Author Topic: Non anime cosplayers  (Read 7383 times)

Offline julietta

• Cabbit
    • Dev.Art
Non anime cosplayers
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:45:49 pm »
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if any of you are cosplaying anything non-anime? (books *especially Harry Potter or Twilight*, movies, etc)

See, I'm dragging my sister to the con, and she's not a big anime fan...She is obsessed with Harry Potter, and I just want to ask if there are any gatherings, people cosplaying, or events related to Harry Potter? D: I know this is an anime convention, and I feel stupid asking this - but still, any information would be helpful! :)
Kumoricon 2008 - Haruhi Suzumiya~

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Re: Non anime cosplayers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »
There were a few cosplayers from Harry Potter last year (my friends being two of them).

None of my cosplays this year are from anime/manga, lol.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:57:33 pm »
I know there will be a few. I remember a few people talking about it on the forum but I just can't remember where v.v

And do video games count?

oslapedo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 04:59:09 pm »
I'll probably go as Hermione for a bit, since I've got all of the stuff for such a cosplay and the naturally poofy brown hair :D

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:18:50 pm »
My wife and her cousin almost decited to go as jedi, I have been to two anime conventions(K-Con and S-con) and have seen many non anime or manga cosplayers.

Offline julietta

• Cabbit
    • Dev.Art
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »
That's good to know! Thanks guys. Although I really think we should plan a Harry Potter meetup ;)
I would also love to see any Avatar cosplayers  :D
Eee. I'm too excited.

oslapedo

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »
I'm on the Harry Potter meetup ;) I'd love to see some Avatar cosplay too. I'll probably cosplay from Avatar next year ^_^

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »
yeah theres definitely no rule about coplaying non-anime characters. i mean, i never do actually, allways videogames.

i gotta say though i really dont get the harry potter thing. its pretty much at every con all the time. and its not really related to the spirit of the con (which i think things like video games and even avatar are).  i mean dont get me wrong, i really liked the harry potter books,  i just kinda feel like its more appropriate at a more general scifi/fantacy/comic convention than it is to an anime convention.

but again, i stand by your right to wear whatever you want...i mean as long as you arent nekkid. but then i guess you wouldnt be wearing anything.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 06:25:59 pm »
I think that Harry Potter, or any other nerdy fandom has a place at any sort of con. Harry Potter is no more scif fi than it is anime, so I don't really think it matters.

I await many delightful HP festivities with fellow HP cosplayers ^_^

Offline kyletothejones

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 06:29:45 pm »
I've always thought dressing as non-animu characters as being just costumes and not "cosplay", but that doesn't make them any less awesome. The last three costumes I've made for animated manga conventions have been Hunter S. Thompson, The Vault Dweller from Fallout, and an Aperture Scientist with 2ft cubic companion cube.

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:52:02 pm »
If I can get it done I'm planning on cosplaying Magenta from Rocky Horror Picture Show one of the days. We'll see how that goes though. This will be my first time cosplaying a nonanime character, so I'm a little nervous about it, so yeah...

oslapedo

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 06:57:52 pm »
Oh MY GOSH. For cosplaying Rocky Horror you are my hero! <3

I have a really good Hogwarts hat that I'll use for my Hermione but it's all bended so it's sitting under a bucket full of clothes to flatten right now xD Yay for non-animu cosplay!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 07:06:51 pm »
Well when I get them done I will have multiple non anime costumes..

Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Arpegius from I5555 (though it is animated..so maybe that counts?)
And a pirate costume.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

oslapedo

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 07:08:54 pm »
I really want to do a pirate cosplay too. I'd like to find one of those cool white shirts with billow-y sleeves *_*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:20:53 pm by oslapedo »

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 09:54:45 pm »
This is where I bought mine, though it is black: http://www.leathermystics.com/poet_shirts/poetshirts.html
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 09:55:37 pm »
there is also a pirate store at Lloyd that has some costume stuff ^_^

oslapedo

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:35 pm »
Wow thanks so much guys! Hopefully I can scrounge up some decent pirate attire for this year's KCon.

Offline julietta

• Cabbit
    • Dev.Art
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 10:29:15 pm »
Yeees, I love pirates! There was a really good looking Jack in S-con  :-*
Everyone has their opinions, but I think generally dressing up as your fave character (anime or not) is the best. I wish I could go to Comic con and see all the Harry Potter cosplayers and such, I just don't have the money :( That's why I was wondering if people would go like that for K-con :).

oslapedo

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 10:32:33 pm »
I totally agree with you. People should cosplay as the characters they love, no matter the source!

And we shall be having much Harry Potter cosplay fun, so worry not ^_^

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:34:04 pm »
Yeees, I love pirates! There was a really good looking Jack in S-con  :-*
Everyone has their opinions, but I think generally dressing up as your fave character (anime or not) is the best. I wish I could go to Comic con and see all the Harry Potter cosplayers and such, I just don't have the money :( That's why I was wondering if people would go like that for K-con :).
I remember him. He was amazing! Speaking of which....I am watching At Worlds End right now ^_^

Offline snafu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:20 pm »
Non-anime cosplay?  Why yes, that would be something I'm doing!  Not piratical or Harry Potter-verse, but still not anime.  I'm going for Indiana Jones one of the days.

Of course, if I come across a Solid Snake (MGS) while I'm Indy, I simply have to use the phrase: "Snake.  Why did it have to be Snake?  I hate Snake!"

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 10:54:02 pm »
Dude, I love seeing non-anime cosplayers at the con.  My favorite have been Jesus, Shaun of the Dead, the Kool-Aid man, and Pac-man.  MASSIVE LUV.

I think it's hysterical.  The great thing about the con is that the whole environment is so surreal that you can really wear any bizarre/random thing you like.  I love it.  While I've stuck to anime/manga cosplay so far, I really dig the random costumes that happen.  <3
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 11:02:16 pm »
I think one of the thrills of cosplaying non-anime characters is that you're almost sure you'll be the only one of your kind. I loved cosplay Haruhi (Ouran) last year, but there was also a lot of other Haruhis running around lol.

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 07:36:44 am »
I think one of the thrills of cosplaying non-anime characters is that you're almost sure you'll be the only one of your kind.

Agreed. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what costumes to wear that would make me "stand out"...hehe. I refuse to cosplay anything from Naruto, Bleach, or Death Note...until they are unpopular, then maybe I'll  reconsider  ;)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 07:48:41 am »
Well, I really don't see Harry Potter belonging at an anime con, but that doesn't stop me from seeing cosplayers doing it every year, lol.

As for me, I will be and have been doing video game characters, so that's non-anime (but fits much better than HP if you ask me).

Also, for a different con, I am planning to cosplay as Hellboy. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:33:21 am »
Snarky Faye from Questionable Content webcomic.... It shall be fun even if no one recognizes me! Then I will be ninja Faye!
Secrety secrets!

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:58 am »
I think its fine to cosplay from books and stuff. If you look at Japanese convention they have Harry Potter cosplayers and what not. Now personally I'm not really a fan of Harry Potter, but I'd love to do a Hobbit costume one of these days XD There are also a lot of movies and such that I wouldnt mind cosplaying from. Not to mention video games.

And since no ones mentioned it yet, its always fun to see cosplay from Jdramas, or even musicians.  ;D
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 05:51:57 pm »
There are always some Harry Potter cosplayers running around.  A few is cute to see, and there are never enough for it to be annoying.  I'm personally always happy to see non-anime characters.  It just adds to the variety of the convention!  I think it works fine, since fans of anime are often fans of over things.

Offline Hitokiri Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 07:21:11 pm »
Not sure yet, but was considering bringing my Ultimate Nick Fury costume.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:29 pm »
I always think it's sorta weird when people cosplay teen titans an Harry Ptter, etc.  It's a Japanese culture festival (which includes anime, video games, manga, live action t.v. shows, etc.) but HP is neither Japanese or animated.  At least with T.T. even though I hate it and think the art is god-awful, it's animated so it's sort of in the right direction . . .

To each his own, though!  Just my two cents :)
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
    • Jailbreak Designs / Photography
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:24 pm »
I am cosplaying as Pyramid Head. He's totally not a anime character. My girlfriend is as well. I will also be cosplaying a Bear.. a random internet bear. O_O   I love seeing all the videogame cosplay as well. Chris - formally of Baka Zoku - always cosplays as Akuma from Street Fighter. :)

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

oslapedo

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:37 pm »
I always think it's sorta weird when people cosplay teen titans an Harry Ptter, etc.  It's a Japanese culture festival (which includes anime, video games, manga, live action t.v. shows, etc.) but HP is neither Japanese or animated.  At least with T.T. even though I hate it and think the art is god-awful, it's animated so it's sort of in the right direction . . .

I respect that opinion :) However I don't know if a "Book" convention exists, one where you would cosplay exclusively from books, so that's probably why the book cosplays cross over into anime cons.

Besides even at things like Comic Con you have anime cosplayers, I think it's great because no matter what you're dressed up as you still share the fiery passion of nerdom :D

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 12:39:39 am »
To me if its nerdy in some way its cool.

oslapedo

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 12:42:47 am »
I think nerdliness is next to godliness ;D

Offline Raidy

• Cabbit
    • Myspace!
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:29 am »
If I can get it done I'm planning on cosplaying Magenta from Rocky Horror Picture Show one of the days. We'll see how that goes though. This will be my first time cosplaying a nonanime character, so I'm a little nervous about it, so yeah...

O: Magenta, eh? That will be awesome if you do manage it. There's a -lot- of Rocky Horror Picture Show fans up in that area... I wonder if there will be a lot of fans at the con? Anyways if you go as her you should let me know since I'm taking my friend and that is here like, utmost favorite movie of all time. XD

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 07:20:55 am »

O: Magenta, eh? That will be awesome if you do manage it. There's a -lot- of Rocky Horror Picture Show fans up in that area... I wonder if there will be a lot of fans at the con? Anyways if you go as her you should let me know since I'm taking my friend and that is here like, utmost favorite movie of all time. XD

Hehe ok. Unfortunately that costume is coming along better than my manga based costume, ah well.

I see where your coming from. To me it's a matter of money and time. The Scif-fi con in Seattle is always like the weekend before or after Sakura Con, so I have to weight which one's more important. I really can't afford to spend that much money and take that much time off of work to attend  :). Although this year I might skip Sakura con for something new...but then I would probably end up cosplaying an anime character  ;)

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:24 am »
I am cosplaying as Pyramid Head. He's totally not a anime character. My girlfriend is as well. I will also be cosplaying a Bear.. a random internet bear. O_O   I love seeing all the videogame cosplay as well. Chris - formally of Baka Zoku - always cosplays as Akuma from Street Fighter. :)

Silent Hill = Japanese game
Street Fighter = Japanese game

That's why I cosplay the Silent Hill Demon Nurse.  Still Japanese ;)

I hope to see you as PH!

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:15 am »

I hope to see you as PH!

I see you every year :D
you were femhead last year, right?

Yeh I hope to see you again and my girlfriend will be female pyramid head this year too! Yay for evil!

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

I hope to see you as PH!

I see you every year :D
you were femhead last year, right?

Yeh I hope to see you again and my girlfriend will be female pyramid head this year too! Yay for evil!

I was not :)  I am always just a Demon Nurse from 3.  My friend cosplayed as James last year.  We're hoping to toss together a boxer shorts Douglas this year XD

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 02:26:04 am »
I will also be cosplaying a Bear.. a random internet bear. O_O 

? ? ? ? ?

Also, I realized just the other day that I have a strong desire to cosplay The Baroness from G.I. Joe someday.
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 11:21:55 am »

? ? ? ? ?

Also, I realized just the other day that I have a strong desire to cosplay The Baroness from G.I. Joe someday.

O_O

is.. that the.. infamous running bear? Hmm.. strange.

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 03:32:40 pm »
You can't really say video games don't belong at an anime convention. More than half of all RPGs have character art in the anime style, then games like Arcana Heart and Darkstalkers (fighting games), Monster Rancher EVO (pet sim), and Kirby (platform). They've all spawned manga or anime. Not to mention 90% of all video game companies are based in Japan.
Plus, at a "strictly anime/manga" convention, you'd have a lot less people due to lack of Zelda and Kingdom Hearts fans.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 03:36:40 pm »
I wouldn't say a video game isn't allowed but I wouldn't consider it anime....unless it was one of the few that has an anime or manga after it....and btw Kingdom Hearts does have a manga so it could be at an anime convention even if it were only anime/manga.

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 06:01:56 pm »

I am trying to get my girlfriend to cosplay Pythona and me as Nemesis Enforcer from the G I Joe movie

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 08:45:59 pm »
I wouldn't say a video game isn't allowed but I wouldn't consider it anime....unless it was one of the few that has an anime or manga after it....and btw Kingdom Hearts does have a manga so it could be at an anime convention even if it were only anime/manga.
Yeah, yeah. Chicken and the egg.
Disgaea, Wild ARMS, Street Fighter and almost any CAPCOM fighter, Toshinden, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury (lots of fighting games >.>), Final Fantasy, Pokemon(?), Kirby.
I think I play too many games. Zelda WAS an american cartoon back in the day I guess.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2008, 12:06:46 pm »
You can't really say video games don't belong at an anime convention. More than half of all RPGs have character art in the anime style, then games like Arcana Heart and Darkstalkers (fighting games), Monster Rancher EVO (pet sim), and Kirby (platform). They've all spawned manga or anime. Not to mention 90% of all video game companies are based in Japan.
Plus, at a "strictly anime/manga" convention, you'd have a lot less people due to lack of Zelda and Kingdom Hearts fans.

I'd say if it's Japanese, it's a go, since it's a Japanese culture festival.  That's why there are occasional Ringu well girls XD