Author Topic: Avid Readers  (Read 2554 times)

u2205

Avid Readers
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:30 pm »
This is a thread for Avid Readers! I'm not talking about manga or comic book, but novels. People who carry around multiple books with them just in case they have a few seconds to get a page or two in between classes.

I try to get through about a Novel a week, but that ends up being hard sometimes with my schedule. I'm currently working on "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson; which I have to say, is pretty much fantastic. Last week I ready Michael Crichton's "Prey" which kinda scared me a lot about nano-bots taking over my body/the world.

I mostly read Sci-Fi novels, because that's where my true geekyness lies, but I have been know to delve into historical fiction and fantasy books as well.

So let me know what you like to read!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:39:01 pm by Mr_Mustash »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Avid Readers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:22:29 pm »
this is a hard one... i inhale books like candy , snow crash is great, i don't really have a set type, i used to read a ton of anne rice when i was young and steven king, amy tan ,  i really liked the kitchen gods wife, dragon lance books, every now and then nora roberts, utopia holt, mr stash you would love jim butchers books they are awesome, right now i would say charline harris is my favorite author beyond the sookie books there are her grave books and the lily bard books and roe teagarden series,  i just got 3 tubs of books out of storage from my moms that i need to go thru
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »
Hey Mr_Mustash this is ANimeman73. I've read quite a few fantasy novels in my time and I have some author recommendations for you.

Anne McCaffrey (Speak the name of sci-fi's grand dame with respect.)
Terry Pratchett (His Discworld novels are hilariously awesome.)
C.J. Cherryl (Her sci-fi and fantasy novels are gritty and awesome.)
Mercedes Lackey (Her Valdemar novels are really terrific)
Greg Bear (Pretty good sci-fi stuff from him, can't go wroong there.)
David Eddings (I love his Belgariad and Mallorion novels)
Terry Brooks (I love his Shannara novels)
and finally Piers Anthony (HIs sci-fi and fantasy novels are awesome stuff)

Check these authors out. I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:27:56 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:12:07 pm »
Patrick i was bored so i read the first two foundation books again. :P
I don't even have time to explain my avid reading :D (I read too fast ;;>_> but I also read a lot! ^^ its what I do once I've checked the internet and nothing interesting is on! ^^)
or when I'm bored
or when I have time
or when I'm in bed (which is always ^^)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:56:26 am »
Presently I'm in the middle of multiple gardening books, The Book of Angels, a Deepak Chopra book, an SRF book, editing a midwifery textbook professionally (yes really), the ark angels manwha (my new favorite), and carrying around men at arms (a discworld book) but have misplaced it, thinking of starting at the beginning instead, also book 3 of the wheel of time series. i am someone who literally always has a book at my bed to read to sleep (well if sleeping alone)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:01:05 pm »
I love the wheel to time series! I found all for them at goodwill for 25 cents each about 3 (?) years ago and so they are a main boredom defeater (on the bookshelf right next to my bed)

I have it organized not by author, but by series and how much I like to re-read them, so every night when I get into bed I can pluck something interesting off it ^^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:02:44 pm »
I started them years ago & never finished, but the ex who introduced me 2 them just reentered my life, so i'm trying 2 get back into them 2 discuss them w/him & maybe play the RPG!! i'd however want to be like min not so much an aes sedai
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:24:44 pm »
Patrick, have you finished reading my copy of Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino?  If so, can you bring it back next time you're in PDX?

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:25:54 pm »
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. If you haven't read it, you must. Preferably before the movie comes out (which will spoil the book, but not be as good as the book.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY

There's the trailer for the movie, which ultimately ends up depicting it to be more action-y than the book ever was; the book was about loneliness and survival, the movie is (invariably) about explosions and killing people.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:30:30 pm by TanisNikana »

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:42:15 pm »
I just started Stephen King's Different Seasons. Its probably one of 5 of his books I havn't yet read ^^

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »
I read well...Anything. Mostly fiction but the genre doesn't matter. As long as its not a romance, it has a valid plot and isn't just drivel it will be devoured within 3 days. X3 I love me some good reads.

Right now I'm in the middle or re-reading Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and Night World No.2 by L.J. Smith.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:34 pm »
speaking of returning books, Patrick I still have your foundation series, Blood of the Fold and Stone of Tears.
I've read the foundation ones like a billion times and the first and last chapter of the other ones :D
I COULDN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE OF HER BEING DEAD T^T

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 06:37:17 pm »
I'm reading Exodus by Steve White. eh. This guy just isn't in  David Weber's class.

Next will probably be Very Hard Choices, by Spider Robinson.

I just finished re-reading the White Dragon by Anne MacCaffery.

I'm waiting for November when David Weber and Travis Taylor both have new books coming out!

But it's coming up to Christmas so ,maybe I'll read a Dickens novel, now that I know how to read them.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »
I don't read much, but I used to average at least 3-4 a week, I had no life. Right now I'm reading Lovely Bones and hoping to start on Lord of the Flies.

I have a habit of not liking a lot of popular books or authors, such as To Kill A Mocking Bird, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, The Road, The Catcher in the Rye, ect. Their style just doesn't suit me. I like some, though, like One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (great movie!) and Fahrenheit 451.

Also, HP rocks.  8)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 08:48:18 pm »
I was re reading the rowan  by anne mcaffry, but then the new charlaine harris book came out grave secret! it might be the last one in the grave series

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 09:18:53 pm »
I don't read much, but I used to average at least 3-4 a week, I had no life. Right now I'm reading Lovely Bones and hoping to start on Lord of the Flies.

I have a habit of not liking a lot of popular books or authors, such as To Kill A Mocking Bird, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, The Road, The Catcher in the Rye, ect. Their style just doesn't suit me. I like some, though, like One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (great movie!) and Fahrenheit 451.

Also, HP rocks.  8)
Just wondering, why did you list The Road, rather than No Country For Old Men?

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »

Also, HP rocks.  8)
Just wondering, why did you list The Road, rather than No Country For Old Men?
I read that recently, and have not read No Country For Old Men.

WAIT, WAIT...DID YOU THINK I WAS JUST POSTING THAT TO CONTRADICT YOU?  :D

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34:18 pm »
I've been reading books by Kurt Vonnegut lately ever since I picked up Breakfast of Champions last year.

I was also rereading the 7th book of Harry Potter yesterday. I love the series and all, but I think it's a bit overrated. Sure, it's a good book, but it does have its flaws, as does any other.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »
ah finished grave surprise. sad ending. its wrapped up the main story but i wonder if she will write another one? prob not but i can hope, at least she has tons more sookie stackhouse stories, still time for the finish book series depression