Author Topic: Help me enlighten KawaiiKon  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Help me enlighten KawaiiKon
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:09 pm »
KawaiiKon is the anime convention they have over in Hawaii (where I've been since 2007).  For years the people on their forums have been trying to suggest to the convention that they would like Cosplay Chess.  However, the founders and directors are against it because, basically, they want it to be like how they do Cosplay Chess over at the Boston Convention and won't accept anything less.  The funny thing is, KawaiiKon is coming up on their 6th year and pretty much matches us in size from back then and I believe that's when we pulled off Cosplay Chess.

Anyway, I keep suggesting it on their forums and someone finally said, "How about coming up with a proposal?"

So that's what I need some help with.  I checked out past threads of cosplay chess but can't find any rules or details (spacing and such).  I know there was a volunteer list and a backup list but was there some sort of selection process or was it first come, first serve?  Also were the Chess Masters/Players familiar with the game or semi-new to it?  Which is/was more entertaining?  If possible I want to know little details that I can suggest to them to maybe help get things underway.

The same person who suggested the proposal also said to me, "help coordinate it," but I doubt I'll be there for that.  I just want to help them get the project started and show it's not impossible and point out their misconceptions.  (I swear one of their reasons for shoting it down was because they didn't want to pull out 34 staff members for it.)

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
Re: Help me enlighten KawaiiKon
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:14 am »
I was in Kumori's cosplay chess game this past year and thought it was very well coordinated. Both the audience and players had a blast.
Kumori does have their rules and sign up online as does Sakura-con (www.sakuracon.org under the programming tab here:http://www.sakuracon.org/programming/chess_rules.php)

I have been a co-coordinator for Sakuracon's cosplay chess game for about 4 years and we now have 3 cosplay chess games at con. A Saturday main game that is scripted, A late night mature audience only game and a Sunday open format game.

Anyone who wants to participate reads the rules, fills out the application form and submits a photo of their cosplay. Players are selected by my co-coordinator and assigned board positions.
All players are required to attend a pre-game meeting for both safety (themselves and the audience) and to get them organized. Anyone chosen as an alternate for the Saturday game is automatically in the Sunday game if they wish.

As for Chess Masters, Since the first game is scripted (it's based on a famous historical chess match) the Chess Masters are our Kings on either side of the board and they make the moves based on the historical game. Players in this game know who they will be fighting and can plan more dramatic battles which the audience loves.

Real Chess Masters are chosen for the other two games which are real chess games. People can apply on the form to be chess masters and are chosen from the applications.

I hope that helps get cosplay chess going for KawaiiKon.
Let me know if you need help and I will get you what resources I have.

Cheers,
Kato
Public Relations Manager Sakura-con
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:16:38 am by Kato_Shiroi »
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:03 am »
It doesn't have to have a lot of fancy equipment either. For years Jaki used blue painters tape to lay out the lines for the board.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
For my personal cosplay chess matches* (always a hoot), I've used ground nails and orange caution ribbon to lay out the board, and giant foam chess pieces to mark the players.

*These cosplay chess matches are not endorsed by, condoned by, or interact in any way with Altonimbus Entertainment and any of their subsidiaries, or MEWCon LLC and any of their subsidiaries, and are the private works of Tanis Nikana, to be enjoyed by the general public.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:10:18 am by TanisNikana »

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »
Thank you very much for the replies and the rules for Sakuracon.  Since this will be KKon's first time (hopefully), I'm probably going to suggest the simple version of the game and hold off on the "After dark" and scripted idea.

Also, so I have some reference to go by, is the Sakuracon and Kumoricon "chessboard" visible for the audience to see or is it up on a stage?  That was another complaint they had for not doing it.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »
It's on the lowest part of the floor, with the audience raised up so they can see it.

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »
Thank you very much for the replies and the rules for Sakuracon.  Since this will be KKon's first time (hopefully), I'm probably going to suggest the simple version of the game and hold off on the "After dark" and scripted idea.

Also, so I have some reference to go by, is the Sakuracon and Kumoricon "chessboard" visible for the audience to see or is it up on a stage?  That was another complaint they had for not doing it.

For Sakura-con we have done it both ways having the board on a stage and also on the floor. Our current configuration is "Theater in the Round" with the chess board in the center of the room and seating all the way around it.

The audience has a good view of all the players and judging by the attendance (950+) it's fairly popular.
We have the sound board off to one side (plays battle music) and wireless microphones for the players. I does help when a battle is taking place for the other pieces to leave the board and kneel/sit by the board so the audience can see better.

Cheers,
Kato
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!