Author Topic: Flock Web Browser  (Read 11096 times)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Flock Web Browser
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:26:39 pm »
Ok, so i just downloaded this web browser out of curiosity, and it is amazing.
there is just so much you can do with it.

has anybody else tried this?

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
Re: Flock Web Browser
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:45:42 pm »
I tried it on recommendation of a customer of mine and didn't like it much. It's Firefox with plugins for social networking.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:29 pm »
I tried it on recommendation of a customer of mine and didn't like it much. It's Firefox with plugins for social networking.
maybe its just me, but it seems a lot faster than firefox. with firefox i could barely run facebook without my compy crashing, and with flock i can use it fine.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »
maybe its just me, but it seems a lot faster than firefox. with firefox i could barely run facebook without my compy crashing, and with flock i can use it fine.
It's based on Firefox; uses the Gecko layout engine, GTK, the whole nine yards. Anything added to Firefox (such as social messaging) is by nature slower than Firefox.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 03:01:10 pm »
It's based on Firefox; uses the Gecko layout engine, GTK, the whole nine yards. Anything added to Firefox (such as social messaging) is by nature slower than Firefox.
you'd think so, but for some reason it is working a lot faster.
earlier today using firefox, i couldn't see the words i was trying to type because it was lagging, and i would have to wait for it to catch up with me.
with flock i can actually see what im doing.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 04:54:36 pm »
Redownload Firefox and you will see.

THAT IT IS THE SAME.

Make sure to update too!

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 05:20:03 pm »
I feel safe with firefox... It has stopped websites with virus' from loading up and warning me not to enter... It's also a much safer web browser as well, so I'm not going to change my browser to something else.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 05:27:45 pm »
Yeah, me too!
Firefox with Kaspersky is the best.
I can download anything without worry of viruses.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »
oh ya, for me, I use Norton (which a lot of people hate, but it does work well) It's funny, because not only is it good at detecting virus', but since I use Limewire, it stops me from downloading anything carrying a virus on limewire and firefox. Mainly, it let's me download it, but when I try to open it, it will tell me if it has any virus and asks if I still wish to open it. So ya, I have not had a single virus thanks to Norton.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 11:01:17 pm »
Wow.... This browser is incredibly bloated. I like having RAM free, no thanks :<

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:36 pm »
You tried it? How much RAM does it use?

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 10:28:24 pm »
Oh God, I hate Firefox. I don't really do the social networking thing, either~

Chrome ftw
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 12:20:13 pm »
chrome.google.com

Go there. Download. ??????. Profit.

Ick. Chrome has looks and I like how tabs spawn after the current one, but beyond that it's terrible. Crazy CPU / RAM whore.
3 tabs without any flash and I got 300+ megs of RAM usage.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:28:08 pm by ha~ma »

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 12:35:52 pm »
Mozilla Firefox is the best-BELIEVE IT!

Internet explorer gives you problems...

RAM usages for others...

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 12:54:43 pm »
Chrome, a RAM whore? Surely you jest.

If you haven't seen me complaining about this before, the computer I use over the summer has 200 mb of RAM and the only browser that won't make it slow is Chrome. Firefox was even slower than IE.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »

If you haven't seen me complaining about this before, the computer I use over the summer has 200 mb of RAM and the only browser that won't make it slow is Chrome. Firefox was even slower than IE.
200 MB of RAM? You're basically lying unless you have onboard video allocates RAM in a way that it doesn't show up normally, because you can't configure a system with 200 MB of RAM >_>

And how does Chrome handle lots of tabs for you? If I used Chrome I wouldn't be able to leave 30+ tabs like right now (only 251 megs of ram being used). When I'm really clutterish I have around 70-100 open. Are you fairly compulsive about closing tabs? If you're like me, a multi process memory model for a browser certainly isn't going to save RAM.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:37:07 pm by ha~ma »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »

200 MB of RAM? You're basically lying unless you have onboard video allocates RAM in a way that it doesn't show up normally, because you can't configure a system with 200 MB of RAM >_>

And how does Chrome handle lots of tabs for you? If I used Chrome I wouldn't be able to leave 30+ tabs like right now (only 251 megs of ram being used). When I'm really clutterish I have around 70-100 open. Are you fairly compulsive about closing tabs? If you're like me, a multi process memory model for a browser certainly isn't going to save RAM.
228, I think, if you want an exact number. I'm not using the computer right now so I can't check, but if you don't believe me I'll give you a screenshot around Christmas.
I don't use 30+ tabs at once. The most I have open at once is 4, because I can't focus on 30 things at once.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:28 pm »

228, I think, if you want an exact number. I'm not using the computer right now so I can't check, but if you don't believe me I'll give you a screenshot around Christmas.
I don't use 30+ tabs at once. The most I have open at once is 4, because I can't focus on 30 things at once.
228 is possible. You physically can't configure 200, that's where my skepticism stemmed from. Good to clear that up though :)

Ah, that makes sense then. I just leave stuff I constantly check / visit / quirky stuff that I'm too lazy to bookmark or send to friends open, so my tabs pile up FAST. I tried using Chrome and I kept running out of resources so I had to go back to FireFox.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 10:49:15 pm »
xD Sorry, I round. We tried putting in a different RAM stick a while ago, but it BSODed.

I see~ I just close my tabs when I'm done with them. xD I usually only have more than two tabs open when I'm on TVtropes- Or any Wiki, for that matter. @_@
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 11:15:53 pm »
HEY HEY! O-san

Mr.Mustach, I swear I saw you at the mall on Halloween... If thats you on your picture...

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:10 pm »
Clackamas! I saw you at Barnes and Noble with 2 other dudes!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 11:27:14 pm »
ah damn.....You have a twin...

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 11:31:12 pm »
xD Sorry, I round. We tried putting in a different RAM stick a while ago, but it BSODed.

I see~ I just close my tabs when I'm done with them. xD I usually only have more than two tabs open when I'm on TVtropes- Or any Wiki, for that matter. @_@
Awww, that sucks. I have problems finding RAM for older computers too... The 133 Mhz sticks don't work on some motherboards so I'm still stuck with 128 megs of RAM on my other CPU lol.

chrome.google.com

Go there. Download. ??????. Profit.

Ick. Chrome has looks and I like how tabs spawn after the current one, but beyond that it's terrible. Crazy CPU / RAM whore.
3 tabs without any flash and I got 300+ megs of RAM usage.

And I worry about RAM usage when...? Honestly, most consumer PCs today are shipping with 4GBs or Ram standard.

As for me, my main PC has 12GBs of RAM and my laptop has 4. So I never really have to worry ever about RAM problems. I will take heavy ram usage and the best browsing experience any day of the week.
Sure, you can have all the RAM in the world but that doesnt excuse a developer's poor planning and inefficient RAM usage model.  Not everyone has tons of RAM, so why develop for only one target market? Doesn't make any sense.

Best browsing experience means different things to different people, so to each his own.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:36:33 pm by ha~ma »

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 11:35:02 pm »
Peoples update your RAM...

GOSH....

I have like 4 gigs of RAM on my PC so its no prob for me....Just go buy a RAM stick!

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 11:39:20 pm »
Peoples update your RAM...

GOSH....

I have like 4 gigs of RAM on my PC so its no prob for me....Just go buy a RAM stick!

Not everyone has money :) I'm running 1 gig of RAM on my main PC and tbh that runs everything fine. I don't play any modern games so I really have no need to upgrade. I'm a fairly frugal person hehe.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 11:40:11 pm »
I steel my RAM from other peoples PC's....

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 11:43:32 pm »
I steel my RAM from other peoples PC's....
This is something I'm not willing to do lol.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »
SHOUT OUT: DANA, YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR RAM!!!

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 09:05:07 am »

And I worry about RAM usage when...? Honestly, most consumer PCs today are shipping with 4GBs or Ram standard.

As for me, my main PC has 12GBs of RAM and my laptop has 4. So I never really have to worry ever about RAM problems. I will take heavy ram usage and the best browsing experience any day of the week.
you totally overload your computers though silly :P

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 11:46:26 am »
Just stop posting.

Everyone else, just use the browser you like.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 01:09:44 pm »
Just stop posting.

Everyone else, just use Firefox.
Fix'd

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »

It could be a partition or a virtual machine (granted, if it's a VM, then all bets are off about actual performance because the page file in the VM could be cached in physical memory in the host machine, or physical memory in the VM could be paged out in the host machine).

Sure, you can have all the RAM in the world but that doesnt excuse a developer's poor planning and inefficient RAM usage model.  Not everyone has tons of RAM, so why develop for only one target market? Doesn't make any sense.

It could make sense. If the extra memory serves a purpose, then Moore's law will take its course. For example, if a new browser architecture required a lot more memory, but was expected to last for the next 5-8 years of that product's life, than Moore's law will have made it run well on most available machines well before its target lifetime ends. The software developers may have decided that going to great lengths to make the architecture function in low memory are not worth the effort when the need will quickly evaporate with time. (Having said that, then, whether the application is wasteful in this specific case is a separate matter.)

One thing to keep in mind, especially about browser memory footprints, is be sure you're looking at the working set, not the commit charge (basically, private virtual memory used by the process). Unless the browser is running in a garbage-collected environment, then freed memory will remain allocated and appear "used" to the operating system due to virtual memory fragmentation in the address space of that process. Yet, this memory will never again actually be accessed for the life of the process. Therefore, it will be paged out, never to be paged back in, and not impact performance. Browsers in particular allocate and free memory very frequently during normal use, perhaps much more than other common applications. This is why a browser's memory footprint almost always grows over time until the process ends, and rarely shrinks.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »

It could be a partition or a virtual machine (granted, if it's a VM, then all bets are off about actual performance because the page file in the VM could be cached in physical memory in the host machine, or physical memory in the VM could be paged out in the host machine).
I highly doubt most users here run VM setups... And why on top of that would you be running a web browser in a VM when all popular operating systems have browsers? I could kinda see this if you're running something like OS/2 w4 and need a more modern browser but the likelyhood of this is very very low.
Sure, you can have all the RAM in the world but that doesnt excuse a developer's poor planning and inefficient RAM usage model.  Not everyone has tons of RAM, so why develop for only one target market? Doesn't make any sense.

It could make sense. If the extra memory serves a purpose, then Moore's law will take its course. For example, if a new browser architecture required a lot more memory, but was expected to last for the next 5-8 years of that product's life, than Moore's law will have made it run well on most available machines well before its target lifetime ends. The software developers may have decided that going to great lengths to make the architecture function in low memory are not worth the effort when the need will quickly evaporate with time. (Having said that, then, whether the application is wasteful in this specific case is a separate matter.)

One thing to keep in mind, especially about browser memory footprints, is be sure you're looking at the working set, not the commit charge (basically, private virtual memory used by the process). Unless the browser is running in a garbage-collected environment, then freed memory will remain allocated and appear "used" to the operating system due to virtual memory fragmentation in the address space of that process. Yet, this memory will never again actually be accessed for the life of the process. Therefore, it will be paged out, never to be paged back in, and not impact performance. Browsers in particular allocate and free memory very frequently during normal use, perhaps much more than other common applications. This is why a browser's memory footprint almost always grows over time until the process ends, and rarely shrinks.
Your point here is very well constructed, but there is a rapidly growing phenomenon to the contrary. With the rising popularity of these compact, low performance netbooks there is actually now a target market that is relatively low end. If you look at the specs of the very popular Acer Eee line, the most popular model (#1 in Amazon.com's Computers and Acessories section, #1 in netbooks which is no small feat), maxes at 2 gigs of ram (comes with 1gb) and comes with a 1.6 ghz proc. With the market being flooded with underspecced computers like this developers should consider this new emerging market.

Your point probably holds true for most, but considering that I ran a memory manager during the test and got these results after attempting to free memory it is still a bit alarming.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:43:51 pm by ha~ma »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 10:51:41 pm »
I highly doubt most users here run VM setups... And why on top of that would you be running a web browser in a VM when all popular operating systems have browsers? I could kinda see this if you're running something like OS/2 w4 and need a more modern browser but the likelyhood of this is very very low.

True, but I just wanted to point out, exact increments of memory can occur in situations like this. Also, I do run older versions of IE in VMs to test sites with them, and one might want to run a "browser appliance" VM as isolation against malware. Though this is not as necessary anymore, as most browser vendors are really fast about fixing security vulnerabilities. (Though, don't forget to check the versions of your Flash, Shockwave, QuickTime, Adobe Reader, .NET, Java, and Windows Media Player plugins... if those are insecure, you can get malware just the same as if the browser is insecure...)

Your point here is very well constructed, but there is a rapidly growing phenomenon to the contrary. With the rising popularity of these compact, low performance netbooks there is actually now a target market that is relatively low end. If you look at the specs of the very popular Acer Eee line, the most popular model (#1 in Amazon.com's Computers and Acessories section, #1 in netbooks which is no small feat), maxes at 2 gigs of ram (comes with 1gb) and comes with a 1.6 ghz proc. With the market being flooded with underspecced computers like this developers should consider this new emerging market.

Your point probably holds true for most, but considering that I ran a memory manager during the test and got these results after attempting to free memory it is still a bit alarming.

True, and battery considerations are a pressure to keep the total RAM in handheld devices lower.

I think a memory manager wouldn't be able to defragment in-process memory fragmentation because it would have no idea what memory management scheme the process is using.

The paging out of unused, "freed" but permanently allocated memory can be observed. For example, in Windows, using Task Manger, display the Working Set (default), and Commit Charge columns side-by-side. If you exhaust physical memory and Windows needs to do a lot of paging, all the running processes' Working Set values will drop all at once as Windows pages out some memory from each process.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 10:38:09 am »

True, but I just wanted to point out, exact increments of memory can occur in situations like this. Also, I do run older versions of IE in VMs to test sites with them, and one might want to run a "browser appliance" VM as isolation against malware. Though this is not as necessary anymore, as most browser vendors are really fast about fixing security vulnerabilities. (Though, don't forget to check the versions of your Flash, Shockwave, QuickTime, Adobe Reader, .NET, Java, and Windows Media Player plugins... if those are insecure, you can get malware just the same as if the browser is insecure...)
Yeah, this is very useful. I recently was trying out ReactOS and was doing it in a VM setup so I could test a couple of games side by side to figure out tearing issues. What field do you exactly work in?

Also thanks for pointing out a blunder on my part ;)

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:37 pm »
The paging out of unused, "freed" but permanently allocated memory can be observed. For example, in Windows, using Task Manger, display the Working Set (default), and Commit Charge columns side-by-side. If you exhaust physical memory and Windows needs to do a lot of paging, all the running processes' Working Set values will drop all at once as Windows pages out some memory from each process.

There is actually a way to run Windows always in garbage collection mode (it doesn't by default). Just turn off the Paging File. I would only recommend this to someone with a very large amount of ram, but I have noticed a bit of a speed increase when running my PC this way.
  Unless you were using a solid state drive :)

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 03:21:29 pm »

There is actually a way to run Windows always in garbage collection mode (it doesn't by default). Just turn off the Paging File. I would only recommend this to someone with a very large amount of ram, but I have noticed a bit of a speed increase when running my PC this way.
 Unless you were using a solid state drive :)

I love how SSDs have gotten people thinking that they're completely perfect. Well let me tell you, they're not. They may be fast but they do fail quite a lot. The main server that I work on at work has 24 x 250GB SSDs in it, and last weeks 2 of them died. This represented a complete data lost because I only had them in a RAID5. I did this because I assumed that the SSDs would never fail, I was wrong.
Trust me, speed is the only thing that interests me in SSDs. I am constantly reading and writing from my HDs (Audio editing i do vid editing too, also do major file xfers for friends and myself that avg anywhere from 50-150 gb/day), I would burn through the reccomended / safe read write cycles VERY quickly.
I'd imagine RAM based SSD wouldn't be as scary in that sense, but one power failure means everything is gone.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:26:54 pm by ha~ma »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 05:23:35 pm »

I don't think this will make a difference to the memory usage phenomenon I described.

This is sort of a subtle concept--something that draws on programming knowledge (sorry to some people in the thread...). In the internal memory management of an application like a browser, memory is allocated and freed on a continual basis. However, the "freeing" of memory isn't necessarily immediately freed as far as the operating system is concerned--it's merely freed from the point of view of the internal memory management of the program. For example, if addresses 0x00000000 to 0x000000FF are currently being used, 0x00000100 through 0x0000001FF are not used, but 0x00000200 through 0x000002FF are still used to hold current data, then the memory 0x00000100 through 0x0000001FF remains allocated as virtual memory by the operating system, even though the application isn't using it anymore. This memory could eventually be paged out of physical memory and won't impact performance (in reality, with the numbers I have picked it won't be as they are less than 4KB increments but I'm just using small numbers for illustrative purposes). This is internal memory fragmentation. The application cannot adjust the contents of 0x00000200 through 0x000002FF downward to fill the "gap" because internal pointers which hold the virtual memory addresses would then point to the wrong addresses.

BUT... if the application is running in a garbage collected environment--notably Java or .NET--then the environment CAN "garbage collect" (and defragment) the unused memory and return it to the operating system. Pointers are adjusted during the garbage collection process. This is possible because in Java or .NET, in contrast to many other platforms like C++, memory management is automatic and directly performed by the program.

Memory could also be defragmented or garbage collected if the programmer explicitly wrote such a memory management system (or used a library that did so).

Regardless of how the application is written, the operating system can re-arrange physical memory all it wants, because virtual memory addresses can be transparently remapped to any physical address, or not mapped to a physical address (which results in a page fault, and paging in of said memory). That is the purpose and beauty of virtual memory. This requires processor support (to be done efficiently), which was a new feature in the 80386 processor.

That said, it surprises me that you'd get any performance increase from disabling the page file.

What field do you exactly work in?

Software developer.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 06:26:39 pm »
so.. this thread got derailed >.>

in a related note, im still loving Flock, so Flock you all, you Flocking haters >.>