Author Topic: proof my resume plz  (Read 3907 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:53:35 pm »
as some might know i need a part time job so i wont be super poor
i havent made a lot of them so here is my first try

Jasmine Lady
(adress and cell #n e-mail i is just leavng off)

Objective
I am a Portland State University student seeking part-time, summer, or permanent employment which will work with my class schedule.

Education

Portland State University
Junior, Psychology major, Japanese minor
Expected to graduate June 2008

Mount Hood community college
Associate Arts degree in Arts and Science 2005

Previous Work Experience

Kumoricon Anime Convention, Volunteer
(An annual convention devoted to Japanese animation and culture)
Volunteer Manager Vallie
Portland, Oregon
2005 to current

Duties include helping plan future convention events.  Handing out flyers and networking with local businesses to promote the convention and soliciting donations for the convention’s charity auction.  Other duties include assisting in running a panel, crowd control, and working with a team to develop skits and stage entertainment. Recently awarded with the rank of honorary staff member.

Jo Ann’s Inc, Team Member
Manager Jackie
Gresham, Oregon, 2005-2006

Responsible for many duties, including the cutting counter and customer service, involving helping guests locate items they are looking for and with their craft projects. Also trained in inventory, restocking, and cashier.  Received 6 Cut Above awards for excellent customer service.

Skills
Basic Japanese language skills
Sewing and costume making
Basic computer skills, MS Word, typing 30 WPM
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
proof my resume plz
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:00:01 pm »
so I can become more skills that would help me in life.

um, I think you mean "So I can acquire more skills for life"

I know basic compute skills

should be something like "I have basic computer skills"

(what skills? word excel outlook, firefox? windows mac linux?)

Also, if you GPA is above 3.0 you should put it down in education and you should put your high school too.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
proof my resume plz
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 05:10:21 pm »
Have you tried looking at different resumes so you can get a better idea of how to piece your skills together better? It may sound like a lot of work, but customizing your resume to the job you are applying for helps a lot!

You certainly have a good start, but it seems it's not display as well as it could be.

Personally I would put your education and accomplishments at the very top and you can technically smoosh your paid and non paid experience together. That is important is to show you did something.

Here are a few resume samples. Though personally I would drop the objective. You can really put that into a cover letter if you ever drop your resume off with anyone.

http://www.jobweb.com/resources/library/Samples/Four_Sample_Resumes_68_01.htm

This has been a handy site source for me when I was researching cover letter writing
http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/Resumes/formats.htm

There are many other sources on the net that are handing getting you and your resume ready.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I can kinda do this stuff in my sleep (been in out of jobs for the past year since graduating).

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:17:04 pm »
thans for help , i an making corections as i get to them
i have looked at some resume samples thats where i saw the objective thingy at.
my problem is i dont have much job expernice because growing up my paernts were divorced and it was usaly me my mom and 2 brothers, since the age of 11 to 12 i did the most of cooking and cleaning and taking care of my younger brother, which dosen't really look good on a resume
but i is a really good cook

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:36:57 pm »
You just want a part time job yes? Why go through all that, just for that?

But I am more concerned that your continued misuse of English will prevent you from actually using proper grammar and spelling when you need to prove that you can do it. For example, " My goal is to find a part time job at I can do well at." Should read, My goal is to find a part time job I can do well. Skip all the "at"s.

List skills and responsibilities used. Or, why not get a job as a cook? Hell, I did that, with no skills or nada, I just applied, and some fool hired me! I started out as a baker for Shari's restaurants in Oregon City. Or was it working at Hamburger Mary's downtown? Don't remember, it was too long ago, and the HM gig didn't last too long.

I wish you all the luck you require, and no more!  :lol:
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:32:29 pm »
that part i put there cuz i couldnt think of anything and it was sugested in the resume sample  was looking at

food prep would be a no i have skin allergys and it would ill my hands

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 04:47:26 pm »
Then wear nitrile gloves. That is what they are there for, to be used.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 07:24:50 pm »
Quote from: "jaybug"
Then wear nitrile gloves. That is what they are there for, to be used.

when i tried wearing latex and latex free gloves, my hands still would break out in little blisters, the docter thinks it might be the air cut off from my hand or somthing, i jad a patch test but it didnt show any reaction, its just my hands for the most part

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 07:31:09 pm »
Man, sorry to hear about that. Food is so easy to get a job in compared to other possible employments.

I wish I had other ideas for you. Unless..

Can you sell a car?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 09:11:12 pm »
i can't drive... :(
but part of my fiscal burden is a class i want to take that was messing up with my avaliblity for work but i needed a job to pay for class, but the class made it hard to find a job but i needed a job to pay for the class

enter my teacher working with me and aranged somthing now i can take class woot this takes some stress off

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:43:21 am »
here is a copy of my resume (im sure the forum copy paste will slaughter the layout a bit but u will get the general idea) and no im not worried about my info being seen

Jesse L. Cranston
4607 SW Greensboro Way Apt. #197
Beaverton, OR 97007
Cellular (503) 888-9790
kylite@yahoo.com

OBJECTIVE:

To acquire a full-time position within the Technical Industry to demonstrate my professionalism handling heavy work loads.

EDUCATIONAL SKILLS:

Customer Service Skills      Multi-Tasking         HTML         Windows ME      Reception/Clerical         Multi-Phone Lines           MS Word         Windows NT
   Technical Support           Keyboarding (48wpm)        MS-DOS         Windows 3.X
   Troubleshooting          10-Key (89spm)         Netscape         Windows 95
   Data Entry/Filing         Eudora Pro/Lite         Outlook Express      Windows 98
   Food Handling         Internet Explorer         Windows XP      Windows 2000

EDUCATION:

Wilson High School, Portland, OR
Diploma / Basic Education                                                           June, 1997

EXPERIENCE:

Yahoo, Inc, Hillsboro, OR  
Account Billing Manager                                                                                                   June, 2005 to January, 2007
Attended to both inbound and outbound E-Mails; assisting Yahoo customers with their account status and assured all accounts were handled in a timely manor.

ACS, Tualatin, OR
Customer Service Representative                                                                                September, 2004 to June, 2005
Attended to inbound calls; assisting Nextel customers in opening new accounts, and provided answers to any and all questions asked.

Encompass TeleServices Inc, Beaverton, OR
Customer Service Representative                                                                                             April, 2003 to January, 2004
Attended to inbound calls, assisting T-Mobile customers in cellular and account maintenance, and provided answers to any and all questions asked.

ACS, Tualatin, OR
Customer Service Representative                                                                       January, 2003 to April, 2003
Attended to inbound calls, assisting Nextel customers in lost and stolen or damage claims regarding their phones,  maintained accounts, shipments, and provided answers to any and all questions asked.

DirecTV DSL, Beaverton, OR   
Technical Support Agent                                                                                                       February, 2002 to January, 2003
Attended to multi-phone lines and assisted in account set up and the troubleshooting the central processing units.

Stream International / HP, Beaverton, OR
Technical Support Agent                                                                                                      February, 2001 to January, 2002
Attended to multi-phone lines and assisted customers in troubleshooting both hardware and software over the phone.

800 Support / CYBERREP, Tualatin, OR
Technical Support Agent                                                                                                             October, 1999 to June, 2000
Attended to the central processing units and troubleshot both hardware and software within the establishment.

Intel / Bonapatite, Tualatin, OR
Food Handler                                       May, 1999 to October, 1999
Assisted in the preparation of food and the deliveries and clean ups of the Intel meeting rooms, food and kitchen storage.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
proof my resume plz
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 11:02:45 am »
You could do the temp service thing.  Goto volt / kelly services / adecco and give them your resume + fill out an app.  The call them every day until they get so sick of you that they give you a job with one of their clients.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
proof my resume plz
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:12:17 am »
Quote from: "melchizedek"
You could do the temp service thing.  Goto volt / kelly services / adecco and give them your resume + fill out an app.  The call them every day until they get so sick of you that they give you a job with one of their clients.

i thought about that but i cant drive and the class i want to take messes
my avalility, but i am hopeful i'm not so rushed to get a job now, since my teacher is helping me
new revison up
and a friend gave me a lead on a job tomarrow