Author Topic: How much do you put into your cossplays?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
How much do you put into your cossplays?
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:36:30 pm »
Ive been wondering on this for a while now about how much people put into their cossplays, it could be time, money, bloodshed anything.... storys of what your cossplay (such as wearing it or when you were sewing it) are equaly as welcome an encourged xD

Personaly for me i put in....

$200 on mels fabric, buttons, and lace. i think anywhere from 50 to 100 on her shoes skirt stockins wig and staff, and countless nights of no sleep wahtsoever and some blood shed from the night i acidently dropped the needles on my hands ;.;

ad kairi is going to cost me about 200 i think in total, pluss about 10 days of impaciant waiting. and then a perfectly good pair of purple high tops i need to leave out in the sun for a few days -.-
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: How much do you put into your cossplays?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:46:39 pm »
My Albel cost so much to make. I'm sure it was close to $200. I remade the claw and I'm constantly re gluing stuff that comes undone, but I think it's all worth it. I think the costume turned out great.

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:39:39 pm »
I try to do everything on a budget if I can. I wait until sales on the good fabrics at Joann's, or see if my friends have any that they want to sell me.  For example, all my fabric to make 2 adult sized jumpsuits, and all of my leona (about 10 yards) cost me about $25, and its a really nice fabric too  ;D

As for time and effort? I put my heart and soul into making my costumes. I've only been cosplaying for a few years, so a lot of my costumes are still trial and error, but I'm getting to the point where my costumes are well made enough to make comebacks and stay intact during the con. And this is the first con that I can say that all of my costumes are fully functional garments : D

Bloodshed.... I dont want to admit how many iron scars I have XDDD
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:50:11 pm »
well I tend to use a lot of recycled stuff....since I don't have a lot of money. I get a lot of fabric from others  too when they just have it lying around or what not. for this years costume I'm going to say I spent..... maybe 80 at most. I'm so cheap. T_T lol
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:53:08 pm »
Hm...Well, most of my cosplays are under $30 since I raid Goodwill and everything else a lot.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:56:17 pm »
Hm...Well, most of my cosplays are under $30 since I raid Goodwill and everything else a lot.
ah yes the raiding of good will, such fun. ^_^
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
I think I'm pretty good at closeting/goodwill raiding...so I've never spent alot?....haku cost me $11 in fabric, $5 headband, and about 2 hrs sewing work.  I bought my Hunny-sempai cosplay w/ my friend on taobao.com (china's ebay).  Total cost was $30 for slacks, dress shirt, blazer w/ patch, and tie.  Rhode Kamelot - $10 shirt fabric and lace, $1 spool of ribbon, from my closet: black skirt, black/white knee-highs.  Ritsuka - yay for goodwill, sweatshirt $5, fake converse $5, use my own jeans, $10 fabric for ears/tails for both me and seimei.

What I find most expensive are wigs.  $30+ for a good quality wig T-T that won't get bald spots as soon as it's styled.  I try to save $$ by using my own hair as much as possible.  I've found though that if I'm careful I can use the $15 Halloween wigs.
Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:42:21 pm »
my cosplays are usually pretty cheap. like 75$ tops all together. im a great shopper. but this year I did get my eyebrow AND my lip pierced for my cosplay.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:44:50 pm »
I am a total fabric snob.  I categorically loathe synthetic fabric and will avoid it if at all possible, and that makes my stuff probably run a little higher in terms of cost, even with coupon shopping and hitting the LA fabric district up and bargaining like hell.  Beyond that, I've dyed fabrics fairly often for cosplay, plus one of the ones I'll have used about three yards of dupioni silk at about ten a yard ...  So I'm looking at anywhere between about seventy and almost two hundred each for the three I'll be wearing to Kcon.  Wigs definitely drive the costing way up, as can shoes.  Having to drive nearly an hour to get to JoAnn's doesn't help, either, as does the fact I can't really alter things for most of what I do, and I'm too neurotic to do it anyway, so thrift stores are pretty much out.

Miranda (D.Gray-man) is actually my cheapest cosplay to date, or will be once I finish her -- probably because there's no wig involved, and I already had the shoes.  She's run me about seventy dollars, mostly in fabric, with some for dye and associated chemicals and about five for a clock key.  Risai is my most expensive so far, at about a hundred and seventy (or probably a little more).

(Next year is going to be my Year of the Insane Cosplay Expenditure, though.  I'm doing another Juuni Kokki cosplay that will involve leather armour, and my Trinity Blood cosplay has already cost me about two hundred in supplies -- which isn't quite all of the fabric, and none of the resincasting or armour supplies.)

Offline Dae

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »
My costume was about $110, including the clothing, make-up, accessories and hair dye. I had considered putting another 20 in for a wig, but my costume is already a bit complicated for a first-time cosplay; I figure I'll buy a wig next con.
Nothing is as easy as it looks
Everything takes longer than expected
And if anything could possibly go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:49:24 pm »
My most expensive cosplay so far is definitely Matt. Ended up costing me about $220. The vest alone cost me $150 to have commissioned. But I love the costume, and the reactions I've received from fans make it all worth it. If I can make people happy by being Matt, then that's all that matters. =3

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Ryanne_monday

• Cabbit
    • My myspace
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:46:36 pm »
I bought the cloud costume at 100 then started alterations. Add a feather boa - some orphan blood and my finger almost being chopped off - Tifa.
Aeris was easier. I think it was twenty for the fabric - five for the lace some buttons and elastic. A week of sewing, cursing and hitting.
Two break up calls and one bag full of my stuff on a porch. lol
I give my life to look nice at con but it's worth it.
FINAL FANTASY SEVEN FORUM

Offline GoddessOfTechno

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:17:33 pm »
Well...

My character is this con is Queen's Blade Airi : http://queensblade.net/character/char_010.php

The fabric alone costed me 80 dollars. I get a dressmaker to make my costumes and I spent 425 on that. The shoes i bought were 11 dollars and the stockings were 15 dollars. I didnt buy/make a wig.

I like my costumes made durably and perfect the first time around. So that's why I go with a experience seamtress but she is also teaching how to sew. I'm a dork

~Alex

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:15 pm »
Eyebrow and lip? There's only one person I can think of who has an eyebrow and lip piercing... though he has a nose piercing too. ^^ *will give cookies to anyone who can figure out who she's talking about*

Hmm... let's see. Wig is about $25, since it was from eBay. Cloth, paint, clay, and everything for the main costume about $50. Would have been about $120, but I used a coupon on already discounted fabric. I can sniff a sale a mile away. XDD And nothing for the Tiger Racket, since I already had everything.
KumoriCon 2012