Author Topic: English 101  (Read 9446 times)

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
Re: English 101
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »
what if the object IS the subject?
Excuse me, I mean the Direct or Indirect Object. It is sometimes known as the object receiving the action stated by the verb.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 12:07:44 pm »
This is a long-overdue thread.
Haters, think about it this way: if you were learning Japanese, you'd probably want your tutor to correct you on every little mistake so that the natives respect you when you go to Japan.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 12:53:25 pm »
in that same vein - haters, understand that if you nitpick at someone over and over and they lose their temper with you, its YOUR fault, not theirs
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
No disrespect to you Kylite, but personally if I HAVE to nitpick and correct someone over and over, and they're still not getting it and they get mad at me, well I'm not really the one at fault there am I? This is the internet, control your temper.
I miss 2010.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »
As for Wednesday, I hope this link helps you!

Huh.  Interesting...

Yeah, I found out about the days of the week when I read Angie Sages Septimus Heap books.  I was never aware of the fact that Norse/Germanic mythology had such an effect on the naming of the days, and that religion, in general, had determined them.

Sunday - Sun Day - The Sun is one of the most ancient religious symbols on the planet.  This is the day to pray to it.
Monday - Moon Day - Next to the sun, the other major deity of man.
Tuesday - Tyrs Day - For the god Tyr, a one-handed god associated with single combat and pledges.
Wednesday - Wodans Day - For the god Wodan also known as Odin, and is associated with wisdom, war, battle and death, and also magic, poetry, prophecy, victory, and the hunt.  You have heard of him probably.
Thursday - Thors Day - For the god Thor.  The most likely reason you are familiar with Odin.   ;D  The last Iron Man movie implies we will be seeing some of him pretty soon in the movies.
Friday - Freya Day - For the goddess Freya, a goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiðr, war, and death.
Saturday - Saturn Day - I remember reading somewhere that this was originally the day for the god Loki, but that he fell in disfavor and it was given instead to the Roman god Saturn, god of dance, agriculture, justice and strength.

Along a similar vein.  Who knows the origin of the common word, goodbye?  Would you be surprised to find out that it was originally "God be with ye"?  I suppose that means it should always be capitalized.  Oops.

Some more rules for you to add to the list:

since - I added this since people seem to get these wrong all of the time.   ;D
scents - I just love all of the different scents of flowers, don't you?
cents - I just thought I would put in my two cents.
sense - You would all get this right, if you had any sense.   ::)

write - Something you do with a pen or pencil.  Not to be confused with typing.   ;D  OK, so you can write using a computer, but I still think texting is a better word for using a phone to send messages.
rite - Usually used in a religious context.  A religious rite or a rite of passage.
wright - A worker or maker.  A wheelwright, shipwright, playwright.
right -This is used for everything else.  Most commonly used as the opposite of left or wrong, also something you posses as a free individual; "I have the right, to do it right."

yea - Another way of saying yes, opposite of nay.  A gleeful shout or expression of excitement, often misspelled as yay.
yeah - An expression of agreement; "Yeah, I get it wrong all the time too."   :)

Here is something useful.

(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »
much like a bully is not at fault for picking on someone because "they made themselves a target"

sorry but this is a really sore subject for me. people who dont beleive their doing any wrong when they upset someone else or huyrt their feelings is just plain wrong

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »
I guess I just don't understand how correcting someone is bullying.
I like to know when I'm messing up so I can fix it.

Why go through life making mistakes when you can improve? People who don't want to improve themselves (when they can and are told what is wrong) are ignorant.

Also, please don't confuse me for a bully, it's insulting. This isn't bullying at all and if you think so you haven't been really bullied.
If this thread pushed buttons, that sucks, but this is my opinion and if it hurts your feelings that's not my intention.

However this thread was not made with malicious intent and if it upsets you I can't truthfully say I'm sorry, because I'm not.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:00:38 pm by DemonSpawn »
I miss 2010.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 05:01:25 pm »
Kylite, are you not the one at fault here?
We have said nothing against any person or group of people. We have done nothing to provoke anyone in any way. All we have done is speak of our love of the English language and how we wish people would use it properly.
There were no issues in this thread until you came and started to preach about how we need to behave and not nitpick people. You call us bullies if we correct someone more than once.
The only person I see doing any harm here at all can be seen in a mirror at your home.
Your words of putting us who nitpick on the same level as bullies is insulting. You may not think you are doing anything wrong, but you are upsetting more than one person on this thread by how you are saying things and that "is just plain wrong."

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 05:31:27 pm »
As I do not believe my view is being correctly conveyed and I am doing more harm then good to this thread I will gracefully bow out of this discussion.

Sorry to anyone I have upset

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:03 pm »
I am a bully and it is my fault |3
I just don't like stubborn idiots.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
Well, I am personally opposed to pointing out any misspellings on the behalf of someone else.  I don't do it.  Honestly, it comes off a little petty unless it is relevant to the discussion. ^^  Some people, honestly, are just not great spellers.  Do you want to be the 1000th person to correct someone and then have them tell you they have a learning disorder / dyslexia?  I'm sure they would rather not have to tell people that.

Do some people abuse the English language?  Yes.  But, if they bother me, I don't have to point it out.  I just ignore them.  ^^

I don't think the spirit of this thread was meant to insult or malign anyone that is poor at spelling, grammar, or whatever.  I considered it more of a "Oh hey, we noticed this is common and if you want to fix it, use this resource."

And again, having said that, I don't really think it's nice to go around correcting people.  I make plenty of mistakes every day.  I don't need 'em pointed out to me.  Reminds me vaguely of a quote I heard in a Dale Carnegie book.  Something along the lines of, "If you can be so sure of yourself as to be correct even the slightest bit above 50% then you should go out and make a fortune in the stock market."

Just something to keep in mind the next time you hear / see someone make what you consider a mistake. ^^
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:24:37 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:57 am »
^ I point out misspellings occasionally, and I have a learning disability. I think it's better to point them out so that people will eventually get it right rather than let them stay in their bad habits.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »
Text does a poor job of conveying sincerity, though.  If you type a response and add, "By the way, it's spelled such and such," it's hard to tell if you're being sincere or trying to be a jerk. ^^ For me to correct someone, it'd have to be pretty egregious, and the person would have to be behaving like quite an ass themselves, for me to point it out.  Sort of like driving in traffic.  I don't honk every time someone makes a minor infraction.

I'm pretty sure that most people that are bad spellers realize they are bad spellers.  Maybe they don't care enough or they have trouble memorizing spelling.  Spelling in English is more or less rote memorization.

To me, it just seems like a great way to irritate someone.  Do you like to be told you're wrong, especially when what's being pointed out might not have anything to do with the content of the discussion? ^^
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:34:38 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 04:35:05 pm »
This discussion is making me think of a situation I had recently while doing my co-operative education at the Oregon Research Institute.  I was tasked with helping one of the research scientist in repairing a database that had been converted over to MS Access.  I found that many of the forms, reports, and tables had the word "label" spelled "lable" instead.  I can see that if someone thought well it rhymes with table so it is spelled lable, it would make perfect sense.  I was at a real loss as to how to go about correcting the field names and everything because of a misspelled word, when the person I was working with was the one who created them all in the first place.  I didn't want anyone seeing the printed reports with the misspelled word on the headers, but then I didn't want to offend the research scientist either.  :-\
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »
: D Reppy, I applaud you on your beautifully put words. I couldn't agree more!

Since text lacks facial expression, voice tone and body language (which are all vital in communication), misunderstandings happen extremely often, way more than necessary. There are those moments of unwanted drama that occur because of how the reader interprets the writer's message differently than intended. The writer could be thoughtful and lighthearted in their words while the reader sees the outer message as something snobbish and negative.

You have to keep in mind that text is not the most reliable form of communication; so try not to jump on someone just because their message sounded offensive or whatnot according to your translation (and feelings as well). Just like now; It sort of sounded like I was lecturing someone because they may have been guilty for doing just that, but I'm not pointing the finger at anybody. I'm merely giving advice with only good intentions.

Oops, sort of gotten carried away there. My apologies. ^^;;
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:43:40 pm by Fuyuko »