Author Topic: Going to Portland Saturday - Need help  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
Going to Portland Saturday - Need help
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:34 am »
Hi,
I live in Eugene so I don't know Portland very well.  I plan to cosplay as Hohenheim of Light from FMA for this KumoriCon.  I still need a blond wig and the full length mens dress coat and vest.  Any ideas on places to try in Portland?  I plan to go to Wig Land and probably drop by Mill End Fabrics as well.  I know there are some second hand places in Portland to try, but I have no clue as to where they are located.  Here are some pics of the coat and hair for the character:

Please reply with any locations you think I may try visiting.  An address or google map would be nice   ;D  It will be on Saturday, so if they are closed on the weekend I won't be able to visit, but you may mention places I can try on my next visit up.

Thanks
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Squallity

• Chibi
    • swagbook
Re: Going to Portland Saturday - Need help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:30:15 am »
I'm not sure what Mill End Fabrics is, but, I guess I could assume that it's a fabric store! ;D If you plan on making the coat and vest yourself, you could also check out Joann's (it's honestly the only fabric store I know of!). I checked the store-locater at the website, and here's the address, and other useful information:

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Larger Superstore
Eastport Plaza Shopping Ctr
3900 Se 82Nd Ave, Ste #1000
Portland, Oregon 97266-2945

Phone Number: 503-771-2855
Hours: Mon - Sat 9a - 9p, Sunday 10a - 7p

People say this all the time, but, Goodwill is really good when it comes to cosplay! I could find a few addresses for you, if you would like, or you could check out the search I did at Goodwill's website: http://locator.goodwill.org/servlet/Handler?street=&city=Portland&state=Oregon&zip=97220&country=USA&action=Search

I can also ask my mother when she gets up for work for the specific Goodwill that I went to, because I found just about everything that I needed there!

I've been researching places to find wigs around Portland, so, I have a store for you. I actually found quite a few, but most of them are either closed weekends, or are in places like Gresham, Beaverton, or Tigard.

The Pony Express Wigs & Boutique
11701 SE 82d Av
Portland, OR 97266 - 7710
(503) 794-9134

I can also look through my phone-books again, if you would like! ;D For Goodwills, wig places, whatever you need.
DMC4 Dante @ Kumoricon 2011

【Yu-Gi-Oh! 2009 and 2010 | Devil May Cry 2010 and 2011】
2012: Something Dragon Age related, hopefully. ;)

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:56:47 am »
If you're near Hawthorne Blvd, I highly recommend House of Vintage... It's huge, it's got a ton of varied stuff, and it's relatively inexpensive. I thiiiiiink it's on Hawthorne and 34th, though I might be a little off.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:00:41 am »
And if you have time you can come see us at the train station XD We'll be the KH group taking pictures :P

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21:49 am »
@Akesukeru - You have to go to Mill End sometime.  They are THE fabric store in Portland.   :o

I may try the Pony Express place if I can't find it at Wigland

The only problem with the Goodwill Goggle map is it shows drop-off locations as well, you can't buy from those locations.  I wish I could get it to only show the retail outlets.  Nothing worse than driving around a strange city and discovering that the place you went isn't even selling stuff!

@jaqua  - House of Vintage sounds interesting.  I may have to try going there looks like they are open 11-7 every day.  GREAT!

@nikkiolie - Remember I am from Eugene and I am driving to Portland.  So where might the train station be, and when will you be there?  I know you, and your group, post a lot and have many events, so I can bet that I could learn alot from meeting you all.   ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:45:40 am »
Value Village is also a really awesome place to get cosplay.  I know three of my really serious cosplay buddies get a good protion of their outsift from there.

5050 SE 82nd Ave
Portland, OR 97266

(503) 771-5472

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:13:07 pm »
@Akesukeru - You have to go to Mill End sometime.  They are THE fabric store in Portland.   :o

I may try the Pony Express place if I can't find it at Wigland

The only problem with the Goodwill Goggle map is it shows drop-off locations as well, you can't buy from those locations.  I wish I could get it to only show the retail outlets.  Nothing worse than driving around a strange city and discovering that the place you went isn't even selling stuff!

@jaqua  - House of Vintage sounds interesting.  I may have to try going there looks like they are open 11-7 every day.  GREAT!

@nikkiolie - Remember I am from Eugene and I am driving to Portland.  So where might the train station be, and when will you be there?  I know you, and your group, post a lot and have many events, so I can bet that I could learn alot from meeting you all.   ;D

I was just joking around but you are more than welcome to join us. The address for the train station is

800 NW 6th Ave
Portland, OR 97209

And we are meeting around noon. I'm not sure how long we will stay though =/

Offline seshetaxhikaru

• Sailor Scout
    • my random blog- Life Affairs
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
If you hit mcglaughlin theres a few places right on the road you may want to try. Theres a good will there, its a bit over priced IMO. But you may find something there. Also, theres the RED, WHITE and BLUE store (its a thrift shop) that sometimes has neat stuff. They're way cool for thrifty needs. Be sure to ask for the color of the day at both places. The items with that color will be half off. Both of these are south/down from mill ends (by the movie theater-oak grove). If you're coming from mill ends, you'll hit good will first on the left, right across from oak grove theater complex. Then red, white and blue will be on the right a small ways down. You cant miss the sign though.

50th and division- Barely worn (I thinkis what its called) Is an awesome one too.

sandy and 112th- better bargains-you have to dig through barrels of clothes but they're dirt cheap.
I'd rather be a first rate me, than a second rate someone else.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:41:34 pm »
On McLoughlin Boulevard, you will find a place called "The Dig" on the East side of the street in Oak Grove.  This is a great place to shop for dress clothes that won't break your budget.  I get most of my clothes here.

The Salvation Army Thrift Store on Highway 224 in the Milwaukie Marketplace is another excellent source of inexpensive dress clothes, as is the Good Will Thrift Store on McLoughlin and Concord in Oak Grove.  The Buffalo Exchange is another place to check, but it's more hipster/scene clothes than dress clothes.  They have a store on 42nd and Hawthorne IIRC as well as one in West Portland which I have not been to.  The House of Vintage probably isn't really a great place to find clothes IMO, but it may be worth checking as a last resort.  It's a neat little shop though, and a great place to peruse if you're looking for Vintage Records, great furniture, or old and odd electronics.

Hope this information helps.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>