Author Topic: Fake human skull?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
Fake human skull?
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:29 am »
Hey all,

I need a fake human skull as a prop to carry with one of my Sakuracon costumes.

No time to wait for online shipping, so anyone have any idea where I can find a fake human-sized skull in the Portland area?

I tried Beaverton's Halloween store, but I'll only buy it there if I find nothing else, they only had some kinda cheap-looking foam ones.
I need to spray paint this black as well.

Any ideas?  ^_^  Thanks! <3
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Fake human skull?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:29:53 am »
Well if it is foam I would avoid it. I got a bone for kimimaro that was foam and spray painted it and it saturated the paper covering the foam and dissolved the foam >_> I had to fill holes with clay, so I would avoid that one if you need to paint it.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:16:24 pm »
I'm not sure where you could get one, but if you do buy one made out of foam, you have to seal it before you paint it, otherwise what happened to nikkiolie's will happen. The paint will eat the foam.

I used the method in this tutorial and it works just fine: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:25:55 pm »
Have you tried the pirate shop at Lloyd Center?  They might have some...?
Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:21:28 pm »
nikkiolie & trumby- Thank you so much for that info!  I hadn't considered that!  ^^;  I would have been disappointed!

ladyknightsgrace-  That is an excellent suggestion!  I actually thought of it earlier but forgot in my rush-to-finish-cosplay induced madness, lol.  I will check with them.

Calling around to places will be fun.  "Do you have any fake skulls?  Are they human-sized?" Lol.

In one of my drawing classes, they had a lot of fake skulls and we drew from them one day.
Does anyone have any idea if an art store might carry such a thing, since people seem use them as drawing models?

Also, there are model skulls out there used for educational purposes.
Anyone know of any stores that carry educational supplies?

Thanks for your input, everyone!  I'll be calling around to several stores.
If only I'd given myself more time, I couldv'e gone the online route.   ^^; oh well...
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:30:12 pm »
Hey, related question, does anyone know where I could get a skull, a rib cage, and a couple of generic femur-ish bones?

:/ All the places online I can find selling that stuff are medical sites, and they're charging way more than I want to pay.
Kumoricon 2014: