Author Topic: Sewing a cosplay -- suggestions/tips?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline lit by twilight

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
Sewing a cosplay -- suggestions/tips?
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:49:44 pm »
So, I've never tried to sew my own cosplay before, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions that could help me out. I'm planning on trying to pull off Wallace/Mikuri of Pokémon:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2jcf3o3.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/ly1qr.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2jfnek1.png

It looks like the collar is actually attached to the shirt and that it sticks out of the top of the cape instead of being attached to the cape.

Anyone have any ideas/help for me? I know I could find someone to commission for it, but I'm not sure if I can afford that; also I think putting it together myself might be fun. If anyone has any ideas about how I could do different aspects of the outfit, I will be incredibly thankful.

Thank you!~

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Sewing a cosplay -- suggestions/tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:11:15 pm »
Hey there, glad to see more people cosplaying from Pokemon!

First thing I have to tell you if this is your first time sewing, the best thing to do is to work from a pattern. Trying to go off with out one usually doesn't end well. Try to find someone that has sewn before to help you alter the patterns you pick out too, because trailing off of the directions can be confusing too.

For the cape you'll have to get a heavier fabric (I think I usually get broadcloth when I make capes) so it falls the way you want. Trying to use a lighter fabric like cotton will just flop everywhere and look bad, not to mention wrinkle like a bitch. And remember to get some lining for your cape to get that inside color as well. Capes may seem like they're big and confusing, but they're actually really easy, so don't get discouraged.

You'll probably have to make the shirt and the hat as well. I'd give you some advice but just reading over what I typed I realized it was very confusing. Just remember to use a pattern as a base and alter what you need to.

For the pants you can probably just buy some white ones and dye them that color. You can get this stuff called RIT dye at Jo-Ann's that you just throw in the washer with what you want dyed.

If you are really lost though, just bring a picture of what you want to make to any fabric store and the employees there are sure to help you out. Most of the older ones have been sewing a lot longer then anyone on this forum and are very knowledgeable. Also if you do want to try to translate my sewing jibberish for the shirt and hat, just send me a pm. I'll even draw out it out in ms paint so it's a little easier to understand. Though I'm sure someone in here will be able to help you out more then I can.

Good luck with your costume!
and if you want to try to get through my sewing jibberish and have me draw out examples if you get stuck just send me a pm.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline lit by twilight

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:35:52 pm »
Ah, thank you so much! I hadn't even thought of using a heavier fabric for the cape. That's all so helpful. >w<

I'm definitely takin' notes now. I live pretty close to a fabric store, so I might pop in there when I have some time off too. :3

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »
another idea for the pants, if it's your first time sewing this is also good practice, is take a pattern for pj pants and use that to make the pants. That way you can learn how to pick, read, and work with a pattern...pj pants are probably the easiest thing to start learning to sew with
Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:21:54 pm »
well for the collor (of the cape) us cardbord and lie it on the fabric, and sew the other side of the fabric on the side its lieing on. (dont sew on the cardbord)

(sorry for spelling)
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:18 pm »
One piece of advice is to become familiar with your sewing machine. It would be awesome if someone could show you how to use it if you don't know already or consult the manual. I invested in a sewing machine last year and reviewed the manual and tested it before working on my cosplay. I'm still a newbie using a sewing machine and am probably rusty after not using it for a year since K-con last year.. lol.

Trial and error works wonders for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.. :P

Good luck!
And so it begins...