Author Topic: Lovecraft film I publicize just won "Best Horror Film!"  (Read 4544 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Lovecraft film I publicize just won "Best Horror Film!"
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:46:30 pm »
Here's today's big news from my life! The film for which I'm listed in IMDB as Publicist just won another award! "Pickman's Muse" is a full feature-length Lovecraft fan film, a labor of love for producer/director/writer Robert Cappalletto from Chicago. It's his own adaptation that merges H. P. Lovecraft's "Haunter of the Dark" and "Pickman's Model" into compelling psychological and supernatural horror. I write a lot of his publicity copy, synopses, etc.; was the person entrusted to define the final film edits; composed the Spanish subtitles for the DV and found the German translator; screen the film at Orycon (Saturday, 5pm, at Creation Station); and am the one empowered to give out the DVDs thereof for any potential screenings or reviews on the West coast and in the convention circuit. This week, we picked up our *fourth* award! Best Horror Film at the Illinois International Film Festival. Prior awards included a Best Adaptation from Portland's H.P. Lovecraft Film Fest (2009) and Best Actor (Barrett Walz) and Best Director (Robert Cappalletto) at the Chicago Horror Film Festival (2009). Our next gig is the Drunken Zombie Film Fest. Wish us luck! :) Oh, and if you can arrange a screening or a high-profile review, let me know! I also work promotion for another great Lovecraft-inspired psychological/supernatural horror film, "House of Black Wings", by David Schmidt (showing at Orycon's Creation Station, Saturday, 6:30pm).
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Lovecraft film I publicize just won "Best Horror Film!"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »
Good for you! Congrats! Sounds like an interesting film, too. O:

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »
Both the films I'm screening at Orycon are really worth the time. Did you find out if you can make it to con? Even if you aren't attending, if you happen to be around the neighborhood of the Lloyd Center, text me & if I'm free I'll hop out to say hi. Hey! Here's an idea. Does your campus have a club like your Clark Anime Club that shows horror films? If so it would be fun to screen them at Clark, especially if someone could also review them for your school paper.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »
That's awesome, Ellen!

I think the most likely club to do that would be Clark Productions, but they usually show their own stuff from what I understand.  I talk with their President on a regular basis, because he's also the President of the Realm Runners, our gaming club.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
That's awesome, Ellen!

I think the most likely club to do that would be Clark Productions, but they usually show their own stuff from what I understand.  I talk with their President on a regular basis, because he's also the President of the Realm Runners, our gaming club.
Thanks, hon!
Hey, it would be sweet if you wouldn't mind to run the idea past their head, see if he'd be interested. Feel free to give him my contact info.

Offline RokusasuKun

• Cabbit
    • Tumblah~
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:12 pm »
...as soon as I read 'H.P Lovecraft' I got really interested :D

Congrats! That all sounds extremely amazing~
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:14:36 pm by RokusasuKun »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:22:42 pm »

:) Thanks! Have you been to the H. P. L. Film Fest in Portland? This was the first year I went (albeit only briefly). I was going to be there for our film screening last year, but I was stranded in Bend by a snowstorm at the time!
My favorite part of this year's fest was actually the live readings of newly published fanfic (well, they might call it original fic, inspired by Lovecraft).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:23:39 am »
That's awesome, Ellen!

Thanks, hon!
Hey, it would be sweet if you wouldn't mind to run the idea past their head, see if he'd be interested. Feel free to give him my contact info.

You betcha!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RokusasuKun

• Cabbit
    • Tumblah~
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »

:) Thanks! Have you been to the H. P. L. Film Fest in Portland? This was the first year I went (albeit only briefly). I was going to be there for our film screening last year, but I was stranded in Bend by a snowstorm at the time!
My favorite part of this year's fest was actually the live readings of newly published fanfic (well, they might call it original fic, inspired by Lovecraft).

I had no idea there was a film festival! That sounds so cool~ <3

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:32:00 pm »
@ W_O:  :)
@ Roku... Sadly, you may have missed the last local one for awhile. The organizer is moving across the country. He's been looking for others to pick it up....If I hear anything, I'll let you know.
It's the first weekend of October.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:05:51 pm »
Woof, I just read the imdb site, and now I think Rem has to cosplay Sakura and go with her Klowden cards! arggth. lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:19 pm »
If only I had a cute, sweet Tomoyo-chan to make me a battle outfit!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 07:55:37 pm »
Mrs. Wuntvor said no?

I think there's enough time between now and Labor day to get one done. Maybe.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »
Mrs. Wuntvor said no?

I think there's enough time between now and Labor day to get one done. Maybe.
I haven't asked yet! :D
Actually I always thought it would be fun to cosplay when Sakura crossplays Prince Charming.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:16 pm »
I just happened to stroll upon this, but I actually may know a theater for it :D

Save Caprica!!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 12:39:07 pm »
I just happened to stroll upon this, but I actually may know a theater for it :D
WOW! Awesome! Where?
Here is my #.....(541) 606-0318. Call/text or PM me :D (Or post here.)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 09:14:06 am »
No one at my work knows who Lovecraft is. :(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:00:20 pm »
There is actually a new club of some sort that just opened up in Portland called The Lovecraft.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 09:05:54 pm »
I haven't read any of his actual works, does he write as well as say Bram Stoker? Meaning better than H.G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs. I don't really have many authors I enjoy reading from the late Victorian and Edwardian eras.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 10:59:08 am »
Creepy and evocative, but a product of his time in terms of some antiquated views on race & gender.

Honestly I am much more a fan of those in the modern era who were inspired by him than by HPL himself.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 07:19:51 pm »
How about H. L. Mencken? Famous, almost from the film Ghostbusters.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:26 am »
Hah.