Author Topic: Haunted by the Con?  (Read 7939 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Haunted by the Con?
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:25:46 pm »
Not so much that it's always on your mind, I know a LOT of us are that way.

What I mean is, about three times this week I've seen somebody go by at work or in the store and I thought they were someone from the convention. Not just a cosplayer but someone I actually KNOW from the con. I'm posting now because I thought I saw Dustin walk up and talk to the person in the cubicle next to me.

It's weird that this is happening so long after the convention, but it's one of the reasons I'm out of hibernation now.

Has this happened to anyone else recently?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:05:15 pm »
Well, someone came to anime club whom I thought I'd seen at the con, but it turned out I'd never met her. Perhaps I was just being presumptuous? ;)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:51:08 pm »
Yes actually. o_o;

I was at Clackamus (sp?) Town Center with one of my friends and I pull out my cellphone to see that I missed a call from Fudokage. I was really surprised since I haven't heard from him since the con. So I'm all, "Wow, that's weird. I'll just call him back when I get home." However when I walked out of the store I was in and around a corner there he was with his friend Connor. O_O I did a double take before going up to them and freaking out. XD Turns out he called me because he saw someone at the mall that looked like me.

Funny.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Raccon-Faced_Keruri

• Sailor Scout
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:49:23 pm »
I'm not so much haunted by the con, but I ponder often what will be popular to cosplay by September. My friends and I are doing a Yu Yu Hakusho group, but I don't know how many people will think it's still cool.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:47:03 pm »
Yeah I'll occasionally see people that remind me of someone. In fact.. now that I think about it.. the girl I was just thinking of.. looked kind of like one of the Chi cosplayers.

http://www.dunpeal.net/gallery/v/k-con-2006-079-_Large_.jpg.html

I think she kind of looked like that. I was tempted to ask her if I knew her from somewhere but I think she was like 17 and that would be kind of weird.

(Are image tags non-working at the moment?)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 11:21:44 am »
Wow, this thread has been rather education for me.  I was kind of curious how people related in social groups to con and anime related activities, since I'm not sure how social affiliations work in this subculture.  

I'm not surprised to discover that most people tend to attend cons in groups, but what I'm less clear about is if these groups are pre-existing peer groups formed in schools and colleges or if they are formed ad-hoc at the con itself.    I noticed that the size of the group was inversely proportional to the age of the attendees, with the youngest moving in large packs.  What I wonder is how do these groups form?  Are they organized via the internet, or do school kids spread the word about these events through common interest groups in school?  

Another question regarding older fans: how do your groups form?  Apparently many universities and community colleges have clubs which attract groups of members, but what of the professionals who are many years out of college and grad school?  Here, I would assume the internet is the dominant force in social networking.  

What are your thoughts?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 12:16:34 pm »
i've had the dream where your at the con and none of your costumes are done agg whatda doo!!!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 12:23:19 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
I'm not surprised to discover that most people tend to attend cons in groups, but what I'm less clear about is if these groups are pre-existing peer groups formed in schools and colleges or if they are formed ad-hoc at the con itself.    I noticed that the size of the group was inversely proportional to the age of the attendees, with the youngest moving in large packs.  What I wonder is how do these groups form?  Are they organized via the internet, or do school kids spread the word about these events through common interest groups in school?

Well, for me at my first con (Kcon 2005) I went by myself, met some people on Sunday, hung out with them all day. Fast forward to Sakura-con 2006, a couple of the people I met at Kcon 2005 were there so I hung out with them for quite a bit, but most of my time spent was with people I met at the Sakura-con forums meet up (dinner) on Thursday before the con. Then fast forward to Kcon 2006, since I was yojimbo, all my time was spent hanging out with all those guys/the rest of staff..which would be another at con thing :P

So for me (21) it is obviously a combination of both, people I meet at con and online.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:26:26 pm »
I'm in the middle (i'm 27 for another month, and I know we have enough old schoolers here to move me into the middle) and I'm glad that my thread is helpful to you PIE3!(I like your little acronym there)

I went to the first kumoricon with my friends that I met playing RPGs. All the rest have been with those same friends, my girlfriend, and my current gaming friends. Also, I founded Pocky Club online and I spend a lot of the convention hanging out with those people.

I think one of the reasons older con-goers are on their own is because most of their friends aren't that into anime anymore, their more self confidant, they are only there "checking things out a little", OR they're the one guardian for a minivan full of younger con-goers.

I see that last one the most.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 04:50:21 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
I'm in the middle (i'm 27 for another month, and I know we have enough old schoolers here to move me into the middle) and

Tom, I'm less than two years older than you, but then I've also been interested in anime for less than two years.

I think one of the reasons older con-goers are on their own is because most of their friends aren't that into anime anymore, their more self confidant, they are only there "checking things out a little".

What else is there to do there besides "check things out"?  My main reason for going was to see all the cosplayers, which I found totally awesome.  I'd kind of hoped to meet some more fanboys my age, so that if I wanted to grab a beer after work and talk about anime, I could do that, but that didn't work out.  I know y'all were there, but with so many children around, you guys were difficult to spot.  

Apparently I'm unique in that none of my friends are anime geeks and never were.  Nor was I until about summer '05.  I have tons of interests I share with my friends, but this isn't one of them. Also, I tend to aschew most of the other typical activites favored by the otaku set.  I dislike RPG's  (I was forced to try this stuff in middleschool and hated it), I have no desire to learn Japanese, and video games do nothing for me.

What else did people do, besides check stuff out?  Really, I'm curious.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:21:38 pm »
I'm in the middle (i'm 27 for another month, and I know we have enough old schoolers here to move me into the middle) and

Tom, I'm less than two years older than you, but then I've also been interested in anime for less than two years.

I think one of the reasons older con-goers are on their own is because most of their friends aren't that into anime anymore, their more self confidant, they are only there "checking things out a little".

What else is there to do there besides "check things out"?  My main reason for going was to see all the cosplayers, which I found totally awesome.  I'd kind of hoped to meet some more fanboys my age, so that if I wanted to grab a beer after work and talk about anime, I could do that, but that didn't work out.  I know y'all were there, but with so many children around, you guys were difficult to spot.  

Apparently I'm unique in that none of my friends are anime geeks and never were.  Nor was I until about summer '05.  I have tons of interests I share with my friends, but this isn't one of them. Also, I tend to aschew most of the other typical activites favored by the otaku set.  I dislike RPG's  (I was forced to try this stuff in middleschool and hated it), I have no desire to learn Japanese, and video games do nothing for me.

edit: where'd my post go!?!?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Pixie Stix

• Cabbit
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 07:16:07 pm »
Quote from: "Shadow"
Yes actually. o_o;

I was at Clackamus (sp?) Town Center with one of my friends and I pull out my cellphone to see that I missed a call from Fudokage. I was really surprised since I haven't heard from him since the con. So I'm all, "Wow, that's weird. I'll just call him back when I get home." However when I walked out of the store I was in and around a corner there he was with his friend Connor. O_O I did a double take before going up to them and freaking out. XD Turns out he called me because he saw someone at the mall that looked like me.

Funny.

I was actually there that day. :3 I know that story and before that happened I was just talking with him and Connor in one of the bookstores.

--

Well when I was at the Lloyd center about a week ago. I was in the Suncoast when I thought I saw my friend Lucas (Fudokage) about to exit the store. I ran after him and when I made it out the store he was just GONE. When I got home I asked him if he was at the Lloyd Center, and apparently not. O.o;
Kumo 08: Warp/Kaiba from Kaiba

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »
is the connor you're talking about happen to be the one who cosplayed cid? if so ... dude i saw him at the mall too! x__x it was funny because i recognized him but i could tell he wasn't sure it was me...

does anyone live in the clackamas area? i actually live VERY close (i go to clackamas high) ... i think we should have a little cosplay get together day.

at last year's con, i went with someone i knew (my friends couldn't make it), so i was basically alone most of the time. being lost. [shrug]
i waited 3 hours in the prereg line by myself, i think that sucked the most. XD but oh well.

Offline Pixie Stix

• Cabbit
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 09:58:16 pm »
Yes Connor is the Cid with the mop. (Flatline)

Wow..was that on the same day as all of us? I never knew there'd be so many cosplayers at the Clackamas mall all at once. :3

I was happy I could finally see Lucas since I didn't see him at Kumoricon.
Kumo 08: Warp/Kaiba from Kaiba

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 11:56:33 pm »

It kind of depends on what you consider "checking stuff out." Going to panels, main events, dealers room, photoshoots, taking pictures of cosplayers, that sort of stuff? If so, that's what a con is (to me, I don't normally go to the game rooms) :P

Quote from: "totemo_oishii"
does anyone live in the clackamas area? i actually live VERY close (i go to clackamas high) ... i think we should have a little cosplay get together day.

To be totally off the topic, yeah, I live right next to the mall. Like a block and a half away.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:48:50 am »
About groups, I joined Pocky Club my first convention and I have met soooo many people from it... I probably would not know two thirds of the people I know now if it had not been for Tom's idea. :D yaay. pawky clubuu. There are a group of key members in Pocky Club (Tom, Vallie, Princess, Jaz, just to name a few) and members that have stopped (kurimomo hahaha. XD) and people that do it only for one year and such. I feel really close to everyone in Pocky Club because we hang out so much at the con and at our meetings... (Plus I think walking around searching for ONE particular cat girl amoungst EVERYONE in the entire con can make you bond pretty easily.)

I also have met people online and meetup with them, or just talked to them in line (Lucas, hahaha, everyone knows Lucas and Connor, i sweaaarrr. XD). I think a big part about making con friends is to stay in touch. And I think you have to be outgoing at cons too. :D I mean, cons are a good place to check out all the cool cosplay and buy swag and learn new things at panels, but I think it's also a place to meet alot of really cool people.

(oh noo. xD my message was sent to helll. xD)

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 03:44:45 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
About groups, I joined Pocky Club my first convention and I have met soooo many people from it...

As a nearly-30 professional, I have kind of a hard time with the idea of a snack food themed "club."  What I'd like to find is a few folks who would like to meet at the neighborhood pub, have a beer, and talk about how the show they just finished watching was teh kewl.  Last month's meetup was a good start, and I'd like to see more of those happen.  

I also have met people online and meetup with them, or just talked to them in line (Lucas, hahaha, everyone knows Lucas and Connor, i sweaaarrr. XD). I think a big part about making con friends is to stay in touch. And I think you have to be outgoing at cons too. :D I mean, cons are a good place to check out all the cool cosplay and buy swag and learn new things at panels, but I think it's also a place to meet alot of really cool people.

Well, my main reason for going to Kumoricon was to learn more about stuff that I like via pannel discussions, q&a with industry celebrities (eg Tiffany Grant, etc.), buy stuff, and see and photograph all the cosplay stuff.  I found the latter to be really enjoyable eye candy, although I felt that there was an implied lecherousness involved in photographing attractive women in costume.  This seemed somewhat awkward, especially given the average age at the con.  Squick!

I'd like to have met some people, but, as I said before, most of the attendees appeared to be children.  None the less, I have no real complaints, as watching anime, is by nature a solitary activity, like reading a novel.  I really thought the purpose of a con was for fans to meet the artists, like at comicon.  Were anime cons like that once, and subsequently morphed into something else?

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 03:56:21 pm »
Yeah Like he said I'm haunted by the fact i was at an event with 1000 nerdy girls and they were all to young.   No one listened to me and brought an aunt.  Next year every one should bring an aunt and I'll try to build a time machine and kidnap my 16 YO self  to bring to the con.

I went ot the con because I like anime I like costumes and there are no cons of any kind in my town.  And I was tricked into teaching a class that in the last few days turned into manning the repair station too.

Von "I'm the fat lady in the movies who goes to the store and all they have are size 5 shoes" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 11:28:39 am »
same with me and pocky club yay friends !!!
peeps to hang out with and share pocky
plus when baka zoku came to town i was gonna go even before it because a pocky club event and thats how i met kb aka chris and it back very inportant to me plus he gives me rides to pocky event and meetings so i've been able to go to a lot more and he's met and made friends with pocky club and oh lets see our year aniversry is this weekend!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 02:57:53 pm »
About groups, I joined Pocky Club my first convention and I have met soooo many people from it...

As a nearly-30 professional, I have kind of a hard time with the idea of a snack food themed "club."  What I'd like to find is a few folks who would like to meet at the neighborhood pub, have a beer, and talk about how the show they just finished watching was teh kewl.  Last month's meetup was a good start, and I'd like to see more of those happen.  

Well, my main reason for going to Kumoricon was to learn more about stuff that I like via pannel discussions, q&a with industry celebrities (eg Tiffany Grant, etc.), buy stuff, and see and photograph all the cosplay stuff.  I found the latter to be really enjoyable eye candy, although I felt that there was an implied lecherousness involved in photographing attractive women in costume.  This seemed somewhat awkward, especially given the average age at the con.  Squick!

I'd like to have met some people, but, as I said before, most of the attendees appeared to be children.  None the less, I have no real complaints, as watching anime, is by nature a solitary activity, like reading a novel.  I really thought the purpose of a con was for fans to meet the artists, like at comicon.  Were anime cons like that once, and subsequently morphed into something else?

Oh, Pocky club isn't just a bunch of people at the con saying "omg pokcy iz liek so oishii u gaiss" We're a delivery service, and we deliver free pocky to people at the cons by their favorite cosplayed-character. :) I'm sure you can find someone to hangout with at the con and talk about anime in a slightly more sophisticated manner.

I wouldn't know the history. I do know, that my first con, I was there for the things to buy and the events, but I think as you keep going, you end up hanging out with people more.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 03:16:54 pm »
"omg pokcy iz liek so oishii u gaiss" ....
 I'm sure you can find someone to hangout with at the con and talk about anime in a slightly more sophisticated manner.

Heh.  Although I refuse to use txt-speak on internet forums, I do enjoy occasionally enjoy sprinkling phrases such as lol and omg into spoken conversation!

And btw, oishii = delicious, right?  I just figured this out while watching Ouran last weekend, and I connected it with totemo oishii's username.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 03:38:52 pm »
 I'm sure you can find someone to hangout with at the con and talk about anime in a slightly more sophisticated manner.

Heh.  Although I refuse to use txt-speak on internet forums, I do enjoy occasionally enjoy sprinkling phrases such as lol and omg into spoken conversation!

And btw, oishii = delicious, right?  I just figured this out while watching Ouran last weekend, and I connected it with totemo oishii's username.

You can hang out with me at the repair station and have tea and Cup O Noodles.  We can talk about Costumes and wait for the perfect Aunt/College age niece team to walk into the room.  Then we can fool them into a double date at Taco Bell and see if they want to play D&D.
Field Marshall Von Dan

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 03:47:14 pm »
Uh, that sounds pretty hellish.  Particularly the cup-o-noodle and D&D part! Also, have you visited otakubooty.com?  Maybe you'll find your hook up there.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 04:05:42 pm »
Uh, that sounds pretty hellish.  Particularly the cup-o-noodle and D&D part! Also, have you visited otakubooty.com?  Maybe you'll find your hook up there.

Don't like cup-o-noodle and D&D

NERD POSER ALERT NERD POSER ALERT
Field Marshall Von Dan

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 04:12:27 pm »
Looks like you got me there.  I don't really identify with any part of 'nerd culture.'  Besides, I thought cup-o-noodles really correlates more with poverty than anything else.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 05:22:41 pm »
totemo oishii = very delicious. :3

i've gotten used to people calling me 'oishii' at the con. XD

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 03:18:12 am »

As a 27-year old who has been going to cons since 2000, I have a standing tradition: for each con, I try to focus on something new. I may spend most of that particular year doing the same thing, but I'll try something new the next time. Among the things I've focused on:

- Watching non-stop anime (during my first year where having ACCESS to so much was something new)
- Room parties
- Running an event (karaoke)
- Vocal performance on the big stage
- Gaming
- Panel-hopping
- Costuming
- Karaoke performance

The last four I do every year, but each had its day in my personal spotlight of interest, to the exclusion of everything else (or nearly everything else).  I think it's a good way of handling the huge variety of events to choose from at a convention. :) This way, I learn to enjoy variation, and it also makes it easier to prioritize and decide what NOT to try to attend each year.

I'd like to have met some people, but, as I said before, most of the attendees appeared to be children.  None the less, I have no real complaints, as watching anime, is by nature a solitary activity, like reading a novel.

I'd actually disagree with the part about it being a "solitary activity." Well, conditionally disagree. I do watch anime alone on occasion. But I really got into anime at the university, when we had a weekly club. I have a bunch of high school buds. However, I met most of my recent local friends either through university anime club, or through the convention (and since the aforementioned anime club founded Kumori Con, there is plenty of overlap).

Anyway, suffice to say, I love watching anime with friends. :) Alone? Not as fun. I prefer to play video games when I'm alone with a TV screen.

I really thought the purpose of a con was for fans to meet the artists, like at comicon.  Were anime cons like that once, and subsequently morphed into something else?

There are plenty of people who would like to meet the artists and industry.  However, in anime there is a bit of a practicality problem there. Getting American voice talents and industry reps is pretty easy.  But most fans want to get the Japanese talents over here.

Obviously, this is difficult. It requires much more expensive accomodations, and Japanese guests usually get the star treatment... not just because they might well deserve it, but also because they sometimes need a lot of motivation to go so far away from home. Also, we've got the language barrier. Not many Japanese are fluent enough in English to work without a translator.  This is doable, but it limits how many people can interact with each individual Japanese guest.

All of these things combined with the fact that higher expense means fewer Japanese guests means that more fans are fighting for the attention of a handful of Japanese guests. Personally, I've all but given up on trying to get autographs and ask questions... partially because it's not a huge priority for me (I like to enjoy the fruits of their labor rather than engage in idol-worship), and partially because I want to give others (who want it more) a chance to meet them.

Anyway, that's my somewhat lengthy response, but you sound like a curious soul with a lot of insightful observations in you. :) I'm not sure your interests align quite as much, since I am a uncured gaming addict among other things, but keep an eye out: there are definitely people closer to your age at the convention.

The catch is, they're often running things...
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 10:11:10 am »

Yes, it does. :)

I know... Lucas, Dorothy, Tania and I (plus others..) were speaking in engrish on Monday, saying things like "omg my atama (head) is so itaiii(hurt/painful)" and "I ai (love) you guys!" "What is your name desu ka?" and making stupid 4/7/chan jokes But this guy sitting next to us got really angry, taking us waaaay too seriously, and said "It's Des! not Desu! You're not saying it right."
for realz.

And Vondan, I'll make you an aunt. :) She's be on a peice of paper! And she's be sooo cute! I'll give her to you next time I see you.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 11:01:35 am »

And Vondan, I'll make you an aunt. :) She's be on a peice of paper! And she's be sooo cute! I'll give her to you next time I see you.

great I'll have to find the others and put it on my shop wall next to the other pictures little girls gave me one of Velma and one of a Romulan chick in a sailor suit with glasses and a cup o noodle and a t shirt that said I heart Buretos

Von "the paper Aunt Lathario" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Haunted by the Con?
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 08:20:38 pm »
Quote from: "Mr_Mustash"
So almost every day at work, Burgerville in Lake Oswego, i see someone from the con. Its pretty much amazing!!! Especially when you can talk to them about this years con!!!

I saw someone today at a game store but I did not say anything because I have never talked to them before and did not want to admit I know who they are from seeing there Cosplay Lab gallery from I googled Cosplay Eugene Oregon
Field Marshall Von Dan