Author Topic: Open Shirt cosplay question  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Emma_Day

• Cabbit
Open Shirt cosplay question
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:18:44 am »
I have a slight Question on cosplay rules and covering up. One of my cosplays has a jacket on(it a boy) but its open. And i am gonna do open shirt binding. Which shows my chest but it looks like a guys chest http://vandorwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2b8s5w (example of what i am doing) So can i do that or is that breaking the dress code???

Offline Sakurakisser

• Sailor Scout
Re: Open Shirt cosplay question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:27:16 am »
I think that is fine since you binding and covering as well as making sure your costume wont malfunction.. if not, when in doubt a nude sports bra is a lil insurance for you right?
"Be what you would seem to be or, if you'd like it put more simply. Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared"

Offline anime_rocker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:29:16 am »
ouch! that seems brutal...but i deeply respect you for deciding to do it lol. as long as you can't actually see your breasts it shouldn't be a problem i don't think. ^_^
i wanna be a mongoose. can i be a mongoose dog?

Offline Emma_Day

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:30:21 am »
I was thinking if my binding starts to come apart i am bringing a shirt im my bag. Emergency purpose. XD

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:24:11 am »
Ouch... that is dedicated cosplay... @.@

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:45:57 am »
Ow...um...I hope you know what you're getting into. That could seriously  be a bad idea. Duct tape on skin like that is just...ugh I couldn't even imagine how terrible that'd be.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:47 am »
Haha, sooo I'd like to tell you a story.

Last Kumoricon I was cosplaying a Victreebel Gijinka, causing me to be busty and stuff. I taped my boobs together to get maximum cleavage. Later on in the day I decided to redo my cleavage tape so I took it off...

And I ripped all the god damn skin off sides of my boobs

That was just sports tape, I'd hate to think of what would happen with duct tape. I've heard horror stories of people ripping off layers of skin so it bled and like passing out from the paint. It'd be better to use fashion tape or something that like...is meant to be on skin. Having your boobs leak blood and other fluids into your bra for a week after con isn't awesome in the least let me tell ya.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:46:53 am »
I use the open chest binding (though not all the way around the back because I don't need to be flat) for Kuja and it works really well. For Sakuracon I did use duct tape day 1 and my binding was great no problems at all so I decided to do it again day two and that is when I ran into problems. I sweat more that day so the tap pulled and shifted a little and when I took it off I had a bunch of blisters. Moral of the story, use sports take over duct tape. Take it off in the shower while rubbing soap in the area so it comes off easier.

If done properly the binding method doesn't hurt at all. I did it around the back and it can hurt a little after a while but it isn't bad at all, the biggest problem is not being able to raise your arms too high.

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:00:44 am »
Two things:

Cover your nipples with gauze or something to protect them from the tape!

Someone mentioned toupee tape once to help keep fabric where it needs to be. It might work for binding, you'd just need to cover the second side of the tape (it's double sided).

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:57:28 pm »
Simple note-

If you want to do this, have a friend nearby when you take it off- I've heard stories of people being carted away to the hospital due to the pain involved with undoing Duct Tape binds.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
look up skin safe tapes on google. plenty of alternatives.

Seriously. duct tape = BAD BAD BAD idea
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Kasper

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:31 pm »
All I can say is bad idea. Have you forgotten how many people have hurt their sensitive body parts by using duct tape to bind / hide them.

Offline Emma_Day

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »
I have used the duct many many times. So has my girlfriend. And no problems
And if you get  your skin ripped off, its cause you are taking it off wrong or too quickly.
You go slow and the more you do it the less it hurts.

And Its not that bad, please anyone who reads this it NOT THAT BAD!
And another reason why it rips skin is that you are allergic to the tape. So it will blister and rip the skin off.
So make sure you are not allergic before you bind.