Author Topic: New rules for this forum  (Read 3102 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
New rules for this forum
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »
Recently, some of the activity in this forum has been getting out of hand. To make sure that this area remains a comfortable environment for everyone, a few new rules are being added:

New name

This forum is now the Off-Topic and Chat forum. It's a place where you can discuss topics which don't fit into any other forum area, and are not specifically related to anime or Kumoricon.

Which forum area to post in

If you have a topic related to anime, anime conventions, or Kumoricon in general, and it doesn't fit into any other specific forum area, post it in: General Convention and Anime

If you have a topic that is not related to any other forum area, or to anime, Kumoricon, or anime conventions, post it in: Off-Topic and Chat

This is a slight change from before, and due to the long history of threads in both forums, we'll leave existing threads where they are, and this new categorization will apply only to new threads.

Chat and allowed topics

If you want to "chat", meaning short back-and-forth messages between a few people without a specific topic in mind, please limit it to one of the few, ongoing "chat" threads that already exist. Please do not start chat tangents in existing threads. If this occurs naturally or by accident, these may be split off, or split off and locked, as needed. If you want to chat about a specific subject (such as attending a Kumoricon mini-event), you can start a new "chat" thread for it (you can even do this outside of this forum, in the appropriate forum area), but members are expected to stay on-topic within a thread, just as with any other thread on the forum.

Due to these changes, some topics that would have previously been posted to General Discussion will now be in here. Please respect threads which are dedicated to serious discussion about non-anime and non-convention topics.

Please make sure that each post contributes something meaningful to the thread, pick meaningful subject lines, and refrain from posts which distract from the conversation, such as using all caps.

We may lock some of the existing recent threads which have died off, in an effort to consolidate discussion into fewer, more appropriate threads.

Unfortunately, we don't have the resources (particularly time) to run and moderate a chat room. This also means that the forum cannot operate like a chat room, but we want a few threads where casual chat can happen. We hope these changes increase the quality of discussion and make everyone feel comfortable participating.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

oslapedo

Re: New rules for this forum
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:04:53 pm »
Just a suggestion, that could maybe be implemented next year, is actually closing the forums until it was a bit closer to con season. Then the forum drama would be nonexistant! 83

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
I have to disagree with the prior suggestion. To take the forums from everyone as a means to prevent further misbehaving from a few who are really good at it, that just seems wrong to me. In my view anyway.

But I don't think I have much to worry about. I can't see that ever happening. Victory shall never belong to a killjoy, haha.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

oslapedo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:17:19 pm »
Sorry, just putting it out there :D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:24:02 pm »
Oh of course, it is definitely an option, no doubt about that. I'd just hate to see it happen.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:44:27 pm »
I would be a sad panda if they closed the forums down for most of the year....

Also what if your cosplay takes a long time to make and you need to post questions at odd times of the year?

And our mini events and general meetings would just show up on the main page and Im pretty sure most wouldnt look.

Me no likey this idea.

But it is a good suggeston none the less  :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:57:35 pm »
~le gasp~ How could osla say that?!?!?!?!  :o

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:32:10 pm »
I'd also like to put in two cents - I prefer to keep the forum going year 'round because some events require long planning, like (for me) discussing next year's AMV rules and categories. That discussion has to be finished and frozen many months ahead of the next con so that AMV makers have time to follow the discussion, put in some opinions, etc.

After that, AMVs can take months to make, especially for new or first-timers (who we *all* want to encourage!)  Then the deadline is weeks ahead of the con, because after the judges make their selections, I have to go about sampling clips and preparing the playlists.

I suppose that some costuming ideas and group skits may also take months of advance work too, so that they'd benefit from keeping the forums running.

Another reason to keep things rolling is so that Kumori-fans may organize to show up at other cons and events throughout the year, and this forum is the best place for us to meet and plan.

However, if it's a bandwidth or storage space issue, then it might be possible to turn off way-off-topic threads or even erase them (rather than just lock the thread) if the mods feel they are no longer active enough to contribute to current events or the next con.

- G

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:14 pm »
I'm definitely planning on always keeping the forums running year-round. Aside from the Kumoricon attendee community being active all the time, staff work is going on nearly all year as well. It's a great form of publicity. A little bit of drama always happens in any community or working environment--it comes with the territory. Closing the forums for any time longer than a software or server update is not on the table.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:16:44 pm »
I had confidence in that fact, but still, thanks for putting my mind at ease, Jeff. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 07:14:47 pm »
~le gasp~ How could osla say that?!?!?!?!  :o
Because she has gone to the darkside.

And thank you senior Heff, we appreciate you keeping the forums open year long.  :)
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:11:48 pm »
Though this forum is majorly dedicated to activities involving the convention, keeping it up year-round also provides a place for meetups to be organized and updated where people of like interests (manga/anime, cosplay, games, etc.) can come together.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »
It also helps ease Post-Con Syndrome.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 05:39:37 pm »
i hate post-con syndrome
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 10:28:14 am »
My bad, I thought that this was the introduction forum.... lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:29:13 am by Sakis01 »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 09:28:06 pm »
I want to remind everything that necro'ing old threads (posting a non-contributing post in a dead thread) is not an appreciated behavior!  If a thread hasn't been posted in for longer than a few weeks, or if it's past the second page of threads, make sure you're able to post something meaningful or don't post anything at all.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>