Author Topic: Question about convention  (Read 3548 times)

Offline konekokitty

• Cabbit
Question about convention
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:25:10 pm »
I'm just curious, how big is Kumoricon compared to Sakuracon?

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Re: Question about convention
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:03:54 pm »
Check out the numbers on this page.
I'd say Kumoricon is by far smaller than Sakuracon.

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:33:20 pm »
I'm thinking waaaay smaller. Last year's attendance was tallied at about 3,003 people. Sakura-Con has to hold their convention at the Convention center (if I'm not mistaken), and K-Con holds ours in a more intimate setting, just until we run out of space and have to do the same thing as Sakura-Con. (Lol)
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:49:42 am »
Last year I believe we broke 4,000 people.  Even though the population is smaller, the con is still super fun!  I found that K-con has quite a bit more content and more interesting things to attend than Sakuracon does.  Plus things generally start on time and you won't have to entertain yourself in the dealers hall all day.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:17:08 am »
Sakura-con is huge compared to Kumoricon. They had almost 13,000 people this year and we had..a little over 3,000 last year. But what does the size of the con have to do with anything? Curious because I know a lot of people who go to Anime Oasis, which purposely sets a 500 person limit, and have had a blast.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:26:54 am »
But what does the size of the con have to do with anything?

The size matters mostly because big-name bands, artists, voice actors, and other guests and commercial aspects are likely to go where the people are. Also, a lot of people cosplay, and showing their skillz to more than 10,000 people can seem a little more worthwhile.
I like small cons better myself, though. Things aren't so profit-based; it's more about interests and fun.

Offline konekokitty

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:55:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies!!

I was just curious how many events (and what kinds) a smaller convention would have.

Plus things generally start on time and you won't have to entertain yourself in the dealers hall all day.

Haha True XD Does Kumoricon have a dealer's hall?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:03:01 pm by konekokitty »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:15:44 pm »
yup plenty of stuff in it too, and an artist ally where artist can sell stuff they make
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:10:59 am »
Ah, I see, I see. As for events..we do the same big events Sakura-con does: AMV contest, cosplay contest, concerts, dance(s?), masquerade ball (think we are doing this again?), cosplay chess. Then of course all sorts of panels.

The biggest difference is really the scale of things.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:14:17 am »

The size matters mostly because big-name bands, artists, voice actors, and other guests and commercial aspects are likely to go where the people are. Also, a lot of people cosplay, and showing their skillz to more than 10,000 people can seem a little more worthwhile.
I like small cons better myself, though. Things aren't so profit-based; it's more about interests and fun.

While this is generally, true, it isn't always the case. Most of the time, it is the larger conventions that can afford to bring out talent that is more in demand, but artists/voice actors will also go somewhere because they really enjoy the place too.

That was the case with Kumoricon this year; we turned down going to one of the biggest conventions in the world (Dragoncon) because we wanted to spend our time at our favorite convention - Kumoricon!

Also, not all of the larger conventions are profit-driven; many, like Sakuracon, are put on by a non-profit organization that uses the money for great causes (like the Make a Wish Foundation) and to promote awareness of Asian culture in the U.S...

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:37 am »
Because we've proved that smaller cons are better in their own way! Granted sakurcon usually has better guests than us, most of our attendees get to speak with our guests.
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)