Author Topic: First time Cosplaying...need major help! ><  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Spatula

• Oni
First time Cosplaying...need major help! ><
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:42:36 pm »
Well, I guess the hardest part about planning the cosplay is choosing a character.  Well I have basically got that, and only that, done...I wanna go to Kumoricon as Neku from The World Ends with You, but I have no idea really where to start. 

For the hair, I was wondering if I could just style mine, instead of getting a wig...I really don't like wearing wigs...Can anyone here give me a few tips on how to make longer hair stick up for long periods of time?

For the shirt...I have never actually sewed before, and Neku's shirt is quite odd...I was thinking of adding some short sleeves to it as well...What type of fabric should I use and how should I go about making it?

For the shorts...would it be easier to buy a pair of white shorts and sew fabric stuff on it, or make some from scratch...o__o

For the Headphone...No idea what to make them out of, or how...

For the shoes...I don't know for these either...maybe take some boots and decorate them with colored tape? ><

What I look like:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/llPandyll/RAWR68.jpg

Reference for the Character:
http://hatedpig.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/neku1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/kairi1618/wonderfulworld28.jpg

Sorry for my total nooby-ness when it comes to costume making...
:3

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
Re: First time Cosplaying...need major help! ><
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:05:01 am »
1. Go to any hair salon or buy like bees wax type hair styling stuff but like a great clips will do just tell them that it needs to be strict that it must stay up heh

2. shirts gonna be a hard one, you can find a hoodie that had a big brim, i dont know what they are called but i've seen em and cut the arms off?

3. yeah pretty much any skater shop will do

4. there are PLENTY of headphones like that, if your into a pair just get like the bose over the ear headphones but those are expensive!!!

5. uhhh hard try something like an alternative clothing store a la hot topic something like: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302028394&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442169967&bmUID=1214636556596
will start you off =)

Hope this is a start to help.. but try and get it together swiftly 1+1/2 months go by quickly!
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:51:19 am »
Another way of making them besides decorating an existing pair is to make boot covers that could go over any shoes. That might work better cuz from my experience, painting or taping shoes doesn't work very well. The paint and tape come off very easily. >.o I also agree that you could buy giant headphones and shorts and just fix them up to look more like Neku's. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:59:30 pm »
The shorts seem like they'd be fairly easy.  But some SIMPLE white shorts, rip the pockets off with a seam ripper, sew on some purple bias tape, sew them back on, and add the button. (It'll be a lot easier to add the button afterwards, though it might look a little stranger.  Oh well, no one will be able to tell unless they have their head in your crotch.)

Alternatively, if you can't sew, buy some fabric paint from a store like Michaels.  Any craft stores in your area should have them.  I paint shoes, and fabric paint works really well on clothes-type fabrics (cotton and such... Not so much leather, so this won't work if you're going to buy some white leather shorts. ;D).  It also keeps the fabric fairly moveable without a lot of chipping.  IT DOES, HOWEVER, look a little worse than sewing if you do a sloppy job.  But back to this... Lay some tape over where you don't want to be getting paint on, or you're likely to make an odd brush stroke that goes out of the line you want.  And unfortunately, white fabric paint doesn't always fix the mistake, and sometimes makes it look worse.  After you've painted your purple, wait for it to dry, then you can either hand sew a button on (My recommendation... Though it might not handle a washing machine afterwards), or just paint over the purple.  Oh, and make sure to wash the shorts before you put the paints on. 

And for one more half-assed method, for if you really don't care how it looks but you want to get it done, use a sharpie.  Color in a button first, then move up to using purple, then line the button with black. 

Good luck!  I was thinking of going as...err...that one reaper with the corset on. 8D But I can't sew gloves onto sleeves yet. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:41:41 pm »
with the hair get the store brond G2B the hair stray is amazing! and the goop and spiking stuff. it all works really well.

fabrics you would want a knit or atheletic fabric they are stretchy and with lay easiily for the  hood like collar and what not.
i'd offer to help but i don't own any purple fabric. i own every other color of the rainbow

buy shorts then sew upon them

(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:14:19 pm »
The shirt looks best to start from scratch o-o
Either that, or get a giant pull-over, hack off the sleeves completely, and sew a stripe down the middle with yellow thread :3 I dunno what his hoodie looks like from the back, but if you wore that backwards it would work owo

Uhhhh the headphones... You could get a bit crafty with those, since they're so flat on sides. You could just use foam or cardboard or something, honestly xD With a nice paintjob, they'd look perfect owo