Author Topic: How to be a good cosplayer  (Read 7975 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
How to be a good cosplayer
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:16:41 pm »
My intent was for new people who were interested in cosplaying could come here to get some tips.

There are a lot of people on this forum that ask others what they should cosplay as. That is not a bad idea but a lot of the time some suggestions you may get may be characters that you have never heard of. So if you are going to ask others who you should cosplay you should provide a picture of yourself as well as some of your favorite anime and or video games. That will help us chose characters that you are familiar with.

If you buy or make your costume put your heart into it. Don't do a half hearted job, you make the rest of us look bad and (sadly) people will talk behind your back at cons. Anyone can put on a white tee-shirt and jeans and call themselves L but only a few people actually pull him off well.

One major problem I seem to run into is people and their hair. If you are cosplaying a character that has a different hair color than you, get a wig. If they have the same hair color but it is styled differently then learn how to do it like that. You best bet is to get a wig though. If you really don't want to pay for a wig look for characters that have the same hair length and color as you.

makeup is a huge thing too. Even if you are a guy you should think about putting a little makeup on. It will help your features stand out more...and when I talk about putting makeup on I am talking about mascara and maybe a little bit of eye liner. If you have bad acne look into some cover-up. It does wonders.

Posing is another big thing at cons. If you have a good costume or cosplaying a character that people like be expected to have your picture taken. What I do is look up reference pictures on the internet and practice in front of a mirror. If you have a friend that will take pictures of you that is another good way to see what works and what doesn't. I always have a problem with my neck. I have to consciously tell myself to stick it out for each and every picture.

The last piece of advice I have is don't be upset if you are cosplay a character that no one seems to recognize. A lot of characters wear normal clothes and you may end up blending into the crowed. I personally look for characters that people will recognize or that stand out.

Remember to have fun too. ^_^

Any other tips?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:17:31 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
Re: How to be a good cosplayer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »
You said that nicer and more concisely than I ever could, Thank you.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:10:55 pm »
Go for what the characters would actualy do, sometimes sacrifice a bit of acruacy for what might look better, such as in hair color or th eocasional fabric choice. Kenshin for example has very bright hair, sometimes it would be best to change him into a more natrual red head.

also think about how the artical would actualy be made.... take as few short cuts as possible. If your doing Gai sensei or Rock Lee, for example try to actualy make orange leg waramers possibley with sand in them to hold them down like they do in the anime/manga. dont just grab orange foam and wrap it around your leg, while that can be the quick substitute it doesnt always look the greatist. character designs have reason behind them, not always but ussualy.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:54:38 pm »
Something that I do a lot is go to cosplay.com or other places where people can post their costumes and compare them. Find things that some people did really well and things that could be improved on and use that for yourself. Also a lot of places like that will tell how they made some things. For example......lets take this Cloud cosplayer (I've been looking into them quite a bit recently XD)

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/177156/

His costume is well put together, his sword looks amazing but the only thing that really would help pull this whole thing together would be a good wig, or fixing his hair a little. He used the spray in dye.

Under the description he gave a short description of how he made the sword. If you have more questions you can always send him a message asking for a little more detail.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/160088/
here is another one. Also the costume looks great and the sword is unbelievable again. And the wig is not bad but it just seems a tad bit to long. She even said it was too long somewhere in there.

So find a character you want to do, look for reference pictures then look for other people that have cosplayed them well.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »
Fantastic thread, Nikkiolie. Once again, you're the spearhead of thoughtful function here on the forums. This thread should help a lot of people out.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:07:47 pm »
thanks guys ^_^.

I thought it might help out some. Feel free to post some other information if you like.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:10:12 pm »
I would just add Applicable Accuracy. Strive to make your costume as accurate as possible, but never wear something that doesn't work with your body type. If any bit of how you naturally look clashes with the costume as the character wears it, modify the costume to best suit your body. Don't strive for accuracy over proper function or appearance.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:12:53 pm »
Yeah that is very important as well. For example, if you want to cosplay a character that shows a lot of skin (lets say one that shows their stomach) don't cosplay them if you do not have the proper stomach for it. You could alter the outfit to cover your stomach up more. It may not be as accurate as possible but you will save yourself the embarrassment because people might make fun of you. Hell they even make fun of the skinny people x.x

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:24 pm »
^well said, both of you, about body types and fitting costumes to your body type/build. and well said about everything else, hehe.

also, if you want to cosplay a character you see somewhere, make sure you watch the anime/play the game before deciding. cosplay isn't just costumes, it's character traits and personality too, and you can't get those from just a picture. plus, it's always cool to hear the back story of why someone cosplays certain characters and it always seems better to have a good story/reason other than "i liked the picture of them" lol

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:22 pm »
Very good point, Kahlan. I agree. In my eyes, it is very hard for me to respect someone who is cosplaying yet knows nothing of the character except how they look. That isn't the complete package for me.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:01:41 pm »
Yeah....I tend to only want to cosplay characters from anime I have seen or games I have played >_> and if there is a character that I like the design in I look into the anime/game and go from there :P

That is how I got into Star Ocean. I saw a picture of Albel and fell in love with him ^_^
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:02:04 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:06:57 pm »
Yeah, it really helps to develop the character and the persona of the cosplay.

Similarly, you suggested I cosplay "Explosion-Man" (or whatever his name was) from Avatar, which I think would be really fun, but I would never think of doing it before watching the anime and learning about him. (By the way, I still really want to do that guy, seems fun.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:13:16 pm »
o3o I love this thread. ...so much. VERY helpful!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »
Yeah, it really helps to develop the character and the persona of the cosplay.

Similarly, you suggested I cosplay "Explosion-Man" (or whatever his name was) from Avatar, which I think would be really fun, but I would never think of doing it before watching the anime and learning about him. (By the way, I still really want to do that guy, seems fun.

Combustion-Man god get it right :P

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 10:18:40 pm »
lol, I'm so sorry   :P Because I've totally watched the show already.

Thanks, though, haha

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »
No problem. I still think you would be great as him XD

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »
I have a question.

Last year @ k-con, I asked a cosplayer if I could take his picture...I was pretty polite like I always am, but I was turned down with a "No." A couple seconds of awkward silence and then I realized he had said no. Then, I said, verbatim: "Ummm, okay, thanks..."

I was just flabbergasted since I never had someone say no, I mean, isn't it flattering for someone to take your pic? I'd be happy like a crazy school girl especially if I was cosplaying!

But, I was wondering if there was a better approach to this? I just felt awkward, but still very respectful.
And so it begins...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 03:05:06 pm »
you approached it the way you are supposed to. If they say no then they say no. Just say thanks and walk away. Sometimes after a long day I really don't want to pose anymore and am tired of having my picture take. Also the person might have turned down everyone.

Yeah getting your picture is a complement (at least to me) but some people don't want to have their picture taken. Respect their wishes and move on. I say you handled it quite well ^_^

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 03:16:25 pm »
Thanks, it was a new experience and I guess the situation just played itself out. I just wanted to know if there were different approaches since I had noooo idea! ^_^ Ah, I c. I've never wore myself down posing for pics, Nikkiolie, ya just so popular! ^_^

What to bring to the con:
Respect. R-E-S-P-E-C-T... don't make me sing... lol.
And so it begins...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:37 pm »
Well when you are standing still for about ten minutes with your back extremely arched it hurts x.x

We also turned people down when we were eating as well. That is something that people should know. If you see someone eating and you want to get their picture, either go up to them and ask them if you can get a picture of them WHEN THEY ARE DONE! or just wait and try to find them latter. I don't really find too much time to eat at a con and when I am eating it is a little break for me so I don't want to be bothered.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 05:09:59 pm »
There are also things to not do:

• DO NOT block the isle of the hotel with your props, or at least don't blame me if I fall over it and break it.
  • DO NOT yell at the top of your lungs "OMG (insert character name here)", and then trample five people in an effort to glomp the cosplayer. ( I may still be deaf in that ear)
  • DO NOT glomp someone in a mascot costume, that couldn't see you, so you nearly knocked them over. (Only happened about 5 times last con in an hour, and that was with a handler)
  • DO NOT touch or hug someones expensive clothing or fur when you are wearing makeup on your hands and face.  (Many Goth lolitas and Silver the hedgehog will thank you)
  • DO NOT walk in front of someone, who is obviously trying to take a picture.  I know this isn't easy to do, but do make an effort to notice what is happening around you.
  • DO NOT do really stupid and dangerous things for a picture.  I know that some of my favorite photos are also the scariest.  Bleach characters on the roof, Naruto characters in the trees, etc.  But if you fall out of the tree, or G*d forbid, fall off the roof and land on the pavement.  The best you can hope for is, you didn't die, and in some situations, you may have been better off if you had.  Best advice, DON"T DO IT!

I am sure there are many others, but these are the most annoying to me.  I think there may be a thread on this topic as well (I seem to remember it), but It is worth mentioning these again here.   ::)
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 06:34:50 pm »
Well when you are standing still for about ten minutes with your back extremely arched it hurts x.x

We also turned people down when we were eating as well. That is something that people should know. If you see someone eating and you want to get their picture, either go up to them and ask them if you can get a picture of them WHEN THEY ARE DONE! or just wait and try to find them latter. I don't really find too much time to eat at a con and when I am eating it is a little break for me so I don't want to be bothered.

Oh, ouch. I totally feel for you! Did you get a tan from standing in the sun too? Wait, I think it wasn't that sunny...(it's Oregon, lol). Yup, I totally agree with the picture-please-after-eating thing. I was asked for a picture when biting into a subway sandwich. LOL. No, I don't want my picture taken when I am shoving food into my face. LOL.

@Princessmoon
Yeah, someone asked me for a picture and I said no 'cause I was in a hurry, and I told him to come find me later if he still wanted a pic. The guy just said "Alright, it's fine ^_^" and we went our seperate ways.
So yeah, as long as you don't go "WHYNOTIWANTYOURPICTURE*drags to corner*" or something like that, you'll be fine. :D

Gotcha! I should drag cosplayers into corners, lol, just kidding! Thanks for all the input!
And so it begins...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 07:09:48 pm »
There are also things to not do:

• DO NOT block the isle of the hotel with your props, or at least don't blame me if I fall over it and break it.
  • DO NOT yell at the top of your lungs "OMG (insert character name here)", and then trample five people in an effort to glomp the cosplayer. ( I may still be deaf in that ear)
  • DO NOT glomp someone in a mascot costume, that couldn't see you, so you nearly knocked them over. (Only happened about 5 times last con in an hour, and that was with a handler)
  • DO NOT touch or hug someones expensive clothing or fur when you are wearing makeup on your hands and face.  (Many Goth lolitas and Silver the hedgehog will thank you)
  • DO NOT walk in front of someone, who is obviously trying to take a picture.  I know this isn't easy to do, but do make an effort to notice what is happening around you.
  • DO NOT do really stupid and dangerous things for a picture.  I know that some of my favorite photos are also the scariest.  Bleach characters on the roof, Naruto characters in the trees, etc.  But if you fall out of the tree, or G*d forbid, fall off the roof and land on the pavement.  The best you can hope for is, you didn't die, and in some situations, you may have been better off if you had.  Best advice, DON"T DO IT!

I am sure there are many others, but these are the most annoying to me.  I think there may be a thread on this topic as well (I seem to remember it), but It is worth mentioning these again here.   ::)

I agree with all of these. But to alter the blocking the hall ways a little bit. Just don't block the hall ways for any reason. If you want to sit or stand move off to the wall. If you see someone in the hall and you want their picture PULL THEM OFF TO THE SIDE TO TAKE THEIR PICTURE! Make sure they are out of the way as well as yourself.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:51 pm »
Hear Hear! or is it Here here?  Whatever, WOOT!
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 11:29:53 pm »
yeah people just don't seem to get that at cons -_-

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 08:43:55 pm »
I know what you mean... I hate it when people block the hallways, especially when there are a whole bunch of cosplayers and people trying to get through for something... -.- Or if they are just chatting and are in the way... if you want to talk to your friends, fine, but do it where you won't interfere with convention traffic :/

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 08:59:18 pm »
Yeah tell me about it. I enjoy sitting on the wall in a busy hall way just to watch people go by. Also walking the registration line is always fun ^_^ I like to look at people :P

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 09:15:28 am »
Haha Nikki, you creeper xD Lolx
I like goats.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 11:47:14 am »
Thanks for the advice, I've never been to a con before and I'm going for my first time this year and I'm hoping i don't do anything really stupid to make people angry at me :P

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 11:59:29 am »
Well, welcome! And really, if you just use your head, you'll get along fine. None of the rules are too unthinkable, a lot of it is just basic logic. Don't clog up hallways, don't jump on/violently glomp people you don't know, don't know you're coming at them, or look to have delicate costumes.

It's a lot of fun, and these basic rules will not seem like much of a hindrance once you actually get there.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 04:22:23 pm »
._. Yeah, I agree with random glomping. Some people don't like it.
AND THERE ARE ALSO VERY EXPENSIVE THINGS THAT THEY ARE WEARING. D<

I mean, it'll have the same effect if you go up and say something like 'Can I have a hug?!'. I personally don't mind that. But if someone comes up from behind and jumps on your back screaming the character's name along with every single yaoi pairing, I kind of try to stay away from them.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 08:08:58 pm »
I think another good thing not sure if it was posted here is that wigs should look as real as psossible.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »
I think another good thing not sure if it was posted here is that wigs should look as real as psossible.
Nah, my wig will look like plastic barbie hair.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 11:40:41 pm »
Like I said...try to make it as real as possible. Take my Cloud wig for example. There is only so much you can do to make it look realistic.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 05:42:01 pm »
I better hurry up and buy the materials for my cosplay..even know I'm still not exactly sure who i will cosplay as...I have a few ideas though.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 05:46:52 pm »
you got lots of time. You can always post a picture in the who should I cosplay as thread and get some suggestions there

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 06:21:35 pm »
you got lots of time. You can always post a picture in the who should I cosplay as thread and get some suggestions there

I would look very young compared to everyone there :P

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 06:27:31 pm »
So no one cares. And dana posted and she is 12.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »

I would look very young compared to everyone there :P
xD That just means you can pull off the cuter characters!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »
You can be Chiyo-Chan from Azumanga Daioh, haha. Or Rini from Sailor Moon. (I'm totally just judging based off the last two posts, so if you aren't this young/little, I apologize, haha).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »
I'm turning 14 next month..and also..ewww Sailor Moon.. I've been watching Hellsing and such since i was like 9 or 10. But I'll try and get an okay pic of me..it's just I and a low self confidence so I don't really like posting many pics of me >,<

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 08:14:18 pm »
I used to be the same but I got over it :P

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »
My camera broke..ill find a newish pic of me tomorrow

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 09:18:04 pm »
sounds like a plan ;D

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 03:54:37 pm »
I might not be able to take a picture of me today because I've been crying a bit sadly..i look kind of bad >,<

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 04:11:56 pm »
That is something that also helps make a good cosplayer. Don't be afraid of the camera. Sometimes the worst looking picture really can be the best one XD

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 05:01:45 pm »
...Ok i guess I have one that doesn't look too bad..I've just had a sucky day...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 06:17:34 pm »
I wasn't saying that to insult you or anything >_< I was just saying if you have a nice costume people will want to take pictures of you. So you can't be camera shy. Also if they are using a digital camera it is ok to ask them if you can see the picture. If you don't like it ask them to delete it and take a new one.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 06:36:33 pm »
I wasn't saying that to insult you or anything >_< I was just saying if you have a nice costume people will want to take pictures of you. So you can't be camera shy. Also if they are using a digital camera it is ok to ask them if you can see the picture. If you don't like it ask them to delete it and take a new one.
I didn't take it as an insult don't worry :P

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
Ok good. ^_^