Author Topic: I'm (Dressing As) a Monster, Rawr!  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Dae

• Cabbit
I'm (Dressing As) a Monster, Rawr!
« on: August 17, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »
So, this is the first anime convention I've ever attended, and as such I'm nervous and elated in turns. I'm attending all three days, trusty camera by side, and hopefully I won't make too much of an ass out of myself.

Since this is also the first time that I've ever cosplayed (seriously! What kind of otaku am I?), I'm predictably scared of wearing the thing. All those straps! Those ties! Those buckles! They almost seem to menace me with a life of their own...after all, this is the girl who can barely remember to put her pants on before her shoes in the morning.

I just need a little bit of reassurance here that wearing all of that make-up and clothing (it's Sabaku no Gaara, by the way - talk about plastering the eyeliner on!) will, indeed, look cool; instead of (as I fear) looking retarded.

I'm also a girl, so I'm a little nervous about dressing as a male...not too nervous, since I can easily pass for a dude in regular clothing, but Gaara's costume does tend toward the revealing side of things. Thank the gods I didn't go as Lee...thank the gods...

To summarize: I'm nervous, I'm excited, I need to figure out how to bind my chest without the bindings showing, and I need someone to assuage my raw, teenage nerves.

*twitch*
Nothing is as easy as it looks
Everything takes longer than expected
And if anything could possibly go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.

Offline mike_was_here

• Sailor Scout
Re: I'm (Dressing As) a Monster, Rawr!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
ha ha! you sound like me when i went to my my first con, which was, Kumoricon. though, as a male, i don't have to worry about chest bindings, but i'm sure you'll pull it off no sweat. and as it has been stated continuously on these forums, con-folk are all usually friendly, welcoming, and outgoing people, so you have nothing to worry about. ;) just try not to worry about the small stuff and just concentrate on having a good time. XD
Kumo 2017 line-up:

Kakashi - Naruto
Warlock - Destiny
Android 17 - DBZ
Others TBD

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:01:35 pm »
you'll be fine, my first con I spent the whole time by myself and my lee hair was gelled down afro. I had tons of fun. im sure you'll look great.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:27:18 pm »
thats quite a costume for a first con. I like it! :3 I can't wait to see. you'll be fine with everything.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:48:11 pm »
Have no fear! Most of us felt the same way you have our first time around.
I assure you that everything will be okay  ;)
In fact, you might even love it~*
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 05:43:30 pm »
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709
This thread may become your new best friend XDD

Dont worry too much!! You will be fine and have a great time!! And if it makes you feel better, I think everyone has had these feelings (and if they are like me, then they did make a ass out of themselves at their first con XD! But dont worry, the world is forgiving, haha).
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline Dae

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:21:47 pm »
Pencil, if it was physically possible to send a glomp through text, I would.

Oh, wait, it is... *glomps Pencil*
Nothing is as easy as it looks
Everything takes longer than expected
And if anything could possibly go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.