Author Topic: cosplay pet-peeves  (Read 38514 times)

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
Re: cosplay pet-peeves
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »
I guess height is a little bit important but body type not so much. If you are overweight there isn't a lot of characters that have the same body. Its like saying people of color should only cosplay other characters that have the same skin color.

So body weight has nothing to do with anything but...height, you can make yourself taller, but it is harder to make yourself shorter. You don't even have to be the same height but if the character you are portraying is the tallest in a group make sure you are the tallest in the group.

But height and body type are the last thing people should worry about. I think it is more important to get the costume looking perfect before you worry about your own body.

Yea, it's trite but, anime characters are not realistic.  I don't expect anyone to really look too much like a character. There are limits but of coarse, but those are pretty extreme.

Unfortunately I can absolutely NOT wear heels of any kind and I do tend to get crap for it. Honestly, those people can shove it up their asses. It makes me absolutely livid that I can't wear nice shoes to go out, I don't need to take any crap for something like cosplay.
you can't wear heels because your tall? or you suck at wearing them? *slightly lost*
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

oslapedo

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2008, 07:37:55 pm »
I don't think anyone knows my real name, but I don't mind :D

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2008, 07:48:43 pm »
I will find it out. wait is that a pet peeve?

@nikki
well I wasn't really raised tomboyishly, I'm just boyish. X/ ha ha

it still irks me when people don't act like there character though. just had to reiterate that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:49:54 pm by tofutakeout »
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

oslapedo

« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »
Tofu, it's not a pet peeve, and I like being called by the names of characters I cosplay x3

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »

I will find it out. wait is that a pet peeve?

@nikki
well I wasn't really raised tomboyishly, I'm just boyish. X/ ha ha

it still irks me when people don't act like there character though. just had to reiterate that.
I think there is a time and place to act like your character. Con is a good place, other meet-ups not so much. Especially when dealing with other people, be polite and act like yourself and not in character, unless your character is nicer than you are XD

oslapedo

« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2008, 08:13:01 pm »
I try and pick characters that I normally act like... Fuu might end up being my favorite cosplay because I'm totally like her, and I love eating ;D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »
I can see her having the same personality as you XD

oslapedo

« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2008, 08:18:26 pm »
Teehee thanks XD

I think I thought of a peeve, that I'm partially guilty of. When people wear random clothes and pass it off as cosplay. A common example of this would be Misa cosplayers from Death Note; gothic lolita dresses and/or random Hot Topic crap does not equal cosplay! :D I love it when people prove to be an exception to this rule, there are some truly awesome Misa's out there :3

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2008, 08:22:39 pm »
Yeah that can be quite annoying. Also the people who put on a white tee-**** and jeans and call themselves L.

I know this has already come up but that really irritates me. Those kind of people are giving the rest of us cosplayers a bad name v.v

oslapedo

« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2008, 08:27:34 pm »
I concur! I think that any good cosplay needs to be planned in advance.

The thing that really gets me is wigs. They can make or break a cosplay to me. I don't mind when people use their real hair (I do!) but I think when people do use wigs they should make sure that it's of good quality : D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2008, 09:05:58 pm »
Yeah I don't like to see a crappy wig. I prefer to see nice ones.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2008, 09:04:23 am »
one of the most annoying things is buying wigs online. Both times I have, the store made the wig look longer than it was, and either lied or just said the wrong number for how much it would add to the measurement around my head. Also the colors it said for the silver wig I bought for Kaye was different than the actual color of the wig, but it was OK, because it was actually more accurate.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:46 am »
I haven't had any problems with buying wigs online. All the ones I got have turned out just fine.

Offline CC3

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2008, 06:11:08 pm »
hmm some of my pet peeves are:

Bad wig color
Wigs with tangles in them (Makes me wan to attack their heads with a brush)
Bad crossplay (Guys I would prefer not to see you in short mini skirts)
I love people being in character but don't go over the top
I LOST THE GAME!
Age is important in cosplay, something most people don't seem to realize. (Sexy naruto has an age limit) (so does Misa)
I don't mind generic characters as long as they're done well.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:46 pm »
yea, one time I saw a twelve year old girl as "sexy no jutsu itachi" walking around in a bikini top and reaaallly short mini skirt...

I wanted to attack her with a towel to cover her up XD

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:13 am »
Oh. There was a girl who was in lacy lingerie and a yukata robe going into the Dance at Kumoricon. It was...  skanky. :/ Not sexy, just... skanky. That really bugged me. She looked like she was still in high school, too. I think it just gives a super bad (and probably wrong) impression about her, too.

12 year old "sexy no jutsu"? That's not right in so many ways. I'm sorry. That should not happen.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2008, 10:37:14 am »
I hate how these days you see girls younger and younger worried about fashion and how they look. I mean do we really need to create shallow girls at age 12?

I luckily didn't see either of the two girls you are talking about, which I'm glad because I probably would have made a rude comment ;D

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:33 pm »
I hate how these days you see girls younger and younger worried about fashion and how they look. I mean do we really need to create shallow girls at age 12?

I luckily didn't see either of the two girls you are talking about, which I'm glad because I probably would have made a rude comment ;D

Ugh don't even get me started.

Something to ellabprate on; mostly at SC KC is probly too but not so much.

Peopel being soo offended over guys in suggestive yaoi pairings, or just scantly clad and even being removed by staff yet the affore mentioned crap being allowed to happen.
"Fanily friendly' my ass more like 'what sells-" friendly.

Don't even try to me there is no double standard there.

Not to mention, pedophilla, statutory-anything is illegal.
A guy 18+ wearing little clothing is NOT in any way shape or form.

Ehe..I'll not dig any deeper into this can of worms >>.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:12 pm »
>_> I will take some yaoi pictures for Albel because him and Cliff are one of my favorite pairings and my Cliff likes them too ;D

But I am going to do it outside (most likely, unless it's snowing again) or in a kinda isolated place. The big issue is that I really don't know this person well and I would feel a little uncomfortable being stuck in a pose like that for too long waiting for others to take pictures ^_^;

But yeah SC is really what sells and not family friendly. Not that it really matters to me being 20 ^_^

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2008, 01:03:58 pm »
I would have to dissagree with the last few posts. Sakura Con is very family friendly as far as conventions go, they have NO adult content whatsoever. However they have the same dress codes as we do. (Bikini zones must be covered) are both's main concern. Unfortunatly there is no good way to create a age appropriate dress code without offending many people. But as always, if you see a cosplay turning into innapropriate behavior report it to any person who is staff. Its a sad reality that 12 year old girls want to wear the most skimpy things, but if they are covered in the right areas and not posing an issue than there is little that we can do. As for Yaoi pairings I agree that some can come off the same way as the girls. But we have to set rules for a huge group, and its hard to say that one age can wear a cosplay and another cant.

*A pet peeve that gets to me is when people have nothing to cosplay as so they go as L. White sweatshirt, and Jeans. thats it. No eyeliner, no wig. L is SOOOOOOO easy to do anyway! Why would you only half do one of the easiest throw together cosplays?

I know that at SC last year my first cosplay was Rin from Fate/Stay Night and the costume was super easy, but I made dang sure that my wig looked dead on and the bows were in the right position. The whole finished cosplay made me look like Rin, not the red turtleneck and pleated skirt. :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com