Author Topic: Reorganize the forums?  (Read 10021 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« on: April 14, 2006, 11:03:02 pm »
Help me out. Should we reorganize the forums, especially the events forums? I wonder how much of our programming gets the short end of the stick with the current organization. Are there any areas that are being left out? What are some good ways to resolve this without creating a bajillion forums that may only get one or two topics posted in them? Do you have any ideas for a good scheme that encompasses convention life well?

And I am very open to any creative and new ideas for the organization of the community forums too. Any suggestions? Do you like the Posting Games forum? Does it help keep the General Discussion conversation on-topic? What other specific forums for discussion could we add that would greatly enrich this place? An underwater basket-weaving forum?

I want your input!
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:43:42 am »
underwater basket weaving, cute.  so far I haven't had much trouble navigating the forums the way they are, and I do agree that keeping a certain thread or two has helped keep the silliness out of the general discussion arena
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 08:07:26 am »
Splitting the game forum into a game forum (video game) and game forum (table top game) might be useful as the posts tend to stack up pretty quick

more ideas to come as I wake up
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 09:02:40 am »
The only thing I could think of was maybe like an "anime news" forum.  Somewhere we could post little articles we find online/in the paper relating to anime like release dates, upcoming series, general anime news, etc.  Game news would also be accepted.  The only thing I'm unsure about with that is I don't think many people post those kinds of threads.

Other than that I haven't had any trouble with the forum the way it is.  Although I wouldn't mind it if you did change something.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 01:15:29 pm »
Just go ahead and everyone inundate me with your ideas. (Try not to get off-topic though.) I'll filter and try stuff out.

I can split up gaming if the volume is too high, and if it doesn't work out I can always merge them again.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 01:18:23 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
The only thing I'm unsure about with that is I don't think many people post those kinds of threads.

My thinking is that if you build it they will come. If there is an Anime News forum, you guys will make use of it.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 01:47:22 pm »
I think every metro area and every club should have it's own thread even if not sticky or official it should be encouraged.  Some of the off topic post are peaple in the same city or club filling the thread with personal messages and comments that are are almost PM's but posted openingly in case another peason in the area wants to join in.  Ever big city area (Portland, Eugene, Salem, Bend (Inclduding every town east of the cascades)) should have a thread for ware to get stuff and whats going on, and one to fill up with hey lets get together type messages.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 01:56:48 pm »
Quote from: "Vondan"
I think every metro area and every club should have it's own thread even if not sticky or official it should be encouraged.  Some of the off topic post are peaple in the same city or club filling the thread with personal messages and comments that are are almost PM's but posted openingly in case another peason in the area wants to join in.  Ever big city area (Portland, Eugene, Salem, Bend (Inclduding every town east of the cascades)) should have a thread for ware to get stuff and whats going on, and one to fill up with hey lets get together type messages.

If they can maintain it, that's sort of what Get Involved is for, and anyone can create one of those, or several. Old threads that don't get a response in 90 days gets locked though.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 06:04:05 pm »
I like the forums but I agree that we need an News section, General seems to get clogged with game release and anime news.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 09:50:52 pm »
a general programming that's non-staff to announce events that arent specific, talk to non staff panelists, ect. If nothing else it would help me because for a lot of stuff Im not entirely sure where to put it.

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 04:30:34 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
Splitting the game forum into a game forum (video game) and game forum (table top game) might be useful as the posts tend to stack up pretty quick

more ideas to come as I wake up

I'm not sure about this one, threads are getting locked (automatic 90-day timeout) long before they even get off the front page. I'm thinking more along the lines of programming content that we're leaving out.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:44:17 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
The only thing I could think of was maybe like an "anime news" forum.  Somewhere we could post little articles we find online/in the paper relating to anime like release dates, upcoming series, general anime news, etc.  Game news would also be accepted.  The only thing I'm unsure about with that is I don't think many people post those kinds of threads.

Other than that I haven't had any trouble with the forum the way it is.  Although I wouldn't mind it if you did change something.

Hopefully this doesn't bug a lot of people, that they have to step out of General to read these. But feel free to fill up the new forum!
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 05:00:18 pm »
Quote from: "Nyco27"
a general programming that's non-staff to announce events that arent specific, talk to non staff panelists, ect. If nothing else it would help me because for a lot of stuff Im not entirely sure where to put it.

Nyco

Can you email me a list of what events we are slated to have this year and I will see what other forums I can create in Convention Events. Is that what you have in mind? Currently the only new forums for that area I can think of might be Panels/misc.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 09:56:18 pm »
Panels area is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline MEDIC!!!

• Sailor Scout
    • FBook
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:46:54 am »
instead of doing new forums
how about taking down old topics
that should lighten the load on the servers

by old topics i mean like this one
Goggle Squad Fangirl Club
this was posted Wed Nov 02, 2005
in the spam forum

i say take anything that doesnt have
any activity after 6 months

it workd for my forum while i was admining
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 G37 L41D
Liquid Snake: There's A Killer Inside You
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Boom Baby Boom! I'm The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 07:21:33 pm »
I'd rather keep the old topics. It's a nice history that people can look back on. It isn't causing a problem for server load. Our shared host has something like 30 accounts on this server, many of which probably have applications like forums running. :)
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Re: Reorganize the forums?
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 09:06:21 am »
What's your opinion of the Cosplay Chat forum? I've noticed it has a lot of volume, maybe that's just because we have a ton of cosplayers, but I wanted to ask if anyone thinks that forum is getting used for more than one type of thing that we could possibly split up. Ideas?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 09:51:22 am »
Well, it looks like (and this may just be because the Con is so close) the Cosplay Chat forum is being used for two things: arranging meet-ups and getting advice. I'd say the Cosplay Chat forum could be split into tow sub-categories for those areas, meet-ups and cosplay advice.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 09:36:08 pm »
Programming and Publicity sort of have the majority of what I'd call 'Technical Staff'.  That is, those of extremely strong, if somewhat specialized electronics backgrounds and interests.  Coordinating "Technical Solutions" without a shared area for discussion can lead to confusion, efforts in incorrect areas, duplicated and under-staffed projects, and solutions that don't quite hit the mark due to lack of input.

What I see is a possible need for a Technical Solutions board under Behind the Scenes.

Typical users of that board would include any Technical Staff, who'd help iron out problem definitions and work on the actual solutions, and any department with a technical need. The registration and infodesk subunits of Operations especially, but operations in general would tend to be more on the technical solution user side of things.

Within the board topics would include things that are obvious solution needs... "Digital Registration System", "Online Event Scheduling System" (Altering and improving the online system we were trying to use this year, and the added-on live schedule viewer.  They're close enough to get the job done, but I can already think of a few areas to try improving), "Event Recording methods and publication options discussion".  However any department with a problem that could possibly be solved using computers or A/V related equipment could also use the area to brainstorm the scope of the problem and look at solutions for it.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 09:22:52 pm »
I have a suggestion. It may have come up already but I don't feel like reading through all the posts. You might consider redoing the forums if you can to make it more user friendly. I get confused trying to find certain buttons and stuff. Maybe I'm just a stupid weeaboo n00b but I think modeling these forums to be a little more like the Sakuracon forums would be good. You should make it so it's blatenly obvious what each button does. Maybe replace the icons with buttons that have text in them (Like, Contact this user, PM this user, etc.) Just throwin' it out there.....don't hurt me......
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:38 pm »
I have a suggestion. It may have come up already but I don't feel like reading through all the posts. You might consider redoing the forums if you can to make it more user friendly. I get confused trying to find certain buttons and stuff. Maybe I'm just a stupid weeaboo n00b but I think modeling these forums to be a little more like the Sakuracon forums would be good. You should make it so it's blatenly obvious what each button does. Maybe replace the icons with buttons that have text in them (Like, Contact this user, PM this user, etc.) Just throwin' it out there.....don't hurt me......

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but as a veteran of MANY online forums/communities: THE SAKURA-CON BOARDS ARE NOT USER FRIENDLY! THEY SUCK!

Now let me explain myself: Almost nothing is organized. There are a lot of sections, but it's hard to find where to put a spicific post. Also with the phpBB forums every time you make an "Forum Announcement" it appears at the top of all of the boards and makes it not fun to find the post you're looking for.

phpBB in it self is also a HARBLE system for any forum. It's now old and outdated, we used to use it here. SMF (Simple Machine Forums) makes it very easy to find everything and has a lot more functionality! And it makes Admin's job's a LOT more simple.

But that's just my two cents...
I agree I tried the S-con forums and within 5 min I came back here.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 12:44:17 am »
I think modeling these forums to be a little more like the Sakuracon forums would be good.

Sakuracon forums should be more like these forums.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 02:28:24 am »
Obviously nobody really read and understood my post. I didn't mean change the organization, I guess I posted on the wrong thread, or you guys are just too eager to tear apart suggestions. Either way, what I meant was to change the GUI (Graphical User Interface for those of you who don't know, it means buttons and crap) to make it more obvious what each button does. Possibly make them bigger and more noticable.  I agree that these forums are organized better that the Sakuracon ones, as is everything else about Kumoricon, I just think the GUI for the SC forums is better. Try reading and completely understanding what I'm saying before you start to completely rid apart my suggestion guys, seriously. :-\

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 10:42:31 am »
Note, on my Mac, Safari doesn't pull up any mouse overs on this page.  :-\
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 02:06:17 am »
Meh, whatever, I probably just need to get used to these forums again. To each his own I guess :P

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:53 am »
Make an AMV section.

That is all.