Author Topic: Japanese-style Thanksgiving  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
Japanese-style Thanksgiving
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:42:43 pm »
Alright...  I'm looking for suggestions.  My husband and I have moved far enough from my family that I have to choose between spending time with my family for Thanksgiving OR Christmas.  As I wouldn't miss Christmas with my family for the world, that leaves us on our own for Thanksgiving.  I've done the standard turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, green beans, sweet potatoes, stuffing, etc, in the past...  But lately, we've been adopting more of a Japanese diet - miso soup, fish, tofu, rice, green tea, etc.  I thought it would be something unique to truly make this Thanksgiving our own by trying to incorporate some more of the Japanese influence.

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions?  Turkey sushi?  Stuffing wontons??  Sweet potato okinomiyaki?  I'd love to quasi-mix the two, if possible.  Dishes that are "harvest-y" with that fall feel, but with a Japanese twist.

I certainly want to incorporate at least turkey, stuffing, and sweet potatoes.  For the Japanese side, rice is a must, as well as perhaps some sort of miso/dashi stock soup.  I found one meal that doesn't look too bad and could possibly be somewhat neutral for both cultures: Chestnut Rice http://zesterdaily.com/cooking/719-japanese-thanksgiving-with-chestnut-rice

Does anyone else out there have some fun ideas?  Thanks!! :)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Re: Japanese-style Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:14:10 pm »
Thanksgiving sukiyaki would be too awesome for words. I know it doesn't resemble traditional American dishes in the least, but it fits the themes of celebration and the family sharing a common dinner perfectly.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »
I have a great idea! turkey katsu
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:11 am »
From the opposite perspective, here's someone in Japan trying to have an American Thanksgiving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lPZ_S5YCoE#t=39
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:12:25 pm »
Sorry I missed this thread.  I was visiting relatives and wasn't checking the computer much.  :P

The whole situation reminded me of my award winning fanfic,  A Turkey for Hideki.  How would a Chobits Thanksgiving work anyway   ???
I still haven't been able to finish the story of Chi Goes to the Farm.  Maybe inspiration will strike again someday.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
Tempura Turkey? Mix red-neck with Nihon.

Did you try pickled vegetables, Japanese style? I'm trying to discover how to make the pickled spicy cucumbers they serve at a ramen house in town. Close, but not quite there yet.
Have Fun

Jay