Author Topic: Cosplay "weapon" rule query  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay "weapon" rule query
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:41:58 pm »
I have a gray territory that I'm hoping someone in the know can help me clear up.

I know the pointy stuff needs to be either sheathed or fake/harmless.

But what about blunt props, like baseballl bats, tonfa, and staffs/sceptres?

Things that there won't be an "oops" incident, but in the wrong hands could still cause damage.

Further - are these items necessary to peace bond?

Appreciate the replies~
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
Re: Cosplay "weapon" rule query
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:18:24 pm »
Anything that is a weapon or can be used as a weapon needs to be peacebond. It shows that you signed the imaginary contract that you wont use the prop as a weapon at any time at the con.

If you have a specific question about a prop it would be best to email the staff.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:18 pm »
I've seen the flag poles (Hetalia) and some of the skateboards peacebonded in some cases. I've always seen baseball bats and tonfa peacebonded. Basically, if it's got the appearance from a far that it could hurt someone, or looks like a weapon, it should be peacebonded.

More gray-area items are things like boxing gloves my friend wears for one of her costumes. We ask every year if they need to be peacebonded, and since they're on a weak girl, stay on her hands and are made of primarily cotton, we're told no they don't need to be. We'd have to peacebond her arms in that case, where the lines get blurry and gray.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:34:46 am »
Anything that is a weapon or can be used as a weapon needs to be peacebond. It shows that you signed the imaginary contract that you wont use the prop as a weapon at any time at the con.

If you have a specific question about a prop it would be best to email the staff.

I understand that this is verbatim rule - it does not help. I'll refrain from hyperbole, but put simply, some things are clearly peacebonded, some things are clearly not necessary to peacebond. I understand if it was built to look like a weapon, there is no doubt, but if it is actually, or a prop of an item not originally intended for harm (but in the hands of someone determined, of harm it is capable) is it considered necessary?

Ex. Say someone brings a lyre for their Zelda cosplay - is it a weapon because of the piano wire?

I'll ask a staff member my particular question, but I was hoping more of a solid line to be drawn for me.

Is there a generally accepted "grey area items are case by case?"

More gray-area items are things like boxing gloves my friend wears for one of her costumes. We ask every year if they need to be peacebonded, and since they're on a weak girl, stay on her hands and are made of primarily cotton, we're told no they don't need to be. We'd have to peacebond her arms in that case, where the lines get blurry and gray.

For this i thank you - it's unfortunate that you feel compelled to ask about boxing gloves - as they are intended to PREVENT harm.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:27 am »
Yeah, they peace bond my gourd for Gaara, but it's not a weapon at all and if I ever used it as such, it would cause more damage to the prop than the person. Sakuracon didn't even have to....
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:10:45 am »
There's not much I can add to what veraca and nekovamp13 have said, except to point you to http://www.kumoricon.org/policies.

A baseball bat or a tonfa would have to be peacebonded, because it's a potential weapon. A staff would probably need to be peacebonded, but if you're not sure, it never hurts to ask at the peacebonding table.

If it helps, think of it this way:
  • Could it cause critical harm if used carelessly or in an accident? (I.e. sharp steel)
    Take it back to your room. Now.
  • Could it cause serious harm if used carelessly, or does it even look like something that could cause critical/serious harm if used carelessly? (I.e. a dull sword prop, or a realistic bazooka prop)
    It needs to be peacebonded.
  • Could it cause serious harm without much effort? (I.e. a skateboard)
    Gray area; ask at the peacebonding table.
  • Could it cause serious harm, but only with a great deal of effort and intent? (I.e. a lyre, or your hands)
    It doesn't need to be peacebonded.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.