Author Topic: Colored Contacts Help  (Read 18480 times)

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
Colored Contacts Help
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »
     - - i'm quite curious about this topic, which is why i've started this topic n__n; ! i've never worn contacts before, or purchased them of course . i'm just curious about where most people doing cosplay buy them from, and are they worth the trouble ?

x; are they really quite expensive as well ? & what kind do you normally buy for cosplay, how long should they last etc. ?

a l s o ; i'll be cosplaying kairi ( duh statement ) so if i do get contacts, what color should i aim for with her blue/purple eyes ? should i go for contacts that look most natural or just ones that match her eyes the best and you can really tell they're fake xD; ?

x;thanks in advance .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:01:04 am by KairiLee »

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
Re: Colored Contacts Help
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:59:17 pm »
Yes! finally a topic I can do the first helping out thing! 030
Well first of all I buy my contacts from here http://exoticlenses.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=58995663139f9d50418dd1f4be0d0fc0 I've bought blue contacts from their booth at S-con and they were 40 bucks (though some are more expensive), and just recently bought green ones from the site.
These contacts will last you about a year, and that's if you wear them EVERY day and take care of them.
I had to buy solution and a container seperately though.
As for the Kairi suggestion I'd have to look her up and get a better look at her eyes, I can't think of the right shade at the top of myhead, but I'll look.
That site has a pretty good selection though.
Cosplays 09:
Sebastian Michaelis-kuroshitsujiKarren-code geass

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:00:57 pm »
Well I was looking online at one site and they were like $90 for a set. http://www.customcontacts.com/contacts/cosmetic-lenses.html You can check out this site. I just searched colored contacts in Google. I really don't think it's worth it. If you aren't used to them they are really uncomfortable. I wear them normally so I am used to it. Kairi really doesn't have anything very noticeable about her eyes. If you were being Itachi I may say it would help to have them.

Then again I have always had very unique eye color.

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:05:27 pm »
We all have our days with contacts.
Yesterday I wanted to put it my blue contacts, and my eyes were COMPLETELY rejecting them! (I might have put them in wrong though) there are also days when they are comfy and my eyes feel weird WITHOUT them.
But hey, it's different for different people. <(^.^)>
Cosplays 09:

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:08:09 pm »
With a lot of my friends who don't wear contacts they don't even like putting their finger anywhere near their eye so it is all about preference. I would almost suggest trying them on sometime before buying them, that way you wont waste $40 or more on contact that your eyes don't like.

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:25:52 pm »
- - thanks both of you, responding so quickly to my post n__n ! i'll check out both of the sites & keep what you said in mind . i don't have a problem touching my eyes or anything so i think i would be pretty much okay if i decided to go for the contacts .

x; & yes maybe her eyes aren't v e r y unique or special but i'd like to make my cosplay as real as possible . i think her eye color is pretty though so well heres a picture .

- - her eyes are normally shown blue in the game but in offical artwork they have a violet tinge to them, you can see it a bit around the outside of the blue . i also wonder if they sell contacts with the ring around the inside of the pupil of the eye that is common in square enix characters .

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
I really like her eyes. If you don't have any problem with touching your eyes then it should be fine. Because I need contacts anyway I can get color ones through my insurance so it is really nice. I got green ones before (I have light blue sea/foam green eyes) but I could always see a green circle around the edges of my vision and it really bothered me.

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:38:04 pm »
     - - n__n eheh i do too . yep i'm good with that, i touch my eyes every once in awhile to freak out my friend who can't stand the thought of anything near her eyes x3; ! oh thats so lucky, almost makes me wish i need contacts really owo , that color sounds really pretty ~ hmm i wonder if thats common with colored contacts ? a shame if it is . . . i'd get really frustrated if mine did that, start yelling at myself most likely xD . i think i'll try and go for contacts though now n__n , if i can raise the money that is & find a color that matches well .

x; if anyone finds colored contacts close to the picture above, or ever a bit bluer would be fine, please post the link here : D !

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:55:10 pm »
I get mine at a Mexican Flea market for 20$. They last a year or so if you take care of them.
If you have a flea market near you, chances are they'll carry colored contacts.
It's not nearly as shady or dangerous as it sounds; I've used multiple different colored contacts from them for about a year now, and when you buy them they're sealed closed so tight you have to pry them open.
So they're safe, my eyes are just fine.
They're a lot cheaper then buying them online, too.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:57:37 pm »
I get mine at a Mexican Flea market for 20$. They last a year or so if you take care of them.
If you have a flea market near you, chances are they'll carry colored contacts.
It's not nearly as shady or dangerous as it sounds; I've used multiple different colored contacts from them for about a year now, and when you buy them they're sealed closed so tight you have to pry them open.
So they're safe, my eyes are just fine.
They're a lot cheaper then buying them online, too.

Do you have a market you suggest? I don't know where I would begin to look for a mexican flea market. I need gold contacts for my Azul costume. I checked out that site that Sekitan linked to and within a few minutes I found what I needed, the price is not that bad either. But, I am always willing to look elsewhere also.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Delphi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:21 pm »
I'd make sure to get checked out by a doctor first. You can do serious damage to your eyes if you don't know what you're doing. I know it sounds stupid and overblown but even after wearing contacts for about four years at the time I accidentally hurt my eyes when I was 16 because of my contacts. Fortunately it wasn't permanent damage. I blame it on being careless. Also, there are a lot of places that just plain won't sell you contacts unless a prescription is faxed to them.

On another note, at least at my eye doctor's, you can buy boxes of colored contacts at a discounted price from them and some will even let you try out a zero powered lens as long as you don't go through a million of them. Unless it's a color my eye doctor doesn't have, I usually don't buy anywhere else. And considering how many brown eyed characters I have, it's a heck of a lot cheaper especially when insurance is factored in (I'm legally blind without contacts).
Unable to come this year. Sorry guys...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »
Yeah like Delphi said you can try on color contacts at an eye doctor, preferably your own. That will give you an idea of how it will look and how it will feel. They might even be able to give you zero prescription ones. They usually let you keep the sample (of course I was getting contacts so maybe that was only for a customer).

Offline dakiro

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 02:49:14 am »
i was planning on improving ichigo cosplay from last year so i was going to to replace the sunglass lens in the mask for a contact. the sunglass lens was a shade of orange but when a picture was taken it came out black (i noticed this after the fact >>) so i want to be a little more accurate this way. any way i found a site someone suggested but its like $360 for a pair O_o and was wondering if their any other less expensive places

ex: http://www.cosplaylab.com/proshop/contactlens.asp?id=269
formally dakrum
THE anime list

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 08:41:44 am »
Well contacts that change the color of your whole eye are going to be expensive. You might be able to find them cheaper some where else but they will still be in the hundreds if not really close to it. At least I haven't found anywhere that sells them for cheap.

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »
     - - i just found a site that seems promising & the contacts are at a really good price . they have lots of categories so it might be worth checking out, they're offering the best blue eyed contacts i've found so far .

link: http://www.colorlens4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »
      p . s . i was thinking about going with either this color :

blue 2 : http://www.colorlens4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9

or this color ;

blue 3 : http://www.colorlens4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=16

for my kairi cosplay .
which do you think is better n__n ?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:05 pm »
I like the first one Blue 2.

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 07:44:37 pm »
    - - thats the one i'm leaning towards on getting as well :3 ~

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 07:46:55 pm »
Don't forget that they might not be that actual color on your own eyes.
Depending on what color eyes you have, they might be darker.

Some contacts are also made for lighter eyes, as well as darker eyes.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 08:15:02 pm »
    - - ahh i know, but since on the girl modeling the contacts, her eyes are originally brown ( i'm assuming since she's asian ), and my eyes are brown, i figured that it would end up being very similar to the color on the model .

x; i wanted those first ones, blue 2, to be a bit darker anyways .

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 08:28:22 pm »
I like blue 2 better. If I were going to get any color contacts it would be ice blue color. My eyes would be like BAM!

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:17 pm »
My mom's boyfriend came up to me today and moved his contact away from his eye to show me, and I was  freaking out.
his contacts were really well made and actually looked real, and I'd never even noticed, but he said he's been wearing contacts for twenty years O__O
Cosplays 09:

Offline dakiro

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 02:37:22 am »
yay for actually getting of my ass and looking around = http://www.badgersden.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=539
formally dakrum
THE anime list

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:30 am »
Wow.
Pricey.
I saw a booth at Sakuracon selling contacts. I think they had full contacts like that for a LOT cheaper.
They had a website, but I can't remember what it was.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 10:10:55 am »
Those are really expensive. I would never pay more for contacts then I did on the whole costume. Just like it is hard for me to pay the same price or more for shipping and handling.

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 07:51:26 pm »
I'm getting red contacts for my cosplay(like duh) I've used contacts before, but I was wondering if anyone actually bought lenses from  colorlens4less.com...because the website seemed slightly fishy, because the create user login was unsecured... I'd like to buy them from here because their the best price I could find...but I'd like to know if anyone has actually delt with them.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:52:41 pm by Oniyukai »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 07:55:51 pm »
I want red contacts but I don't want to pay too much. I think the cheapest I found was $50. Does anyone know any place cheaper or am I out of luck?

Offline mike_was_here

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 01:09:05 am »
mmm... the place i got my contacts from was www.9mmsfx.com.
INCREDIBLY expensive, but they look amazing.

Pein cosplay with contacts:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w78/twilight_incarnate/pein.jpg

they have alot of anime lenses (well.. mostly Naruto), but even if you don't plan to buy any from there, it's interesting to look at. XD
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:21:52 am by mike_was_here »
Kumo 2017 line-up:

Kakashi - Naruto
Warlock - Destiny
Android 17 - DBZ
Others TBD

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 11:36:18 am »
      p . s . i was thinking about going with either this color :

blue 2 : http://www.colorlens4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9

or this color ;

blue 3 : http://www.colorlens4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=16

for my kairi cosplay .
which do you think is better n__n ?

umm...did you notice that this site is based in hong kong?
i mean theres nothing wrong with that other than they might not get here in time.

i remember when i got my red contacts (i have no idea where they are anymore...gone.) they were from a canadian based site. Both not that far away (i think it was in vancouver) and technically you arent allowed to buy contacts without a prescription in the us, but on the internet no one cares where youre from...or who you are alot of the time. like back in the day when a friend of mine bought wine online from skywalker ranch when we were like 19.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 02:00:35 am »
Ah, I've looked at 9mmfsx before. They've got incredibly good quality and the reason I've looked there is because they do customs for astigmatism... but it's so expensive and I don't have that money now.

Thus leads to my question. I have given up trying to find colored contacts for astigmatism that are within my current price range. So, what do you guys think of someone with astigmatism wearing regular colored/theatrical contacts? Anyone with some opinion on that? Or possibly experience? I would really like to wear them, and I've worn contacts before (however, those were made for astigmatism), and I'd only wear them for conventions.

Do you think this would possibly harm my eyes? Or, heaven forbid, not fit right because of the astigmatism?

Thanks much for your help! =)
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 11:32:47 am »
Well, I have an appointment at the optometrist to get fitted for colored lenses tomorrow afternoon.
I've never worn contacts, since my vision is fine.
However, I opted for vision insurance to be included in my benefits package at work just to see if I could use it for non-prescription colored lenses and glasses.  (For costuming as well as fun.)
So now I'm testing that out for the first time! 
I am going for the FreshLook colored lenses, probably in honey or hazel.

When I made the appointment, I told them that I had perfect vision and wanted to get them for cosmetic purposes, but they said that my VSP insurance should still cover at least part of it.

I'll post here after the appointment to let you all know how it went!

I think I'll be fine with them, since I have no problems touching my eyes. *rubs finger across eyeball*  XP
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:06 pm »
Ah, I've looked at 9mmfsx before. They've got incredibly good quality and the reason I've looked there is because they do customs for astigmatism... but it's so expensive and I don't have that money now.

Thus leads to my question. I have given up trying to find colored contacts for astigmatism that are within my current price range. So, what do you guys think of someone with astigmatism wearing regular colored/theatrical contacts? Anyone with some opinion on that? Or possibly experience? I would really like to wear them, and I've worn contacts before (however, those were made for astigmatism), and I'd only wear them for conventions.

Do you think this would possibly harm my eyes? Or, heaven forbid, not fit right because of the astigmatism?

Thanks much for your help! =)

i have a slight astigmatism and have worn colored contacts in the past.

one pair i got from my doctor for fun, they were just tinters, but since my eyes are a pretty bright blue they made my eyes this kinda lime green. and those were totally comfortable.

the other pair i got some time later for my hsien ko cosplay a couple years back.  they weren't prescription (i didn't think about it since my prescription is pretty weak anyway). and frankly they were really uncomfortable. they made my eyes kinda itchy when i had them in, kinda dry (but it was ok as soon as i took them out). i dont know if it was the just the quality ( i think i paid 75ish for the pair) or for some reason the color, or because of the astigmatism.

i dunno just putting that out there.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 08:19:43 pm »
umm...did you notice that this site is based in hong kong?
i mean theres nothing wrong with that other than they might not get here in time.

i remember when i got my red contacts (i have no idea where they are anymore...gone.) they were from a canadian based site. Both not that far away (i think it was in vancouver) and technically you arent allowed to buy contacts without a prescription in the us, but on the internet no one cares where youre from...or who you are alot of the time. like back in the day when a friend of mine bought wine online from skywalker ranch when we were like 19.

- - well i decided to skip on the contacts this year since i'm brokeeee now =w=; !
but thanks for pointing that out o__o; ! if i do decide to ever wear contacts in the future though i'm gunna go to my mom's optometrist & see what the whole deal is , then see what i can get around here before ordering online .

x; i thought this thread had died kekeke >w> .

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »
So I went to the optometrist today to get my colored contacts!
I've never had an eye exam before, so this was all pretty new to me.  I told them that I wanted colored contacts and I didn't need them for vision correction.
So, the whole process took about 2 hours, lots of vision tests, and the optometrist confirmed that I have better than 20/20 vision and don't need a powered lens. 

She then asked what kind of colored contacts I was looking for and I mentioned that I was interested in the Fresh Look contacts, since I'd read about them and was familiar with the colors they offered.  I told her I was looking for a hazel-y color, something as yellow as they had, and the one that makes the color pop out the most, and I mentioned that I had liked the look of their "Honey" color.
She brought a trial lens in Honey and also one of Accuvue's similar-colored lens, I think it's also called honey. 

When she took me to a room to try putting them in, they had dilated my pupils and things were pretty blurry up close, so it was really hard for me to see the lens on my fingertip when I tried to put it in.  ^^; 
She asked me how comfortable I was with touching my eyes, and I said it didn't bother me at all, which is good in this case, because it took a few trys poking around to get it in right.

Once I got the lens in, I was like, :D!!  My reflection was pretty blurry, but it made a dramatic difference against my regular blue eye (which right then was 97% black from pupil dilation!!)
The Accuvue lens was more subtle, not what I was looking for, and the Fresh Look lens was a better fit for my eye as well.

Once I had it in, it felt pretty natural!  Sometimes when I put them in, they cause me to tear up a bit, but then they're pretty comfortable.  I'm pretty excited about them.  It'll be really fun to wear them to work and have people go, "something about you is different..." and try to figure it out.  Haha!  Or show up to hang out with my friends and have them go, "waitaminute..." *STARE*

I only got to take my trial lenses home today, as they're ordering the regular ones in for me.  The bummer with the trial ones is that a part of the color is missing from the lens and it says "DEMO" or "TRIAL" on it.  Depending on which way you put them in, it's not terribly noticable, but I'll have the regular ones before I start wearing them out.

Also, upon leaving the office, my pupils were freakin' GI-NORMOUS.  Yeah, that's right.  I said GI-NORMOUS.
I went to check out this new-ish sushi place down the street, and I always feel rude/weird talking to people while wearing sunglasses, so I took them off when I was ordering, and I'm all squinting to look at my receipt, and the guy's looking at my eyes, and I'm like, "oh, I just came from the optometrist, LULZ."  And he was like, "I know, rite, LOL."  (...except not really, no one talks like that, but I'd laugh or maybe cry if they did)

So anyway, HUGE pupils last about 4 hours.  My mom didn't even notice with my sunglasses on.  I put the contacts on, put on my sunglasses, went over to my little brother and said, "hey man,"  then I flipped the glasses up to show him my eyes and he goes:
....*looks*
!!!HOLY CRAP!  That's cool!!!   ;D

With my VSP insurance, I paid only a $10 co-pay for the office visit.  I'm not sure yet what the pricing will be for the contacts themselves, or if those are covered as well.

Also, the optometrist told me that I was the easiest contact lens-fitting she'd had.  So I can't guarantee the experience will be as fun/simple as it was for me for any of you guys.  Just depends on how comfortable you are with touching your eyes, how eager you are to do it, how upbeat, and "I can do this no problem!" you are.  (I always think like that ^^;) and I guess how agreeable and trusting you are of your eye doctor.
For me it was a pretty cool experience!

I'll post some pics I took with the trial lenses!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:56:10 pm by misamisa »
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 12:46:06 am »
PS-

So on your left, is the Fresh Look "Honey" colored contact.  It's a trial pair, which cuts the color out of one edge, so you can see a bit of my blue peeking through on the upper right edge.

On your right, is my normal eye, except, again, HUGE pupil action goin' on there.

:D

A couple other things--- if you go in for an eye exam, don't wear any eye makeup.  It could get messed up or in the way or all up in your eye.  I'm glad I thought of this beforehand, and wore no makeup.

Also, bring sunglasses, because your eyes will be way light-sensitive after if they dilate your pupils, and they provide you with some sexy paper sunglasses that look like the cool "3-D" glasses you might find in some kids' book.  Not very stylish.

I was going to say something else, but I forgot.  XD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:47:17 am by misamisa »

Offline KairiLee

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 08:03:24 pm »
^ - - that's iNTENSE .

x; now i wish i had gotten some ;w; !
but there's always next year so >w> ~

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 01:46:36 pm »
as some one who wears contacts normaly and is also cossplaying as kairi i would say you probelly dont need them. not many people notice them that much unless its like an itachi cossplay or somethin like that D:

and personally not everyone can wear them, for example i talked to my docter when i was first getting mine a year ago about colored conacts and they dont come in my perscription. (in fact it was hard to get normal contacts for me cause my eyes are so weird, stupid istigmatisum) so i cant wear them unless i wanna wear my glasses around all day.

and eyes (thats whati call contacts) can be hard to put on sometimes too if your not used to it, after the first few times it gets easy but if you do get them practice a bit before the con so you know you can take them out properly.
and you are recomended not to sleep with them (ok i do but only cause i hate putting my eyes in and out cause im blind as a bat >.>)
but if you want to then i guess wear them around for a few days to get used to the feel of them, some breath REALLY well (like mine) others dont so they feel dry constantly.

and buy good solution if you get them. not the crappy stuff. AND DO NOT USE TAPWATER! it stings o.x (mine fell out at school and i had to use tap watar to get them wet again and it stung so bad.....) if for some reason you lose your solution one night just sleep with them, they might move in the night but after a shower and a few mornin activitys they go back into place.

well thats my rant. good luck on finding some good ones if you decided to go through with it.
returning with a vengeance to K con~