Author Topic: Eugene, Oregon?  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Exhumer

• Oni
Eugene, Oregon?
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:29:10 am »
So, im new to kamuricon this year and im not 100% on what is all gunna go down that weekend.. A friend of mine is hell bent on bringing me up to Portland and i just don't know what all the fuss is about. He's going for manga.. idk if there will be booths or if i should try to make something amazing for cosplay/LARP or what.. Can someone give me a simple run down of the kinda Con Kamuricon is?

Also, i wanna know if anyone from my home town will be going. ??? .

Thanks thanks,
Exhumer.
Day Man, Fighter of the Night man.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Eugene, Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:42:14 am »
So, did you even go to the main Kumoricon page? I won't link you to it because it's easy to find, but there is a description all about what Kumoricon is and what goes down there. It's the first thing you see on the main page. Reading can be helpful sometimes, heh  ::)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Exhumer

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:59:24 am »
I got my grubby fingers on a Kumoricon flier card thing.. ya know, the one that lists role playing twice.
i just dont know how it works is all.. Is there going to be a main stage area or something.. will there be an itinerary? im not an anime con usual, im just that normal guy who likes some anime from time to time.
Day Man, Fighter of the Night man.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:04:32 pm »
There'll be contests, panels, con-wide games (CAPTURE THE BUCKET!)... Dealer's hall, random stuff... I'm running out of things to say that won't scare you off...

There'll be a planner eventually, and I'll definitely print the whole thing out and go through it with a highlighter (and wear a watch!) so as to know just when the heck everything is going on.

Offline vampirek_yaoi

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 10:14:34 am »
Wow their is like soooo many things to do there...I'm sure you will have fun if you like anime and manga.

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:06:57 pm »
I live an hour off of Eugene in the humble mountain town of Roseburg. Its also my first con  :) I hear tons of praise for Kumoricon Exhumer, so it should be a magical experience for each of us n00bs  ;)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:34:40 am »
Hi there!  ^^  I'm from the Eugene area (Springfield, specifically).  If you want to find someone to drive up here with, I recommend posting in the Plan Your Adventure forum.

As for information about the con, I'd like to help. You can search the main page if you want to know about the showcased events, but if you want to find out what best fits you, it might be useful to look at it from a different perspective, like event size. Here's a run-down of the major event categories, organized from largest to smallest:

== LIVE/MAIN STAGE EVENTS ==

These are events that use one of the performance halls.  There is a stage of some sort, and usually involve some sort of show.  There's opening/closing ceremonies, a fashion show, a cosplay skit/costume contest, two karaoke contests (which might be more accurately described as Japanese music talent shows), and an Anime Music Video (AMV) competition, just for a few examples.  We even have multiple dances!

Main stage events are usually intended to be attended by a large audience. Some involve more participation than others, but they all usually attract several hundred to several thousand people.  There is more than one performance hall, so the size of these events varies considerably.

== DEALER'S HALL (a.k.a. VENDOR ROOM) ==

This is a big hall filled with independent merchants selling tons of anime-related junk treasures.  Usually worth a look, but the lines are longer earlier in the day, and as the lines get shorter, the merchandise gradually dwindles (and so do the best finds).

There is also Artist's Alley, which is sometimes in a separate room. Artist's Alley is an area specifically for independent artists wishing to showcase and sell their works. It's the place to go for buying original art and fanart.

== GAMING ==

There are a number of rooms set aside for specific types of gaming.  There's a console gaming room, a role-playing room, and a collectible card game room, among others you will be able to find.  Most of them offer gaming activities during all con hours.  Just walk in, sign in if applicable, and start playing!

Frequently, there are tournaments for specific games, be they video games or tabletop. They never have entry fees, and they usually have prizes. ;)

== PANELS ==

These take place in small rooms, and they usually have a panelist leading the discussion. They are generally information sessions about anything you can imagine: costume-making, Japanese culture, internet fandom, AMV creation, giant mechs in real life.... you name it. :) Sometimes they are guest Q&A sessions, where important individuals in the industry are interviewed by the fans.

Occasionally they are workshops, which involve attendee participation. Workshops are about creating something, and usually take place in rooms with tables. An example workshop would be one where a panelist teaches the basics of manga-style art, then lets everybody try it out with their own sketchbooks.

The variety of panels out there is VERY large, and different every year.  You won't know what's going to be there until you check the schedule. ^^

== HANGOUTS ==

I made up this term, since I can't think of a better one to use. Basically, some events are similar to workshops, but continue throughout the con. For instance, there's a manga library where you can go in and read whenever you want. There is also a Karaoke Room, which is different from the Karaoke Contest:  it takes place in a small room with no stage, and it works more like regular karaoke -- you don't have to bring your song with you, the words to the song are on the screen, and no one's judging your performance.

== THE HALLS ==

This isn't an event, but it's definitely worth mentioning. At all times during the day, you'll find people roaming the halls in costume, posing for (and taking) photographs, chatting about series, and making friends with people of similar interests. :) Sometimes it's fun just to walk around and see who you find.  Also, cosplayers from popular series will often schedule photo-shoot gatherings.  You can ask about what photo-shoots are taking place by checking with the Information booth.

== VIEWING ==

If nothing else is interesting, you can find a viewing room and watch anime. They have set schedules listed in the program guide. However, most people use this as a last resort, since there's usually much cooler stuff you'll be missing out on.

Anyway, this list ended up becoming much longer than I anticipated, so I'm going to leave it at that.  The list was intended to divide the events according to size and room type, because I think a person's taste in events largely depends on whether they prefer large groups or small groups.  I hope it's useful to you. ^^
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:52:50 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

oslapedo

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 08:28:45 am »
^ That is a very informative and helpful list, so thanks you :) When do the schedules usually come out?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 08:39:52 pm »
In the past, schedules came out what seemed like a week or two before the convention.

Offline vampirek_yaoi

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:52:34 pm »
Hmm yea that is true  :)

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:12 pm »
Hellooooooo there ^_^ I am one of the more local faces of the convention. I live outside Eugene/Springfield out in P.Hill.... I am also your Kumoricon assistant registration manager. I am one of the fairly normal faces of the con in comparison to some around here.

First off.... Welcome to the con.

This next part is gonna be reposted from another thread but it kinda sums up my experience with kumoricon the last two years and why its awesome enough for me to sell my soul to it. Also you can find another eugene person in this thread ( http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=6843.0 ) as well as in the twilight town thread in the plan your own adventure part of the forum.

Warning... massive post coming... Warning...

Kumoricon is a great starter convention for anybody who hasn't ever been to one before and who is at the least mildly interested in anime and anime fandom. Kumoricon is generally filled with anime fans of all ages ranging from younger children (usually those of middle aged fans), to rather seasoned people in their later years. I personally have seen anywhere from children in their infancy to adults in their 60's+ attending in the past two years showing that there is a great interest in anime for all ages, though we tend to aim more of our events for those around 13 and older, we are a kid friendly con for the most part with some anime viewings aimed toward younger viewers and quite a few events that are very age friendly. Speaking of events though we have a wide variety of things going on most hours of the day and night usually starting at about 8 or 9 in the morning (depending on the day) and going 'till around midnight (minors) or a tad bit later for adults (also depending on the night). Just a few of the many events that happen through the weekend that I can name for you now are the Masquerade Ball, the Slants Concert, Cosplay Competition and Skits, Anime Music Video Competitions, Gaming Tournaments, Anime Viewing Rooms. Thats just a few of the many things to keep you busy all day. If you need alittle quieter time there is a place to sit in the Manga Library and just read manga or you can go to the Creation Station and draw or write if that is more your thing.

I love anime conventions. I have been to two different anime conventions since fall of '06 and I have to say by far Kumoricon is my favorite because by the end of the weekend some of the people that you end up meeting feel like family, friends that you've known a life time. There is so much to do and with the family like vibe to it you don't feel like you are being squashed by big companies trying to sell you everything nor do you feel like you were jipped and you're out of place. There is always something to do or someone to talk to and though some people may seem sorta strange (they usually are) they end up being a great deal of the time really really cool people that you will want to make friends with and even hang out with all weekend.

I started attending Kumoricon in 2006 when Kumoricon was held at the Red Lion and that was admittedly not a great year for Registration, waits in line and the space we had was spread out but still small and crowded. That year though we had so many people the hotel sold out of rooms and I was forced to stay at the Oxford across the street. That particular hotel didn't treat us so well and actually had double booked us with a wedding that same weekend so the vibe was a little hectic, but the wonderful staff kept everything going and over all it was a great experience for me. I met a lot of really cool people that weekend who I am still friends with even now who share a huge number of the same interests as I do, which believe me I probably wouldn't have met these friends any other way because even an anime fan has a hard time finding other anime fans. We are good at hiding ourselves most of the time. I think I should mention too, I was supposed to go in a group that year but ended up flying solo because of a dispute within the group I was supposed to go with and believe me it was way more fun that way. I really got to spread my wings and hang out with a really interesting lot of people who were really kind. So it isn't bad at all to go by yourself up to the convention.

Kumoricon 2007 was even more amazing than 2006 for me though. I signed up as a volunteer last year and took a great deal of my own personal time and invested it into something that I loved and got a great return on it. I made friends with alot of great staff members as well as alot of regular congoers. I got to see how things worked behind the scenes as well as on the floor in the general public. The hotel we were at last year (the Vancouver Hilton) was so incredibly kind and attentive to all of our needs as both convention staff and as regular congoers. The location was beautiful with a park outside, the weather completely agreed with us and the con goers were great and the events going on all the time were so much fun to attend. The dealer room location wasn't so good but the items within were to die for. Fangirls were everywhere and were a great deal of fun to poke at. Most of all the cosplays that people came up with were gorgeous and some for being as cheaply made as possible (for some of us don't have a great deal of money) they looked great!!!

Last year we broke 3000 in attendance and this year we are hoping for a little bit more than that over the three days. That includes walk in registration for one days and for full weekend passes as well as the pre-registered lot that devotes their time for the love of anime. So certain events can become slightly crowded depending on the interest level of the event but with that many people into the same things as you are you're bound to have fun even while waiting in a line for opening ceremonies.

I've not actually been to this hotel before, but the convention was held there the year before I began going and people seemed to like it enough to go back to it so it must have been a pretty good experience for most. If you are going to stay with the hotel you might want to try to room up with someone who already has a room there. Its usually 4 people to a room and there is almost always someone that could use just one more person in their room for whatever reason. In August you will see alot of people offering space in their room for people who need it but you can also choose to stay with friends or family in the area too. I just find it easier to wake up, put cosplay on then go downstairs and do whatever it is I need or want to do with the convention. And you don't have to cosplay its totally optional but really a great deal of fun to do!

I've found that people I've met in the past two years have opened my eyes to alot more anime than I perhaps would have ever watched all by my lonesome. By the way, its not creepy to be an anime fan at an older age. I love seeing older generations that are totally into the same things we are. I know someone who cosplays a great Scar from Full Metal Alchemist and he isn't in his 20's or his teens.  You should really check it out even if you only go for a single day, it's worth taking a trip and who knows you may get to meet people you really connect with.

Give it a chance and check it out!

BSB28
<3<3<3

Whew.... thats a big post... but it contains alot of what is great about kumoricon... I mean all the great main events things we do, the concerts, the manga library, the cosplay competitions and cosplay chess... Every year there is so much I want to do and so little time to actually do all of it that I have to be really picky about what I want to do. Kumoricon is so by the fan for the fan that even if your friend is insisting that you go there is bound to be something to keep your attention.... and if nothing else staring at many of the amazing cosplays that people bring will keep you busy. People wear anything from simple goodwill created cosplays to things they spent hundreds of dollars on. The variety is amazing and whats more... some cosplayers bring more than one cosplay with them... I know one guy who brings more than six cosplays sometimes.

The big thing is to go and have fun no matter where you end up... just be aware that the fangirls can be loud and scary and can be tamed only with pocky or ramune though your best bet is pocky... each box goes much farther in taming the wild creatures...

<3<3<3
BSB28
<3<3<3

PS Goodluck with your adventure

oslapedo

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
In the past, schedules came out what seemed like a week or two before the convention.
Yay! Plenty of time to plan stuff out! Danke schon  :)

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 01:42:37 am »
There are several Eugene threads in the Plan Your Own Adventure section, if you want to get a general idea of who all lives here. We're trying to plan (yet another) Eugene meetup if you want to join in. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman