Author Topic: Heath Ledger Died  (Read 5659 times)

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Heath Ledger Died
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »
Heath Ledger Found Dead in NYC at Age 28

By TOM HAYS

NEW YORK (AP) — Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan residence, and police said drugs may have been a factor. He was 28. NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the Manhattan apartment believed to be his home. The housekeeper who went to let him know the masseuse had arrived found him dead at 3:26 p.m.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He's had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot," and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball."

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series "Roar," Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in "10 Things I Hate About You," a teen comedy reworking of "The Taming of the Shrew."

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn't like.

"It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. "It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, `You're crazy,' my parents were like, `Come on, you have to eat.'"

His latest role was in "I'm Not There," in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan — as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned an Oscar nomination Tuesday for best supporting actress.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
Re: Heath Ledger Died
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:05:08 pm »
I was going to post this story, then you went ahead and beat me ^_^.

When I found out, I was so sad. I would've thought that Brittany Spears and Lindsay Lohan would've died long before he did. *sigh*

*throws a rose into the grave*

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:20:34 pm »
That's so heartbreaking I don't even know what to say right now. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:43:46 pm »
OMG! No!
I'm so very sad!

I'll now have to go see Dark Knight extra times in his honor.

Man... if the Joker survives the movie but then CAN'T be in more sequels because of this I'm going to be so sad!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:58:53 pm »
... I almost had a heart attack and thought Jon Heder died. I was like "WOW, he's too young to die!" and I googled it to double check.

I've never seen any of his movies, but it is sad that he is gone. :(

Offline GaaraoftheFunk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:30:48 pm »
Am i the only one that doesn't feel sad..?o_o;
>.>
<.<

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:40:02 pm »
I don't know if I am sad, I am too much in disbelief.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:48:07 am »
Yeah its odd, we envy these people... They have (almost) everything, but is that not good enough for them? The world is a real psych trip.
He was a good actor though from what I've seen him in and the dark night trailer with him looked good.
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 06:28:55 am »
Am i the only one that doesn't feel sad..?o_o;
>.>
<.<

Alright, if you don't feel sad, that's fine, but this is someone who died. Why would you even bother saying that? Just curious.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:15:21 am »
OMG! No!
I'm so very sad!

I'll now have to go see Dark Knight extra times in his honor.

Man... if the Joker survives the movie but then CAN'T be in more sequels because of this I'm going to be so sad!

Well they did replace Katie Holmes :[ But it wouldn't be the same without Heath Ledger, the reviews said he was the best joker. I'm probably going to see the movie and cry DX I hope they still release it now.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 01:37:55 pm »
I was angry at first, but then realized I was just irritated for being taken by such surprise.

Seriously no one saw this coming.

It's also pisses me off that it was an accident.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 03:08:55 pm »
I wonder if this will start a trend, like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison dying so close together back when.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 03:40:09 pm »
ths is the suckyest thing that ever did suck :(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »
I didn't believe a friend (Who lives in NY) of mine who told me over the internet. I was told 20 minutes after it happened. I really liked Heath Ledger.. v.v
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
#2? golf caddie killed when hit by taxi. But he isn't that famous outside the golf world.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:59 pm »
I wonder if this will start a trend, like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison dying so close together back when.

Brad Renfro died about a week previous.

He hadn't done much lately but was also an actor and his death was drug related, but he'd had problems for awhile.  :(

Much sadness all around.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 02:34:57 am »
I heard about this, and at first I was slightly shocked and sad.

But then I found out that it was a drug overdose... and I just sighed and grumbled to myself. In some ways this sort of thing may be  "tragic," but when so many celebrities die from drug ODs, it takes a certain amount of stubbornness to follow the same path as those who went before you.

They all died in a short span of time?... Ahh, now I'm beginning to understand the context of the lyrics of that old Arrogant Worms song...

"Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Brian Jones, Keith Moon,
Jim Morrison....Roy Orbison
John Lennon, Bob Marley, Leonard Bernstien, Elvis Presley
Well, we're not too sure about Elvis,
But I think you get the point"
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 02:56:26 am »
I heard about this, and at first I was slightly shocked and sad.

But then I found out that it was a drug overdose... and I just sighed and grumbled to myself. In some ways this sort of thing may be  "tragic," but when so many celebrities die from drug ODs, it takes a certain amount of stubbornness to follow the same path as those who went before you.

They all died in a short span of time?... Ahh, now I'm beginning to understand the context of the lyrics of that old Arrogant Worms song...

"Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Brian Jones, Keith Moon,
Jim Morrison....Roy Orbison
John Lennon, Bob Marley, Leonard Bernstien, Elvis Presley
Well, we're not too sure about Elvis,
But I think you get the point"

Well, in his defense, his drug overdose was considered accidental. Sleeping pills when he had neumonia, I believe.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 02:57:29 am »
And to add to the Suck Cake, Fred Phelps, the Most Evil Man In America, announced that his followers will protest at the funeral. Because Ledger once *played* a gay man.

**** BASTARD. Someone needs to lock him up.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 12:34:46 pm »
Well, in his defense, his drug overdose was considered accidental. Sleeping pills when he had neumonia, I believe.

Waitwaitwaitaminnit... Sleeping pills?...

What I'm concerned with isn't so much that it was accidental... rather, that it was a regular legal medicine, as opposed to some sort of addictive illegal drug.

Man, I guess I need to just wait a few days and then check up on the facts in cases like this....anyway, if it was a sleeping pill accident, that certainly is sad and unanticipated. I remember reading a classic novel where the main character died from an accident such as that.

And to add to the Suck Cake, Fred Phelps, the Most Evil Man In America, announced that his followers will protest at the funeral. Because Ledger once *played* a gay man.

**** BASTARD. Someone needs to lock him up.

Sheesh. What are they protesting, his death?... Picketing a funeral is beyond tactless, even given Phelps' supposed personal convictions.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:37:09 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »
yeah they didnt find any illigal drugs, just prescribed ones, sleeping pills and over the counter stuff, but they didnt say what, for all be know it could be ib profen and benadril

when i heard about it i blamed the hollywood doctors, they prescribe drugs like candy,

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 02:09:27 pm »
I know! When I heard it was a drug overdose, I just rolled my eyes (but in a sad manner), but then I heard it was sleeping pills!!! Then I was like "wow."

I guess this proves you can die at any moment and you just need to appreciate life.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 09:05:04 am »
and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball."

Okay, now I know who this guy was.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
Radien, no you don't "get it": Jimi, Janice, and Jim, died within months of each other, and each were instrumental to the period. And all threee were of accidental overdoses. Jmi on German sleeping pills, but he actually asphyxiated on his own vomit in the ambulance on the wway to the hospital. Janice died because she tried heroin. Jim died because he did too much of cocaine and maybe heroin too. I am not too sure of that one, as much as I am about Jimi and Janice.

Brian Jones drowned in a swimming pool a couple years earlier, and the Rolling Stones were trying to figure out how to get him out of the band. That list is just of dead musicians. John Lennon was murdered/assinated in 1980, 10 years after the 3 rock legends died.

And this is not to be confused with the "day the music died" when Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash. Waylon Jennings was spared as he gave up his seat on the airplane.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 01:26:34 pm »
Sheesh. What are they protesting, his death?... Picketing a funeral is beyond tactless, even given Phelps' supposed personal convictions.

Just when you think the WBC folks can't sink any lower, they go and do something like this.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 02:40:38 pm »
The only good thing that came out of their picketing is the fact that Hell's Angels, the infamous biker gang, from all around the country have voluntarily appointed themselves to get the WBC away from the funerals.

If my funeral was being safeguarded by one of the most dangerous freelance groups, I think I'd feel like the biggest badass in the world.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 05:43:18 pm »
oh dear lord does that mean when i die they are gonna picket my funneral cuz i shopped at lane bryant?

it is funny (not haha) to hear tranvestites shop there, cuz the cose are for bigger women, it makes me think ofa friend who sugested i try spartcus for a corcet top cuz i have broad shoulders (ps i is girl)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 07:00:01 am »
I like Spartacus, they have things for both genders there though, right? I've never bought anything, I just like to look, lol, too spendy.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 05:39:24 pm »
I like Spartacus, they have things for both genders there though, right? I've never bought anything, I just like to look, lol, too spendy.

Yes, they are expensive @_@. But I love the clothes ^_^. In fact, I was there this past weekend and I bought an awsome folder that reads "What Would a Ninja Do" with a little spinning ninja dude surrounded by many ninja options. In fact~ *spins wheel* I UNLEASH FURY!

And I didn't know trans-gender people shopped at Lane Bryant. But that's unfortunate they've decided to picket the funerals. Those women didn't deserve to die.