Author Topic: photo hunt clue game!!  (Read 5122 times)

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
photo hunt clue game!!
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:14:33 am »
oyos

i just thought of something fun to play during the course of the con and i wanted to see if there would actually be any interest by any of you out there who are also attending.

this was inspired by the game of clue and scavenger hunts at cons. basically, its a photo scavenger hunt with a specific set of 'evidence' that needs to be gathered via digital camera or cell phone w/ camera. it'll start when the con officially starts on saturday, and there will be a clue as to how i 'died' that will give an area, weapon, and culprit. then you guys would venture out and get a picture of this evidence and then report back to a designated spot to turn it in. whoever has the best set will win.

just to clarify some things, these pictures can be taken separately (place, weapon, culprit) since its unlikely to get the all three together at once (though a smaller special prize automatically given to whoever actually pulls off getting one picture with all 3). also, there's more than one answer because the clues are somewhat vague.

example: "i died from a ball thrown by kira near the fountains where the animals play"

- the 'ball' could be any ball, and i know there's quite a few sports animes out there that uses a ball (prince of tennis, eyeshield 21, crimson hero, etc.) and i would even accept a haro cause it essentially a robot ball. so you'd find some cosplayer who has a ball prop and get their picture (they must have the prop).

- 'kira' could either be from deathnote or from gundam seed, even angel sanctuary. any character from a game or anime who goes by the name/nickname is allowed

- 'the fountains where the animals play' refer to the fountains between pioneer square and pioneer place mall. the location will be the only thing that will not be ambiguous, but it might not be clearly obvious from the clue unless you really know the downtown portland area

so afterwards, you'd bring the set of pictures to present and it will be judged on its composition of 'capturing the evidence' as well as choice of subject (ex: if you chose a football instead of a tennis ball, or kira-deathnote instead of kira-gundam). there will be a prize... don't know what yet but at the least, a real meal at one of the nearby mid-classy restaurants.

if there's enough people interested in playing this, i'll go ahead and finalize the details as far as when and where to meet. sadly, you need a digital camera or camera phone to play (so that you don't need to print the pics).

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
Re: photo hunt clue game!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:24:30 am »
This actually sounds pretty fun.~ The only question I have is when/where do we meet up to 'present the evidence'? I know you said you'd finalize the details but I was just curious and if I were to participate it's something I'd need to know.~~
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:58:43 am »
oyos

well i would definitely avoid having the deadlines at the same time as a major main event like cosplay contest and whatnot. i'm thinking about doing rounds in 4 hour intervals over the first 2 days (since people are more focused on leaving and buying last minute items from the dealers on the last day).

i'm aiming for 10~noon on saturday as the 'official start time as well as giving the clue' in the lobby of one of the hiltons (maybe leave a sign there to let other people know of the game, rules, and clue). then around 2~4 would be the meet up time at the same place where me and two others will look at your pictures and judge which one is the best. after choosing a winner, i'd reveal a new clue to do a new round which will be a little harder, and that would end 6~8 in the same place again. the sunday one will be the hardest so that will be given 6 hours to complete and i'd probably start it 9~11 and end it 3~4 in the same place.

anyways, the final times would be decided when the program schedules are finalized so i know when certain events are going on and work around it.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:01:02 am »
I think that would be quite funny. I would love to see the pictures that were a result of it :P

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:01:05 pm »
How many clues are you giving out? Are you doing different rounds of this at different times?
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:58 pm »
oyos

right now i have three clues prepared, so three rounds at the least which will last about 4 hours (so that you have time even if you go to a panel or even). if i can think of some more than i'll adjust the number and times to accommodate the new rounds. the clues i've came up with encourage some venturing into the nearby locations (within 10 minutes of walking to the hotel) that can be good for cosplay photos, as well as seeking out certain characters you may not be familiar with (which means you interact with people to get info). you can easily get creative with this, but you can't cheat by taking a picture of a poster or manga cover and such.

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:54:59 am »
oyos

alright, so i acquired a multi-card reader (so we can collect a copy of the picture with any kind of digital camera's memory card). we also have a micro/mini sd card adapter for those who have that on their phones. there will be 4 rounds over the course of the first two days, the start will be at 9am of saturday for the first clue to be revealed. i will see about keeping that clue and that round's end time posted somewhere in case you were not present or forgot.

round 1: start 9am 1st clue given, evidence turn in 1:30-2:30. round 2's clue will be given and posted for reference.
round 2: start 2:30, evidence turn in 7:30-8:30.
round 3: starts 9am 3rd clue given, evidence turn in 1:30-2:30. final round's clue will be given and posted for reference.
round 4: starts 2:30, evidence turn in 8:00-8:30 or whenever cosplay contest ends.

all the clues will have multiple interpretations (except for the location), so there is some freedom in what you choose as evidence. in regards to culprits, i have looked up all anime/game characters with the names/titles i will say in each clue so just find the one you know of. the winner of the round will be picked by the end of evidence turn in, and if they are not present, it will be posted on the next round's reference so they know. the meeting area will be in the lobby of the hotel, and i'll try to get the posted clues over at the info desk. in the end, i'll post all participating people's pictures online at the end of the con so you can all see what other people turned in.

Offline potatobug

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:05:50 pm »
Sounds like fun to me. My phone doesn't have a usd card slot on it, but I can email pictures. Is that ok?

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:10:58 am »
oyos

emailing or sending the picture if your phone plan is friendly for it, is fine too. i didn't want the people who would use their phones to be charged simply for sending/emailing a picture from their phone if their service didn't include it.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:07:05 am »
HIYA!!! Im Nik...I just made a forum account and everything and i just started cosplaying and its almost kumoricon...Anyway, I cosplay Renton Thurston From Eureka 7..(im friends with Dana..She made me my cosplay)...anyway, I might wanna play this game...It sounds like fun! So we just download the pics to our portable device...my phone cant e-mail or doesnt have a USB so Ill just bring my PSP ^_^

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:46 am »
nevermind....we could use the Micro SD for the phone ^_^

Offline kiichain

• Director of Operations
  • Sailor Scout
    • deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:46 am »
oyos

so i'm still trying to think of a good enough meet up area, but as default, the main building's lobby area in front of the staircase (like in the game of clue) will be the spot.

Offline sporkoon

• Chibi
    • Long neglected deviantart site
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:05:37 am »
that sounds fun! id be up for it ^_^
()()
(**)
(___)0
If love is blind, then I have 20/20 vision