Author Topic: This is the thread where we talk about Western Animation and Comics.  (Read 19391 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: This is the thread where we talk about Western Animation and Comics.
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 11:30:28 pm »
Not a fan of that or Darkwing Duck, Tail Spin, or anything like that. I did like the movie, though. Genie was my favorite character by far.

Gargoyles is another matter. Gargoyles was so cool.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2011, 11:50:17 pm »
CHOWDER?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 03:21:06 am »
Watched my first episode of Chowder today.

Nnnnot for me. Definitely not for me. Like, at all. You enjoy it, though.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 03:46:13 am »
Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics, anyone?
They're probably my favorite things to read. Like, ever.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2011, 02:21:23 am »
Sandmaaaaan~ I read it when I was like...twelve. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't actually understand most of it. I'm gonna reread it in a year or two and see if I get it. XD

Lychee, I agree with you about Chowder. My sister loves it but my reaction is pretty much just :/.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2011, 09:18:25 am »
Haha, that's about when I first read it too. And yeah, I definitely recommend an eventually reread. The more times I reread it, the more I get out of it. If nothing else, you start to piece the story together better, since none of the storylines for any of the non-Dream characters ever actually end.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »
I've read several volumes of Sandman, but I just can't bring myself to really appreciate it. I recognize that the volumes are fantastic stories and that the characters are well done, but it's just so dry that it's a rare one that I like. My favorite out of the lot, and one I really enjoyed, was when Lucifer quit ruling over Hell and a decision had to be made who would take his place.

Personally I find "American Gods" more appealing than "Sandman". I love the idea of modern gods battling gods of old. That, and Anubis being a mortician is a fantastic idea.

Did any of you go to Stumptown? If so, what did you like, and did you buy anything?

I had a budget of $60 and blew it by $80. I didn't get free beer at my 1ok today since I was so slow and the lines were stupidly long so I treated myself to comics instead.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »
I feel for you scooter pie. I forgot to drink some beer last night after work too. They had some Full Sail lager at Wal-Mart the other day.

I read the book American Gods. Odin is still one of the more interesting/complex gods.

Elder gods, are we talking ones like Mammon? Many of them were reclassified to devils, such as Baal, Beelzebub, Mammon.

So has Japan come fully around to American style of animation with offerings such as Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt, High School of the Dead, and Tiger Bunny? Seems that way. They're all made in Korea now. Viet Nam in a couple years I bet.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 01:45:10 am »
I would argue that Panty and Stocking are still very Japanese. It's definitely heavily influened by American graffiti and pop what with Pantie's love of English swear words.

If you're referring to my comment about gods of old with "Elder gods", I mean the old ancient civilization beliefs within "American Gods" versus the "New gods" in the book like Internet and Media.