Author Topic: Tom's Custom DVDs  (Read 3739 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Tom's Custom DVDs
« on: August 16, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »
I just wanted to make the announcement somewhere that I am now fully capable of making DVDs out of any of the events that I have youtube footage of. This includes the cosplay picnic, earlycon, and most of the meetings.

I don't know what I'd charge for the service, since I'm not passing the buck on to anyone else involved in the DVDs. I'd have to break down the cost of the DVDs, cases, and printer ink. Ink is the most expensive part of course since I'm dealing with an HP printer.

Each DVD has about 120 minutes of footage on it. My first DVD wasn't able to fit all the stuff from the Earlycon and the Cosplay Picnic but I think I included the best clips.

Here's some closeups of the front and back covers,

I'm going to whip up a number of these for my own collection and then start offering them to the public.
The one in the picture is going to be a prize at the Forum Meet Up Panel!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Tom's Custom DVDs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:00:38 pm »
That is absolutely AMAZING! I'm not shouting, I'm just very excited, lol. I would buy one in an instant, whenever they are readily available. Great going, Tom! ^_^ This news makes me a happy Barret.....and I think that's kind of a rare thing, actually. (Who's ever heard of a happy Barret? lol)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:06:35 am »
I would buy one in a heartbeat. (Well as long as my kids are still in it otherwise what would be the point right, I mean I like all of you guys too but my kids are cool and well I will shut up now I have said to much)

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:49:19 am »
Make one of the con too!
I'd totally buy it!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:04:59 am »
I'll definitely be making one of the convention, but that's probably going to be made with or by the actual convention video guy that has been brought in to film stuff.

Higuma, your kids are definitely in it still! How could I cut them?

I will probably be able to wrangle together a couple more empty DVD cases but I don't know how many I'll be able to buy before the convention itself. I've got to make a few DVDs to give to the board as records of the meetings.

I'll make some more of this specific one, but remember I can customize what videos go on the DVDs. You might want to wait until after the convention.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:58 am »
I'd also buy one of those from ya tom
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:15:51 pm »
oh noes.
XD My fugly face is on that.

nasty. I sound like a batch as well. : [[[[[[[[[

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:20:41 am »
I really don't know what you're talking about.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a few more than I expected.
At least nobody has any weird requests. Like EVERY Programming report on film or something.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:51:41 pm »
It takes me a long time to make these things! I was only able to make 4 to sell during the convention.

So I have 4 Earlycon/Cosplay Picnic DVDs, I'll probably be selling them for really cheap. Especially since you're paying for labor more than anything.

How does $5 sound?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:55 pm »
Sounds like a steal to me. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:47 pm »
I want one. Can I have one? It has me on the cover, I look all big and bad ^_^

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 12:24:01 am »
I've only got four so I'm not sure how to decide who can buy them.

I don't really want to go first come first serve since not everyone is going to be at the Doubletree as early as I am. I think I'll make them available at the Forum Meet-Up.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:40 am »
I must have one! You only have three available now right! I let my son beat you up so I should get one!
HaHa jk.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 06:38:29 am »
I really don't know what you're talking about.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a few more than I expected.
At least nobody has any weird requests. Like EVERY Programming report on film or something.

EW

XD

haha you could have gotten a hotter shot ah ahahaha

(so cool that yous can do that!)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 06:58:23 am »
Back from the dead! Mwahahahaha!

I just wanted to let you know that I have gotten all of my convention data together and I have about one and a half DVDs worth of content on my own without adding the content recorded by the convention's official videographer (which I have yet to see or hear about). I'm going to be contacting the winners of the AMV contest about including their AMVs on the DVD as well.

If you guys have any video clips that I could use let me know, I want to start arranging the actual convention content soon. I've seen good ones on youtube but even if I could capture that Flash content I wouldn't want it on dvd. I can create some random slideshows of pictures with music but I don't know if I can get 1.5GB of slideshow made and honestly I wouldn't want to.

To clarify in case I haven't before. Tom's Custom DVDs can be yours for a handling charge of $5 per disc to cover the cost of the supplies I use and the time it takes the DVD to be burned (I'd also blame the time it takes to compose but I always make a copy for myself so I'd be composing the content anyway).

If you want to come by my house with a DVD and "cut out the middle man I can cut you a discount.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

oslapedo

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:30 am »
You should bring some DVDs to KCon lite so we can buy them there ;)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:24 am »
oh oh!!! i saw a picture of me and kaye on the cover... did you print it tom??? do you have that picture??? ^^
PS. I wanna buy one ^^

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:30:33 am »
I haven't gotten around to watching all of the other one yet. I started to but we decided to go back to the con so we stopped it XD

oslapedo

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 11:44:01 am »
I will so buy if you sell them at KCon lite *wink wink nudge nudge* ;D

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 11:53:48 am »
So people still want the cosplay picnic DVD then?
Do I need to make more of those first?

How many should I make for Kcon Lite?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

oslapedo

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »
I'd like a DVD of con footage over the cosplay picnic if that's possible.

Count me in for one!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 01:06:44 pm »
OK, so let me explain this again.

I can put any of my youtube videos on a DVD. That's the only video I have right now.

Tell me what you want on the DVD and I'll put it on there.

The cosplay picnic is the only Kumoricon DVD that I've polished up into a finished product.
Remember I don't have any cosplay footage yet or any karaoke footage. The most complete chunks I have I have is the Girl Genius Radio Show and Closing Ceremonies.

If anyone is interested I also have all the footage from the meetings from March onward. Including Kumoricon Lite.

There's a reason I called the thread "Tom's Custom DVDs".
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
Quote from: TomtheFanboy
I just wanted to let you know that I have gotten all of my convention data together and I have about one and a half DVDs worth of content on my own without adding the content recorded by the convention's official videographer (which I have yet to see or hear about). I'm going to be contacting the winners of the AMV contest about including their AMVs on the DVD as well.
WHEEE! - 2009 Convention opener video! Also, if you need any contact info on AMV creators let me know and I can e-mail you the details.

Next though, just a bit of due diligence here. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but AMVs constitute NON-criminal copyright infringement - they're NOT outright illegal, but they're in a grey area where rights holders get to sue first, C&D first, etc, then ask a judge to make a finding second. So what that means is that although the risk is small, it becomes somewhat greater when cash goes one way and derivative works made from copyrighted materials go the other way. (Hmm...)

This isn't an insurmountable conundrum. I actually made a corporate video for a trade show and secured FREE of Charge the rights to use a certain music cut from 'Full Metal Panic.' Meanwhile, I heard that The Slants are distributing a DVD with the winner from their AMV contest. So it *IS* do-able.

But just a question and an idea:

1) Can a person trade you an unburned DVD of the same quality (i.e, manufacturer, +R vs -R, etc.) even-up for your burned DVD? This would defuse the money-for-AMVs question, and

2) You might want to contact some of The Slants (they are members on this forum board) and ask them how or what they did so as to distribute an AMV-containing disk, while receiving money for it.

Best of luck and full-throttle encouragement,

- G

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 11:44:40 pm »
Glad I could get your input on this Guy.

I would love to include your 2008 opener because it was awesome.

If I can get the AMVs together I'd love to make a "bonus" disc of just the AMVs that I could give away to my other customers/trade for blank DVDs. I think that'd be a good way to avoid any problems with copyright. I would still just be charging for the dvd of our own footage and the manufacture of my fancy discs. the AMV disc would still be usable within a normal DVD player but it would come on a normal DVD-ROM.

That'll work.
I'll email you for the contact info and winner list. That'll be better than me doing a bunch of work searching through the forums and animemusicvideos.org
thanks again!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!