Author Topic: HELP! Gathering supplies for next year!  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
HELP! Gathering supplies for next year!
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:40 pm »
I know it's early, con hasn't even been over for a month. But I need to start soon, seeing as I have Wedding!Yuna for next year to make. And, if I find some way to go, Uzumaki Kashino and Pride!Ed to SakuraCon. But that's another story.

This is about Yuna. So enough about me, let's talk about my dress. (Get the quote and you are awarded one internetz)

I plan to enter this into the cosplay contest as well as make it a fully-functional wedding dress. Why? Because I can. =^0^=
pics of dress:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/yuna%20wedding/silverdragonskies/yuna.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/yuna%20wedding/kewford/YUNAWEDDINGDRESSDESIGNCOMPUTER.jpg

This is what I need:
Approx. 20 or so yards of white fabric
High-heeled white shoes, close-toed
White knee-length socks (solid white, but not like the kind you'd wear to school)
White gloves
A 12ft by 12ft piece of sheer/see-through fabric (or close to that)
Wedding tiara thingy
ten pounds of feathers
Approx. 5 yards of lace (to line the skirt)
A spool of chicken wire
Five yards of muslin
Fabric-safe glue
Yuna's necklace (It looks like a tiny, tiny little bell thingy)
Four white feather boas (line skirt and centerish of wings
Three bouquets of reddish and yellowish flowers for wings and wedding bouquet
One yard or so of fake ivy (for wedding bouquet)
A lot of interfacing for the top part
Probably about 2 yards of covered boning
Possibly a pattern close to the dress that I can alter

Then I will also be making her Ultimate Weapon, the Nirvana: (cosplayer who made one... it's hard to find a close-up of it http://media.photobucket.com/image/yuna%20nirvana/TheHistoryFollower/Dragoncon2006/DragonCon06045.jpg)
A lot of craft foam
Red, gold, orange, green, and yellow 3D fabric paint
Posterboard
White school glue
Fabric Glue
Rub-n-Buff
Acrylic Craft Paint
Three-foot tall cylindrical piece of wood, about an inch thick
Blue paint (for the wooden staff part)
A red rope (for the bow)

Other Miscellaneous items:
One green contact (I have blue eyes, and Yuna has one blue and one green)

(btw, her shoes are NOT boots. Closer inspection of the game and scenes reveal it to be matching white shoes and socks that give the illusion of boots. Also, Yuna is wearing no earrings during the wedding scene. Her ears are not pierced at any point. Also, on another note, I'm going to try to convince a friend of mine to be Valefor.)

NOW ON TO WHAT I NEED!

Help finding pieces for cheap and help locating deals on stuff. ^^ And how to go about aquiring most of it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:27:57 pm by Mitsukai Mizu Amaya »
KumoriCon 2012

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: HELP! Gathering supplies for next year!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:26:28 pm »
wow. that is quite intricate and I warn you it will probably get really dirty.

well you've probably heard thrift stores are the way to go a lot. its true they are. you could find something that could work for part of your costume and then you just alter it. and right now since it's halloween time thrift stores have tons of stuff that would work for your costume. I'd say good will or value village are good for cheap costume stuff.

Everything else I guess could be found at craft stores. I'm not that good at giving people totally really good info. just advice I guess. :/ If I were with you I could find you awesome deals.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:46:23 pm »
TWENTY? o_o

Er... *hopes that was a joke*
Really, you could get away with 7. Most likely much less; 5 or 6. o-o

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:57:34 pm »
Not for a fully-functional wedding dress with a five-foot train like Yuna's. If you saw me this year, I was Queen Garnet. That costume took 12 yards of fabric, and this is fans out more and is longer. Also lining as well. 20 yards is a MINIMUM. XD

So, no, not kidding.

Also, it's all one dress, not in peices, so the pieces of must be cut out of a long piece of fabric. If the train is five feet, and I am five foot-four, then once I finish the dress and lay it out on the ground and measure, it would be about 9 to nine and a half feet long.

Oh, thanks for sggesting thrift stores. I hadn't though of those!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:58:30 pm by Mitsukai Mizu Amaya »
KumoriCon 2012

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:13:12 pm »
Come down to LA and go to the fabric district. :3

I'm actually semi-serious about that.  Finding someplace like that, when you're looking for this much fabric, is an excellent tactic, because high yardage gives you the flexibility to bargain.  You could also look to see if you can get by-the-bolt discounts, or scope out online fabric retailers -- they sometimes have good sales.  Denver Fabrics, Fabric.com, and Dharma Trading Company are all places off the top of my head -- the last doesn't do sales, but it does sell undyed fabric, and that's usable for this.

Craft store coupons will probably stand you in excellent stead on this, especially if you have time to acquire things -- and for Michael's, at least, they sometimes send out digital ones which you can use once a day in the specified time period.  Buy something each time a coupon comes out, etc.  eBay can also be surprisingly good if you're lucky.  I go to Sock Dreams for a lot of my cosplay hosiery (and day to day socks, because they're fun), and I know they have high white stockings of various types.  And while I've never used them, I know Rainbow Feather Company carries bulk feathers and has been recommended by other cosplayers in the past.

The one thing I can see being a problem is a 12' square piece of fabric.  Most of what's out there doesn't go above 120", at least to my knowledge.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »
120" is about ten feet, right? That should be alright. I'm about 5'4", and just need it to to either be touching the floor or just be a few inches off of it. If it comes right down to it, a 10x10 piece should be fine. Also, thanks for the hosiery and feathers. It's hard to find any good ones for cosplay, since when you start getting to knee-height, it's usually either printed on or opaque, and I need solid. And the feathers! Oh the feathers... I know I'm going to have such a WONDERFUL time making the wings and the three layers of feathers on the skirt. >.>

Well, all for cosplay, cosplay for all, ne? XD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 06:48:35 pm »
Well, all for cosplay, cosplay for all, ne? XD

Heeh, tell me about it.  I've got a pretty good-sized tote just for the supplies for one of my cosplays for next year, so I feel your pain.  (How many full-circle skirts does it take to smother a cosplayer?  We'll find out!)

Good luck with your project!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 06:52:42 pm »
full-circle? Ouch! XD I almost used one for Garnet, but once I finished it decided not too. Her dress is waaaay to flowy for one, anyway. XD
And thanks! Trust me, you'll see me there. This year I was the one that blinded everyone when the sun was out, since Garnet is all white. AND THIS ONE IS BIGGER AND EVEN MORE WHITE! XD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »
sock dreams now actually has a store if you're in the portland area.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:37:40 pm »
bottom line you are going to need some fabric from jo anns or fabric depo

you can sigh up online for joanns and you get e-mail info about sales and coupons for 40% off your purchase which works for cuts of fabric, like you want 3 yards of white wedding satin, and its 10$ a yard so 30$ but hey you have a coupon so its its only 18 $, so if you join now you can get stuff you need for a coupon or on sale a bit at a time and save big bucks

also keep in mind as far as craft stores are concerned halloween is tomorrow and christmas is next week seriously
and costume satin=regular satin only much cheaper after halloween and they start doing the last min sales week or 2 before halloween
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:17 pm »
Good point. Thank you, everyone! ^^ I've wanted to do this costume forever!
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:40:43 am »
ebay can be your friend if you can find good deals/responsive sellers. Gloves can be found here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290263184312&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr3_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=290261773414&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D3

or search for white opera gloves, there's satin and matte options.

for the rest of the dress, I actually saw Yaya at Sakuracon when she did this costume: http://www.angelicstar.net/cosplay/yuna.html

she modified it a bit but it looked LOVELY in person (I didn't know FF10 at the time, but was still blown away.) She says she responds to e-mails and questions just a bit slowly because she gets a lot. But that could give you some starting places maybe? I guess she lives in the Seattle-ish area, or at least I always see her at Sakuracon.
~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 05:09:25 am »
Alright, let's see...

If Jo-Ann's Fabric doesn't have what you  want, you can always check Mill End Fabric. I've never been, but I hear they have got an excellent selection: http://millendstore.com/

Myalchod got the feathers and socks right from what I can tell ;) I haven't heard of another company that cosplayers go to for feathers, and my friend REALLY, REALLY wants to go to Sock Dreams.

Some things like the tiara and gloves can be picked up at basic stores like Michaels, Claires, or David's Bridal (but that's probably more expensive). Claires always has sparkly things and white gloves. It's a prom staple after all ;) There's always some girl wearing a tiara with white gloves.

Boas can be bought at Michaels. I recommend using a coupon. Marabou boas are more expensive. Coupons are every other Sunday (unless it's the holiday Season then it's every week) in the Early Edition Sunday Oregonian. Same with the ivy and any other floral need. Jo-Ann's probably has a decent selection of floral stems, but not as good as Michaels, I'm willing to bet. (Ex-Michaels employee).

If I were you, I'd either put $20 aside every time you get a paycheck (assuming you have a job of somesort) or gradually purchase things through the year. Pay close attention to Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabric ads in the Oregonian. If you can't get their flyers, you might be able to have them sent directly to you or buy them in the Sunday Oregonian from a coin-operated doggie house for news.

I did both for Davy Jones, and I'm really happy I did. Buying things gradually didn't make the costume seem so overwhelmingly expensive. I guess just go for what you desperately need first, like getting the veil or bouquet out of the way or working on the costume. If absolutely need be and you're in a time cruch, you can have Michaels make the replica bouquet for you, but it will be expensive. The florist will appreciate this, however, since all florists at Michaels have a quota to fill. It's a lot of pressure from what I've seen.

Floral stems go on sale all the time, but especially now that Fall is in season, there should be a lot of red, orange, and yellow floral bushes around. These are a lot less expensive than buying each individual stem on its own. Plus, once the winter stuff kicks in, they go on mega discount. Might be good to hit up your local Michaels to scope out what they've got.

I found a corset pattern (underbust, though) I can link you to if you want it. It uses cut up strips of juice jugs for the boning. The results on this particular person's example were just as good as using real boning. The people who followed had about 50-50 success to fail ratio.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:12:22 am by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 09:14:44 pm »
Hmmm.. I would get a wedding dress from Goodwill or Salvation Army. 

Don't hurt any birds for DEM feathers now... :P
And so it begins...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 10:25:04 pm »
I know that... I'm a vegetarian. But how else would I get feathers? T.T
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »
Jo anns
They sell then by the bagfuls or somewhere with a craft section.

ps. I'm typing up the members list for the A&M club...people have HORRIBLE handwriting...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 10:36:54 pm »
That they do. XD
What a mean is good looking SYNTHETIC feathers. That look and feel real.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:04 pm »
Some crafts store I guess.

We had 21 people sign up >>

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 10:56:28 pm »
So that means what, four or five actually show up?XD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 12:40:08 pm »
Feathers, eh?  I was thinking, since halloween is around the corner, and there are lots of clearances around, on, and after halloween...you can buy maybe a few sets of angel wings (the feather kind, not fairy kind) and detach the feathers. You could probably grab the proximal end of the feather and just pluck it off...  maybe a some cuts too...

I did look on ebay and feathers run about $30+ per lot and the kind of feathers Yuna's dress has is more of the Ostrich feather type, which are a bit pricy.

As a fellow cosplayer, I know we all try to look for ways to save a little $ on things here and there.

I applaud you for having a plan going, and best of luck to ya!  You give me the energy to start mine! (soon... -_-)  :-*

And so it begins...