Author Topic: RIF questions~  (Read 1387 times)

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
RIF questions~
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
(I hope this is in the right place lol)

So I have a few questions regarding RIF (rigid insulation foam).
1.) Can you paint it directly?
2.) If so what kind of paints?
3.) Does paper mache (sp?) adhere to it?

I would like to use that when making some of our props, but I don't know how it works for painting and such. I don't want to use duct tape x.x And I don't want to waste the money in trying to do everything and nothing works, you know?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: RIF questions~
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 03:57:18 am »
I don't believe you can paint it directly. Something about the paint (spray paint especially) creates an acidic effect and eats the foam.
You can counter this by paper mache effect like you said, several layers and sand them down and then gesso over that.
I think I also recally people saying if you do several layers of gesso without the mache it should be okay - though I'd test that on a spare piece first.
After the gesso's been painted and sanded and smoothed out from there (sand between every coat with a high to mid grit number) you're free to use acrlyic paints or whatever else you wish.

Gesso's pretty cheap btw. You can get a good gallon of it from several art and supply stores, not just Lowe's & Home Depot.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
Re: RIF questions~
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:19:14 pm »
I don't believe you can paint it directly. Something about the paint (spray paint especially) creates an acidic effect and eats the foam.
You can counter this by paper mache effect like you said, several layers and sand them down and then gesso over that.
I think I also recally people saying if you do several layers of gesso without the mache it should be okay - though I'd test that on a spare piece first.
After the gesso's been painted and sanded and smoothed out from there (sand between every coat with a high to mid grit number) you're free to use acrlyic paints or whatever else you wish.

Gesso's pretty cheap btw. You can get a good gallon of it from several art and supply stores, not just Lowe's & Home Depot.
hehehehe thanks~ ^^; I should just start asking you these questions directly huh :P