Author Topic: How short is too short?  (Read 10222 times)

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
How short is too short?
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »
skirts are never too short ! 8DDD

(/ahem)

anyways .  .. i need to post some amazing stuff that i sorta have
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
How short is too short?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »
I would normally agree with you, but not where under age girls are involved.  And that's about 80% of the anime community (that dress up).

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
How short is too short?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »
.... Oh snap - your right . .
Omg ; m; im a bad person

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
How short is too short?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:25:02 am »
; A ;
*is shamed*
moe bad for short skirt ; n ;

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
How short is too short?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:09 am »
Strictly speaking, short skirts aren't inherently bad. What would be inherently bad is an adult seeing such a skirt and thinking that makes it okay to treat an underage girl who wears one as a sex object. We ought to be past the days of thinking nonconsensual sex can be excused if the girl was wearing a short skirt.

But given the hypersexualized society we live in, they can be a bad idea, because there are a lot of people who would get that in their heads. Maybe it's a quibbling difference, but there is a difference between the two.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:13:36 am by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
Re: How short is too short?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:29:34 am »
I started a n-new topic 8D

Uhm but yeah . Totally agree. If your like .. 14 and below - dont wear a mini D| accident yes , purpose .. No. This is when dem creepers creep

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:43:43 am »
If you are comfortable with wearing it, then it's never too short, unless you are underage like the people above are talking.

NOW if you are cosplaying something with a short skirt (ie Sailor Moon), I know their skirts are short, but if your ass is hanging out of the back or I can see your panties with every step that's too short. Think about the character you are trying to portray and the such.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:22 am »
If you're wearing a skirt or outfit that will show too much of your body, then get the skin colored spandex or shorts. It doesn't work for all characters, and if you're over 18 then you're a bit safer... But for younger girls, even if you have the body to pull that look off, think about where you have to walk to and from con or photoshoot locations.

I had this issue with my Yuna costume since the skirt's a petticoat, and I had to use public transportation while wearing that costume. I solved my problem by wearing a yukata over the entire costume and tying it shut until I was a good 20ft inside the con building.
I did this not because I was too young, but because of my height and that skirt, I feel aren't a good mix. That said, even if you're stronger or confident in your ability to defend yourself, you shouldn't take any unnecessary risk in exposing your body to a crowd you don't want to. If you're staying at the hotel, yay. If you're driving in, think of how far away you might need to park.

And really, if it's not the appearance of your body to people, think about how cold you might be. Having something like a blanket or yukata around just to cover up for a few minutes is great.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 02:34:11 am »
^and i rest the case i didn't have to even open :D

you practically took the words right out of my mouth, amen sista! -w-b

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 02:10:38 pm »
I agree that it's all about how comfortable you are in the skirt, your age, and accuracy. If you are wearing a short skirt just because you want it to be short...you might want to consider the pedos that sneak around con with cameras. Long skirts for accuracy are sometimes very good when you are an adorable girl.
Even if you are 18 and up, if you are short you can look younger and more adorable...thus attention can and sometimes will still shine on you.
Remember, the shorter, the better in a perv's eyes!! (Sometimes normal people too. No offense to those of you who think this. Just saying pervs think this way... Not that you're a perv if you do but...yea... :/)

Always take your body into account, like Vera said. If I can see your butt and I'm not below you on stairs, you aren't bending over, or I'm not on the ground trying to see it...that skirt probably needs some cloth. Some cosplays I understand but with those please don't wear a thong. :/ At least try and cover your butt to be somewhat modest. (If I can see your butt I understand you don't have an issue with modesty however, sometimes a little is needed.)
Remember there are sometimes children running around and they have the best down stairs view of all of us. Do you really want a five year old to look up and see something right in their face? Maybe a Roy Mustang offspring but normal kids...probably not.

I wouldn't wear skin toned undies but maybe that's just me. I would wear the same color as the skirt. But that depends on how sort it is. Skin color isn't always skin color and can stand out while same color panties can hide the fact of them being panties better.

Spandex is another God Send for short skirts. If you are wearing a skirt of any length and you feel a bit uncomfy or know that there is a perv stalking you, toss on some spandex or skivvies (The things cheerleaders wear) to keep yourself a bit more covered. This also allows you to be more free with your movements and can keep you warmer if it's cold out.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 02:19:42 pm »
Roy doesn't want five year olds in mini's D:
 but.
uh agreed with everything else.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 02:21:49 pm »
XP Okay, maybe I worded that wrong... A Roy Mustang off spring would want to be the kid looking up the skirt.

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »
That's MUCH BETTER.
; D glad thats fixed

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »
Mini-shorts underneath are good ideas too, or even a skort. It's give modest. I had the Mini-shorts on all the time last year.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »
Every time there's a short skirt, I sew shorts into it. I cosplay both Rikku and Sailor moon... and they both have built-in shorts :D :D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »
I would normally agree with you, but not where under age girls are involved.  And that's about 80% of the anime community (that dress up).

I agree with this message 1000% of the way!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »
If you are comfortable with wearing it, then it's never too short, unless you are underage like the people above are talking.

NOW if you are cosplaying something with a short skirt (ie Sailor Moon), I know their skirts are short, but if your ass is hanging out of the back or I can see your panties with every step that's too short. Think about the character you are trying to portray and the such.
If you want to be a total sleaze to fit the character you can, and will be LOVED!! by the fans. But remember who you are outside the con events.  Not that I'm a perv, but anime for me is all about the ridiculousness and OMGness that flows between every scene be it gundam or a high school comedy.  If you are wearing a skirt that shows your butt hanging out the bottom while you are just standing there, you will be noticed by me and EVERY guy there (probably the girls too).

Short skirt characters at an anime con, BIG+   However not everyone there has reached the maturity to differentiate between hormones and anime coolness in the form of character reenactment.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 06:04:23 pm »

If you want to be a total sleaze to fit the character you can, and will be LOVED!! by the fans. But remember who you are outside the con events.  Not that I'm a perv, but anime for me is all about the ridiculousness and OMGness that flows between every scene be it gundam or a high school comedy.  If you are wearing a skirt that shows your butt hanging out the bottom while you are just standing there, you will be noticed by me and EVERY guy there (probably the girls too).

Short skirt characters at an anime con, BIG+   However not everyone there has reached the maturity to differentiate between hormones and anime coolness in the form of character reenactment.
I disagree with this statement completely. Perverted guys (and some girls) may hoop and holler about a girl's butt hanging out of her skirt but the majority of people are going to look down on that girl. Cosplay or not, being a whore is not okay. (Not saying everyone like that is a whore. I love cosplaying in 'sexy' attires but my butt stays covered and my boobs don't threaten to burst from my top.)
Remember that there are parents, adults, and little children who attend these events. This isn't a hentai convention and people of ALL ages, backgrounds, and types thrive in these places. Also, con rules state that certain areas must be covered which includes the butt, groin, and boobs.

Yeah, they will be noticed but not in a good way by a vast majority of people.

Short skirts go over nice, yes. Tiny skirts do not.
Maturity means nothing in the aspect of your butt hanging out of your skirt.

Maybe this is just me but oh well. If I was a mother and I saw butts everywhere, I would never take my children to that con again.
Con is supposed to be a family friendly environment. Butts are not always family friendly.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 06:06:46 pm »
Wearing cheer briefs of a matching color under the skirt is an excellent choice - since the cheer briefs are basically equivalent to wearing a bikini bottom (that is, they're designed to be seen) you don't have to worry about accidentally exposing yourself.

Another reason to make sure you have proper under garments beneath a short skirt is to keep in mind that when you sit down your bare behind might be touching something that some smelly unwashed person just vacated. Personally, I think that's a really good reason to ensure that you do cover yourself - think about all the people who sat on that seat before you (ewwwww).  

When I wear my Haruhi costume, which has a skirt short enough that almost none of the skirt fabric remains underneath me when I sit, in addition to wearing the matching cheer briefs, I also wear tights and sometimes bring along a towel or furoshiki to sit on so that my legs do not touch the chairs at all. This is MOSTLY because hotel chairs tend to be made from wool and I'm allergic to wool, but it also serves as a sanitary shield between me and the dirty chair.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 06:14:17 pm »
Ya, any skin on something unsanitary would nerk me all day long until I was able to go to a bathroom to wash that area.  So far I've only worn pants on at the convention.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 04:45:58 pm »
Unless you're trying to dress lolita.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:43 pm »
I'm sorry but when I wear skirts (short or medium length), I have to wear shorts underneath. Why? There are tons of perverts out there and I know from experience. It was two years ago when I attended con and I dressed up as a gothic lolita. Even though the dress reached the knees, I still wore shorts because there were guys out there who "wooo" at people that are considered "sexy" to them...And I mean ones that are in con and out of con. I didn't show any cleavage; my arms were the only ones bare and guys still give you the eye. Like I said, I know this from experience at the swing dancing tutorial panel thingy. >.>

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 03:12:48 am »
^ People do just like the look.  I doubt it was a good eye you were given by many, but I hope you don't mean any guy who looked you up and down once.  If we can't look at someone as a whole I guess there would be no need to dress up and we can all stare at our screens all day long.  No exceptions, appropriate behavior still should to be paid to those who dress up.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
You guys need to remind yourself too, that it is dressing up. The normal city will stare at you for wearing something that's not bought at JC Penny. Kimonos, costume, lolita, and add the wig, and you're just begging to be awed at. Add in girls in skirts of any length that might or might not add color to the dreary place, and you will get guys looking at you. Anything that is form-fitting, pants and a blouse, or hangs and leaves something to be desired, a nice long dress, you will be looked at by everyone. That's probably... at least half the point of cosplaying, is to be looked at.

There are characters who I think really question our "family friendly" idea, top of my head is Yoko from Gurren Lagaan. I've seen them around before and they look awsome- are awsome "Yoko". On the flip side, that's A a lot of cleavage and B a lot of skin on the legs. That's just the way Yoko is. *shrug*

Even if you're wearing normal clothes and hair for a costume, you'll be looked at at some point in time. I stare at people in platform shoes, or in shoes that don't match their costumes. Or in long wigs that might be tangling. Lots of skin catches my eye if that person is walking by me. Human eye just follows skin. Turn this attribute to kids four feet and under, and I don't think you want them seeing your rump, or having parents complain to staff to ask you to cover up. It's happened to guys. I know a guy cosplaying Rocklee a few years ago at Kumori, at this hotel we're going at, was asked via parent via staff to cover up his manly bits. Clarification: they were covered, but you could see a very ghostly hint of their shape. The guy was cool about it and had no problem with covering it, or modifying it in some manner.

Point is there will always be some parent or person unhappy with your personal private bits being exposed to their 6 year old. How you handle it matters. Skin colored spandex or briefs... Something should cover you.

I really agree with the blanket or towel idea for chairs. I don't like to sit on them just cause the metal around them is cold and makes me more cold when I'm in a miniskirt. Add to fact that I'll sit on the floor a lot at cons, I want a jacket or something to sit on or cover a good portion of my legs. Arms I don't care about. I like my arms and I don't have a bust for people to gawk at usually. One of my friends in pants and a shirt, normal clothes, was gawked at by a drunk guy one con (like he stumbled into us with perverted motives in mind, we could tell), and it was because she's about 5'2" with a huge rack.

Again, we have these creepy people out there. Cosplays are made to be looked at. And sadly, you need to take action to protect yourself. Travel in groups of 3 or more, have cellphones on everyone, and be sure you can sprint or run in your shoes. Not saying you'll ever need that safety net, but it's better to have it than to not.
Kumori'15

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 01:05:02 pm »
On a more critical note, it's difficult for me to focus on and appreciate craftsmanship and detail if I am trying to not focus on near naked women (in my case and preference).

It is a weird, almost undefinable line, though, as mentioned before, the Yoko's are so over the top that it's easier to see their character than the cosplayer.

As a general rule, though, I'd say ask a sane friend before you brave the streets in your 6" tu-tu.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »
So that parent never takes their kid to a pool or a beach? Bathing suits show more skin than Yoko. I understand the need to cover genitals/nipples, but Yoko's costume covers those and follows the Kumoricon dress code.

When I'm wearing short skirts and sitting, I cross my legs and make sure I'm wearing opaque tights. I'm aware you can't always do the tights thing in cosplay, though, but one can always wear shorts underneath their skirts.

I've had a huge rack since I was thirteen and I've been getting catcalls since then. It really shouldn't happen, in or out of cosplay. =\
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 03:38:33 pm »
^ Unfortunately, one person's "compliment" is often another person's "being a jerk@**" and vice versa. I like the way one of my friends put it a few years ago: "I'm a cosplayer. Not a call girl."
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 04:49:53 am »
It is just soo odd when you want to walk around, or perhaps ask them to turn around, so you can admire the work in making a costume but you feel you will be hated for that vary thing.  Our social norms sure play a part in how everyone feels on this subject, regardless of the fact that we dress up TO BE LOOKED AT, among other things.

Offline sporkoon

• Chibi
    • Long neglected deviantart site
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 12:56:15 am »
any parent bringing their child to an anime convention has to be aware that there will be people dressed in sexy costumes. if they dont want their children to see short skirts and cleavage, then they shouldnt bring them! as long as the naughty bits are covered i have no problem with any length of skirt. there are some awesome characters that dont wear much, and if someone has the confidence to portray those characters accurately more power to them. that being said, girls should be aware that wearing those kinds of clothes will attract attention, some of it unwanted, and be prepared to fend creepers off. i know i have to when i wear misa or jo from burst angel -_-
()()
(**)
(___)0
If love is blind, then I have 20/20 vision

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »
Mmm jo.  I don't even see the clothes when I look at her.  Just her pissed off face, something about it makes me want to huggle her sooo much! 

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 12:13:13 am »
^ Probably because Jo's pissed off face is her normal face XD And she puts up with some huggling. That, and she has the power to ***kick anyone who messes with her. And granted, Jo covers more than some other characters *shrug*

I agree though, if the person wants to show that character accurately and all the parts are covered and they know what they're getting into. More power to them~! :)
Kumori'15

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »
Go team skirts!!!   :D

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57:44 pm »
I am 15 and while I do were mini-skrits (from Hottopic) I all ways were shorts or leggins that cover my skin. But I think people underage should really think about how they are wearing it and how much trouble it can get them into. But I cover up more.

-is random sorry-
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 11:58:15 am »
My dad understands that there will be some innappropriate cosplays at the con. I don't think he's really bothered by it, but he doesn't like, be all perverted and check them out. He actually looks at the cosplay itself and not the body of the cosplayer.
My dad is into all the DoA games, and when he sees a cosplay from it, and a majority of the girl's cosplays on there are very scandelous, and he just has to check them out.

I believe my dad would let me cosplay anyone I wanted as long as I wear spandex shorts under the short skirt, dress, or shorts. As long as my upper area is covered, he wouldn't complain. I'm flat chested, so it's not really that tempting to look.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »
I am 15 and while I do were mini-skrits (from Hottopic) I all ways were shorts or leggins that cover my skin. But I think people underage should really think about how they are wearing it and how much trouble it can get them into. But I cover up more.

-is random sorry-
Uh, how would it get underage people in trouble? If you're talking about harassment, it doesn't matter what you're wearing- People get harassed when they're just wearing jeans and T-shirts.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 06:13:57 pm »
If it's shorter than shorts could be, then it ceases to be a skirt, in my book. 

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »

-is random sorry-
Uh, how would it get underage people in trouble? If you're talking about harassment, it doesn't matter what you're wearing- People get harassed when they're just wearing jeans and T-shirts.

I should re-word that.

By in trouble I ment that may be they attrack preverts more. There for finding them self in trouble. But eather way people can be stalked by a pervert no matter what they have on.
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »

-is random sorry-

Looking at it from the perspective of a 28 year old male, I feel dirty when I'm checking out a good looking young woman and find out that the "woman" is actually a child.  I can understand where you're coming from based off of one of your earlier posts (all three of my sisters had big racks before they were thirteen) but when you're showing off a LOT of skin, you give off the impression that people checking you out, or worse, doesn't bother you.

I'm pretty sure that within the cosplay community, just about all of us guys understand that a girl dressing up as an anime character who shows a lot of leg or cleavage doesn't mean that the girl always dresses like that and probably doesn't want THAT kind of attention.

As for the "trouble" that you were mentioning, think Ashley Pond & Miranda Gaddis; that'll give you a basic of idea.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:36 pm »
I can agree with revealing clothing giving the impression that "checking you out" is okay, though it's impolite to openly stare at anyone regardless of what they're wearing. But I would take sharp exception to "or worse".

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 02:57:40 pm »
The impolite thing, I agree with.  The worse part is something that can, and does, happen.  Just because they're not common at family-friendly conventions, it doesn't mean that they never happen.  Revealing clothing can lead to those kind of thoughts, and sometimes those actions.  Again, not to common at our con, but they have happened before.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:29 pm »
^ If it makes sense, the only exception I took was with a technical point in the wording.

Does it sometimes lead to worse? Absolutely, because some people are too effed up to respect others' boundaries or think with anything other than their "secondary brain".

But the effed-up ones are the cause, not the people who dress scantily. I know it wasn't meant that way, but to say that someone who wears revealing clothing gives the impression that yadda yadda yadda implies they've given consent to be treated that way and/or are the cause.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:48:01 pm by randompvg »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 04:27:12 pm »
Actually, it kind of was.

There are those that don't understand, or care, that dressing revealing doesn't mean they want "attention."  However, there are those that do dress in such a manner for that very purpose.  Why is it that characters dress in a revealing fashion?  Sex appeal.  Dressing up as such a character should clearly indicate that people will be looking; that's the way that I saw it when I was Mikuru.  I didn't think I'd get as much attention as I did, but I knew that I'd get some, including some friends wanting to grope me.  I was partially bothered that some unknown teenage girls decided to smack my butt without prior consent.  I know that it was supposed to be in good fun (at least I'd like to think so) but it'd be better if they asked first, not just out of respect, but also because I was on my way to do something work-related.

People know that there's those that will "help themselves" to a touch, or something.  I say that if you're going to do these cosplays, keep in mind that some people (though hopefully not) will try to have some fun at your expense.  For the teens, I especially don't like the idea of this happening, because they're children.  I also personally don't like seeing teens dressing too provocatively because I'm a male who checks out attractive females (because that's the way straight guys are wired) and get embarrassed and sick when I see that they're kids.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »
^ I agree. Just because someone shows their skin at anime convention doesn't mean they have given consent or are asking for that kind of ACTION to be taken upon them (ie. groping). This then results in many different things and opinions coming of this.

But you should never assume that just because someone is cosplaying someone who dresses in a certain style (ie. lolita, scantily, kimono, goth, casual) that they always dress like that. Maybe they're dressing like it for the sake of an event, special themed photoshoot, or the character. Maybe they dislike the theme they're wearing because it does show their skin or has a part they don't like (ie. they don't like the skirt, but like the top, but you can't wear one without the other in said case).

I've worn some cosplays that I wear because I like the character's personality, or the colors. But maybe I don't like a certain aspect of it, like the boot style... But to be a full costume, it wouldn't look right without that part. *shrug*

And I say, if you're the person looking at the cosplays, be on the lookout for badges. Some conventions have different colors that are obvious differences between the minors and adults. And even if, you should always be mindful of that person and show respect. I like the lil rule your mother teaches you "it's rude to stare". Which it is. It's ok to ask them if you can look at their costume upclose (for a technical standpoint) and see if they say it's ok. Or maybe even ask them how they feel/deal with the rude starers-who-take-it-to-action.

In the case that you're the one be stared at and don't feel comfortable/safe asking someone to stop. Ask the con staff about it probably. And really, have something like a blanket to cover you if you're that uncomfortable- but still try to wear costumes that you'll be comfortable in. If you get a serious problem at a con, there are con staff you can talk to about this, I'm sure. And probably even the police. I think it's a Right/Law somewhere about harassment/stalking for privacy purposes, if you wanted to bother the police about it. But it all would depend on what your situation is.

And really, if someone does help themselves, you are perfectly in your right to shout at them rudely "PERVERT" or tell them "That's rude, don't do that" or something. If I got rude attention like that I'd give them a hardy shove, punch and kick if needed. I'm not afraid to injure someone if they make me feel uncomfortable. That's not the best idea though cause you could get in trouble for that ("aw there's no reason to hit them over it"). "Yes there freaking was. They were being rude and not getting my spoken word to knock it off".
Kumori'15

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 06:30:11 pm »
The problem with that last part you said is that you can get into more trouble than the someone in question, especially if what you did causes a legitimate physical harm.  I personally think it should be allowed, but sadly enough the law doesn't (though I think most cops, judges, and jury members would've been "Well, they had it coming; come on, now.")

A rule that I liked when growing up, on top of "It's rude to stare," is "Dress like you're dressing for your brother," which I guess is more for non-con attire, so I guess it's not really too applicable to this conversation, but it's a good rule I believe.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »
^ If it makes sense, the only exception I took was with a technical point in the wording.

Does it sometimes lead to worse? Absolutely, because some people are too effed up to respect others' boundaries or think with anything other than their "secondary brain".

But the effed-up ones are the cause, not the people who dress scantily. I know it wasn't meant that way, but to say that someone who wears revealing clothing gives the impression that yadda yadda yadda implies they've given consent to be treated that way and/or are the cause.
thisthisthis

I don't care if someone's checking me out. Really, I don't care. Depending on who they are, I might be a little squicked out, but it won't bother me too much. But if they begin yelling at me, or touching me, or anything else, it's really not okay even if I'm wearing revealing clothes.

Washougal, I figured that was what she meant. But revealing clothes are not the cause of that; people with really messed up brains are. If someone is going to kidnap, rape, torture, or in any other way abuse someone, it is not because the victim is wearing revealing clothing. I know that there are people out there who think that is the reason, but just because they think that does not make it true.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »
You know honestly I have to say I've never had any issues with this before, and I don't see it to be that big of a deal.
I've cosplayed Yoko and Haruhi before (both with skimpy outfits) and I've never had anyone try to look up my skirt or stalk me or anything. I think most (I said most, not all.) people at our cons are respectful and smart enough towards cosplayers to see it as an art form rather than sex appeal.
Yes a skirt that doesn't cover your butt at all is bad. But I have a few friends who were born with big butts and even a normal length skirt barley covers her butt. I understand that should try to be avoided but sometimes it can't be.
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »
I know this started about skirts but...
  How is the hugging department when it comes to rather skimpy outfits?  I know everyone feels different on physical contact, but the majority of people dressing up who look like they are vary happy to be there say they don't mind or encourage hugs.  Does a decrease in covering attire also reduce the comfort level of random happy/excited hugging?