it, and this is a fine place to do so.

You just said to take it. That's dealing with it?

Your thread's only purpose was to remind people not to get upset when things get personal. You said to take it.

How exactly is THAT dealing with it?

You also said that anyone who CAN'T should leave.

And that trolls are inevitable so we should just live with it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:34:13 pm by DemonSpawn »
I miss 2010.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:34:32 pm »

You just said to 'take it'. That's dealing with it?

Your thread's only purpose was to remind people not to get upset when things get personal. You said to 'take it'.

How exactly is THAT dealing with it?

The OP of this thread says "Discuss"
which could mean that it could go any way.

right now we are speaking of how to deal with trolling, and all i was doing was trying to help.

you are getting a little bit emotional about this, and i think that this would be a good time for you to read through that OP one more time, to kind of get the feel of what im talking about.

im not letting this phase me emotionally, or mentally, im just trying to rid the forums of problems, and arguements, and you are fueling the fire.

if you don't want to be reasonable then gtfo of this thread plox.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »
Easy, lass easy. Actually there is a way to handle such things it's called take 5. What you do is take some time away from your computer and occupy your mind with something else. I actually got this information from a website dedicated to handling and consuling people who are the victims of cyber-bullying.

Oh and DemonSpawn Did you hear the one about the practical joker and the trap door?
Boy did he ever fall for it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:41:05 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:37:54 pm »
Easy, lass easy. Actually there is a way to handle such things it's called take 5. What you do is take some time away from your computer and occupy your mind with something else. I actuially got this information from a website dedicated to handlinbg and consuling people who are the victims of cyber-bullying.

Oh and DmeonSpawn Did you hear the one about the practical joker and the trap door?
Boy did he ever fall for it.

you sir are a very smart man.

i applaud thee *golf clap*

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »
Hey xcthulhux Animeman73 here. I've been bushwhacked on this site myself over in Official Photos section. Out of courtesy I won't name names but I'll say this sometimes the only thing you can do is ignore the so and so that are throwing bad vibes your way. But if they continue to do so or even get worse that's when you contact the moderators and let them take care of business. Me I not only write a blog over on Wordpress.com I'm also it's administrator, and it's quite liberating because it means if I ever get any trollers, and I expect one of these days I will, I have the power to delete their comments and get them out of my life. And as for the trollers all I have to say is  :P.
this is the way things should be handled.
don't take things srsly here, its not worth your trouble.
just let it go, and they will do the same.
works every time.

btw, i totally didn't see this post the first time you posted it. thats why im just recognizing it now.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:02:54 am »
Good morning, and it's all good dude, it's all good.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:34:09 am »
if you wouldn't do it in "real life," don't do it on the Internet.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 07:53:28 am »
Unfortunately rappy, some folks out there today seem to be under the misguided belief that once they get on the Internet the rules of civility and etiquette fly out the window. They don't stop to think that the people they're attacking and bullying are flesh and blood people who think and feel.
While I don't agree with him on everything I do agree with Mike Huckabee that we need to get back to a sense of civility, and not just in politics, but in life, and most definitely on the Internet. The great comic book writer Stan Lee put it best when he wrote in the first edition of Spider Man "With great power, comes great responsibility."
People need to understand that chatting on forums and such on the Internet is not much different from having a public conversation. Which means that civility rules.
And as for the bad apples who don't give two cents, I've always found that they have interesting (and in a sadistic kind of way) and very entertaining ways of shooting themselves in the foot! And when that happens karma or whatever you want to call it comes round to bite them in the keister...hard! Just remember if anyone comes here for the express purpose of putting us anime fans down and they do so at a steady rate or even increase it that's when we can contact the moderators and let them handle the situation this is after part of their job. Am I correct Kumoricon forum moderators?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:13:19 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 09:44:25 am »
First of all this should be a place were people can go to have fun. If someone is trolling and or calling people names it shouldn't be allowed. At all. I already had to deal with this and it didn't turn out to well.

Second I want to address the "deal with it" part. So you are saying that if someone is harassing me and I ask them to stop yet they keep doing it (which is illegal I might add and you can be arrested) that I should just ignore it and move on with my life? What if there is someone that knows a lot about me without ever displaying that information? Should I just deal with it then? When there is the possibility that this person could know where I live and when I will be alone?

You haven't had to deal with a lot of these problems because you are male. Try walking a mile in any female's shoes. There are a lot of creepy people on the internet and a lot of those creepy people go to anime conventions and lurk on the forums.

I shouldn't have to deal with that nor should any one else. If you are pissing people off then they should be able to report you to the mods and if you still want to piss people off then you should get banned. As Demon said I know a lot of the people here. I have met them and talked to them face to face. A lot of them have my cell number and some of them even know where I live. This isn't just a forum to me. This is a place where I can hang out with my friends that live all over the state. I wouldn't expect to be bothered by issues like harassment if I was sitting with my friends in person so I shouldn't have to deal with it now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:45:34 am by nikkiolie »

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:08:21 am »
I like this thread. It's fun.

Cthulhu just has to learn how torlling these forums is different than trolling the rest of the internet. You gotta use the kids gloves. You can't even be PG-13 if you wanna troll, you gotta be even softer.

This reminds me of a thing I can't quote, a bit from Team America.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11:36 am »
Unfortunately rappy, some folks out there today seem to be under the misguided belief that once they get on the Internet the rules of civility and etiquette fly out the window. They don't stop to think that the people they're attacking and bullying are flesh and blood people who think and feel.
While I don't agree with him on everything I do agree with Mike Huckabee that we need to get back to a sense of civility, and not just in politics, but in life, and most definitely on the Internet. The great comic book writer Stan Lee put it best when he wrote in the first edition of Spider Man "With great power, comes great responsibility."
People need to understand that chatting on forums and such on the Internet is not much different from having a public conversation. Which means thst civility rules.
And as for the bad apple who don't give two cents, I've always found that they have interesting (and in a sadistic kind of way) very entertaining way of shooting themselves in the foot. And when that happens karma or whatever you want to call it comes round to bite them in the keister...hard! Just remember if anyone comes here for the express purpose of putting us anime fans down and they do so at a steady rate or even increase it that's when we can contact the moderators and let them handle the situation this is after part of their job. Am I correct Kumoricon forum moderators?

TL;DR: Some people think they are too good for the rules, while on the intarweb

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 11:51:41 am »
Hello everyione Animeman73 here again with some sagely and family friendly words on this subject. Demony & ladies make no mistake you don't have to take it! Someone insulting you once may be one thing but as I said if they continue to insult you. You have every right in the world to contact the moderators and let them take action. As I said this is part of what moderators are for to give us a clean and safe environment with which to talk with friends and generally make merryment. But make no mistake sometimes we need to talk about things that we might feel uncomfortable with in order to find ways to conquer them like a true hero of days of yore!
Nikkiolie, you are wise, very wise indeed to be concerned there are indeed creepers out there who go to anime conventiuons, and in the world in general. That's why you should always be careful with your information on the Internet. On a recent episode of the John Tesh radio show, said host of that show made mention about how you should never tell people when you're going on vacation and leaving the house empty or say when you're going to be alone in a public forum. This opens you up to thieves and stalkers. Remember this mantra "Be careful with your information."
As far as cyber bullies are concerned at the anti-cyber bullying website I went to it was mentioned that if even after they've been kicked off the find a way to harrass you more and even threaten you family members, that's actually considered a Felony which when reported can bring in the Police and/or the F.B.I. And those are two organizations you never want to get on the bad side of.
As a matter of fact I read that in order to avoid frivolous lawsuits a number of public schools and universities are introducing brand new anti cyber bullying policies to make your Internet experience safer and allow said anti-crime organizations to do their job without any legal troubles. While creepers and cyber bullies are a sad fact of life, I can tell you that times are changing. People are waking up to how destructive these individuals are and are creating 0 tolerance policies in response.
We here at Kumoricon, whether we are forum goers, Kumoricon staff, or Moderators by working together can do our part to see that such vile individuals find out that their perversive ways...will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form here.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
Alright I think I found the topic where this whole thing started. And I must say it was her event and she could run it the way she wants to. It is not your place to say how she can and can't run things. You can offer advice but she may not take it. I think the only one who is really taking this seriously is you.

As a person who has planed things before it is kinda a slap in the face when someone you don't really knows comes on and starts telling you how to do thing. She probably had something in mind and has an idea how to get it done and the way you were acting was flat out rude. Yes her responses were immature as well but also keep in mind that the large majority of people on this forum are 15 or 16 and you shouldn't expect them to act like they are 25.

I am not trying to argue with you at all I just want you to get an idea of how it feels from the other side. I mean think of it this way, you are planing a party and have everything in mind and then someone comes along and tells you that you are doing it wrong and you should do it this way. And when ever you tell them that you don't want to that person gets on your case.

So some words of advise, when someone is planing an event and you have a better way of doing something offer a suggestion, maybe in private would be best, and if they don't take it try running your own event. If you do plan your own please do not do it around the same time as the other. Wait a month or so. :)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:20 pm »
Alright I think I found the topic where this whole thing started. And I must say it was her event and she could run it the way she wants to. It is not your place to say how she can and can't run things. You can offer advice but she may not take it. I think the only one who is really taking this seriously is you.

As a person who has planed things before it is kinda a slap in the face when someone you don't really knows comes on and starts telling you how to do thing. She probably had something in mind and has an idea how to get it done and the way you were acting was flat out rude. Yes her responses were immature as well but also keep in mind that the large majority of people on this forum are 15 or 16 and you shouldn't expect them to act like they are 25.

I am not trying to argue with you at all I just want you to get an idea of how it feels from the other side. I mean think of it this way, you are planing a party and have everything in mind and then someone comes along and tells you that you are doing it wrong and you should do it this way. And when ever you tell them that you don't want to that person gets on your case.

So some words of advise, when someone is planing an event and you have a better way of doing something offer a suggestion, maybe in private would be best, and if they don't take it try running your own event. If you do plan your own please do not do it around the same time as the other. Wait a month or so. :)

I love your assumption here.

this thread has absolutely nothing to do with that topic, and her and i have since solved that problem.

that isn't an issue anymore. this is a completely different thread.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 02:35:14 pm »
I understand the sentiment, but you're clearly misunderstanding the purpose of this site.

We can't give precedent and exception to people just because they're witty or smart; an infraction on the rules is an infraction on the rules.  The purpose of this site is to be as welcoming as we possibly can.  This website that you are (presumably) enjoying is the face of our convention about 350/365 days every year.  This is where people witness the hospitality of our staff and the good nature of their fellow attendees, and maintain the convention as a year-long interest.  If people are being trolled, flamebaited, spammed, neglected (when they have perfectly legitimate questions and concerns), or harassed, that reflects on the experience they will expect from the convention.

This works the other way too.  If people look around and see folks being stupid, making baseless claims, or being needlessly narcissistic, that will reflect poorly on the convention as well, and that's something we can't moderate beyond a certain level.  We can tell folks who type with the punctuation and spelling you'd expect from an infant orangutan that they need to make their posts intelligible, but we really can't stop people from just being stupid on a trivial level, despite the fact that it very definitely makes the convention look bad.

That said, it's really the responsibility of the users to self-moderate.  People should make a point of being an accurate representation of themselves.  Hence, trolling is very much an undesirable activity, besides being disallowed explicitly in the forum rules.  Unless your purpose for being here is to sabotage the convention, you (not talking to anyone in particular) should make a point of being polite, intelligent, and clear.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 03:34:18 am »
In addition to DancingTofu's post, I just wanted to clearly repudiate the point of view expressed in the first post as policy on this forum. If the poster doesn't like the fact that we will be enforcing the rules against hostility and trolling, then perhaps the poster should go elsewhere. There are plenty of other Internet forums where an atmosphere of hostility is the norm.

This thread is but a healthy reminder that the internet is not real life, and should not be treated as such.

Why don't you ask some of our volunteer staff who take enormous unpaid time out of their personal lives for the convention, if they think Kumoricon and its forum have any relation to real life?
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor