Author Topic: Family/Friends and you (a cosplay discussion thread)  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
Family/Friends and you (a cosplay discussion thread)
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:53 pm »
Due to the hectic pace of this board I have no idea how well this will go but...

How are your friends and family with your cosplay habits when you started? How about now, do they understand or do they simply turn a blind eye?

For myself only a few friends from my hometown are anime fans so most just roll their eyes, my parents are always interested to see what I come up with next, my grandma almost fainted when she figured out I ruined a brand new shirt for Frank West.

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Family/Friends and you (a cosplay discussion thread)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:24 pm »
My mom knows to stay out of my way when it's close to con time
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:47:01 am »
I am of course at an age where my parents don't even live in the same house as me...but both mine & my G/F's parents think cosplay is cool. They love all the creativity, even if they don't know where most of it comes from.

Friends on the other hand...the majority of them like anime. Some of the ones that don't watch anime think that its awsome anyway & a few are actually coming with us to Kumoricon this year & are going to cosplay. I do have a one friend that hates anime & thinks that cosplay is a stupid waste of time & money. But I guess I'm a jerk because I usually just tell them to shut up, point out something they love doing that I may not like yet don't criticize them for, or just make sure to torment them with anime when they are around.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:53 am »
My mom supports it because it gets me out of the house..and a lot of my friends are nerds and they want to go with me.

Offline ChibiGrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:50 am »
My dad is a real Bible-Thumper and he believes that my dressing up will make me believe I am the characters. Thus I will go crazy, believing I can do magic.
Yeah, needless to say, I never show him my cosplay. And I never tell him when I crossplay.

My mom, on the other hand, doesn't care. She knows but she has no real opinion on it. She thinks it's "cute" to see me in costume, but she doesn't like how much time, energy, and money I put into it.

My brother thinks I'm a freak. But, hey, what else is new?

My friends don't care too much. They think it's fun that I do it and have the guts to. But they still roll their eyes when I crossplay. But, nobody but me out of my friends will cosplay. :(
That's why con friends are awesome!
~Kumoricon 2011~
Ciel Phantomhive
Vincent Valentine
Oz Vessalius (Maybe)

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:01 am »
My parents both cosplay *laughs*
My mother was Master Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho at Sakura-con 2010, and my father has a Professor Oak, Gandalf the Gray, and a Soromon the white.~
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:42:16 am »
My parents both cosplay *laughs*
My mother was Master Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho at Sakura-con 2010, and my father has a Professor Oak, Gandalf the Gray, and a Soromon the white.~
I saw them in their cosplays at con...it was awsome lol!

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:09:29 am »
I wish I had parents like you guys.

My Mom doesnt understand it and so she thinks cosplay is nothing more then a bunch of kids/adults that never grew up and are immature.
She doesnt like the idea of spending all this time and effort/money for somthing we will use only once.
She also compairs us cosplayers to those Star Wars fans who dress up and stuff.

Now for my Dad, he doesnt get very involved, and im glad because all he does is reminds me of the "Better choices to spend money on".
He always says things like; "Save your money for a car or somthing important."

So yeah, my parents dont understand us nor do they really like it either. So they have no idea I am cosplaying this year and they definitly dont know Im crossplaying. lol
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
I didn't start cosplaying until I moved out of my Dad's house. When I was still speaking with him he seemed uninterested in what I was doing and said it was a waste of money.

My Mom on the other hand was very interested in it. She taught me how to sew and was making my costumes (The sewing parts) for me until I moved out of the house. She still asks how my costumes are going and is very proud of the work I do. She says I'm better then her at sewing at this point. I think that's not right though, she's way ahead of me in abilities atm.

My little sister likes cosplay. She's only cosplayed once but is interested in doing it again sometime. I'm going to try to get her to come to the next Kumoricon or Sakuracon with me.

And most of my friends weather they like anime or not think my costumes are cool and congratulate me on them :3 The people in my life are very accepting of what I do.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:43:52 am »
That's awsome that all your friends are good support for your hobbies...wish I could say the same for several of mine. I think the fact that I am in Central Oregon plays into it a lot though. There is very little culture here & a lot of closed-minded people...so cosplay is not as "normal" or accepted as it would be in a bigger city area such as Portland. I know several people on these forums that know how bad this place lacks culture & diversity since they currently or used to live here...:P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:47:39 am by Cyprus »

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 10:48:49 am »
Good point, Chris.
We live in a land where the idea of snogging another girl is TABOO
And if we wanted to do a photo shoot, I feel like I'd have to do it when no one else would see me, because they'd make fun of me for the rest of my life.
The fact that my parents think it's awesome is just a way for it to even out all the bull **** I get at school
I wish I had parents like you guys.

My Mom doesnt understand it and so she thinks cosplay is nothing more then a bunch of kids/adults that never grew up and are immature.
She doesnt like the idea of spending all this time and effort/money for somthing we will use only once.
A lot of us cosplayers are big fans of things like Star Wars as well
xD
Like I am so going to be Han Solo some year, because when I see Star Wars it makes my day ^^
It is going to be...

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:33:00 am »
My parents are quite cool with it. My dad even helps me think of ways to do things. The only time they really worry about it is when I am spending a lot of money on it. If I start to make my own stuff I will spend a lot less money on it.

My friends don't seem to care at all either (ones that don't go to cons) and I have actually gotten a few friends into cosplay and conventions. So all in all I have been pretty lucky with it.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 03:18:09 pm »
My dad thinks it's kind of cool and actually expressed some interest when I told him he should come with me to a con sometime as a character (I suggested the Sniper from TF2 since he and my dad look disturbingly alike). My mom is accepting but thinks it's painfully nerdy and makes fun of me most of the time-- all good-natured, of course, and it makes me laugh when she does. Overall both my parents let me do whatever and support me.

Most of my friends don't even know I'm as nerdy as I am. The friends who I cosplay with are really into it and love it like I do, but my friends who don't cosplay, while a little bemused by it, think it's cool. Since I cosplay almost entirely western stuff they tend to know the characters better, and since it's something they can relate to they tend to better share my enthusiasm x)

tl;dr: I get no grief from anyone and things are cool.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
Errr...How is cosplaying any different from cosplaying? 

Anyways.  My parents support me in cosplaying because they see it as more of a... sewing experience, getting better at sewing, doing what I love and all that.  They don't really get into it and I have no desire to get them into my lesbian-filled jRPGs, but my mom will gladly pay for fabric for me to make a cosplay.  I don't buy a lot of other things though, so I guess expensive fabric a few times over the summer is better than DVDs and new (real) clothes every week.  They used to be more interested in seeing everything I made, but lately they don't really ask about the things I sew, unless I have them set up on my dressform or something.  I don't care too much because my next cosplay, is, um, sluttier than what I've normally been making. 

On the other hand, and this is a little surprising... When I sell in the AA, my parents don't understand how important that is to me.  They don't see how I see it: As a job for months leading up to the actual money-making event, that I need to dedicate all of my time to.  My dad says things like, "You'll have more fun if you don't sell anyways..." I've been going to cons for several years now, but I've only recently started selling, so I guess it's just a new thing to adjust to. (Although I think he was impressed by how much I made at Sakuracon, and I bet by this Kumoricon he won't even say anything.)

Quote from: jaqua
My dad thinks it's kind of cool and actually expressed some interest when I told him he should come with me to a con sometime as a character (I suggested the Sniper from TF2 since he and my dad look disturbingly alike).
I remember that.  You are such a NERD!
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:13:59 pm »
Haha my parents don't care. They think I'm pretty funny for getting dressed up, and give me as much as I want to do it. They love pictures, ahhh.

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 06:00:19 pm »
I've only done one so far and it was pretty normal-looking, so I don't think my parents know the full extent of my insanity yet. They do think it's cool that I make money at the con... xD

And... hey, I'm getting a degree in making costumes. If anyone questions it I'll just say it's job experience. Which wouldn't be a lie.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 06:14:04 pm »
My parents realize how much fun I have with it and how happy it makes me, so they support me. My mom helps me make costumes, because she's pretty crafty. My dad and little brother like to come to conventions with me, and my little brother cosplays too. :D My dad likes to see all the costumes, and I'm hoping he will cosplay as the Pink Pummeler sometime.

My friends don't usually understand it, but they know it's something I like to do and they enjoy my crazy outfits. Some of my friends are into it but don't cosplay a whole lot themselves.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:39 pm »
Lol @ Dana
Luckily, people 'round these parts don't see me cosplaying because they don't live in p-town, where most of my photoshoots take place xD
It is going to be...

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:30:40 am »
On the other hand, and this is a little surprising... When I sell in the AA, my parents don't understand how important that is to me.  They don't see how I see it: As a job for months leading up to the actual money-making event, that I need to dedicate all of my time to.  My dad says things like, "You'll have more fun if you don't sell anyways..." I've been going to cons for several years now, but I've only recently started selling, so I guess it's just a new thing to adjust to. (Although I think he was impressed by how much I made at Sakuracon, and I bet by this Kumoricon he won't even say anything.)
Hmmmm...which booth was yours? I spend a lot of time/money at cons in the vendors/exibitors hall & the AA.

Lol @ Dana
Luckily, people 'round these parts don't see me cosplaying because they don't live in p-town, where most of my photoshoots take place xD
We don't care what a bunch of non open-minded hillbillies think of us anyway, right Rebel. They will just have to deal with us! Plus, don't forget that we are going to be possibly doing photo shoots around home this summer after my new camera shows up :D

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »
Hey- I take offense to the Hillbilly comment *lives in the middle of nowhere, redneck by default*

The country can be great for certain outfits.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 06:56:06 pm »
^ true fact
But it also isn't the prettiest thing in the world a lot of the time. Juniper, sagebrush, weeds everywhere. Bleh.
It is going to be...

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »
Bah I have an orchard with a big field of wheat and abandoned machinery.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 07:15:53 pm »
Oh you lucky duck.
It is going to be...

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 09:54:27 am »
Hey- I take offense to the Hillbilly comment *lives in the middle of nowhere, redneck by default*

The country can be great for certain outfits.
Bah I have an orchard with a big field of wheat and abandoned machinery.
Lol...rednecks are a huge step up from hillbillies. From the sounds of it, you are in more of a farmer community anyway, which is also different. Trust me, come down here & hang for a while...you will be able to distinguish them from each other easily. I also grew up in the middle of nowhere, but that in no way means I am a default redneck :P Just means I had to be much more creative to have fun lol.

Also, I agree that a lot of the countyside type areas around Oregon are great for pictures & can be very beautiful...but not so much where we live. They don't call it the High Desert for nothing lol...a lot of uglyness here unless you like sagebrush, juniper trees, dried up weeds, & dirt...oh ya, did I mention dirt? We also have dirt...you get the idea :P I think the view of the mountains is the best we get here lol.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »
Well.... my mom is 100% pure Japanese....

But that doesnt mean anything...

Well since half of my family is Japanese most of the Tv shows I watched as a child were childrens anime.

I didn't even get into cosplay until about 4 years ago.

my crazy azn mother doesnt like it because of the extreme cost and since shes like "old fashioned japanese" she thinks any anime obsessed person is like a hardcore otaku (ya know hikikomori stuffz).
But she now doesnt mind as long as I do good in school, keep up with my social life, and use my own money for cosplay. my mommy used to help me with my costumes. But now I have the skills to do it by myself.
She also doesnt mind taking me to Sakura con because theres some really cool events that even she can enjoy like the taiko performances, tea ceremonies and kimono workshops (or even the sake tasting lol)

My father is ok with it but I dont live with him anymore so it doesnt really matter. He's actually bought quite a lot of my sewing supplies though and he's taken me to one convention.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »
my parents were completely completely confused at first, they thought it was for school 8D;;
After a few more cosplays they gradually got used to it.
They support it now, and they like how cosplay boosts my confidence and all that. i get sewing advice from dad BD

Pretty much 70% of my friends consist of cosplayers, former cosplayers, cosplay photographers, or cosplayer wannabes so i haven't had any problems with that.
As for my school friends...
I pretty much don't tell of cosplay to friends unless they know /exactly/ what i'm talking about. to be honest, my school is extremely judgmental and if you don't "fit" into a group, you're made fun of period. i'm kinda like that. to avoid it, i just don't talk about it.

"i saw you at the mall with a whole bunch of weirdos dressed up in halloween costumes. you guys retarded or someth??"
"LOLOLOLOLOL uh."

....Everyone knows that I do at school.. All my friends..Some people that I dont even know know. -_-  and I explain it to someone who doesnt know all the time. Our school aint so judgemental.. -_-

oslapedo

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
I don't shout my nerdiness from the rooftops but if it comes up in conversation or someone asks me I tell 'em straight up.

Today I had whispered conversations with some chicks in English about my agonies of GAME OVERs in .hack, heh, heh, heh.

My family knows and I've even got a cosplaying sister (you know, that one loser~).

If someone hassles you because of your interests or hobbies then flip it around on them. For example, I find those mounted-on-wall deer heads way effing creepier than a doodled-on wig head.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:37 pm »
^ ILY Osla xD
They are freaking creepy too >>
It is going to be...

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »
My mom is ok with it. I think she thinks it's cute because likes to take pictures of my cousin and I before we leave foe K-con, like last year when I came out with my completed Flandre cosplay shes all like "aaawww youre so cute" XD and she was quite impressed with my cousins Transformer cosplay.
My dad is pretty cool with it as well.  As long as we're all having fun. And he like to see the things I make.
My step mom thinks its cool I think XD

My 2 older brothers on the other hand dont like anime and think its weird. (which is weird because the one that likes FMA and Digimon is the one that makes fun of me sometime the other never does) One is more cool with it than the other though. So I dont talk about my anime interests around them.

and as for my friends a lot of them do cosplay XD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:48:13 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »
0_0..I barely even reply to your posts...

go stuff some iron up that gut and get some sleep. in the morning drink lots of milk and cereal.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:52:07 pm by NARUNIK »

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 09:15:33 pm »
LOLZ @ DANAYOKI AND NARUNIK

-_- honestly I take her side on the argument Ive seen quite alot of quotes/replies from Narunik about Dana..... XDDDDD

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »
And now- Back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 09:06:53 am »
Amen.

So how do people at school react about the fact that you cosplay? my school is totally fine with it.... they never make fun of stuff...alot of people actually think its B.A. or cute. heh heh and some people are "jealous" -sarcasm- of my cosplays XDDDD

middle school was a hella different story though......>_>;;;;

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 09:41:38 am »
A lot of my friends think its pretty cool I make all these costumes and things from scratch and they always want to see the finished product when I'm done, even if they have no idea who the character is.

My brother max wants to get into more since he also likes anime and he's the one that showed me all the bad ass series from my childhood. =3

Than the rest of my family just likes to think of me as the little odd ball that every family has. But they still love me. 
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 02:42:40 pm »
Amen.

So how do people at school react about the fact that you cosplay? my school is totally fine with it.... they never make fun of stuff...alot of people actually think its B.A. or cute. heh heh and some people are "jealous" -sarcasm- of my cosplays XDDDD

middle school was a hella different story though......>_>;;;;
We have a good school for it I guess. XD What middle school did you go to?
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 02:52:55 pm »
My school allows cosplay, as long as it's not 'revealing' and it must 'concide to the school dress code' which is compleatly fine, since I only wear my wigs to school on a regular basis.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II