Author Topic: Clothing size troubles.  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Pots

• Chibi
Clothing size troubles.
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »
I notice that I have troubles finding my size when shopping for dresses. The Small is too big but the extra small is too short (shirts/dresses). Sometimes I can't find anything in my size at all. Ive been getting my dresses altered just so they fit.  Does anyone else have problems finding their size?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Clothing size troubles.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:26:46 pm »
yes tho not for small.

Its like a large can be anything from a large to a 2x if that makes sense.

A large at one store is a xl at another,
So its accross the board for sizes huh?
It sucks
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:09 pm »
YES. SO frustrating. Since I'm tall(-ish) and skinny, everything big hangs all off of me and everything small is too short in the cuff and leg area. This is half of what prompted me to start sewing.

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:50:28 pm »
Yeah, I hate it when small at one store is like a large at another.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:26:40 pm »
With what SuperJaz says, I think it mostly depends on brand. It goes the same for me. I'm one of those girls with a body shape that isn't meant for most clothing styles. :<

Hey Pots, how tall are you? Just curious.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »
Okay man I'm right on the line between straight sized and plus sized.
For shirts and skirts I can usually get an L or even an M, but I have HUGE hips (almost 11 inch difference between my hips and waist) so my pant size is a 14 at Old Navy.
My skirt size is an 8.

Also I'm 5'2, so things are always too long, and I have a short torso.

...This is why I like sewing hahaha.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 06:29:42 pm »
With what SuperJaz says, I think it mostly depends on brand. It goes the same for me. I'm one of those girls with a body shape that isn't meant for most clothing styles. :<

Hey Pots, how tall are you? Just curious.

I am in between 5'3 and 5'4 : )

@fleur: Sometimes I wish they would make a variety of clothes for different body types like size small (wide) or size small (slim). At least they don't have those one size fit all like they do in Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:33:42 pm by Pots »

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »
Ah, do you perhaps have a long torso? I only ask because the comment about some skirts/dresses being to short.
da/tumblr

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »
Ah, do you perhaps have a long torso? I only ask because the comment about some skirts/dresses being to short.

Idk but extra small seems to be reallly short for most things. I think my legs are pretty long.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 06:43:25 pm »
Ah that too causes problems with skirts.

The main problem for me is that I have a rather large butt, so skirts sit higher on me. >_> So I have to be super careful with bending over and what not.
da/tumblr

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 07:11:54 pm »
Ohh that sucks >: I fear having my skirt ride up then I bend over so I always wear shorts underneath.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 11:14:09 pm »
My clothes fit me perfectly > u >

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »

GET OUT!!
(just kidding ^.^)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 11:46:34 pm »
Darn it Shay stop being perfect >:[ (actually, don't)

I have the same problem as you, flyinvee.  I'm 5'11" with a 28" waist, 39" hips, and really muscular legs (I blame biking).  Finding pants that fits me comfortably is nigh impossible.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:50:52 am »

I have the same problem as you, flyinvee.  I'm 5'11" with a 28" waist, 39" hips, and really muscular legs (I blame biking).  Finding pants that fits me comfortably is nigh impossible.
Are you a woman
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 11:32:33 am »

Are you a woman

My thoughts exactly, lol...

I guess I should make a goal to gain more weight so I don't look like a limp beansprout. Bring on the apple pies with ice creaam !:D

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 05:49:30 pm »
I tried women's pants.  Didn't work either.  Skirts are the only thing I can wear comfortably.  I've found three pairs of pants that fit my enourmous butt, but one of them is retired (ripped at Akicon), one of them had to be converted to shorts, and the third probably won't last long since I wear them ALL THE TIME.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 12:49:38 am »
Oh man... buying clothes is such a love/hate thing for me. For Christmas I got mostly gift cards to places for clothes and stuff, and I'm super excited, but I also know that there's going to be quite a bit of frustration involved.

I'm just over 5 foot so a lot of times it's hard to find things that aren't too long, also I'm pretty curvy and it just so happens that most clothes that are made to fit women with more hourglass figures is for people who are taller as well (I have no idea why this is.....)

There are a lot of times because of the way I'm proportioned that finding clothes just gets me more depressed than anything, but it's totally worth it when I find that one outfit that works. Still though, it is kind of sucky when there are certain stores my friends want to go have 'girly time' in and I know already that they don't carry my size... =/
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:03:05 am »
Or say it was just christmas I would love pjs but I don't get any  because of store size differences they have to be returned
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:39 am »
I was just thinking about this situation yesterday.
I have *several* gorgeous dresses (evening gown type) that fit my body perfectly slinkily, that, however, I have never worn, that languish in my bedroom, because they are too long. I would trip over them. They fit the rest of me but I am too short for them. I don't know how to sew and I haven't been able to save up $ to have them altered. What I really need is to find someone who wants to barter for skills I can offer. Anything from proofreading/editing/beta reading/writing/dictation/transcription to personal assisting to child or pet care to gardening or rides to places or anything at all. Anyway the few times I have paid to have dresses shortened what I have done is have them make "wraps" out of the cut-off material. Did this for my cousin's wedding last year, worked out well (she's Orthodox Jewish, so I had to cover my arms).
Another problem I have is that most of the clothes that fit me are in the "teen" sections and "teen" stores and sometimes the stores clerks look at me funny for being there since I am neither a teen nor the parent of a teen.
Back when I did wear jeans I used to have to get boys' as I wasn't curvy enough for girls'.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »
Yeah, I still shop at Kids Gap :D They have cute, good quality clothes though.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:34 pm »
I have to alter pretty much any clothing I want to fit accurately :/ I'm like a 10 in the bust, 4-6 in the waist, and an 8 in the hips. NOTHING FITS ME RIGHT