Author Topic: Languages  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
Languages
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:03 pm »
@Miria - Yep.  That he is. XD

Oh gods, I hate noise, too.  I used to be afraid of vacuums for the longest time, even!
*laughs*  And that's true.  It's always great when someone can be truly in character, though. ;w;  It makes things so much fun.  You know, when it's appropriate.

*dies* I GUESS.
How did you learn your German? owo
Preussisches Kaese... as in... Prussian cheese?  FFFFT. Ich glaube es!  Viel, viel besser! (...Egal ob ich es nicht wirklich gehabt habe... ) XD  *approves of that comment way too much*
Guwaaahhhh... I feel I need to apologize for if my German is super terrible. ;w;  I-I haven't used it for an actual conversation in a couple of years.  *forgetting so much*  And, like I said, I never really learned how to spell anything. xD;

(Setting new topic name. ~randompvg)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:53:09 am by randompvg »
Kumoricon '13 Lineup
Day 0; Pleinair (Disgaea)
Day 1; Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan), Meenah (Homestuck)
Day 2; Aradisprite in morning (Homestuck)
Day 3; ??? Dunno either Eren or Pleinair

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
Re: 2011: Hetalia
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »
@Miria - Yeaahhhh... always try to vacuum as quickly as possible. ;w;  *always does a poor job because of that, though* xD;

Achso!  I learned it by going to Germany as an exchange student for a year. ;w; I didn't know anything beyond 'hallo' when I went, though.  If  I had taken class, I would be a lot better at it and know much more about the proper uses of der/die/das, dem/den/whatever else, etc. ;w;  And I did learn some of that, but that was, like, two years ago... so it's all gone away. @w@;;
Before I cosplay Switzerland, I will probably read all my German manga to get a little better at it before screaming German at people in public, though. XD
Kumoricon '13 Lineup

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:09:09 pm »
DON'T FORGET ABOUT DES. :D I love des, I just can't use it correctly. xD;; We don't learn genitive in my class, so that is left to my own research and bothering the kid in our class who has spoken German since he was born~

Oooh, I see. Well, for not taking a class, you're doing well! Do you know imperfect past tense? I use it more than one is supposed to, but that's because I think perfect is inefficient and the North Germans use it in conversation anyway. >.>

And yeah, we're going to the meetup tomorrow! Are you?

Malaria, aww, why do you have to go as Sealand? ): I don't have an Austria to bug now~
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »
@Miria- YES, THAT TOO. 8'D;  *has no idea how to use it, though*
Umm... I might know a little, just from hearing it in common speech... but I don't really know many of the proper terms for things, like genitive. *has no idea what that is* xD;
I... I only remember being told about dative...and... crud, something else... *doesn't remember the name*  Though I can't even remember what any of those even are now. *headdesk*  I should try to bring out all my German notes from the language class I took while I was there. ;w;  
*laughs*  Although my German that I do know is based off of the 'pure' German--hochduetsch... or whatever it's called. xD  So I probably don't know too much slang. ;w;

And yessss~  I am going!  >w<
I'm being Romano. ;w;  Probably will be the last time I am ever him at a meet.  I was him last time, too.  I never got any money for new cosplays. -A-;  But I'm going to be getting some soon, so if there are any meets in the future, I will be able to be someone else for once.  *pumps fists*
Kumoricon '13 Lineup

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:48 pm »
@Miria- YES, THAT TOO. 8'D;  *has no idea how to use it, though*
Umm... I might know a little, just from hearing it in common speech... but I don't really know many of the proper terms for things, like genitive. *has no idea what that is* xD;
I... I only remember being told about dative...and... crud, something else... *doesn't remember the name*  Though I can't even remember what any of those even are now. *headdesk*  I should try to bring out all my German notes from the language class I took while I was there. ;w;  
*laughs*  Although my German that I do know is based off of the 'pure' German--hochduetsch... or whatever it's called. xD  So I probably don't know too much slang. ;w;

And yessss~  I am going!  >w<
I'm being Romano. ;w;  Probably will be the last time I am ever him at a meet.  I was him last time, too.  I never got any money for new cosplays. -A-;  But I'm going to be getting some soon, so if there are any meets in the future, I will be able to be someone else for once.  *pumps fists*
I speak Hochdeutsch as well. My German teacher is Austrian, though, but she tries to speak Hochdeutsch for us. I know some slang, but not very much. I can barely remember the swear words~ xD;;

Awesome! I'll make sure to talk to you and high-five you or something!  :)

Nominative, Accusative, Dative, and Genitive are the cases in German. Genitive is the possessive case- We don't really have it in English because we use 's or of. Then again, there's barely any difference between cases in English anyway, and the word "whom" is falling out of use.

SORRY I'M A LANGUAGE GEEK -dies-

Miria: cases=deathdeathdeath

I'm going as Sealand 'cause Yagi's doing Norway, and I don't have any pictures of my Sealand yet. And because I'm super invested in freezing, I guess? It's raining tomorrow, so I can get mud all over my nice white socks as a bonus.
But you know I'll pretty much act the same either way, since I'm immune to the vaguely LARPy part of cosplay.
Even in cosplay, I don't think that I act as obnoxiously as Prussia. I dunno, though, sometimes. .

Cases are fun and easy. . When you're doing homework. When you're writing a story or speaking, they're suddenly very hard and you forget when to use them. D:

Out of curiosity, do you know Yiddish? I think Cassi does, but I don't remember. xD;; If so, are the cases so horrible? German and Yiddish are kinda similar, but a few of the words mean totally different things. Like schmuck. >.>
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:26:15 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:25:44 pm »
@Malaria - 8'D! *thumbs up*
Oooh, goodie.  I'm waaayyyy more active on dA, too. ;w;
That's why I am hardly ever on these forums.  I am constantly told I should show up and post here more, but... well, I have a hard time staying current with more than one website. xD;;

@Miria - Aww... Well, we all know I can't write in German anyway, so.. *shrug*
I could never do things like read an actual German book, either. ;w;  I should try, though.  I bought a couple that I have the English counterparts for.
I think I had such a hard time with them--the cases, I mean--because I was being taught by someone who couldn't really speak English, so everything was learned on the very little German I knew.

Yiddish? owo Nuuu, I have no clue what that is, actually.
Kumoricon '13 Lineup

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:27:43 pm »
*dies*
Didn't see the half of that post directed to me. xD;;;  *headdesks*

BUHYEAH.  Gotta say hello for sure. ;w; <3
And that's okay!  I may not understand any of your... language geekiness... but.. *shrugs*  It's interesting what little I do know. ;w;
Kumoricon '13 Lineup

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »
xD;; I was talking to Malaria @ the Yiddish thing. Yiddish is Hebrew + German + Slavic languages, from what I know, and is spoken by Ashkenazi Jews.

Your written German wasn't too bad. I've read fairy tales in German. Occasionally I read fanfic, but it's hard. My first year I tried to read manga in German. . FAIL.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:47 pm »
@Miria - Yeaaahhh, realized that when I went to refresh the page after I commented and saw there was a second half to your comment that I somehow didn't see in the little box-thinger below the reply box. ;w;''  *headdesks again*

Oh gosh, though, I thought reading a manga in German was brilliant in helping to learn the language.  I mean, you're constantly told to read children books, but they are so boring for older readers, even if the language is at your level.  Translating a manga is easier because it's more dialog-y and keeps your attention a bit more.  Of course... trying to read it while being a first year learner would be... pretty hard... xD;
Kumoricon '13 Lineup

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 10:41:33 pm »
@Miria - Oooh, okay. I thought I had just gone momentarily blind.  It happens to me. ;w; Quite a lot.

....*LAUGHS*  Doctor Barbie?  I-I don't think I have ever seen that at a doctor's office.  I sometimes find myself with an urge to play with the little kiddies toys, though? 8'D;  I refrain, of course, but it's still there. ;w;

You could probably do it really easily now!  I have Naruto all the way up to volume 35 in German. I found reading them after my year in Germany was waaayyy easier than during the early months I was there.  Especially since I know the story and vaguely recall what happens in each scene.  *snorts*  Got a lot of yaoi while I was there, too. XD
Kumoricon '13 Lineup

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »
@Miria - Oooh, okay. I thought I had just gone momentarily blind.  It happens to me. ;w; Quite a lot.

....*LAUGHS*  Doctor Barbie?  I-I don't think I have ever seen that at a doctor's office.  I sometimes find myself with an urge to play with the little kiddies toys, though? 8'D;  I refrain, of course, but it's still there. ;w;

You could probably do it really easily now!  I have Naruto all the way up to volume 35 in German. I found reading them after my year in Germany was waaayyy easier than during the early months I was there.  Especially since I know the story and vaguely recall what happens in each scene.  *snorts*  Got a lot of yaoi while I was there, too. XD
I mostly read it for lulz. >.> Some of it is so cheesy, and it's something to do while I wait because they always take forever.

Haha, I probably could! I don't read much manga anymore, though. The one I attempted to read was Gentlemen's Alliance, and I really liked it, so I might actually consider picking it up again. .
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »
Miria: Haha, yeah, I'm pretty much the most rambunctious Austria I've met.

It is pretty cool, despite me having the fluency of a small child. XD And I'd guess that your Polish~my Russian, 'cause I tend to just drop into English.
When I went with my family to the Ukraine, I was told that my sister and I weren't allowed to talk in cabs, 'cause the driver might try to hold us for ransom. Endemic corruption is awesome.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 10:56:42 pm »
Miria: Okay, so you are worse off than me. But I am definitely familiar with belligerent relatives who think you're being an asshole for speaking in English. blegh
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:31 pm »
Miria: Okay, so you are worse off than me. But I am definitely familiar with belligerent relatives who think you're being an asshole for speaking in English. blegh
They don't get mad, they just look at me expectantly. And I'm just like, "ENGLISH, PLEASE. D:"

Belligerent relatives, though, that sucks.
"Would you kindly. ."