Author Topic: What do you consider a "good cosplay"?  (Read 7510 times)

u3759

What do you consider a "good cosplay"?
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:33:53 pm »
To me, a "good cosplay" is attention to detail and a high quality costume. Having a costume that is nothing but recognizable is different from a cosplay that has all the right features to portray the character and his/her clothing.

I've heard multiple opinions on this, and I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks. :3
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:34:16 pm by danayoki »

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: What do you consider a "good cosplay"?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:38:58 pm »
A good cosplay to me is one that the owner really loves! C:
If someone is walking around in an outfit because they think it looks cool, well, I don't really think that's a good cosplay.
A good cosplay is when the owner really loves the character that they're cosplaying!
That's what I think atleast. :3

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:43:38 pm »
Attention to detail in all forms is a plus. I can't tell you how many times I get a little peeved or the hair color or something that's missing from a costume.

Also if they really know how to act as the character. Like they pose well for photos. Also if they choose a character that they actually sort of look like. If your 20, don't cosplay a 12 year old unless you look 12-14.

If your 15 don't cosplay a 20-25 year old unless you have the bodily requirements for it. >:/
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:49:07 pm »
That's a bit harsh Tofu. :'O
I dun wanna not be able to cosplay the cute peoples when I'm twenty! ;O;

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »
The quality of the costume, but also the cosplayer's ability to correctly portray the character's personality and presence.
Loving the character will make your cosplay more enjoyable for you and everyone else, but alone it's not enough. If your costume is something you just dug out of the bottom of your closet and threw on without putting any effort into it, it won't matter how much you love the character. (though I would hope that if someone loved a character they'd put more effort into their costume.)

Personally, I'm more impressed by costumes that the cosplayer made him/herself. Some people have really great costumes, but they commissioned someone else to make it for them, and while it's still a great costume... it's just not as impressive.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »
something that is well made (or at least has had effort put into it) that the person wearing either fits really well/or portrays really well.
I look at conventions a little bit like a giant play with a three demensional stage. The people whose performances impress me are the ones that I find convincing.
 ;)
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 08:02:26 pm »
XD well there are a lot of cuties that I'd love to cosplay as well right now but I don't fit them at all. If your still small and cute by 20 you still can. :3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:08:36 pm »
I'm already too tall to cosplay the people I do, but that's not gunna stop me! >:3
<3

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:11:39 pm »
A good cosplay to me is someone that can act as the character very well. Also a good quality costume. I have seen some cosplays from animes I know perfectly and I didnt even recognized it tell I asked them.

I love Naruto cosplays! They have the best feeling ever!

But anyone who does there character very well as in physicly,emotionally, ETC..

And I agree with Staryshay!

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:32 pm »
I believe a good cosplay is a cosplay that looks good.

As in, a good wig, a well-made costume with plenty of attention to detail, etc. I don't think you have to love the character, but you should put in enthusiasm.
"Would you kindly. ."

oslapedo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:58 pm »
I think the cosplay's good when it's accurate! It's also nice when the cosplayer's in-character B)

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »

As in, a good wig, a well-made costume with plenty of attention to detail, etc. I don't think you have to love the character, but you should put in enthusiasm.
Truth.

Plus anything with unnecessary satin is immediately out.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 09:02:02 pm »
omagard. That is so true...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 10:23:24 pm »
Did you put effort in to it?  If so, then I personally think it's a good cosplay.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 10:24:15 pm »

Truth.

I'd like to go farther and say anything with satin.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »
Naw, you 'n me, we'll still look twelve when we're 20.
I miss 2010.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »

Truth.

Works for me.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Auricle

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
Good cosplay is a costume that has one or more of the traits already listed or if the cosplayer really acts/looks like the character.

Great cosplay is when it's all combined into one. C =

Also shoot, I actually did get mistaken for a twelve-year-old the other day. My thirteen-year-old sister looks older than me. ;_;
Possible Future Cosplays:
Sergio - Minor Acts of Heroism
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Maybe something from Homestuck
? ? ?

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:18 pm »
^ Wow...When I was in MGS cosplay at the mall.... People asked if I was really in the ARMY....I know how you feel in a way...Upside down way..

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »
Accurate to the character.
Well made.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 05:42:07 pm »
When it looks like the person actually put some thought into the cosplay.
and the wig (or sometimes hair) is styled correctly XP Like I remember seeing cosplays of character with spikes without spikes .A.

Also The person needs to choose a character they can pull off (no, im not talking about body type) I mean with their sewing ability. Like someone who is new to sewing might not wanna choose Beatrice from Umineko.
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 07:29:44 pm »
Hm... I think having a similar body type can really help a cosplay though, since the closer your body type the more accurate it can be. Yeah, cosplaying's about having fun but bringing the characters to life is part of what makes it so fun.

An overweight lady trying to cosplay someone like Kamina could be cool/lulzy but not really accurate~

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:08:28 pm »

There is a big difference between expensive bridal satin and ultrabright costume satin, when the costume does need a faint bit of sheen to it...

Umm, for me personally... Well-constructed cosplay, at least MOSTLY accurate, with no bits fraying off or falling apart.  Able to act like the character for a picture (not like, stand there smiling awkwardly and holding your purse/backpack/bag/whatever...though I know ALL of us are a little guilty of this when we first begin cosplaying.) without being too obnoxious.. (example: Have a loud, rude character?  Be polite and remember you're in public when you're just wandering around the con space, but use a good pose and facial expression for picture requests!  Be the character WITHIN REASON.) And either A. has an actual high quality wig, or B.uses their natural hair, whether styled or not.  I personally would much rather see a great cosplay with some 'blah' normal hair than a great cosplay ruined by a pathetic looking $5 wig. 
It also never hurts to be physically attractive in the same way your character is...
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:01 pm »
Heres a example. He's in character, you could tell who he is. He's got a sword-EXTRA POINTS!

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nero.jpg

Now... If you want him to really be in character.. They need a picture of him doing the finger!

Now, THAT WILL BE GOOD.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 11:09:18 am »
A good cosplay is one that a person puts their heart and soul into it. If they are buying it then they did a lot of work to get the money. If you are making it well....that one is obvious. Also a good cosplay requires research on the character. I wouldn't say that you have to act like the character but you sure as hell need to be able to pose like them. If your costume is good people will ask for pictures so it is a good idea to have multiple poses (around 5 or 6). If you know you are going to get asked for a lot of pictures you will want more (10+).

As said before attention to detail. Pay attention to the fabric on the original character, is it shinny, soft, stiff, leather? Also the stitching is important too. However, a good cosplay will give up accuracy for what looks the best. For example, if a character has a satin outfit some cosplayers might choose a different material, one that will photograph better. Which leads me to another good point. Take a camera to the fabric store and take picture (both with and without flash) of the material you want to get an idea of how it will photograph.

Finally, a good cosplayer will so how get the prop if their character has a prop. For example, Cloud without a sword? There is just something missing there. If you can't make the sword or buy it try finding other props that you can use. For the time I didn't have a sword I used materia. If you really must have the sword (or other prop) there are a lot of tutorials on how to make a bunch of things and a lot of people on this forum that can help you out.

Cosplaying is about having fun, and believe me it is more fun if your costume is well made and looks great. Also, one good cosplayer is great but a group of good ones is fantastic :D If you are able to make a group. Talk with the group and go to the store to pick out fabric. Make sure that everyone knows what the other is doing and speak up if you think something should look different.

A L is good alone:
http://nickmain.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/death_note__l_1_by_slumberdoll.jpg

is better if in a group of other characters:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/132/f/5/Death_Note__This_Is_Heaven_by_behindinfinity.jpg

Offline Yatta Cloud

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:41 pm »

There is a big difference between expensive bridal satin and ultrabright costume satin, when the costume does need a faint bit of sheen to it...

Umm, for me personally... Well-constructed cosplay, at least MOSTLY accurate, with no bits fraying off or falling apart.  Able to act like the character for a picture (not like, stand there smiling awkwardly and holding your purse/backpack/bag/whatever...though I know ALL of us are a little guilty of this when we first begin cosplaying.) without being too obnoxious.. (example: Have a loud, rude character?  Be polite and remember you're in public when you're just wandering around the con space, but use a good pose and facial expression for picture requests!  Be the character WITHIN REASON.) And either A. has an actual high quality wig, or B.uses their natural hair, whether styled or not.  I personally would much rather see a great cosplay with some 'blah' normal hair than a great cosplay ruined by a pathetic looking $5 wig. 
It also never hurts to be physically attractive in the same way your character is...

Haha, I got that last line.
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays

-Unknown at this time

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 12:54:52 pm »
Having a good group is also more fun than cosplaying alone. My cosplay at K-con 2009 was from a series I knew almost nothing about, but the group was really fun to hang out with. I have some cosplays that I really want to do, but I'm not so sure about because I don't have a group.

Those are some great tips, Nikki. A lot of people forget about things like poses... and there are certain characters you don't want to be in character for - if your character is a total jerk, you probably don't want to walk around the con acting like that because people can take it the wrong way, especially since there will be at least one person who is unfamiliar with your character.

TUXEDO TEAM = WIN.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline Fachion-pari

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:52 pm »
I consider a good cosplay to be accurate, well thought out, and for the cosplayer to have a somewhat similar body type as their character. I mean, how can you call someone a bad cosplayer if they're fairly accurate? But, I do have a light peeve for wigs. I used to prefer people attempting to use their own hair, until I started cosplaying with a good wig. Then my opinion changed, haha. So, in short, a good cosplay in my opinion is someone with a fairly accurate costume, a wig, or at least with their natural hair that works with the cosplay, and that they are somewhat similar in body shape to the character they are cosplaying.
Kumoricon 2012!
Midori - Devil Survivor
Lal Mirch- Khr (possibly)
Masako - Mawaru Penguindrum

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 01:00:05 pm »
I think a good cosplay is where you study the costume (A-lot) and try to get it as close as you can with the money you have study your costume (I studied jack sparrows for 6 months - a year) and I am still finding out more little things about his outfit it also helps if you can pull of the way they look and body type I think i did a okay job with jack sparrow at k-con 2009 but people told me it was amazing and even won "best hall cosplay" sweet

jack will be at k-con 2010 with more of a screen accurate look :D

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 12:14:53 pm »
I'm a REALLY picky. Hair, outfit, body type, attitude, makeup are all really important to me, but my pet peeve is... THE SHOES. Additional props add to the effect of the outfit, but usually aren't necessary. Shoes though... You downgrade the outfit's effect if the shoes aren't right. I'm also kind of finicky about hight, at least when I'm in a photoshoot with other people.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:16:33 pm by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 04:45:41 pm »
I'm already too tall to cosplay the people I do, but that's not gunna stop me! >:3
<3
Haha, i'm too short for the charas i want to cosplay!
gave up on kallen, chi, yuffie, and yuna cuz it would just look weird if i wore them and im only like 5''3 T^T
but i do like cosplaying 12 year olds sometimes, hehe
(i know anya isnt a lil kid, but shes short, which is perfect for me :D)
KUMORICON 2017
Mikasa Ackerman | Pikachu

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 08:40:09 am »
To me, a good cosplay is one that visibly indicates passion for the art of costume design.  This includes attention to detail, attention to character, effective use of materials, depth of effort, and how well the costume is converted from its original context to a real-life outfit.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Sky-Z

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 06:08:00 am »
You know, someone who doesn't have an incredible body type can still cosplay and do a very fine job at it. It's really rude to say that you have to have the exact body type otherwise you will be laughed at. Grow up a little children. : /
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:08:29 am by Sky-Z »
Cosplay Line UP~

Gaia - Maybe?: 100%
Kororo(Final Full Form) - Shaman King: 0%
Vespiquen - Pokemon: 0%
Ark - Sound Horizon: 0%
Chopper - One Piece: 90%

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:35 am »
^--- There are ways around body type. You can alter your costume in little ways to give the illution that you have the same type as the character you're trying to portray.

A good cosplay, in my opinion, is when someone studies the costume and character and dose everything possible to recreate them. Don't cut corners and don't settle until you're satisfied. My personal pet peeve are wigs. Start with a good wig!

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:33 pm »
^ Yuffie is sort of short anyway though.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:06 pm »
I'm kind of with everyone about this and that.  To me good quality cosplay can mean anything so long as the person wearing it enjoys it.  Sure, to me it's more eye appealing when the hair and costume are accurate.  But I think so long as the person is trying and they get the character down, it shouldn't matter.  If you're doing a cosplay just because people force you to or something, and you're not enjoying it; well it could be the best 'looking' cosplay in the world but I don't that makes good quality.  To me it's all in the way a person presents the character. 

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 02:00:34 am »
btw... rikku is said to be 5'3" officaly. yuna is 5'7"

anyways! a good costume to me is one you make your self (which can be from scratch or altered CORECTLY) that you love and pour your heart and soul into. NEVER COSPLAY A CHAR YOU HATE. you are more then likely to look over certain things and end up hateing the costume even more.
and usualy the best costumes are one thathave been revamped a million times! for example: my thief rikku has transformed at least 4 times and is going on its 5th! a costume and char you love can always use improvments and makes your bond with the costume even more enjoyable.
also study the way your char acts! if your cosplaying tidus and arnt hyper as he is it just doesnt work, same for cosplaying squall and not being depressed.
but most of all the best ones are ones the cosplayer has fun in ^^
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)