Author Topic: The "What's the best way to make/use/fix this? thread.  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Raccon-Faced_Keruri

• Sailor Scout
The "What's the best way to make/use/fix this? thread.
« on: September 24, 2006, 05:01:50 pm »
I didn't see this thread somewhere else, so pardon me if one is already made, but this is a thread for people who want to make an accessory, or costume part, or whatever for their cosplaying, but don't have a good idea how. I shall begin!

Any suggestions on how to make a relatively painless rose whip? (For Kurama, from Yu Yu Hakusho.)

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 05:30:03 pm »
your bogarting my idea of a thread or section for props, and i was saying there whsould be a patern and refrence image archive too.

and show a picture of thr rose whip
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 05:46:05 pm »
The rose whip is basically a green whip with thrrns coming out of it, lyke, everywhere. And a green grip... (sorry, ^^'' best pics I could get ahold of...)
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/128211
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/33725

--

Can someone tell me what to use for an ANBU mask? I'm not really sure what to make it out of, or even how to sculpt it.. so... any help would be appreciated!! (yes, I'm an uber n00b at this...)

Images;
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/133900

--

Oh, and... uh... Keruri? I have an Itachi here who's gonna glomp you so hard at the con XP

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »
I'd start looking around in the halloween stores for a whip... just as a base y'know? Then you can paint it green, add spikes, whatever you like... and whips during this time of year aren't too hard to find...
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 06:41:34 pm »
id say paper mache or this stuff called "fossshape" that they sell on cosworx.

its like wonderflex on super thin.  then you could do a covering of paper mache over that to make it smooth (cause sanding paper mache works really well. expecially if it has toilet paper in there too)

you would probably need either another mask or like...a wig head to shape it on though.  or do a plaster casting of your own face for fit.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:42:53 pm »
Quote from: "Hazuza"
Can someone tell me what to use for an ANBU mask? I'm not really sure what to make it out of, or even how to sculpt it.. so... any help would be appreciated!! (yes, I'm an uber n00b at this...)

Images;
Paper Mache on a balloon.

I believe starch and newspaper are what Sensei had us use for our Daruma last year...

Starch for the glue, newspaper for the actual body of it.
Don't soak the newspaper too much, it'll tear.
And the newspaper should be in thin strips that you can maneuver well.
A better tutorial than what I could do
You can cut out the eyeholes later, or just don't put newspaper there.  

It's really easy.  Hope I helped.  =3
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 08:23:20 pm »
Thanks alot koutomi ^^. (kinda forgot how to make paper mache)

And since I probably won't be /wearing/ it, a balloon would work since I don't need an exact fit... so... uhm... yeah...  (no clue how to compliment people, either)

aaanyway...

I'm just gonna stalkthis thread to see how I can help, too :3

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 08:31:54 pm »
Thanks alot koutomi ^^. (kinda forgot how to make paper mache)

And since I probably won't be /wearing/ it, a balloon would work since I don't need an exact fit... so... uhm... yeah...  (no clue how to compliment people, either)

aaanyway...

I'm just gonna stalkthis thread to see how I can help, too :3
You're welcome.  ^^
All I know is that I can use paper mache for a lot of things, and even though it's messy, I love it to bits.  xD
I mean, who knew that paper could turn out that strong when soaked in starch?  xD

I'm stalking it already.  =x //ninjas around
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline Fevenis

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 04:46:52 pm »

Images;

--

Oh, and... uh... Keruri? I have an Itachi here who's gonna glomp you so hard at the con XP

I am totally using paper mache to make mine. I already attempted once, but my art skills are kind of lacking... Though if you have the hands for art, I'd recommend it.

This is the first how to I found on good for paper mache: http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/papermache/a/051500pm.htm

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:19:50 pm »
Quote from: "makichan"
I'd start looking around in the halloween stores for a whip... just as a base y'know? Then you can paint it green, add spikes, whatever you like... and whips during this time of year aren't too hard to find...
Sparticus has whips among other various leather goods in the back room. Ignore the inapropriate objects in there. I don't know this stuff. Shhh. >.>

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:43:23 pm »
Quote from: "The Night Bringer"
Sparticus has whips among other various leather goods in the back room. Ignore the inapropriate objects in there. I don't know this stuff. Shhh. >.>

mmmhhhhhhmmm yeah, sure :roll:

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:13:15 pm »
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread, but it seems to follow the main theme of my question, so here it is:

Does anyone have/know of a site with patterns to sew together a gothic lolita cosplay?  

An English site, please.  Everyone keeps directing me to Japanese web sites, and, to be honest, my Japanese is not that good.  Or, at least, my kanji is not that good.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 07:17:45 am »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread, but it seems to follow the main theme of my question, so here it is:

Does anyone have/know of a site with patterns to sew together a gothic lolita cosplay?  

An English site, please.  Everyone keeps directing me to Japanese web sites, and, to be honest, my Japanese is not that good.  Or, at least, my kanji is not that good.

Well, what a friend of mine is doing for her Gothic Lolita cosplay is getting patterns to different parts of the costume, and the piecing it together. She's bought the corset pattern and the skirt pattern I believe. Hancock Fabric rocks!

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 09:15:57 am »
Do you know what patterns she's using, or who they're by?  I've noticed some decent patterns, but I'm not sure of the quality of the patterns themselves.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 09:38:53 am »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"
Do you know what patterns she's using, or who they're by?  I've noticed some decent patterns, but I'm not sure of the quality of the patterns themselves.

If you go to a regular sewing store look in the costume catalog books in the back corner.  You might find something close if they have costumes for women dressed as dolls or little girls.  Dont look or ask about Gothic Lolita look for Victorian style girl cloths.  They will at least have have patterns for dolls and toddlers then upsize.  And curse (doh I ment  cruse) goodwill and SVDP this is the best time of the year for that.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 09:43:40 am »

mmmhhhhhhmmm yeah, sure :roll:

I have had several peaple tell me I need to go look in Sparticus because I can make the same stuff but better (any one who PM's about this stuff I do work with Discression IE I wont tell).

If Not a whip (Cause it's a spendy $20 to $100 experiment) try a girls jump rope with the wooden handles.

Von "Gonna go play with the whips 'someone" left for repair" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 09:36:34 pm »
I need to know where I can find a wig for my sister. She'll be cosplaying Izumi from FMA and I need a longish wig styled in cornrows or something similar.

Kind of refence pic for her:

Don't be fooled by the cuteness! She's around 5'9" and kicks the crap out of black belts at TKD competitions. And underaged.
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 10:06:14 pm »
I love the 'and underaged' comment on the end there, that was hillarious.  :wink:

Try going to a local costume/halloween shop/store and picking up a regular black wig.  At this time of year, finding one shouldn't be too difficult.

You can try dreadlocking the wig yourself, that should be easiest as there aren't many dreadlock wigs out there that I know of for a decent price, or you can just do a TON of tiny little braids.  Either way, you should get the desired effect.

Check Value Village first.  They usually carry a pretty decent costume selection, and they usually have pretty cheap, and pretty decent wigs.

Note for your sister: when she wears the wig, as her hair is obviously a lot lighter than Izumi's, she should tie it back, and wear a nylon stocking cap over it.  This will prevernt nasty light hairs sticking out from underneath the wig while she is wearing it.  :wink:

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 10:44:22 pm »

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 09:30:55 pm »
Woot! Thanks Maki! I got it and she loves it. So far. XD YAY!!!
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 09:44:41 pm »
*~YATTA~* Glad to help whenever I can xD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 02:35:18 am »
When ever I hear Yatta I think of those Green Leaf guys, you know, the ones that are kinda like the Japanese Village people.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 08:13:22 pm »
When ever I hear Yatta I think of those Green Leaf guys, you know, the ones that are kinda like the Japanese Village people.

man, I <3 those guys xD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 11:25:34 am »
Haha, yeah, they are great. But that Yatta song never leaves your head. :shock:

Offline ~gaara-Kun~

• Cabbit
Re: The "What's the best way to make/use/fix this? thre
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 12:42:07 pm »
Quote from: "Raccon-Faced_Keruri"
I didn't see this thread somewhere else, so pardon me if one is already made, but this is a thread for people who want to make an accessory, or costume part, or whatever for their cosplaying, but don't have a good idea how. I shall begin!

Any suggestions on how to make a relatively painless rose whip? (For Kurama, from Yu Yu Hakusho.)

Kelly, are you going as Youko too or just Kurama?

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 01:21:42 am »
I took a while debating on to post this here, or in a new topic, but I guess it classifies as an 'or whatever', so...

Is there any way I can get a brown-ish shade of hair to a pink or pink/brownish shade? I know there's the long process of bleaching, etc, etc, but I was just wondering if there was maybe... a hair spray or something..? Even if I still have brown left in my hair, it would only make it more realistic ^^

Maybe to make it.. uh... somewhat like Kairi's from Kingdom Hearts, but a bit lighter, if possible?

(and, I know that getting a wig would be best, but I can't get ahold of wigs for some reason .-. ... and my hair's already the perfect style, so... ._.)

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 02:19:13 am »
Their is a hairspray that colors your hair, but it will make your hair very stiff. Also depending on the brand it will barely show up at all or make your hair a vibrant radioactive pink. You could try dyeing your hair pink multiple times. Im not 100% on whether or not that would work or not but its worth a shot. If it makes you feel any better, the only option for me is bleach or a wig. Can't do anything with black hair.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 05:29:41 pm »
Well, I have a lot of time to try it out and see how it works on me... Can you reccomend me a brand?

(And I'm not really looking for something vibrant...  It's hard to explain what it looks like, really o3o)

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 05:52:45 pm »
I wish I could, I usualy just see these things around halloween or novelty shops. But I'll tell you what, I will keep an eye out on the net and let you know if I find anything.