Poll

Which Kumoricon Hotel did you like the most?

Doubletree in Eugene (Springfield?), 2003
0 (0%)
Marriott on the River, 2004
0 (0%)
Doubletree next to Lloyd Center, 2005
20 (58.8%)
Red Lion in Hayden Island, 2006
5 (14.7%)
Hilton in downtown Vancouver, 2007
9 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: May 07, 2007, 11:36:31 am

Author Topic: Kumoricon Hotel Poll  (Read 7632 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:36:31 am »
Just kind of curious about people's opinions. I've gotten into a couple of debates with various people and I figured I might as well find out what everyone else thinks as well.

Not to mention that if we get everyone's thoughts in one place it's easier for the Facility Liaison to find them if its ever brought up later on down the road.  :wink:

Keep in mind that we haven't had the convention at the new Hilton, and the 2003 location might not have been Doubletree but it has been demolished so its a moot point.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline snakeling

• Sailor Scout
    • http://cmdproduction.com
Re: Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:32:48 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Just kind of curious about people's opinions. I've gotten into a couple of debates with various people and I figured I might as well find out what everyone else thinks as well.

Not to mention that if we get everyone's thoughts in one place it's easier for the Facility Liaison to find them if its ever brought up later on down the road.  :wink:

Keep in mind that we haven't had the convention at the new Hilton, and the 2003 location might not have been Doubletree but it has been demolished so its a moot point.

Doubletree was the easiest for me spec wise.  They had the rear projection cabibilities on the stage.  Tall ceilings.  And I liked the set up the best there.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 12:49:56 pm »
doubletree was in concealed carry (extremely unsafe) location.
Can't really judge the new hotel as I havent' seen it yet.
Downtown hotels cost too much for parking. the only place w/ free parking is the one that gets my vote.   :)

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:36:56 pm »
While our new space is very impressive, I think I have to wait until we actually hold the con there to have my full opinion formed on the place.  However, no matter how awesome it is, I don't think anything can shake the Doubletree by Lloyd Center out of my heart.  The accessibility was awesome, as it's right by the max.  Lloyd Center being BAM! right there was a great asset, and even when they were closed there were plenty of other places within walking distance to get food.  The park across the street was awesome.  Even the homeless people got into the con spirit.  One guy actually had one of the "hug me" signs, instead of asking for spare change.  I never once felt unsafe at the doubletree.  It was the best experience I've had at with this con.

We'll see what this year holds.   It'll really have to bring it to kick the Doubletree off my top list.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:05:07 pm »
I think the Hilton is great. I feel bad about subsidizing Paris Hilton's extravagance, but it is by far the best hotel we've ever been to. The layout is the best by far, we have TV screens next to all the room doors that we can use to display maps and schedules, the ceilings are really high, the park has been cleared of hobos, there's free parking readily available within a few blocks, and the staff has been really, really nice. The Doubletree had more rooms, more event space although a poorer layout, and a really nice staff too, but they were kind of lacking in all the other areas that I mentioned, and the ceiling in main events was uncomfortably low which was a challenge for the setup crew.

EDIT: And while I can't argue against anyones opinions or personal feelings, I disagree about the downtown location being "extremely unsafe". Show me some insane crime rate statistic and I'll defer but I know from how much time I've spent around the Lloyd Center area that the crime rate there isn't that bad. I've worked at the Pacific Center tower a few blocks away for about a year and went to the mall on most days for lunch, and I know nobody I worked with would describe the area as unsafe at all.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:12:22 pm »
I liked the Doubletree. :3
I know that now especially, how much it can hold is a problem, but it was so much easier for me transportation-wise.

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:12:52 pm »
Hilton is my vote. Extremely large space, and staff is really helpful, and that Kumoricon has mostly the entire hotel to themselves. >.>

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:18:46 pm »
Wow, that's a great response for one day! I wish I knew why the people who voted for the Red Lion liked it best. There don't seem to be any comments in favor of last year's hotel.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 08:48:33 pm »
I absolutely loved the Doubletree next to Lloyd Center. I just wish it was a bit bigger. But it was so conveniant to have Lloyd Center just a few minutes walk away from the hotel. That was awesome.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:21:32 pm »
Yes yes, the double tree is my favorite as well. It was nice inside, staff was nice (at least to me I dont know about other people) There was the park where people could go for pics and the mall was right there for food and stuff! By fat the best.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:40 am »
What a shame that I missed the Con at the Double tree!  It's a short walk from my house in southeast.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 03:08:35 pm »
I too agree that so far (not counting this year as it hasn't happened yet), the Doubletree has been the best I've been to (mainly because I've only been to 2005 and 2006 and well, the Red Lion was not all that great <.<). Right in the middle of everything, plenty of food nearby, right on the MAX line made it very easy to get there..too bad there's nothing big enough in the area other than the Convention Center for us <.<
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 09:02:20 pm »
Like Trumby, I've only actually been to the 2005 and 2006 con. Another reason I like about the Doubletree is more familiarity with the area. :3

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
First impression is that Vancouver will be great
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:00:57 pm »
I really like those monitors outside the rooms.  Having the park across from the hotel is also a plus.
Avatar is "Othar Tryggvassen" from GirlGeniusOnline.net

Offline Shuurajou

• Cabbit
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:25:03 pm »
I loved the Red Lion. the location wasn't bad and there was a grocery store within walking distance. I think I'm staying there this year since the Hiltons full and since our parent isn't willing to pay the tax for the hotel. XD oh well.. what she saves in taxes she'll have to pay in gas money.

>_< I may have also liked it more because we actually had a room last year and it was a nice retreat.

Does the Hilton have a Pool??
~Kat~

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 02:17:28 am »
Lloyd Center was easiest to get to. You can't even get to two of those on TriMet (which is one of my major quibbles with the new location--I'll have to get a ride with a friend rather than take the bus)

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 08:25:22 am »
Red Lion was my first year at the convention, and it seemed nice enough. It was easy to get to and easy to park. Though I am going to hold my thoughts until I attend at the Hilton. There are somethings I am not necessarily thrilled about, but perhaps the pros will outway the cos. Besides, so far people have been saying some great things about the place....

Best of all....we need a bigger place! How cool is that? I am willing to change venue, cough up money for parking if it means that more people have registered to attend so far... ^^

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 08:41:50 am »
Quote from: "Shuurajou"
Does the Hilton have a Pool??

The Hilton does, in fact, have an indoor pool on the third floor.
Just down the hall from the Executive Suite.
Hmmmm....
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 10:29:02 am »
Yes Tom, that WAS the deciding factor :roll:
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 01:48:54 pm »
Quote from: "guspasho"
Yes Tom, that WAS the deciding factor :roll:

Ah ha! I knew it!

Actually.... The Marriott's pool was the furthest....
From then it depends on whether you're referring to Con Ops or the Green Room/Convention suite. The Presidential Suite at the Hilton is on the 7th floor and I still don't have the information on the other "suites" that are available.

On terms of distance between pool and suite we can't beat the Double Trees Lanai suites (Prog and Ops 2005 iirc) which were literaly right next to the pool. Oh gosh, I've got to stop thinking about this before I actually spend the rest of the night calculating the average distance from the pool to the suite at each hotel as measured from each suite used at that hotel.

*runs off to find a new webcomic archive*
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 02:59:11 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Lloyd Center was easiest to get to. You can't even get to two of those on TriMet (which is one of my major quibbles with the new location--I'll have to get a ride with a friend rather than take the bus)

Yeah you can. I've taken trimet to both the Red Lion and the Hilton so I know  very well that it's possible.

What you'd do is take a bus/max/walk to either downtown or MLK, then get on the 6 heading north to Vancouver. In regards to the Red Lion, it dropped you off right in front of that Safeway that was there. With the Hilton, it'll drop you off at the downtown Vancouver transit center (I believe that's what it was called) then you just walk a few blocks SW to the hotel.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 09:32:50 pm »
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what all Vancouver hotels are closest to the Hilton? Since the Hilton's sold out, I'll need to get a room somewhere else.

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 07:11:16 am »
Quote from: "PaladinCecil79"
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what all Vancouver hotels are closest to the Hilton? Since the Hilton's sold out, I'll need to get a room somewhere else.

Um...  it shouldn't be sold out.  We had this discussion last month when our block of rooms ran out and it had to be extended?

Anyone higher up that knows what's going on have current info on this?  

But yes there are other hotels in that area.  There the Red Lion on the Quay, the Econolodge, and if you have a car and want to stay in oregon, the Jantzen Beach Red Lion where we were last year isn't that far away.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 11:36:37 am »
If anything my vote is a toss up between Double Tree and this Hilton. However since I've not been to the Hilton hotel I can't cast a vote just yet. I liked Double Tree because, as others have stated, it was close to the Lloyd Center and was easy to find a meal. However the prospects of a new hotel that is to ourselves, with tvs and other neat things everywhere excites me. I like going to new (good) hotels and exploring. It's one of my favorite things about a con. Also, Hilton has an INDOOR pool! <3 Swimming w/out burnage is always good in my book. =P

Also... Red Lion... grrr. XP Far too confusing! Everything looked the same on every floor. If I didn't have a friend with me who knew the way somewhat from when she had been there for another activity I would have been lost for days. @.@; Though watching people on the tennis courts from my room were amusing.... the balcony view I had... that's about the only good thing I remember about the hotel. XD
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58:09 am »
Well, I only went to the 2006 con, & since the 2007 hasn't happened yet, I don't feel right with voting on that one.  So, Red Lion wins my vote by default.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58:33 am »
Quote from: "Mei Long"
the balcony view I had... that's about the only good thing I remember about the hotel. XD

I wasn't so lucky at the Red Lion.  My room had a partial view of the parking lot.  I say partial because the window was just above ground level.

I think mine would be the Double Tree, maybe the new hotel as a close 2nd.
The Red Lion... dead last because of the way they treated us.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
Yeah, they were kinda @$$hole-ish towards us.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 12:15:36 pm »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
Yeah, they were kinda @$$hole-ish towards us.

Trust me, other hotels were much kinder to us in the past.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 12:26:28 pm »
I should hope so.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Kumoricon Hotel Poll
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 07:21:59 pm »
I have never been to a DoubleTree I didn't like.

Anyway, my first Sakura Con (in 2000) was at a DoubleTree, and I loved that just as much as Kumori Con's in 2005. The rooms are always nicer than you would usually get for the same price at a different hotel, the hotel staff are always friendly, they offer complimentary services that others would charge unreasonable prices for, and best of all: free, warm chocolate chip cookies. *drool*

So yeah, my favorite was the DoubleTree near the Lloyd Center in 2005.

The DoubleTree in 2003 barely counted as a DoubleTree, though, as DoubleTree had only just bought the hotel, and it was on the verge of going out of business thanks to location. Also, it was our first year, so it was at a tiny hotel. We'll never again see Kumori Con at a hotel of that size (though I'd also be happy if one of the overflow hotels is a DoubleTree, someday).
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice