Author Topic: Rubber and epoxy?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Rubber and epoxy?
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:04:10 am »
I'm going to be cutting and pasting a set of rubber feet together into the right shape. Do you guys know if there's any special sort of super glue or epoxy that I should use. I've heard that super glue will melt certain types of plastic and I don't want to ruin the things.

I need to cut off the two small toes and put them on the end of the foot, the character has two big toes.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Rubber and epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:07:24 am »
Well, from my experience, if there is the possibility of hot glue (from a typical hot glue gun) melting through the rubber/plastic material, there is always the option of getting a glue gun that switches the heat setting (or just getting a low heat glue gun). Those kind with the low temp. are meant for delicate materials or substances that would otherwise be melted by the normal temp. setting.

Other than that...I dunno, I haven't dealt too heavily with other forms of glue, but good luck, Tom! Is this a secret cosplay, perhaps?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:31:26 pm »
Are they rubber, or are they thick latex? That seriously changes what's needed.

Still, though, you could go into any Home Depot and ask them what the best substance is for gluing rubber. Super Glue most definitely is not one of them.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:15:42 pm »
Heard gorilla glue works wonders?
I'm not positive though

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:30:58 pm »
for latex ears my friend has used liquid latex and spirit gum...I don't know but you might be able to use those for the rubber feet
Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:22:13 pm »
I'd try gorilla glue, or rubber cement but to make sure i'd go ask home depot or someone on cosplay.com might know. Good luck ^_^

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:21:30 pm »
Dab some with a cotton swab on the bottom of the foot, give it a couple hours, and see if it does any damage.  super glue is nice because small quantities will do the job fine.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 02:33:15 pm »
I haven't used it on rubber/latex yet, but E6000 is some amazing stuff. I've used it on foam with no problems and I know it is one of the main things other folks in the 501st use on their armor.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:19:44 am »
I haven't used it on rubber/latex yet, but E6000 is some amazing stuff. I've used it on foam with no problems and I know it is one of the main things other folks in the 501st use on their armor.

Those are good products and work well. When I have worked gluing those materials, I use PLIOBOND Industrial Contact Cement. It's made for upholstry, rubber, latex, leather and similar materials. I usually get it in hardware stores.

I am also experimenting using the "goop" line of glues (the craft and marine ones seem to work well) and 3M automotive trim adhesives (very good with rubber and plastics)

Oh yeah, I should mention that you want to work in a place with really good ventilation. PLIOBOND in particular puts out alot of VOC's (vapours) and is very flammable. Safety first.
I have been making models/props for a very long time and learned some of these things the hard way.

Good luck, looks like a great project
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:23 pm »
So Rubber cement works great with rubber on other rubber. Not so good with rubbed and the inner shoe. *shrug* The feet hold together even when I'm walking around. They'd be perfect if I had some latex to cover the seams.

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:34 pm »
Wow, great work, Tom! I actually can't even tell you cut them up. There are two little holes, but really, I don't think anyone will be able to tell.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 02:02:51 pm »
Here's the costume the feet go with. (without feet and with an unpainted horn)

And here is the secret costume that I've been hiding.

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!