Author Topic: Cosplay help  (Read 3980 times)

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
Cosplay help
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »
Ok I was thinking on the last day of K-con (if am going all 3 days) I was may be going to Cosplay as Vega (or known as Balrog in Japan) from Street Fighter. But there is a problem, he doesnt were a shirt, and am a girl, I have deiced to make the suit, I have all ready found some one to do the air brushing. And am making the claws out of wood.

What am I going to do about his mask? Thats what I need help with now.

Any Ideas?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:45:40 pm by RozenMaiden_Girl »
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cosplay help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:25:27 pm »
If you really want to, and are down for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ayi1ZC1xwc

Otherwise, any tight body suit that matches your skin color can be used and just illustrated on.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:33:15 pm »
That...was a really cool transformation...o.o

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:41:15 pm »
THANK YOU!!!

If you really want to, and are down for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ayi1ZC1xwc

Otherwise, any tight body suit that matches your skin color can be used and just illustrated on.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:04:20 pm »
OMG, that is AWESOME~  I kinda wanna crossplay now... ^_^  It would also work for males too~ if they want to portray a cosplay body like THAT~! woo~
And so it begins...

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 05:16:52 pm »
No problem guys. 8D

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:16:31 pm »
were am I going to find some one to do the Air Brushing?

No problem guys. 8D

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:29:54 pm »
Hmmm...where do you live? By Portland? There are some people you could commission there.

http://www.partypop.com/Categories/Airbrush_Artists/Portland.htm

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »
no, I live in sisters (OR)

Hmmm...where do you live? By Portland? There are some people you could commission there.

http://www.partypop.com/Categories/Airbrush_Artists/Portland.htm

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 07:52:35 pm »
Hmmm. That might be a problem. What big cities do you live by?

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 08:06:41 pm »
Bend and Redmen

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 08:09:02 pm »
Hmm~ I dunno, you'd have to ask someone who lives around there. D:

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 08:32:59 pm »
Yeah I'd go with the body suit
You'd have to find a body artist to do it for you or try a crack at it yourself.
As for the claws and mask
Buy a mask from Joanns or some crafts store and make it the way you want.
You know smooth out things and paint it whatnot
As for the claws, have a glove, use wonderflex it works wonders lol
they come in packages but not sure if their cheap or not.
good luck!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 08:35:54 pm »
Another option is maybe just making a gender bended version of Vega I suppose. Those seem to be pretty popular right now, you could just design a tube top like shirt to match his pants and just wear that. I think that may be your best bet. If you're going to make a body suit defiantly make sure to make the illusion of having the muscles that he has! Because I'm pretty sure, since you are a girl, you are not as manly rippling as Vega.

For the mask, it seems pretty simple. You could probably use a light wight clay (like model magic or paper clay, maybe even some kind of plaster) to shape the mask the way you want. I'm pretty sure you can sand any of those materials down too to make it nice and smooth too. You'll probably need a nice big strap for the mask to keep it on your head though. My best suggestion, whatever you end up doing, put on the mask before you put on the wig for your costume so you can hide what's keeping it on your head.

For the claws, the bracelet and diamond thing on his hand could be easily made out of craft foam. As for the actual claws, the cheapest way to do it would probably be with cardboard. There's a lovely cardboard prop maker you can find on cosplay.com that goes by the name of featherweight. He makes all of his props out of cardboard, including katanas, which I think could give you basics on how to do your claws. He has some tutorials in the forums on how to make cardboard props that would defiantly be worth checking out.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:37:15 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 08:37:28 pm »
I was gonna suggest cardboard but i didn't know if id look okay or not

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »
I try to suggest cardboard to any cosplay that wants a cheap way of constructing props. All of the props I have made are based around using cardboard, it's amazing the things you can do with it!

Check out some of the stuff the guy I spoke of before has done: http://www.cosplay.com/member/36633/ it's all made out of cheap materials like cardboard and poster board. He actually has published a how to book on his techniques that, I think, any cheap cosplayer (like me) should purchase.

EDIT:
Just to show that pretty much anyone can do great things with cardboard, I usually use cardboard as a base for everything I do. I try to reinforce it with this "secret paper mache" I use (straight elmers glue and brown packing paper, it's strong as hell) because I beat up my costumes a lot. Just a couple layers of that over pretty much anything and it's golden.

Examples:
The staff part is pvc pipe, but the heads of both staff's were made out of cardboard: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2010589/
Both the handcuff on my waist and my sisters anchor and white armor things bases were made of of cardboard and some upholstery foam: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1571916/

And I don't mean to be showing off my stuff, I didn't have a god damn clue what I was doing when I started cosplaying. My handcuff for my Bridget costume was the first prop I had made and I was surprised at how well it turned out. Seriously, if you have a little patience and are ok with spending more then five hours (over a couple weeks) on a prop it will almost always turn out successful.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:50:28 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 04:55:11 pm »
thank u for your help, but I dont like doing differant Genders of characters, plus I work out so I have a little musle. am doing the body siut.

Another option is maybe just making a gender bended version of Vega I suppose. Those seem to be pretty popular right now, you could just design a tube top like shirt to match his pants and just wear that. I think that may be your best bet. If you're going to make a body suit defiantly make sure to make the illusion of having the muscles that he has! Because I'm pretty sure, since you are a girl, you are not as manly rippling as Vega.

For the mask, it seems pretty simple. You could probably use a light wight clay (like model magic or paper clay, maybe even some kind of plaster) to shape the mask the way you want. I'm pretty sure you can sand any of those materials down too to make it nice and smooth too. You'll probably need a nice big strap for the mask to keep it on your head though. My best suggestion, whatever you end up doing, put on the mask before you put on the wig for your costume so you can hide what's keeping it on your head.

For the claws, the bracelet and diamond thing on his hand could be easily made out of craft foam. As for the actual claws, the cheapest way to do it would probably be with cardboard. There's a lovely cardboard prop maker you can find on cosplay.com that goes by the name of featherweight. He makes all of his props out of cardboard, including katanas, which I think could give you basics on how to do your claws. He has some tutorials in the forums on how to make cardboard props that would defiantly be worth checking out.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »
thank you for the help but, were can I get wonderflex?

Yeah I'd go with the body suit
You'd have to find a body artist to do it for you or try a crack at it yourself.
As for the claws and mask
Buy a mask from Joanns or some crafts store and make it the way you want.
You know smooth out things and paint it whatnot
As for the claws, have a glove, use wonderflex it works wonders lol
they come in packages but not sure if their cheap or not.
good luck!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 05:08:25 pm »
If you look online you can probably find it.
If it's to expensive wood is good alternative or cardboard

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 06:09:32 pm »

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 06:39:04 pm »
yah, thats all lot of money, I will go with would
If you look online you can probably find it.
If it's to expensive wood is good alternative or cardboard