Author Topic: Kcon experiences; be they funny, sad, scary, etc.  (Read 7647 times)

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
Kcon experiences; be they funny, sad, scary, etc.
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »
last year was my first con ever and i wasn't sure about the whole cosplay thing, so all i wore were (really cute) cat ears, jeans, a shirt and jacket. I got hungry around noon, and headed out to this area where there were people cosplaying as construction workers, ninja, etc. i ended up not getting anything, and on my way back i was stopped by two random guys asking if i was eighteen and wanted a job. That scared the cr@p out of me, to be honest. Even after i told them i was underage, they just kept......looking at me. i had enough, so i said goodbye and walked back to the safety of the hotel.
Now i laugh about it, but i want to take this chance to remind everyone to please not go outside alone. For your own safety, if nothing else.  ;)
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
Re: Kcon experiences; be they funny, sad, scary, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:51:16 pm »
Um...I ran into a window on the way to a photoshoot?

Well yeah last year was also my first con but I was lucky and got some friends to help me when I needed it, I also decided to cosplay because I thought it would be really fun and I got a lot of praise and stuff for making it so cheaply. So pretty much I had a ton of fun and met new people :P

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:58:44 pm »
Funny: The best way to end an anime convention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrY2ZxcKGDM

Epic: Getting called up on stage with Cynthia Martinez in my Lina Inverse cosplay twice for photos!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:11:09 pm by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:26:44 pm »
Funny: The best way to end an anime convention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrY2ZxcKGDM

Epic: Getting called up on stage with Cynthia Martinez in my Lina Inverse cosplay twice for photos!!

i watched that, it was hilarious! i wonder if it weirded out the horse dude a little though.....?  ;)
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:58:55 am »
I got to ask, is the horse dude from anything? Cause all convention long my sister and I was wondering if he was supposed to be from this messed up youtube video of this Japanese guy with a horse head cooking wild mushrooms.... O.o Though that guy wasn't wearing a suit in the video.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:00:38 am by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:01 am »
Honestly, I haven't really had any memorable events at Kumoricon worth mentioning. In fact, I can't think of anything really worth mentioning at all, unfortunately.
Well, other than at last year's where some woman storming out of the Kirk Thornton autograph signing shouted "move!" to me and the person I was with as we were getting ourselves together in the hallway... Even though there was lots of room all around us as we were just up against the wall. Meh, [Bleep!]. >>;;

[Edited by Allykat for Language]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:18:54 pm by AllyKat »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:19:36 am »
Last year was my first Con too, and now I can't stop obsessing over it. I had a bit of an awkward moment outside last year. You see, I work in Portland at Northwest Children's Theater doing various things, and thus know all the regulars pretty well. I don't really talk about my love for anime though, so I was surprised when one of my coworkers walked up and asked what was going on, only for me to turn around, fully dressed as Apollo Justice and them recognizing me. Then came the long 30 minutes of me explaining Anime, K'Con, and cosplay. Luckily, being a theatre kid, she understood pretty fast, but it was still awkward. Then at another time, also as Apollo Justice, someone wanted a picture of only my 'Objection!' sign and not me. I guess that's sort of normal, but still.

(Also, who all got assassinated by the Altäir last year?)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:17 am »
My boyfriend and I were walking down the street to the Max to go home the last day of con in our Black and White Mage costumes. Some little kid on the other side of the road saw us and yelled "MOM, MOM THOSE GUYS ARE WIZARDS!" We laughed really hard and thought it was adorable.

I also had a little girl walk by me while I was in my Miria dress and say "LOOK MOMMY, SHE'S LIKE A PRINCESS" and I got all watery eyed because she was so cute ;.;

And not really Kcon, but it happened right before, at the Pokemon Picnic I planned last year there was a small family with two little kids having a picnic in the area we were in. The little boy came up to us, didn't know who or what we were dressing up as, and started to talk to us. He told me I was scary because I had fangs in but when I took them out I was ok. We went around a circle asking if we were scary or not until he told ManofthePublic that he was indeed, scary.

We talked to him about random stuff for a bit until his dad came up to grab him. When his father said they needed to go on a hike the little boy asked if we could come too or if he could stay and hang out with us. He was probably like 4 or 5, it was sooooo adorable ;.;.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:49 pm »
i got super bored last year and helped out the kcon staff. it was my first con last year and i was kinda proud of my cosplay. (even if i did forget an important part of it.) But i wasnt over all impressed by what i saw. i liked all the different cosplayers but it was really hard for me to meet new people. they all seemed so... absorbed and intimidating... until i helped out in the info booth. I remember when this japanese business man came up to the table and asked us what the whole kcon was about. i didnt know he wasnt in cosplay until after i had already taken his picture.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:05:53 pm »
All my favorite parts of '09 happened in my hotel room or in my friend's hotel room. We watched movies and played Uno and stuff. XD

'08 was my first con and the best one yet. XD
I miss 2010.

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »
The first official glomp I got was last year cosplaying Daisya. I call it official because out of nowhere a Luxord launches herself at me and I stumble back several feet while my associates watch in a mixture of awe and horror.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 12:50:51 pm »
Culitivating Mushrooms in the corner with the No-Face cosplayer while waiting in the autograph line for Svet. :D

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
Last year was my first and i also have nothing really worth mentioning, but as for the altair  he killed my friend in line for the dance so i "tripped" and stuck him with the sticky note.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
lol, these replies have been very interesting.....i wonder, what was the weirdest and/or funniest thing that ever happened that was con and/or cosplay related?

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:46:46 pm »
Accidentally went into the Men's restroom... I was so embarassed. Happened at Sakura-con too. sheesh...
And so it begins...

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:22 pm »
I lol at that, in a i'm-laughing-at-the-embaressing-situation-not-at-you kind of way

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 11:33:47 pm »
That's funny.  Apparently, when I was in one of the men's bathrooms someone came in and immediately left.  I came out and the guy's friends (2 girls) were both laughing because he got scared when he walked in.  He thought he accidentally walked into the women's bathroom.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »
lol

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 02:37:24 pm »
 :D

I was horrified at the time, but it's all funny now. Laugh away! ^_^

I don't know how in the world I missed the gender signs. Two outcomes came from each encounter:

@Kcon : 2 guys entering saw me leave and stared gapingly (perhaps they thought I was actually a guy?) haha
@Scon: 1 guy saw me come out flustered as I tried to find the correct restroom which was ~100ft across the other side. same person later asked me for my picture... ahahaha, good times.

LOL
And so it begins...

Offline ephemera

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 07:47:12 pm »
@reppy:  I've caused that - cosplaying a male, too.  It was pretty hilarious.
Close the world, txEn eht nepO.

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 01:18:25 am »
The craziest thing I've ever had happen to me at Kcon was back in 06 when I was cosplaying Toshiya's Yokan outfit and some random guy screamed Toshiya and RAN straight at me and picked me up off the ground and would not let go! That was my first con on the first day, lol. But I thought it was very flattering all though I was kind of weirded out that some TALL guy ran at me and just picked me up. 0_0

Other funny things are things like watching people. Just sitting there and watching people be silly, lol.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »
Funny: Being kadaj, and getting onto a lift with the Turks on it ;-; we were both looking awkwardly the other way xD

Sad/nice: Cosplaying post-sex death note with friends, so clothes were all messed up. Con drama happened. Ran back to hotel crying, was stopped by guy asking me if someone had tried to hurt me. He bought me a drink and listened patiently to my story.

Random nice con-goer... thank you, whoever you are ;-;

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 06:07:18 pm »
I've never actually cosplayed because I am to poor. But 2 years in a row I was recognized as some obscure anime character (apparently the mayor of something) by multiple people.
But my main memories are just hanging out with people. For example, Little Richard and the Permanent Kaiser! Anyone who remembers that <3
And this wasnt at the con but shortly there after, I ran into a group of people from con and randomly started a mock battle.
The of course all the random glops.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:14:10 pm by LexManos »

Offline Dae

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 01:31:15 am »
That's funny.  Apparently, when I was in one of the men's bathrooms someone came in and immediately left.  I came out and the guy's friends (2 girls) were both laughing because he got scared when he walked in.  He thought he accidentally walked into the women's bathroom.
This, in the ladies' room. :P
I was dressed as the Tenth Doctor... um, a lady dressed as a TARDIS picked me up and carried me around for about half an hour, saying I was her child. Eek.
Nothing is as easy as it looks
Everything takes longer than expected
And if anything could possibly go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 09:31:49 am »
Oh also, right around the time I walked into the window (it was raining) my clothes slowly were becoming see through (everything) since my outfit was made out of curtains and a sheet. (I sound so poor, it looked good though!)

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 09:09:09 pm »
haha that's like last year, it started to sprinkle a bit and my best bud was dressed as toad (of mario fame), with suuuuppper awesome, but suuuuppper thin white poofy pants. She became immediately and deeply concerned that the rain would make her pant's essentially invisiable on the way to con-space.

However, she had also made herself a rather gigantic toad hat. This solved the problem in that her entire body fit under it and it acted as an umbrella.
Good times.
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 11:08:59 pm »
kcon 08: vercera running up to us while chibiorochimaru took pics of my rikku cosplay "DONT MOVE!" *takes a few photos*

wasnt at kcon but @ sakuracon 09: i was winterschool uniform usagi walking in the dealers room and a little girl jumping up and down shouting "SERENA SERENA!!!" and demanding a picture with me (so adorable....)
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »
@animenext: im helping out with a friends suminagashi workshop thing, and i SPILL a whole bucket full of water on the ground. everyone in the room starts to clap at my epic fail. I of course, stand in the middle of the recently made puddle looking stupid.
animenext: im outside and i see fireflies for the first time. I leave my pacman friend in the dust and go galloping about with the fireflies. oh! and I ran into a sweeny todd. he was super cool!
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 10:22:33 pm »
I was dressed as the Tenth Doctor... um, a lady dressed as a TARDIS picked me up and carried me around for about half an hour, saying I was her child. Eek.

As I am aspiring to find a way to cosplay the TARDIS for Orycon, could you tell me how that person did?

My epic cosplay moment was Kumoricon 2004, our 1st year in Portland. My 1st crossplay. I'm there in a tux with tails and top hat gloves the works as Tuxedo Kamen. I have not told anyone of my crossplay. I show up at Live Action Sailor Moon Slumber Party --- as fate would have it, exactly at the moment Tuxedo Kamen shows up on screen. Tom the Fanboy OMG's & provided my first whammy of a glomp. This, I will never forget.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 11:12:05 pm »
It was pretty epic, my friend and i went to the masquerade ball last year, and stood around for like 1/2 an hour. My feet were KILLING me (stripper heels will do that), and my friend had to use the restroom. So we went in, and she went to use the restroom and i sat in the AWESOME seating area. Ended up taking up a conversation with the girl reading in front of me, and we all spent two hours in the bathroom (ish) talking, tons of people came and went thro that convo. It was so much fun.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

As I am aspiring to find a way to cosplay the TARDIS for Orycon, could you tell me how that person did?

My epic cosplay moment was Kumoricon 2004, our 1st year in Portland. My 1st crossplay. I'm there in a tux with tails and top hat gloves the works as Tuxedo Kamen. I have not told anyone of my crossplay. I show up at Live Action Sailor Moon Slumber Party --- as fate would have it, exactly at the moment Tuxedo Kamen shows up on screen. Tom the Fanboy OMG's & provided my first whammy of a glomp. This, I will never forget.

Haha, that's kind of epic.
I love Tom. :D
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline anime_rocker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 12:32:52 am »
 K-con '08, my first con ever, i was 13 years old and trying to open my first ramune. i was sitting in an arm chair and my friends were scattered in other chairs/on the floor talking amongst themselves while i struggled to push the marble down with my weak little arms. as soon as it opened, i started giggling madly at my success, interrupting my friends, mid-conversation. lol

friend: "i think it was the episode with the robots or something..." -ksh- me: "hahahahahahahaha!!!" -insert awesome awkward silence here-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:33:32 am by anime_rocker »
i wanna be a mongoose. can i be a mongoose dog?

Offline UnderTaker

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 06:57:11 am »
K-con '08, my first con ever, i was 13 years old and trying to open my first ramune. i was sitting in an arm chair and my friends were scattered in other chairs/on the floor talking amongst themselves while i struggled to push the marble down with my weak little arms. as soon as it opened, i started giggling madly at my success, interrupting my friends, mid-conversation. lol

friend: "i think it was the episode with the robots or something..." -ksh- me: "hahahahahahahaha!!!" -insert awesome awkward silence here-

I've been con-hopping for 3-4 years now.

I still can't open a bottle of Ramune. ;A;.

Offline anime_rocker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 01:56:46 pm »

I've been con-hopping for 3-4 years now.

I still can't open a bottle of Ramune. ;A;.

i've gotten much better at it, i find that trying to open them on flat AND stable surfaces works best lol. when i opened my first one i had it resting on the set of the chair i was sitting in with my feet on either side of it so i could use both arms to push the marble in ^_^'
i wanna be a mongoose. can i be a mongoose dog?

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »
I once witnessed a certain high ranking staff/board member pick up an innocent staffer and body slam him on the main events hall at 2:30 am, only to pummel his helpless form.

Then I got pictures and put them up on the internet and we all had a laugh!

*entire first sentence is to be read in a lighthearted tone as no one was injured during the event and it was all in good fun*

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »

* SPINNING PILEDRIVER *

2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 06:42:39 pm »
*whistles* I wonder what daring photojournalist risked his life to take those photos!

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »
very nice. people do some pretty funny things when theyre under stress.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 09:32:20 pm »
there are many ....stories *laughs*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »
I think we can all agree that Eric has never been "innocent" a single day in his life lol
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations