Author Topic: Insecurity in Cosplying  (Read 21283 times)

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
Re: Insecurity in Cosplying
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:41 pm »
There's always a bit of insecurity involved with everything I cosplay..... I want to look as accurate and nice as possible, so especially when I'm pulling a cosplay together there's always those concerns and worries floating around the back of my head.

I've seen cosplay as an opportunity to work on my self-esteem by getting feedback from the people around me, and also fills the void left by my no longer participating in theatre which was such a big part of my life. So yeah, there are moments where I feel really insecure, but I think that's just a natural reaction when you're putting so much time and energy into something, particularly when it relates mostly to your appearance.

As far as modesty level goes, I generally have a hard time with anything that shows my stomach, is REALLY skin-tight, or shows my upper thigh, which sucks because there are a few characters I'd really like to do but I'm too afraid to try because of this. Here's to hoping that as I continue to cosplay though that I'll gain more confidence in not only my costuming skills, but in myself. =]
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 09:39:20 pm »
I don't cosplay for con goers I cosplay because I absolutely LOVE the "publics" reactions. There's just something about the joy of seeing the publics  :o ??? ;D look when you walk down the street or going into diners. I'm overweight but truely, I don't care what people think, life is way too short to always be worrying. Love your body. <3
A cosplayer shouldn't feel insecure whether they're thin or overweight. It's all about having fun and because you love the character you chose. The only issue I do have is when too much skin is showing, thin or not.. If you(as in general) have rolls, please keep them covered. Choose characters that have the right amount of clothing, for example I'm overweight so I choose characters that have a lot of clothing on. I cosplay Hannah from Kuroshitsuji, she's tall, thin, and darker skin then me but you know what, her clothes are what fits me because nothing is being shown. An overweight cosplayer can look great with the right cosplay.  ;D
My hannah cosplay ;D

Thank you I know many people who don't think the same of us and it's good to hear another speak out that it truly makes me feel like I can cosplay!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:30 pm »
Ritsu-chan, go out there are just have fun with it.  If the squares in the world have a problem with your cosplay it's there problem not yours.  But if you want a fun visual that will make laugh.  This is my 3rd Kumoricon and the first time I'm going in cosplay.  Im a short fat girl and I'm cosplaying Vash the stampede a tall skinny guy and a genderbend of Wolfwood another tall skinny guy from Trigun.  I'm sure I will end up on an epic fail website but I love the characters and I'm just going to go out there and have a great time.  I'm sure your cosplay will be awesome.
You know what that makes you?! A chibi version! Chibi versions are adorable! ;D
Secrety secrets!

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:27 pm »
YES!! XD by the way, you look amazing shikyo!
Kumoricon 2012: Princess Bubblegum.. 90%.. I just need to style my wig XC

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:22 pm »
I try to build my confidence up by dying my hair fun colors or running around covered in fake tattoos! Point is to wear whatever it is enough in public to get comfy in it that way you don't have to give to shakes what anyone thinks. More power to you!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 03:54:46 pm »
As far as modesty level goes, I generally have a hard time with anything that shows my stomach, is REALLY skin-tight, or shows my upper thigh, which sucks because there are a few characters I'd really like to do but I'm too afraid to try because of this.

I'm the same way. I'm going to try to cosplay as Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3 next year and her skirt is a little too short for me. basically it all boils down to accuracy v.s. feeling comfortable. I, however, will choose to feel comfortable.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 06:24:25 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of making my skirt for yui next year a little extra long thank you :)

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 06:28:57 pm »
If you are uncomfortable in short skirts make them short skorts!  ;D
Secrety secrets!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »
I wear shorts under every skirt/dress i wear XDDD

Offline Raven

• Cabbit
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2011, 07:54:28 pm »
Recently I've decided to post some of my cosplays up on DeviantArt... and while most comments have been fairly decent ones, I did recieve two, on seperate photos, in which one guy said that my friend and I were both Fat, and another in which a guy said, and I quote (or rather copy and paste ... please excuse the language) "**** disgrace. this is ****."
While these comments did hurt me a bit, I know it was just some jerks trying to troll me ... and I will not let them discourage me!!
Possible Cosplays for Kumori Con 2012
Pirate!England, Canada, Romano, and/or Australia from Hetalia
Male Blood Elf Mage (Levi) from World of Warcraft

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 08:11:46 pm »
Wearing Lolita has made me feel naked if I don't wear bloomers under every skirt or dress I wear. XD Same with tank tops. I wear a spaghetti strap tank top under everything.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »
XD Same with tank tops. I wear a spaghetti strap tank top under everything.
ME TOO. it was a habit i picked up in like 5th grade and it's never stopped XDDD

Recently I've decided to post some of my cosplays up on DeviantArt... and while most comments have been fairly decent ones, I did recieve two, on seperate photos, in which one guy said that my friend and I were both Fat, and another in which a guy said, and I quote (or rather copy and paste ... please excuse the language) "**** disgrace. this is ****."
While these comments did hurt me a bit, I know it was just some jerks trying to troll me ... and I will not let them discourage me!!
They're just jealous of your awesome skills!!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:44 am »
Well, I'll post my story. 

I've got a problem when it comes to cosplaying: I'm black. I've got very few options if I want to be an accurate cosplayer, and most of the characters I don't like or I've never heard of them.  ....<snip>

I'd say don't worry about race / skin color. I asked my Japanese exchange students and they said that they feel that nearly all anime characters are Japanese (there are a few characters in some shows that declare that they are not Japanese, but all the rest are considered Japanese).

So, given that about 98+% of Kumoricon attendees are decidedly NOT Japanese, it means NONE of us are the "correct race" for the characters. So pick a character you like and go for it. The Japanese choose the very pale skin color for the characters because that's the color they have traditionally used in their artwork for skin color - despite the fact that it's not even close to actual skin color of the average Japanese person. It's art - they can do that. (This is likely because they want to increase the contrast between the skin color and the character's clothing, features, etc. This is also why many anime characters have non-natural hair colors - it's easier to tell which character is which)

====
As for gaining confidence in cosplaying, here are a few tips:
    * Don't start with a costume that is totally different from your usual clothing - if you normally don't wear revealing clothing, then you'll feel uncomfortable walking around in something that's just barely more than a bikini. There are even some characters that wear ordinary-looking clothing with a few "quirks" that makes them recognizable (but only by those who have seen the anime... I call that "stealth cosplay" because when you wear it outside of convention, no one notices, but when you arrive at Kumoricon, everyone addresses you by the character's name).
    * SMILE  :D   You'll be amazed how far that gets you.
    * Wear comfortable shoes - yes, your character wears 6" heels, but can YOU walk around in those all day? Probably not. Bring footwear you can walk in comfortably. You can always carry the stilettos in a bag and wear them only for photoshoots.
    * Think about what you'll be doing during the day - the chairs in all of the rooms are wool, and lots of others (some unwashed) have sat on them. Do you REALLY want to have a skirt so short that you have bare skin on the seat? (ewwwwww)
    * Remember - cosplay is just interesting / different clothing. Yes people will stare at you on the train, but I bet they're thinking "cool clothes!"
    * There will always be mean people. Ignore them. The rest of us think you look awesome.
    * If you want help improving your cosplay, ask for advice from cosplayers who have done it for a long time
    * Cosplay is supposed to be fun - it's "Costume Play"...

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:46 am »
^ This post is made of win. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:44 pm »
So...

I thought I might chime in...

I have insecurities about breathing, so it would stand to reason that everything about cosplay freaks me out.

I want to do it PERFECT which is impossible at my skill level, and I feel so insecure about performing a character when
I don't know every detail about them... I am always worried that if I finish and wear xxxxx cosplay, I'll be expected to
be an expert on the character. I'd like to get better at making Cosplays but my confidence and my skills stay low so
I only really have one cosplay... and most'd probably consider it a closet cosplay (Heather Mason SH3).

My weight has never gotten me down... I am okay with being curvy. What upsets me is how my weight is distributed,
I have this lovely little ponch belly that is the DEFINITION of that horrible ugly muffin top in lowrise pants or tight jeans.
It affects where jeans and skirts and dresses sit and fall on my hips making me look proportionally pregnant or just sloppy.

If I could just cosplay my face... I probably would, this may sound vain but I like my face and smile, I also like that my head
will fit most any wig with ease. But a cosplay is not just your head... :)

I keep working on dieting in order to give myself smoother proportions but strict food regimens have NEVER been easy
for me, cause I love food too much!

Anyone ever had good tips for sticking to a goal for body fat loss?
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:51 pm »
I love food too, it's so hard when someone sets a box of donuts down to say no.... I'm just fat all over but i'm trying to slim down, i've lost 8 lbs so far, I just lift weights, dance, do ab, but and thigh work out reps and I walk and drink tons of water!

Offline Lylandra76

• Cabbit
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:26 am »
I always feel this way, to be honest  ...
And like some of the others posting so far, it's partly to do with my body image ... I'm chubby myself, and well, I have an awkward time doing crossplays because my figure is too womanly T__T (even though I prefer doing Crossplays *does not like looking girly*)... I also worry because I'm not exactly the youngest person anymore and feel kind of old compared to so many of the other cosplayers who are still in their teens *is 27 years old* .... but I do it anyway, because I just like the characters I cosplay as and I think it's loads of fun ...
But I always wonder is people will accept me as the character I am cosplaying as ... still, I say that it's more important to do what you love, whether or not you make the best looking "whatever character you're cosplaying as" ... it's just important to have fun and love what you are doing!! ^__^
There will always be someone out there who will think you look awesome too, if that helps any!
Shussh children, try starting out at 35:o. This will be my first con and cosplay but I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter what others think as long as you have fun. I am too tired (old?) to figure out what others want me to be and make myself what they expect. Life is too short to be what others want you to be and it's not fun either. Be yourself and have fun. ;D

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:31 am »
Ha, I think it's awesome to see some one starting at 35. Some one asked me not long ago if I thought I was getting too old for cosplay (I'm 24) I stared at them for a second and then asked "Why would I ever be too old to be awesome?"

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 07:44:08 am »
^^^ That's totally where I am. XD I'm starting grad school and I'm still in to cosplay? Sweet.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 08:20:39 am »
Kids, I've been cosplaying / wearing costumes to conventions for OVER 25 years. One is NEVER too old to cosplay  :)

There are some costumers in their 70s (one I know is 76!) at Science Fiction conventions who are not only wearing awesome costumes, but also competing in the costume competition. So don't go calling yourself "old" cosplayers - We're "well-seasoned".  :P

Again, it's all in the attitude. Besides, generally speaking my costumes are far nicer looking style-wise than anything that I've ever seen in the mall or fashion magazine. I just love some of the awesome details that costume designers come up with.

Of course, older cosplayers do have to think more about ensuring that they wear comfortable shoes and supportive undergarments. But that's another conversation.  ;)

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »
My girlfriend and I plan to cosplay until we're super old!

Offline Lady Locust

• Chibi
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:49 pm »
Everyone looks good naked, so don't worry too much about what you're wearing.
I agree with what Tobias said, you're doing it because you love it. The people who usually label people as 'fat -cosplay here-' are cosplay elitists who's shallow opinions don't matter :|
Yeaaah....everything I want to say has already been said. Remember the most important part of cosplaying: Have fun making it so you can have even more fun wearing it.
Kumoricon '16 cosplays:
Smoky Quartz (Steven Universe)
Punk girl Roxy (Homestuck)

Offline Roah

• Cabbit
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
I just started cosplaying two years ago. Kumoricon was actually my first con- I did a Young Link.

It's funny, I never felt insecure about my weight until I started lurking the seagulls (sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about). Sometimes I feel insecure about my costumes 'cause I'm not much of a craftsman and even worse of a sewer, but then I remember I ultimately don't care :D Fortunately the pacific northwest is full of awesome happy people so we have a little more leniency when it comes to costumes. I've haven't been to a con yet that was full of mean people.

So uh...best thing you can do is be confident and outgoing I guess. Be nice to others and everyone will be nice to you :) and then who cares about your costume! We're all out of place in some way or another haha
Did you know balloons come from the sky? That's why they're always trying to get back.

Offline Pein_Cupcake

• Catgirl
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2011, 07:47:55 pm »
Hey there!
So I, too, have issues with my body. There is some times where I don't even want to go out because I don't feel comfortable. By the end of the cosplay outing, I usually have a blast. I think the key to confidence in cosplay is to remember, no matter what people say to you, you are still individual, invaluable, and irreplaceable. If you have fun, why would it matter what people say? It may hurt to be called weird or a freak, but I like being called those. I take pride in those names. Remember, you are all ALWAYS beautiful!
And never forget: Haters make us famous!
~Kumoricon 2012~
-Scarecrow (Batman: The Dark Knight Trilogy)
-Finn (Adventure Time)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »
So...

I thought I might chime in...

I have insecurities about breathing, so it would stand to reason that everything about cosplay freaks me out.

I want to do it PERFECT which is impossible at my skill level, and I feel so insecure about performing a character when
I don't know every detail about them... I am always worried that if I finish and wear xxxxx cosplay, I'll be expected to
be an expert on the character. .... <snip>

No human is PERFECT. That's part of what makes us human. Perfection is for Deities (gods).... so don't worry about it  :D
Trust me, you don't have to know much about the character you're cosplaying as... I usually don't remember - but others will recall and will provide the details that I'll forget about 20 minutes later.   Just wear something that you like and have fun. About all you REALLY have to know about the character is the character's name so that if someone addresses you using the character's name, you'll respond. Other than that - who cares? If you are entering your costume for Cosplay, you would likely want to know details, but if you're just wandering the halls in costume, it doesn't matter at all.   :)

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2011, 09:49:15 am »
We are approaching con! I'm so nervous and excited! Let's cosplay with confidence guys! We'll all look great!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:08 pm »
I was beginning to worry about my Heather cosplay because the skirt is short [well, to me] and my mom said the whole outfit looks really tight, which it is. BUT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE HEATHER IS BOSS.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »
I know the feeling with my x-2 Rikku. That skirt is so extremely short. There will be panty shots when I walk up stairs, but I got some great panties to show :P (its supposed to be a yellow swimsuit bottom but I couldn't find one with orange edging so I am doing it this way). The whole skirt is less than 8 inches long. x.x

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »
0.0 wow, that is short! I know i definitely won't be bending down to pick up anything or going up any stairs. I don't think I'll really have to go up any stairs cause i'm wearing Heather on Day 0. And the reason why my skirt is tight is cause i have pretty fatty thighs DX

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2011, 08:43:05 am »
I hate my fat thighs, thats mostly why I hated my amu cosplay.. Its ok nikkiole, kumoricon is kinda just like one big panty shot. Lol

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:32 am »
Pfft i know how you feel. Im 19 and 5'8" and a good 300andsomething pounds. i have a heart and kidney problem though, so dieting is not allowed for me. My dr just tells me to watch the salt and walk a little extra mile rather than take the bus to the corner. But im not super insecure about my cosplaying. I mean, yea i wont be doing any skinny characters, but when i do cosplay, its usually an anthro or like minnie mouse so that body type and  weight dont matter.  Now about the being rude or just giving critizism, i need some help there. Theres this guy that is friends with my boyfriend who always finds someway to talk bout my weight when we hang out. Hes mentioned before that he doesnt get why jack is dating me cuz hes only ever dated small short skinny girls. Im taller than  jack, and as i said, 300lbs. Then he always goes on to ask if i have ever even tried a diet. I have, and ended up almost killing myself. I tell him this and he tells me i should try leposuction. Jack says that i shouldnt worry bout what h

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:31 am »
Phone cut me off lol ok so jack says i shouldnt worry bout what he says, that thats just how he is, but in the 2 years we have been dating and the year and an half ive know his friend, i have never once heard him say anything about jacks weight. I just cant tell if he is being mean or is really trying to help. Him and i are friends so i try not to dwell on it too much and just have fun when we all hang out but last night he said something that made of want to post here. He told of that i should not cosplay lolita because of my body type. he didnt say it in a mean way but i couldnt really tell cuz we texting. What do you guys think?

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2011, 02:25:10 pm »
He told of that i should not cosplay lolita because of my body type.

I've always thought that lolita looks good on everyone!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »
Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2011, 02:45:11 pm »
I'm chubby but i have a lolita costume and i think i look great in it! Lolita isn't a character so it can be pulled off by anyone!

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »
Sounds like this guy needs to learn some effing manners and I can teach him if you like? You don't talk to a lady about her weight... Ever. Its just bad manners, straight up rude, he sounds like a prick who thinks you aren't beautiful or a good person how you are.. Thats not ok, and anyone can wear lolita, in fact lolita is meant to be cutesy and childish( loli complexes derp) so rouund faces are better, making lolita a thing only for this girls is saying that only thin girls can be cute or sexy.. BS. I'm 250 and 5'6" and I bet i'd look damn adorable! I'm sure you would to.. Screw him. You need to tell him to shut his mouth... Or you will. Leave it at that until he says somethin else.. Then make him regret it..

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »
Yea. And not to mention, hes hella skinny and hes on a diet. Which only makes things worse cuz he complains about what i eat. But thank you, lol my boyfriend says im really adorable and a lot of people tell me i act really cute.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2011, 05:49:42 pm »
I am 220 5'10 people still call me fat and it makes me feel horrible and upset...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »
I think the secret to not feeling insecure is just not caring what others think. It takes a lot of work but when in costume I find myself not caring. However, if I think about it before hand then I feel a littler insecure. But I am not going to care at all what others thinks.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »
^ That is a great mindset.

One thing that always helps me when I'm feeling insecure about my weight or whatever is i think "How does me being this way, affect that anyone's day? It doesn't. It doesn't cause them harm so why the hell should they care?"

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2011, 01:57:07 am »
such words of amazing wisdom , Nikkiolie !
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:26 am »
I was half a sleep when I wrote that so I can elaborate a little bit more. Take my Kuja for example. When I first got the costume I was freaked out that it was so skimpy and I was going to be showing a lot. I was trying so hard to lose weight and look better in the costume and I didn't end up losing any weight at all. Though I still wore the costume. When I was in costume I was having too much fun to remember that I wasn't wearing much clothes. Yes during pictures I made a mental note of sucking my stomach in, and in some pictures I forgot.

I am kinda in the same boat with rikku (x-2 not X). I am worried that I will be called fat (don't worry I know I am not fat its just the messed up views by others). I have worked out quite hard and ate really well for the past month and a half for this costume and I have seen progress. I used to have a much bigger buldge on my stomach but now its almost gone. Though no matter what I do I still look bigger than I really am in the pictures I have taken of myself. I'm not going to let that ruin my fun though. I am going to keep working out (by the way I am doing this for myself to keep in shape and what not, I could lose a few pounds and still be in the normal range) and eating right.

Another way to look at it is if you see someone cosplaying a character you like what do you do? Run up to them tell them how much you love the character and take a picture. Do you notice the weight or the craftmanship of the costume? No you are just glad someone else shares your love for the character. People at the con will be having a fun time and wont notice the things you are worried about (most of the time they are tiny details that people will only notice if pointed out). If you do run into someone that is a bit of a sour puss and insulting just brush them off. I can't even begin to explain why they do it. There are so many reasons, jelous, put others down to feel better about themselves, just like to be mean...the list goes on. Don't dwell on it. And by all means DO NOT let it ruin your con.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2011, 08:00:36 am »
We all thank you for your encouragment and advice nikkiole!