Author Topic: Need Help: Mitochondrial Eve cosplay  (Read 6489 times)

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
Need Help: Mitochondrial Eve cosplay
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »
I'm getting some help at the University with this, but I'm unsure of a few things about this costume. Here are some reference pics, for those who don't know:

Mitochondrial Eve, or just Eve, is from the franchise Parasite Eve.  From the Parasite Eve Wiki:
Mitochondria Eve is a fictional character who serves as the main villainess in both the Parasite Eve film and game series. All Eves are actually women who have been taken over by the consciousness of the mitochondria in their cells. In the novel, they are portrayed as connected organisms present in the cell, contrary to normal mitochondria, which are individuals. Eve takes its name from the mitochondrial Eve, a historic woman in Africa that most people derive their mitochondrial DNA (MRNA) from. All the Eve incarnations have many powers, but they all possess a single, common power: the ability to cause living animals to combust. The first Eve was seen in the Japanese horror novel and film Parasite Eve.

Now, I want to do this outfit as accurately as possible. I am about 5'4", and judging from the proportions of the costume, I would need to be about 7'4" to pull her off accurately.

Problem number one:
Height.
- I was thinking stilts, but I don't know con policy on those

Problem number two:
The Blue Spike.
- I want to make two of them: a long skirt version with kinda shimmery fabric so I can walk, and an actual spike with small holes for feet and stilts for photoshoot and cosplay contest purposes

Problem number three:
The Hair.
- I have an idea I saw someone else do. A wig, a bit too small for my head, crafted into the spikes and heavily painted, then pin it to my head and paint and wind my own hair into it when I wear it. (like this one: Eve Cosplay)

Problem number four:
The Hands
- I was thinking of fashioning prosthetic (I've got help from the university theatre department on this). I'm still hammering out how to make them, but I was thinking something like a splint under the sleeve that hold my elbows straight. My wrist would act as the elbow, and I'll make some kinda puppet mechanism around my fingers and inside the fingers of the prosthetic hand so I can move the fingers. The structure, I was thinking, would be a splint on my arm down to the wrist, then a joint like a hinge or something at the wrist with a dowel, pvc pipe, or something as the bone structure of the bottom arm (false elbow down)
- I have no idea how to make the nails. Ugh
- Foam for the flesh structure?
- Blending the fabric into the hands a bit?
- No idea what to make the fingers out of. It has to be able to bend with little effort
- Somehow make fingerbone like things inside each finger
- Any suggestions to lighten the hands would help
- I'm gonna hate making these xD

Problem number five:
Back Spikes.
- I have no idea how to make the pinkish spike things on Eve's upper back

Problem number six:
Dress.
- Possibly making false legs to get the thigh imprint
- I have NO IDEA WHAT FABRIC TO USE DDDDD8
- The fabric has to be red, and I'll need to gradual dye the purple, and somehow gradual bleach or something hem of the dress
- The stomach. Ugh.
- How to make the dress poof like it should? (seen here and here)
KumoriCon 2012

• Bunnygirl
Re: Need Help: Mitochondrial Eve cosplay
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:40:48 am »
Oh, and has anyone done any simple animatronics on their costume that could maybe help? I know the gist of how to make animatronic hands, but I've never actually done it before.
(Also, after measuring and scaling realized the hands need to be a foot wide. DDDDDDDDDDDD8)
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
well i can give you some ideas

Crafe foam work very well when you heat it up it shapes easly you can use that for somes parts like the legs or so even the hair you can use craf foam like what me and a friend did for his Semor (ff10 didnt spell is name right oh well)  we got a matching wig something cheeper  and used craf foam and basicly pulled the hair around it to do the spikes and it ended up looking very good

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:00 am »
Hmm... I've seen some like that too. The only thing I'm worried about is getting foam to behave correctly. The spikes aren't straight; they're jagged. I might try it though, thanks!
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:39:31 am »
yeah I have a cosplay I am helping my sister with. and the armor is the way way with the like zig zag look  it worked fine for us. :D hope this works out

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »
ah, okay! Thanks, I'll look into it. that would definitely be easier than a TON of glue. Were the spikes hollow?
KumoriCon 2012

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:06 am »
Problem One:
I would nix the stilts just for the sake of ease and expense. You can try making your own, but I don't know con policy, and that sounds scary and dangerous. If nothing else, I've seen home made stilts before at Sakuracon, and it was clunky. Not what you would want with something like this. My suggestion would be to get a good pair of comfy heels from a brand like Sofft, Aerosoles, or maybe even Nine West or Franco Sarto. You might have to drop a pretty penny, but they're shoes you'll wear again more than likely. Anyways, so you've got your heels. Great. Now my real suggestion is to make boot covers for them out of the same material you would make the spike out of. That way, while visible, they'd be a little more natural looking that just bare legs in tennis shoes.

Problem Two:
A skirt might be a great idea! If you can find a stretchy fabric of the right color and texture, you can even make a figure hugging skirt that ends in a "V". Not exact, but it'd be easy.

If you want structure, you can layer up bed foam and shape it out with a bread knife and sharp pair of dressmaker's shears (scissors. They need to be sharp.) Form the foam so it will pad the back of your thighs, swoop forward, and point at the front of your shins. Cover with desired fabric, and there you go. This would be a lot more difficult than it sounds. Plus, bed foam is really messy, but it's really a pretty great material. It's flexible (in larger chunks to a degree), it's hot glueable, but it will be HOT.

Another simple solution is to make leggings of the color and texture of the spike and wear some sexy heels with it. That might be the way to go, actually. In fact, as much as I like accuracy, that's what I might do if I were to try this. McCall's has a bunch of legging patterns, and they go on sale at JoAnn's for $2 a pattern. I just saw the pattern this past weekend. Tada: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6173-products-11288.php?page_id=114 I wasn't kidding ;)

Problem Three:
Sounds like a great idea! But, make sure you have someone down pat to help you out with that. That cosplayer's hair probably took at least an hour and a half to do. If someone agrees to help you, they better not let you down because you'll be stuck in a possible but highly tricky spot without them. I would venture just for the styled wig, mysefl. I would also invest in a good box to keep it in on its own so it won't get squished. I would be SO sad if that happened to you. Seriously. Tragedy.

Problem Four:
I think these hands are highly and fully possible. I suggest making them as hollow as possible to lighten the load. You can use bedfoam for basic shaping and Rigid-Wrap (plaster coated fabric strips available at Michaels or JoAnn's) over it for durability and structure, but you won't really be able to articulate anything. For articulating the hand, you'll probably want a structure like this guy:

Possible, but tricky. If you know someone who's good at rigging stuff like this up, go for it! It'd be so cool! Make the fingers woodend and just put some fabric over it. Sure it might not look perfect what with the rigging underneath, but no one will be paying attention to that if they move. If you're really worried about it, add a little bed along side the rigging, and then cover with fabric.

For fingernails, easy enough, I would think. Craft foam with red metallic posterboard over it or you can use RIgid-Wrap or Sculpey with a foil and wire core for durability.

Problem Five:
Back spikes? Pish posh. Make them out of craft foam or cardboard and have nude sheer fabric across your back. Attach the spikes to that and voila. You just might need clear plastic bra straps (Joann's again) to really keep your top up. If you want to try something a little more daring, make them out of something really light and glue them onto your back using Spirit Gum. Just be sure to buy Spirit Gum remover or your back will be sticky for a while.

Problem Six:
Fake thighs: SHape them out of bedfoam (seriously this stuff might be hot and totally messy, but the it's so versatile!). For poof you can buy a red or black petticoat (There's a place near the Multnomah County Library that sells petticoats. It's a vintage shop. I'll have to get the name of it, but I remember seeing a lot of poofy petticoats there) or you can try using chicken wire. Chicken wire is great for making shapes, but it runs the risk of bending (although relatively easy to reshape) and it might poke you a bit so wear junk leggings over your tights or whatever so the wire doesn't cause a run.

The stomach, tough, well, you can try a nude sheer piece of fabric in the hole of the dress, you can just cut out that part and edge it, or you can create a fake belly. That's up to you.

For simple dying solutions that might, just might, work for your outfit, you can test spraypaint to see if it looks right. Whatever you use, dye or bleach, I would put it in a spray bottle and spray the dress over a drop cloth. You can try dipping the ends of the dress of course, but that will cause a greater mess. Probably a cleaner dye, though. Test out whatever method you try first before moving on to the real thing.

These obviously aren't fool proof methods of making that crazy, crazy outfit, but hopefully it'll give you some ideas on how to go about it. Post your progress on the cosplay progress forums if you get the chance to show this off!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:35:08 pm »
o-o
Lychee, I love you xD
And those hands were exactly what I had planned. I'm gonna have fun with this, and definitely will post my progress... unless I decide to keep it under wraps OOO:

I want to keep the stilt idea though, and get good ones to be under the skirt. But that all depends on the Kumo guys, and what they say when they reply to my email n.n

Thanks so much, both of you!
KumoriCon 2012