Author Topic: Kumoricon 2013 Armor: Questions, Thoughts, Answers and Troubles  (Read 2988 times)

Offline DemonOfBeauty21

• Cabbit
Kumoricon 2013 Armor: Questions, Thoughts, Answers and Troubles
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:41 pm »
Hi everyone!

The convention just came to an end of the 2012 year but there's many of us that are already starting to look forward to 2013. I'm working on armor for the first time and I decided to start with Halo armor (Tex from red vs blue) for those of you that know of it.
I thought that I would start a forum tackling this monster of a project as well as having a discussion area for others that are working on armor as well no matter what the end cosplay results in. I will also be helping my friend with some Gears of War armor as well as some possible Skyrim armor meaning there will be lots of different styles and mediums used.
Good luck and I hope this gets to a great start!

Offline Davence

• Cabbit
Re: Kumoricon 2013 Armor: Questions, Thoughts, Answers and Troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:28:34 pm »
Awesome i also have a blog detailing some of what i did to create my dragonscion cosplay at this location ---->http://davence-armor-chronicals.blogspot.com/  I also accept commissions.

Offline artamisalbrya

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
For those of you who either know me or have seen my work. You know that I've worked with a lot of different things both with leather and Thermoplastics (example: Wonderflex). I'll be working on a new cosplay this winter as I get ready for Sakuracon and I'll be working with some new Thermoplastics and leathers. If any of you have questions that need to be answered I'll do my best to answer them for you and help you explore the making of armor.
I've also done some work with Scalemaile. So I can do my best to give you a tutorial on how that is done. Remember, we're artists and we have to do our best to share our craft with the world! I personally don't hold any of my techniques to the chest and I'm always willing to share what I know!

Offline DemonOfBeauty21

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:57:31 am »
That reminds me Mike. Logan might be doing some chainmail work this year for Skyrim stuff. If he does do you mind coming over and giving him a little one on one rundown on how to go about doing that? Also I'll have you take a good laugh at my halo armor and how much it freaking sucks. XD

Offline artamisalbrya

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:47:27 pm »
Haha! Can't be that bad! But yeah! I'll show him how to do some simple 4in1 chain mail!

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:06:57 am »
Nothing beats the real metal, but it sure is a pain in the butt getting what I need for my "secret" cosplay. Needless to say it will not happen any time soon, but if I ever get the money and resources to finish it, it will be awesome.

In general though, I am somewhat a fan of craft foam armour. It is surprising how realistic craft foam and EVA foam can be when done right.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:35:18 am »
For those of you who either know me or have seen my work. You know that I've worked with a lot of different things both with leather and Thermoplastics (example: Wonderflex). I'll be working on a new cosplay this winter as I get ready for Sakuracon and I'll be working with some new Thermoplastics and leathers. If any of you have questions that need to be answered I'll do my best to answer them for you and help you explore the making of armor.
I've also done some work with Scalemaile. So I can do my best to give you a tutorial on how that is done. Remember, we're artists and we have to do our best to share our craft with the world! I personally don't hold any of my techniques to the chest and I'm always willing to share what I know!
Where do you buy your Wonderflex? I've mostly stuck with EVA foam, craft foam, and insulation foam because I can find it all locally, but I've only ever been able to find Wonderflex online.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline artamisalbrya

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:35:43 pm »
Where do you buy your Wonderflex? I've mostly stuck with EVA foam, craft foam, and insulation foam because I can find it all locally, but I've only ever been able to find Wonderflex online.

http://www.dazian.com/html/wonderflex.html TADA!!! WONDERFLEX!!! This is some wonderful stuff! I'll tell you a bit about using it from my experience!
Wonderflex is what is called a Thermoplastic. That means its heat activated! So if you have a hot air gun or don't mind blowing out your hair dryer, you can work with this stuff with little problems! However, there are some up and down sides to using this material.
1. There are two sides to the material. There is the top and bottom. The top is smooth and often times what you'll actually want showing for your armor. The bottom portion of this material is made with a "Grid" This grid is like fabric and gives it some form of rigidity. This is what'll be on the inside of your armor. The bottom part of the armor is what sticks to itself when you heat it. Both sides will do this effectively, but for what we're using it for you'll want to use the "Grid" for the bottom.
2. Because of the "Grid" Shape, its difficult to create a perfect bowl shape as this particular thermoplastic only effectively bends two directions. I discovered this issue when I was building my last armor and i needed a perfect bowl shape for my elbow cup. It took some work and A LOT of help, but it can be done. If your considering very round armor, this material might not be your best bet.
However, for its downsides Wonderflex is a GREAT thermoplastic for the novice armor crafter. It lets you experiment and even use very little waste. Everything can be re-used with enough heat! If you use the "sandwich" technique than you can make just about anything!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YElXK-_uIAg You can follow this video tutorial about the wonderflex to show you how to work with it!

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:31 pm »
For those that like wonderflex you should also try using Fosshape.  I think it is made by the same folks that make wonderflex.  This stuff is like a thick felt that can be sewed together then with heat applied works just like wonderflex and turns ridgid.  If anyone saw the Excalibur from soul eater this year I know the guy that made the head piece for the girl that was wearing it.  He used Fosshape.

Also if you are making Halo armor you can always try your hand at using Pepakura files which are 3d renderings that can be scaled up and printed out.  Then using fiberglass and resin you can make hard and paint.  Look up The Hero Tutorials on you tube and he shows a step by step process how he made an Iron Man suit using Pepakura files.  Cool stuff.  I've seen halo files for Pepakura in the past.  They are out there but since the government shut down file sharing sights they are harder to find.  I love red tape.

This year I'm making a couple suits of armor.  A Princess Zelda and a Deunan Knute from Appleseed tactical suit.  Should be a fun winter.

Offline ironavenger

• Sailor Scout
    • Assembled Impersonations
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:02:02 am »

Foam yields great results!

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:46 pm »
I'm a metal guy myself but (and this is prolly already covered somewhere) cardboard is your best friend for more permanent works when you plan to make your cosplay out of metal. It's free (most of the time) malleable and can give you a good idea where those inconvenient little pinch zones on your armor are. I'll prolly be making up my new Chouji armor from steel in the next couple years. The last one was made of road sign aluminum and cost about 80 dollars for the entire project making it myself (Not including that you'd need a shop set up for it) and was all bent into place by hand.

Also, mind what you wear under the armor. My Chouji shirt has been TORN up the last couple cons just because Linen isn't good enough to stand up to having metal worn atop it.

I like the EVA foam ideas, personally, but I like permanence versus flare.
Cosplay Progress:
Akimichi Chouji: 90%
Big Macintosh: 20%

Offline hawk222

• Chibi
    • Hawk222's tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:37:31 pm »
Is this a good place to ask for help in creating an Amon cosplay? (Please keep in mind that my "crafting" skills are extremely poor.)